Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Are you getting the Wii U?
This poll is closed.
Yes 9031 65.25%
No 1191 8.60%
Maybe 808 5.84%
I'm an idiot 460 3.32%
Waluigi 1603 11.58%
Waa 748 5.40%
Total: 13841 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Ultigonio
Oct 26, 2012

Well now.

MaxDuo posted:

I've only recently been following the thread a little, and I'm pretty sure I've already seen 6 or 7 people ask if they can use the Wii U Pro Controller to play Wii games.
Hum. Even the current OP tackles this - it's the second question in the F.A.Q. with a nice, simple picture that I'll probably be re-using for the new OP. Any ideas on how to get people to actually read the dang thing?

jivjov posted:

I really don't get gamers sometimes...if a game explains every last little thing and makes sure you understand how it works before proceeding, then its too handholdy. If a game gives you the basics and then just lets you dick around and discover what all you can do with said basics, then its too obtuse and needs more tutorials.
While I won't disagree that, uh, "gamers" are a bit of a tough crowd, you can definitely make it so that your game isn't too tough to understand without giving the player a tutorial every five seconds. People shouldn't need a tutorial for how to jump or look around, unless they are done in ways that break convention.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations
Is there anywhere that has Wii U Pro Controllers for a little less or am I going to just have to pay full price?

Ultigonio
Oct 26, 2012

Well now.
The Afterglow Wii U controller is a bit cheaper, but I've heard its build quality is less-than-stellar. Haven't heard anything about the Nyko one.

MaxDuo
Aug 13, 2010

Ultigonio posted:

Aw, geez. It may just be that TP and Wii Sports are, unfortunately, both of the games that CAN'T have their data copied? I was able to do it with Kirby's Epic Yarn, Wario Land: Shake It!, and DKCR. I wish I knew which games could and could not have their save data copied, but that sounds like an absurdly difficult and tedious task.

Maybe they changed it at one point? All I know is, when the system came out, I was very annoyed that I couldn't just copy save files from "system 1" and then put those save files on "system 2." It pissed me off that they got rid of memory cards and left us with no way to take our progress to a friend's console. I never tried it again after my first month of owning the Wii.

Ultigonio posted:

Hum. Even the current OP tackles this - it's the second question in the F.A.Q. with a nice, simple picture that I'll probably be re-using for the new OP. Any ideas on how to get people to actually read the dang thing?

I honestly have no clue. In the 3DS, eShop, and Wii U thread there seem to always be people who just come in and ask w/o reading the OP. I guess some are just lazy and have a "NOW NOW NOW NOW" mentality and won't ever look :(

Spacebump posted:

Is there anywhere that has Wii U Pro Controllers for a little less or am I going to just have to pay full price?

Someone recently posted that KMarts (or at least in his area) were clearancing out the Wii U Pro controllers for $30. I mostly keep up with this thread to spot any awesome game sales or to see if there are any big U Pro controller sales. Sadly my closest KMart is 20 minutes away in the direction of nothing I ever go to, so it's not really worth it to use the time and gas to possibly find they don't have them / maybe don't have that price at mine.

Edit: Also apparently if you order from playasia, you can get the Japanese ones (no region locking on controllers) for $30 or so. Granted the S&H is high enough that you should only really do this if you want to order 3-4 controllers. You might even save a bit on 2 controllers.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
2 Japanese controllers + shipping for me was $66 from PlayAsia. Not too bad. That said, one of the controllers I got was defective and I'm still engaged in a bit of a customer service dispute to get it replaced.

Ultigonio
Oct 26, 2012

Well now.

MaxDuo posted:

Maybe they changed it at one point? All I know is, when the system came out, I was very annoyed that I couldn't just copy save files from "system 1" and then put those save files on "system 2." It pissed me off that they got rid of memory cards and left us with no way to take our progress to a friend's console. I never tried it again after my first month of owning the Wii.
Yeah, after doing a very small amount of research, it looks like some games just don't allow their save data to be copied for goodness-knows-what-reason. I'd love to have a list of games that can't have their save data copied because it would be incredibly helpful to a lot of people, but it would collectively take more time and effort than the entire rest of the OP.

the truth
Dec 16, 2007

Buy them from play asia for less than $30. The shipping for one is steep at $15, but you can buy two for $75 shipped.

deafmute
Jun 24, 2003

You can't choke if you chew forever
:dukedog:
If anyone bought a refurb console and needs a charging cradle for the gamepad Toys R Us has them on clearance for $0.98(stock varies widely from store to store)

MaxDuo posted:

Someone recently posted that KMarts (or at least in his area) were clearancing out the Wii U Pro controllers for $30. I mostly keep up with this thread to spot any awesome game sales or to see if there are any big U Pro controller sales. Sadly my closest KMart is 20 minutes away in the direction of nothing I ever go to, so it's not really worth it to use the time and gas to possibly find they don't have them / maybe don't have that price at mine.
It's at all Kmarts, they're no longer carrying pro controllers and are trying to clear out any remaining stock. You should call the one near you to see if they have any, it'll take you like 2-3 minutes to find out.

Spacebump posted:

Aside from the play-asia/kmart things people mentioned it doesn't look like there are any other active sales right now but if I find anything I'll post it here.

Spectacle Rock
May 24, 2013
The refurbished units don't come with a docking station? How sad :(

I really love my Wii U now. Been playing a lot of Mario Kart 8 when I get the chance. Still need to play through Pikmin 3 but, Mario Kart 8 man!!

Spectacle Rock fucked around with this message at 03:28 on Jun 30, 2014

Hashy
Nov 20, 2005

MK8 and W101 have justified my Wii U purchase. I've been shocked by how smooth (if barebones) MK8's online functionality has been and W101 has exceeded all expectations in that I thought I bought Pikmin: The Anime and got one of the better spectacle fighters ever made.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

PrBacterio posted:

This is a really stupid derail, imho :( Anyway, still on the topic of Platinum games and related to the Daisy chat from earlier, apparently she's now more or less confirmed as another bonus Nintendo costume in Bayonetta 1 for the Wii U.

at what point in the video does it say that? Because it's 15 minutes long and I can't be bothered to watch the whole thing.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

at what point in the video does it say that? Because it's 15 minutes long and I can't be bothered to watch the whole thing.

His link should go directly to it on desktop (no idea why YouTube doesn't allow it on mobile) but it's around 3:09.

LaserBaconMan
Jan 13, 2014

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

3 minutes in? It links directly to the spot he was referring to.

E:f,b

Ms. Unsmiley
Feb 13, 2012

Fremry posted:

Yeah, I definitely don't want to play a game where people consider the first play through a "practice run". That's what a tutorial is for, not the whole drat game.

You're intended to play the game multiple times, which is why you don't start off with the harder difficulties. The fun comes from practicing the mechanics and seeing yourself visibly improving at the game and being able to complete harder and harder challenges as the game throws them at you.

If you only have the patience to play through a game once and then never again then Platinum's games probably aren't for you, which is okay! I would have thought that most people would enjoy a $50 game that encourages you to play it a lot instead of just once, though.

Also Bayonetta having a Daisy costume is very important because Daisy is the best princess. I'm going to summon Bowser and punch the hell out of angels and its gonna own.

Fremry
Nov 4, 2003

Hashy posted:

MK8 and W101 have justified my Wii U purchase. I've been shocked by how smooth (if barebones) MK8's online functionality has been and W101 has exceeded all expectations in that I thought I bought Pikmin: The Anime and got one of the better spectacle fighters ever made.

NSMBU has justified my purchase already. I'm loving it and just finished the 6th world with 100% of the star coins so far. It's classic SMB to the point that my girlfriend is playing it because the last game she played was Super Mario World.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Fremry posted:

It's classic SMB to the point that my girlfriend is playing it because the last game she played was Super Mario World.

That's probably the biggest determining factor for whether or not you'll enjoy NSMBU - if you haven't played a 2D Mario game since SMW then by all means, go and get NSMBU, but if you've played all the NSMB games as they've been released it's not gonna feel like anything special, even though it's definitely the best NSMB game so far.

Either way, I'd still recommend 3D World over NSMBU.

Crawfish
Dec 11, 2012

Ultigonio posted:

Yeah, after doing a very small amount of research, it looks like some games just don't allow their save data to be copied for goodness-knows-what-reason. I'd love to have a list of games that can't have their save data copied because it would be incredibly helpful to a lot of people, but it would collectively take more time and effort than the entire rest of the OP.
A good way to cut that list down by a decent amount is to cut out pretty much any Wii game that had online features or capabilities, because as far as I know, none of those can be saved to SD cards.

Fremry
Nov 4, 2003

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

That's probably the biggest determining factor for whether or not you'll enjoy NSMBU - if you haven't played a 2D Mario game since SMW then by all means, go and get NSMBU, but if you've played all the NSMB games as they've been released it's not gonna feel like anything special, even though it's definitely the best NSMB game so far.

Either way, I'd still recommend 3D World over NSMBU.

Yeah, I already have 3D World. I'm just playing this now because I will very likely enjoy that more, but I'm having a great time with it. I think about it when I'm not playing it, which is always an indicator for me that it's extremely engaging.

insidius
Jul 21, 2009

What a guy!
Has anyone else noticed just how long the battery in the pro controller lasts?

I have a mate over Friday/Saturday nights and we play MarioKart and Rayman, he has been using this control for easily 16 hours a week for the last month and a half
and I have still not had to actually plug this thing into charge.

It just seems to sip juice something crazy, my gamepad on the other hand I have to basically tether myself too.

I am super impressed with the pro controllers battery though.

matrix ripoff
Mar 16, 2005

~~~~~~~
i only suck dick in self defense
~~~~~~~
and at the bookstore
~~~~~~~

CatsPajamas posted:

• The Gamepad has a stylus?! It totally does.

Speaking of which, is it possible to buy a replacement stylus for the gamepad? I tried using a 3DS stylus, and it fits, but it's juuuust small enough to make it a pain to dig out of the gamepad.

decoy octopus
Oct 26, 2005

You fat Loco, you fat

matrix ripoff posted:

Speaking of which, is it possible to buy a replacement stylus for the gamepad? I tried using a 3DS stylus, and it fits, but it's juuuust small enough to make it a pain to dig out of the gamepad.

http://www.amazon.com/Wii-U-Rainbow-Stylus-Pack-Nintendo/dp/B008U25YW4/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1404100537&sr=8-1&keywords=Wii+U+Stylus

Ultigonio
Oct 26, 2012

Well now.
It's also worth noting that the DSi stylus is a functional alternative that fits quite snugly into the stylus slot - though you'll need to have a very tiny bit of nail to pull it back out.

Ultigonio fucked around with this message at 06:27 on Jun 30, 2014

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

insidius posted:

Has anyone else noticed just how long the battery in the pro controller lasts?

I have a mate over Friday/Saturday nights and we play MarioKart and Rayman, he has been using this control for easily 16 hours a week for the last month and a half
and I have still not had to actually plug this thing into charge.

It just seems to sip juice something crazy, my gamepad on the other hand I have to basically tether myself too.

I am super impressed with the pro controllers battery though.
I got mine fairly early on when Best Buy was clearing some out for $25 and I think I've charged it like twice. [Insert snark about lack of games here] but even with that I'm still impressed that it held a charge while idle too. Like I bought it and played some stuff (NSMBU maybe?), sat for a while before playing a shitload of 3D World, sat for a while then played MK8, etc. The time I saw orange light during MK8 is when I realized I couldn't remember charging it other than when I got it and did an initial charge.

numerrik
Jul 15, 2009

Falcon Punch!

My local best buy and the other ones near me are selling the pro controllers for $40.99, also the official wii u headset is $5, it is awesomely built and really comfortable, and good for me, because I play late at night when everyone else is asleep.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster

numerrik posted:

My local best buy and the other ones near me are selling the pro controllers for $40.99, also the official wii u headset is $5, it is awesomely built and really comfortable, and good for me, because I play late at night when everyone else is asleep.

Could I pay you price + shipping for you to pick up one for me?

e: A headset, that is.

numerrik
Jul 15, 2009

Falcon Punch!

Worth noting, the $5 clearance on the headsets is available on bestbuy.com. They regularly retail for $9.99, and are made by rocketfish, who is my experience make good products. The Pro Controller discount price isn't on bb.com

Ultigonio
Oct 26, 2012

Well now.
Here's a rough preview as to what the new F.A.Q. will look like. It'll be divided by topic, and each question will have a "number." Since I realized that some questions may fit in multiple different sections, numbering these questions gives a way to make the answer easy to find for whoever is looking for it while not sacrificing overall organization. In this example, section III is the "New Owner" section of the FAQ. Naturally, a new owner wants to know what kind of controllers they should be picking up, but it's arguably a question that fits better in the Controller section. Each section has a small-sized graphic header (for style and spacing), followed by a numbered, titled, and bolded text header (for function). If anyone has any ideas, suggestions, or critique, I'm all ears. The full F.A.Q. should be done pretty soon, at which point I'll post it for feedback, but I wanted to get some feedback on the general ideas present before I put too much time into some of these elements.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
drat. I've been trying to 100% Wind Waker HD because I never did with the original. But I've reached a point where I'm basically stuck. I had seven pieces of heart left to get. So I went to a list of heart pieces. Most of them I had gotten but I revisited every piece of heart where I wasn't 100% double dog sure I had it. After going through the list one at a time, I'm now missing five pieces of heart. And I am sure I have them all! Except maybe the auction house, I'll have to double check. And I've gotten all 46 chart treasures at this point too, and only need a photo of Ghoma to finish the gallery.

greatn fucked around with this message at 13:04 on Jun 30, 2014

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox

greatn posted:

drat. I've been trying to 100% Wind Waker HD because I never did with the original. But I've reached a point where I'm basically stuck. I had seven pieces of heart left to get. So I went to a list of heart pieces. Most of them I had gotten but I revisited every piece of heart where I wasn't 100% double dog sure I had it. After going through the list one at a time, I'm now missing five pieces of heart. And I am sure I have them all! Except maybe the auction house, I'll have to double check. And I've gotten all 46 chart treasures at this point too, and only need a photo of Ghoma to finish the gallery.

Not sure what to tell you except for you done goofed somewhere, bud.

Fremry
Nov 4, 2003

Ultigonio posted:

Here's a rough preview as to what the new F.A.Q. will look like. It'll be divided by topic, and each question will have a "number." Since I realized that some questions may fit in multiple different sections, numbering these questions gives a way to make the answer easy to find for whoever is looking for it while not sacrificing overall organization. In this example, section III is the "New Owner" section of the FAQ. Naturally, a new owner wants to know what kind of controllers they should be picking up, but it's arguably a question that fits better in the Controller section. Each section has a small-sized graphic header (for style and spacing), followed by a numbered, titled, and bolded text header (for function). If anyone has any ideas, suggestions, or critique, I'm all ears. The full F.A.Q. should be done pretty soon, at which point I'll post it for feedback, but I wanted to get some feedback on the general ideas present before I put too much time into some of these elements.

I think this makes sense, but if there's too many "Go see this section" it might get confusing. I think it'll make most sense when you have the full F.A.Q. to show.

Also, thank you so much for doing it. I think a lot of us, spoken or not, really appreciate the time you've put into it.

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax
I just want to say that I am so excited for Bayonetta 2.

Every fiber in my being wants to play this game.

mulls
Jul 30, 2013

What is the best SNES controller for Wii U without paying $80 for a second hand Nintendo Japan club reward thing? I'm debating either getting one of those adapters that allows you plug an original SNES controller into a Wii Remote or getting a second hand Wii Classic controller, but am open to any suggestions. I bet my local pawn shop has a bunch if Wii Classic controllers for like $4 each.

Googling just sends me to an endless list of awful looking third party Wii Classic controllers that look like they'll break immediately.

LaserBaconMan
Jan 13, 2014

greatn posted:

Are you positive you haven't missed a single piece of heart on this page?

Even check the ones you're sure you've gotten. I missed one on my first playthrough because I was 100% sure I got it early on. It was the battleship one, and I completely skipped that particular building. :downs:

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter
Buy a normal classic controller since they're identical to the SNES controller except for the addition of two analog sticks.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

mulls posted:

What is the best SNES controller for Wii U without paying $80 for a second hand Nintendo Japan club reward thing? I'm debating either getting one of those adapters that allows you plug an original SNES controller into a Wii Remote or getting a second hand Wii Classic controller, but am open to any suggestions. I bet my local pawn shop has a bunch if Wii Classic controllers for like $4 each.

Googling just sends me to an endless list of awful looking third party Wii Classic controllers that look like they'll break immediately.

The classic controller is fantastic. The black one that came with (I think) Monster Hunter Tri is probably my favourite controller of the past decade.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

LaserBaconMan posted:

Are you positive you haven't missed a single piece of heart on this page?

No. I've missed five, but reading over them, I remember getting them. My problem is I'm combining multiple play throughs in my memory. I'm going to have to check one by one. I checked about seven where I wasn't completely sure and ended up with two more pieces, the rest I WAS sure on but I'll have to check them one by one manually now.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Ultigonio posted:

Yes, actually - I did this myself for a couple games since I didn't feel like dragging the Wii out. I've noticed that there are a handful of games whose save data, for whatever strange reason, cannot be copied (might be because they utilize specific Mii data, I dunno), but if all you want to do is copy a save of a retail game to your Wii U, you can avoid transferring. That's goin' in the OP!

I'm assuming the reason why some games' saves can't be copied is because they have some online component. The two games I couldn't copy over (Brawl and Last Story) both had online components and didn't get transferred over to my Wii U (through the official process, no less!).

I'm guessing the other part of that is for games with known exploits (that would explain the Twilight Princess one).

Most of my game saves did transfer over, though, and most of them can be copied between systems.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
So what's the deal with playing virtual console games through the OG Wii mode? Obviously you can't use a GCN controller, does the classic controller work with all the games?

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

PantsBandit posted:

So what's the deal with playing virtual console games through the OG Wii mode? Obviously you can't use a GCN controller, does the classic controller work with all the games?

Yes. Pro controller won't work in Wii mode, but the classic controller is compatible with every virtual console game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,
we won't need eyes to see.

PantsBandit posted:

Buy some Classic Controller Pros and have your OG VC needs covered

• Locked thread