Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

Anyone going to DragonCon?

:getin: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3646985

...I don't have any content to make this post better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Whitz
Dec 17, 2012

malal posted:

I'm thinking Necron with one dull LED eye, a Space marine helmet, and a Eldar helmet of some sort. for the Base guns or an arm would be cool.

You should be able to knock out a decent looking space marine from EVA foam in no time at all. Example -

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.245917125569718.1073741844.225646287596802&type=3

I don't think I've ever seen a necron helmet (or a decent eldar come to think of it) but I'm sure the same techniques can be used.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

my cat is norris posted:

Anyone going to DragonCon?

:getin: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3646985

...I don't have any content to make this post better.

Dragon*Con is the thing I miss most about leaving Atlanta. It was awesome to be able to go without having to shell out for a hotel, and being able to take the train and crash at your own house is amazing. Maybe someday I'll make it back there.

fallin1
May 14, 2007

...mostly MSG.
The new pictures of Arkham Knight Scarecrow have put my other projects on hold. I've now got to update my asylum costume it seems.

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

Dragon*Con is in the plans for me. I have one costume done and am working on others. Though perhaps this thread can give me some advice. My best friend is cosplaying Daria and is trying to talk me into going as Jane Lane. The only problem is I'm a dude who's about 19-20" across in the shoulders and I have not been able to find a red jacket big enough. Does anyone have an idea where I should be looking for one that won't break the bank?

The Electronaut
May 10, 2009
I just picked up Thief, I really want to do Garrett's costume. What a huge undertaking that would be.

McKilligan
May 13, 2007

Acey Deezy

The Electronaut posted:

I just picked up Thief, I really want to do Garrett's costume. What a huge undertaking that would be.

Not really. You can skimp on the details because if you do it right no-one will see you.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
My local con (Convergence in the Twin Cities) is coming this weekend. My wife and I are doing 3 costumes, together, and we realized that for two of them she's being my daughter (Joshua Nolan and Irrisa from Defiance, Bob and Tina from Bob's Burgers). I've got this weird sense of calm where I know I'm totally not ready but I'm just choosing to not worry about it rather than worry about it (but maybe I am ready?)

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

McKilligan posted:

Not really. You can skimp on the details because if you do it right no-one will see you.

I'd say I see what you did there, but after looking around for five seconds, i've decided nothing was there after all!

---------------------------------------------

I just dropped a dumb amount of money on more wire. Hopefully I can now get some more progress done on my girlfriends chainmail. Its a bit late, but does anyone know of any good wire suppliers in the UK? I've looked around and the closest place I could find was france.

sinky
Feb 22, 2011

Slippery Tilde
http://wires.co.uk/

They sell wire :v:
I bought some aluminium wire from them a while ago and didn't have any problems.

LadyRavenWaves
Dec 18, 2007
You don't get stronger by lifting baby weights
Well Lapras is on hold for a bit. The dying didn't come out quite right so I need to do a second round of it. Then found out I am having surgery so I am going to have to take it easy before and after... lame. But my dive ball came in the mail and I can maybe attach the crystals while I am bed ridden.

Anywho some of what I managed before I had to put on the breaks.

McPantserton
Jan 19, 2005

IRONICALLY SWEALTERING

Oh no, I hope you're ok! Your health is way more important, obv. Everything is looking beautiful though and when you can finish it's going to be great.

Here's my weird-ish looking progress for now, doing more deep detailing on the breastplate, starting detailing on the shoulder blanks, and I built the rough base buck for the lower legs. My goal for the 4th of July weekend is to get all of the undecorated bucks done, so lower legs, feet, thigh patterns (not going to vacuum form), knee plates, and hand plates need to be built. I think I can do it!

Bag of Hamsters
Jul 12, 2006

Gimme yer frickin pancreas

I needs it for reasons.
Did a shoot for Velvet last Saturday and my ridiculously awesome photographer has already delivered a photo. I consider myself very lucky that we're friends since he doesn't go to cons anymore.

Went to the Morris Arboretum outside Philly. Moderately hot, kinda buggy (I blew at least three gnats out of my nose), and I slept for almost 15 hours afterwards because photoshoots wear me the gently caress out, not to mention all the makeup prep since I had a full back tattoo to cover.

One of the psychers broke near the end when I tripped, but I want to remake them anyways as the glow is almost non-existent in sunlight. Need to bundle those loving LEDs and I'd like to try thicker acrylic so I can bevel the edges and have a stronger join.

Now onto Ryuko from Kill la Kill, because I need an easy school uniform palette cleanser before Tiny Tina.

McPantserton
Jan 19, 2005

IRONICALLY SWEALTERING

Bag of Hamsters posted:

Did a shoot for Velvet last Saturday and my ridiculously awesome photographer has already delivered a photo. I consider myself very lucky that we're friends since he doesn't go to cons anymore.

Went to the Morris Arboretum outside Philly. Moderately hot, kinda buggy (I blew at least three gnats out of my nose), and I slept for almost 15 hours afterwards because photoshoots wear me the gently caress out, not to mention all the makeup prep since I had a full back tattoo to cover.

One of the psychers broke near the end when I tripped, but I want to remake them anyways as the glow is almost non-existent in sunlight. Need to bundle those loving LEDs and I'd like to try thicker acrylic so I can bevel the edges and have a stronger join.

Now onto Ryuko from Kill la Kill, because I need an easy school uniform palette cleanser before Tiny Tina.

:swoon: Oh my glob, you look just fantastic!

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

You look amazing!!

Mask 2.0 is finished, now on to figuring out the rest of this ridiculous helm.

LadyRavenWaves
Dec 18, 2007

McPantserton posted:

Oh no, I hope you're ok! Your health is way more important, obv. Everything is looking beautiful though and when you can finish it's going to be great.

Here's my weird-ish looking progress for now, doing more deep detailing on the breastplate, starting detailing on the shoulder blanks, and I built the rough base buck for the lower legs. My goal for the 4th of July weekend is to get all of the undecorated bucks done, so lower legs, feet, thigh patterns (not going to vacuum form), knee plates, and hand plates need to be built. I think I can do it!

I want fancy breast plates with fleur boobs... so cool! And don't worry it's nothing to big just enough to be an inconvenience.

Bag of Hamsters posted:

Man this is soooo awesome. You are such a great Velvet. I really need to do some photoshoots of my costumes that have no good photos.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

Well I'm just getting started on this project. Dante from Devil May Cry 3.

I've beaten DMC 3 like a dozen times and I've seen so many crappy dante's at cons that I want to pull out a good one( well made and actually have the right bodytype).

Now this isn't for a while, since I won't be travelling to a con until next year. I've given myself a crapload of time as I'm terrible with rushing stuff and want it all finished before spring of 2015.

I'm started work on his props first. I've found some good tutorials on how to make dante's sword. I've done prop work before, but never something of this size. Does anybody know what type of wood I should use for something of this size? I need to it for the base.

McKilligan
May 13, 2007

Acey Deezy

Monaghan posted:

Well I'm just getting started on this project. Dante from Devil May Cry 3.

I've beaten DMC 3 like a dozen times and I've seen so many crappy dante's at cons that I want to pull out a good one( well made and actually have the right bodytype).

Now this isn't for a while, since I won't be travelling to a con until next year. I've given myself a crapload of time as I'm terrible with rushing stuff and want it all finished before spring of 2015.

I'm started work on his props first. I've found some good tutorials on how to make dante's sword. I've done prop work before, but never something of this size. Does anybody know what type of wood I should use for something of this size? I need to it for the base.

I made a similarly large sword - The Abyss Greatsword from Dark Souls, and I used Pine for a base. It turned out really well - pine is a fairly soft wood so it's easier to cut, rasp, and sand. You do hard to be careful though as you have to make sure you have a straight piece, it has a small tendency to bend, but if you get a good cut you should be golden.

If you're curious, here's my build album - http://imgur.com/a/JPatJ. I think Rebellion is actually pretty similar, you could use almost the exact same process I did.

McKilligan fucked around with this message at 06:17 on Jul 5, 2014

Tiamat
Jul 25, 2008

yer a wizard, harry

LadyRavenWaves posted:

I have to say I have used a few things and so far my favorite is Kryolan Aquacolor: http://www.cosplaysupplies.com/store.php?s=IQ9R I use this with a barrier spray and it worked well for me. I did about three layers of the barrier spray just in case and it stayed on well what I loved is that unlike some stuff it comes off with a little soap. Ref of me in the stuff sorry I don't actually have a great pic of this costume.

I made a custom color blend by chipping cakes and sifting them together and repacking the pallet but they have a large selection of colors.

i finally got around to trying the Kryolan makeup. infinitely better than the Ben Nye stuff i'd tried before. thanks for the rec! i did notice it tended to stain my skin a bit until i showered the next day, but that's a small price to pay for color that goes on faster and looks nicer :)

LadyRavenWaves
Dec 18, 2007

Tiamat posted:

i finally got around to trying the Kryolan makeup. infinitely better than the Ben Nye stuff i'd tried before. thanks for the rec! i did notice it tended to stain my skin a bit until i showered the next day, but that's a small price to pay for color that goes on faster and looks nicer :)

Yea I love the stuff, it also smells nice. I will never go back to Ben Nye again. Glad it worked well for you!

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

Getting roommates involved in my silly project? Just a bonus.

Going to work on helmet stuff tomorrow! Wish me luck.

Mask was sliding down my face throughout this process. Any recommendations for elastics or whatever I need to attach this to my face and keep it stable? Foam padding inside? Somethin'?

Kilo147
Apr 14, 2007

You remind me of the boss
What boss?
The boss with the power
What power?
The power of voodoo
Who-doo?
You do.
Do what?
Remind me of the Boss.

I know they make some adhesives for holding masks to skin, though they are made. For lightweight masks. Spirit gum, I think?

The Repo Man
Jul 31, 2013

I Remember...

7thBatallion posted:

I know they make some adhesives for holding masks to skin, though they are made. For lightweight masks. Spirit gum, I think?

Make sure that if you buy ANY adhesive agent that you do some research on its release agent as well. Most adhesives used in makeup and costuming don't dissolve in water or sweat. I take it there is no cowl piece? You could easily make something to hold it on if there is. You may even be able to get clever with fishing line to hold it on if you have too.

Edit: will anyone be at MetroCon or Youmacon this year?

Kilo147
Apr 14, 2007

What boss?
The boss with the power
What power?
The power of voodoo
Who-doo?
You do.
Do what?
Remind me of the Boss.

When it comes to prop weapons, where do you draw the line on realism?

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

Oh, there is a whole separate piece to the head gear, but I am keeping them detached. On the advice of a friend I am going to try some different straps, first, and then go from there.

hhhat
Apr 29, 2008
my cat is norris: Don't know if it will spurn any ideas, but I did this a while back as a head-attachment method for my wacky mask. Yes, that's a cannibalized Wolfpack belt. Attached it with drywall screws. Holds together really well, stays on straight even with the mass in the front. Not sure I'll need anything else once the weight of the rest of the headpiece is pulling down on the back.

As far as painting, I'm stopping here. Darkened it a bunch, added more grime, some detail on the horns.

Next up, fabrics. And maybe a better way to attach the fingats to my lower arms (right now, laces, which are going to require help, but maybe that doesn't matter, since just having the mask on will require help).

I have even less idea how to approach building the cloak thing than I did with the mask. I know what sewing *is* and I could attach two things together with it (with no grace, but this thing is supposed to look ratty), but the planning is going to take some serious thought. Pointers welcome.

And Bag of Hamsters, that is amazingly well done. Looks fantastic!

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

McKilligan posted:

I made a similarly large sword - The Abyss Greatsword from Dark Souls, and I used Pine for a base. It turned out really well - pine is a fairly soft wood so it's easier to cut, rasp, and sand. You do hard to be careful though as you have to make sure you have a straight piece, it has a small tendency to bend, but if you get a good cut you should be golden.

If you're curious, here's my build album - http://imgur.com/a/JPatJ. I think Rebellion is actually pretty similar, you could use almost the exact same process I did.

Thanks for this, it's quite helpful!

The Repo Man
Jul 31, 2013

I Remember...
Kamui Cosplay also has tutorials on how to use foam for props. I can't remember if she has tutorials on how to make swords or not. It would probably be a lot lighter to try foam, but a little more fragile.

http://www.kamuicosplay.com/

navel fluff
Sep 2, 2011
Long time lurker, first time poster.

I recently finished (?) my cosplay of Merag from Yu-Gi-Oh Zexal (yes, I know, I've heard it all before). For the most part, I'm pretty happy with it considering how ridiculous the design is.

This is what I managed to come up with. There's paint and glue stains on the dress, unfortunately, but I'm hoping I can just photoshop them out if necessary, because there is absolutely no way in hell I'm remaking it right now. I also have a zentai suit, gloves, and boot covers not in the shot.

What worries me is that dress hem. It's made of expanding foam with a PVC pipe base (cardboard wound up being too flimsy), covered in paper mache/gesso and painted. As a result, it's fairly heavy, and while that won't bother me, I'm worried it will 1) put too much strain on the seams of the dress, even though they're serged; 2) chip or crack if it takes a hard blow when I try to crabwalk through doors.

Trouble is... I don't know how else I could make it. I thought about making a hollow structure using worbla -- lighter and sturdier, perhaps, but I have no idea how I'd go about shaping it without it getting lumpy and gross. Craft foam? I don't know, I'm kind of at a loss.

Any suggestions, thread? You guys seem pretty prop savvy.

McKilligan
May 13, 2007

Acey Deezy

navel fluff posted:

I recently finished (?) my cosplay of Merag from Yu-Gi-Oh Zexal (yes, I know, I've heard it all before). For the most part, I'm pretty happy with it considering how ridiculous the design is.

This is what I managed to come up with. There's paint and glue stains on the dress, unfortunately, but I'm hoping I can just photoshop them out if necessary, because there is absolutely no way in hell I'm remaking it right now. I also have a zentai suit, gloves, and boot covers not in the shot.

What worries me is that dress hem. It's made of expanding foam with a PVC pipe base (cardboard wound up being too flimsy), covered in paper mache/gesso and painted. As a result, it's fairly heavy, and while that won't bother me, I'm worried it will 1) put too much strain on the seams of the dress, even though they're serged; 2) chip or crack if it takes a hard blow when I try to crabwalk through doors.

Trouble is... I don't know how else I could make it. I thought about making a hollow structure using worbla -- lighter and sturdier, perhaps, but I have no idea how I'd go about shaping it without it getting lumpy and gross. Craft foam? I don't know, I'm kind of at a loss.

That does look pretty heavy and cumbersone - Have you considered just using thin sheets of EVA foam? It wouldn't be as three-dimensional, but this seems like one of those designs where I would sacrifice fidelity for practicality - it would be much lighter and wouldn't put so much stress on the fabric.

McPantserton
Jan 19, 2005

IRONICALLY SWEALTERING
With such a rounded shape I might consider making it out of vinyl or fabric and stuffing it, too. A heavy-weight metallic fabric would still have a lot of body to it but it wouldn't be at risk of tearing off or getting busted up the same way.

I've been lax with 40k progress shots, all my stuff still looks dorky. So ready to start doing detail sculpting. :gonk: In the meantime, here's a shot of my husband's cowl and tabbard, he is so much better at sewing than I am it's not even funny. He's going to be an adeptus mechanicus this time around. :)

Bag of Hamsters
Jul 12, 2006

Gimme yer frickin pancreas

I needs it for reasons.

navel fluff posted:

Honestly? I'd use 4 way metallic spandex, stuff it, and reinforce it with wire to maintain shape. As long as you load the batting in small pieces and smooth it out as you go, it looks good. I stuffed the tip of my Velvet hood, for example. If you're REALLY concerned about keeping the spandex smooth, stuff a fabric shell and build an EVA foam structure over it. Perhaps some plastidip for strength on top. Really though, metallic spandex, batting, and wire would do everything you want it to.

And thank you, guys. :3: I don't do the con thing anymore nor bother with a site, so it's nice to share this stuff with awesome fellow costumers.

The Repo Man
Jul 31, 2013

I Remember...

7thBatallion posted:

When it comes to prop weapons, where do you draw the line on realism?

For guns: Always orange tip. I wouldn't carry anything without it, unless it's a very obvious fantasy weapon. If it looks like it could really shoot, orange tip.

For anything else: I want my repo knife to look like it could really hurt someone. I would want a sword to look like it could really hurt someone. When I showed my sister this picture, she freaked out and asked me why her son was carrying an axe.

It's got a flexible plastic rod in the core, and some kind of sturdy foam on the outside. It was a great find. At JAFAX people were asking me if it was real. I like my "dangerous" props to look dangerous, but would bounce off of someone or break if it hit them.

navel fluff
Sep 2, 2011
Thanks for the input, guys. I might just go with the stuffing/wire recommendation, in that case, and see if I can't come up with something lighter and less fragile I can just sew on. I'll report back when I have something better to show you!

Kilo147
Apr 14, 2007

What boss?
The boss with the power
What power?
The power of voodoo
Who-doo?
You do.
Do what?
Remind me of the Boss.

What about explosives? Say, bottlecap mines, dynamite, and things like homemade claymore mines? I want realism, but not terrorism charges.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

SusiePhone posted:

Good call, I hadn't thought of that! I'll bear that in mind for the redux. There's a lot I'm not completely happy with.

Yeah, I've seen so many bad cosplays, I'm determined to do this the right way!

Hey, it'd be accurate to the cover art! :p

CaptainCrunch
Mar 19, 2006
droppin Hamiltons!
I FINALLY got my duct tape form built! I've been hemming and hawing around on this for months, but I finally knuckled down and bugged a friend to tape me up and subsequently skin me.

The result is this:

(yes I'm a thick son of a bitch)

The next step is to draft out the design for the armor coat I'm building on it.

It's going to be in the style of the Marvel Cinematic Universe Asgardian Armor, a la Thor 2. There's a lot more layers and detail to the armor in that film and it inspired me. Not one of the major heroes. One of the minor, overlooked Aesir who was likely just offscreen in both movies.

I'll post a follow up when I have something cool and photogenic.

cool kids inc.
May 27, 2005

I swallowed a bug

I feel like I'm always in here asking for advice on Marvel character pieces, but you guys are really the only resource I have online for this kind of thing. I'm interested in creating an Iron Man gauntlet, open to anything mark IV or later, and like pepukura or foam guides that I can use. I'm hoping to be Toni Stark for Dragon Con and I've got everything but the arc reactor (which has a million great guides online) and the gauntlet. Any help you guys could offer would be appreciated!

The Repo Man
Jul 31, 2013

I Remember...

cool kids inc. posted:

I feel like I'm always in here asking for advice on Marvel character pieces, but you guys are really the only resource I have online for this kind of thing. I'm interested in creating an Iron Man gauntlet, open to anything mark IV or later, and like pepukura or foam guides that I can use. I'm hoping to be Toni Stark for Dragon Con and I've got everything but the arc reactor (which has a million great guides online) and the gauntlet. Any help you guys could offer would be appreciated!

Most people use those LED tap lights that you put in drawers and the like. They are usually the perfect size, but have kinda cruddy depth, so you end up not being able to grab things. If you want to make something smaller, SMD 5050 bright white LEDs can be bought individually, so you could make a super bright highly compact light in the gauntlet. Thing is, I don't know how to wire those types of LEDs, and they might burn out fast. I cant find a single scrap on info on them anywhere. Most people buy those in LED strips, not individually.

\/\/ We probably passed each other a few times. My friends thought the con kinda sucked, I thought it was good. But then, they spent half the con finishing their costumes. They were Squall and Seifer.

The Repo Man fucked around with this message at 07:08 on Jul 14, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Got back from Metrocon in Tampa this evening, cosplaying as Harry Dresden from The Dresden Files. I don't have any full body shots readily available, so this will have to do. That's a statue of Dick A. Greco, a former mayor of Tampa.

The cosplay is in a semi-finished state, meaning that it's technically done but I'm adding onto it. Rolling Stones shirt (he used one to carry Bob in Changes), blue jeans and tennis shoes that would probably be typical attire, and the duster cost me $20 at the Hell's Kitchen flea market in NYC on vacation. I've got a pentacle amulet that I got from the Holiday Matsuri vendor floor (lost and then replaced with an identical one from the same vendor at Metrocon), a shield bracelet from Etsy, and a single copper force ring. So it's generally the early book Dresden. Bob was my sister's foam skull she bought for a Sherlock cosplay.

The staff was made quickly before the first con use from a tree branch I cut down in my backyard. You can't see it, but it has some runes lightly carved (more like gouged) in and colored with marker to make them stand out. All of the runes but one are from the Elder Futhark alphabet, and I chose them based on their divination meanings to be suitable for a Dresden staff (stuff like fire and changing reality, as well as an Isa rune on one side that is meant to strengthen the other runes around it).

The costume got a surprising amount of attention. The Dresden Files isn't as big at cons as Superwholock or anime or superhero stuff, but that means that what fans are there are generally geeking out over seeing it. Almost everyone who recognized me (maybe two dozen people over two days) wanted a picture, hug, or both. Some people literally jaw dropped at finally seeing a Dresden at a convention, and about four people screamed from across the hall. One of them ran in for a hug and the other practically barreled down an escalator to reach me. One tiny Tony Stark even told me that I made his night, which is the absolute best thing I can do at a convention.

I'm going to be updated the costume as time goes on. First is getting a SplatterCon t-shirt, and then printing a stack of Harry Dresden's business cards to hand out to fans who recognize me. I'm also going to be updating to the multi-metal shield bracelet and multiple braided force rings to bring Dresden to his mid-series level, redoing the staff to have more, clearer runes covering its entirety, buying a more durable Bob that I can freely mark with enchantments, and potentially making a blasting rod to tie to my belt. I've also got an airsoft Colt Python 8 inch revolver that I'm getting a shoulder holster for, so I can add that to the ensemble. Because clearly two props just isn't enough.