Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!
King Dunlap looking pretty good right now

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Detroit_Dogg
Feb 2, 2008
Aaron Rodgers is gay and lame and oh please cum in me Aaron PLEASE I NEED IT OH STAFFORD YOUR COCK IS NOT WORTHY ONLY THE GAYEST RODGERS PRICK CAN SATISFY MY DESPERATE THROAT
Someone please construct a television powered by pullups for future Dogg Children.

Grozz Nuy
Feb 21, 2008

Welcome to Moonside.

Wecomel to Soonmide.

Moonwel ot cosidme.
Sweet, that means he'll miss the Niners game. We'll need all the help we can get while Bowman's out.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

MourningView posted:

Yeah his story was that his dad agreed to let him watch as much TV as he wanted when he was a kid but only if he did pushups, situps, or ran laps around the house during commericials, and that he just kept on doing that for the rest of his life and does, like, 3000 pushups a day. So basically make your children do calisthenics while they watch cartoons and one day they will win the Heisman and get traded for a shitload of draft picks.

Were you old enough to see that trade and somewhat understand what was going on, or did you just read about it after the fact while the Cowboys were wrecking everyone and laugh your rear end off?

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Volkerball posted:

Were you old enough to see that trade and somewhat understand what was going on, or did you just read about it after the fact while the Cowboys were wrecking everyone and laugh your rear end off?

I was like three when that trade happened.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
That's too bad. I wonder what it was like picking up the newspaper the next morning as a Cowboy fan and understanding what the gently caress just happened. It would have been amazing to argue with a person who thought it was a bad move for Dallas. There had to have been someone.:allears:

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Volkerball posted:

That's too bad. I wonder what it was like picking up the newspaper the next morning as a Cowboy fan and understanding what the gently caress just happened. It would have been amazing to argue with a person who thought it was a bad move for Dallas. There had to have been someone.:allears:

There were probably lots.

I doubt a lot of people fully understood exactly what Dallas had just done until they started cutting all the old shits they'd just traded for and stocking up on picks.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
My understanding is that it was generally regarded as a trade that made sense for both sides and a decent number of folks actually thought Dallas messed up. It wasn't really regarded as a fleecing until a couple years later when it became apparent that it had helped Dallas build a powerhouse and Herschel flamed out in Minnesota. It was a different time. Walker was still regarded as an elite talent and teams didn't value draft picks back then like they do now.

MourningView fucked around with this message at 22:25 on Jun 30, 2014

Detroit_Dogg
Feb 2, 2008
Aaron Rodgers is gay and lame and oh please cum in me Aaron PLEASE I NEED IT OH STAFFORD YOUR COCK IS NOT WORTHY ONLY THE GAYEST RODGERS PRICK CAN SATISFY MY DESPERATE THROAT
If you think about the Vikings really came out on top because Herschel Walker could walk onto the team at any moment and be a better running back than Toby Gerhart.

WHOOPS
Nov 6, 2009
Walker was coming off back-to-back Pro Bowl seasons, too, so I'm sure plenty of people wondered if they were getting enough value for him.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
He had finished second in the NFL in rushing the year before on a really really bad team. He was Dallas' best player at the time and it wasn't all that close. Aikman and Irvin were on the roster too, but they weren't what they would eventually become.

MourningView fucked around with this message at 22:26 on Jun 30, 2014

Detroit_Dogg
Feb 2, 2008
Yeah, Troy Aikman could say the entire alphabet back then.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Detroit_Dogg posted:

Yeah, Troy Aikman could say the entire alphabet back then.

Irvin could go on a plane without worrying about nose bleeds.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Walker was also coming off over a half decade of pretty ridiculously deserved hype as well.

He was signed into the USFL by the league breaking a rule against signing undergraduates, then paid him over twice what any player in the NFL was making per year (Though not the hilarity Steve Young managed to get). Then when he went to Dallas, they paid him a million per year, which put him near the top of all NFL players then as well.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

FizFashizzle posted:

Irvin could go on a plane without worrying about nose bleeds.

probably not true

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Kalli posted:

Walker was also coming off over a half decade of pretty ridiculously deserved hype as well.

He was signed into the USFL by the league breaking a rule against signing undergraduates, then paid him over twice what any player in the NFL was making per year (Though not the hilarity Steve Young managed to get). Then when he went to Dallas, they paid him a million per year, which put him near the top of all NFL players then as well.

He also broke Eric Dickerson's pro football single season rushing record there . He ran for more yards in his first 3 years with the USFL than he did in his 3 years in college which is pretty funny considering he was the best back in college football since he stepped onto the field as a freshman. But the USFL was pretty bush league.

The thing about that trade is I've heard it really spoiled the coaching staff on Walker because of all the players and picks they lost. His debut game was fine, but after that everything fell apart. I think it was because Minnesota had more of a one cut system going on. He got 1,000 yards the first year after he left Minnesota, but never did it there. I wish he would've come to the NFL after his junior year, because as it stands, there's really nothing he left behind that you'd see in a record book. I think he's like top 10 in all purpose yards or something, but that's about it. Doesn't tell the story of what a loving freak that dude was.

Durandal1707
Oct 11, 2013

MourningView posted:

He had finished second in the NFL in rushing the year before on a really really bad team. He was Dallas' best player at the time and it wasn't all that close. Aikman and Irvin were on the roster too, but they weren't what they would eventually become.

Irvin tore his knee up early that year and Aikman was a rookie who was getting murdered every week and had to fight for his job from Steve Walsh, so it was seen as an insane move. The full implications of it didn't become clear until Johnson dumped most of the players he got in the trade for picks.

Boys Will Be Boys mentions also that Mike Lynn didn't consult the Vikes coaching staff before he made the deal for Walker, which is why the coaching staff was so livid about it.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Quest For Glory II posted:

gently caress

THIS MEANS 4 GAMES OF ALLEN BARBRE

Welp

RIP Eagles

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH
NFC LEast

Just means Eli gets another chance to further seperate himself from that scrub Peyton :smug:

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Free agent QB Kevin Kolb was arrested for boating while intoxicated over the weekend in Willacy County, Texas.

That's really all you need to know

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
Could he play even if he wanted to? I thought he was just brain damaged out of the league.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

When Kolb was placed under arrest, he told the cop, "Do you have any idea who I am?!"

Cop: "No."

Kolb: "gently caress. I don't, either"

The 7th Guest fucked around with this message at 00:46 on Jul 1, 2014

No Irish Need Imply
Nov 30, 2008
NFL is banning non-regulation facemasks.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Does that include the shredder masks that are supposed to be preventative for guys with neck injuries?

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Atticus Finch posted:

I thought they did that last year, maybe except for a doctor's note?

sweet thursday
Sep 16, 2012

Quest For Glory II posted:

When Kolb was placed under arrest, he told the cop, "Do you have any idea who I am?!"

Cop: "No."

Kolb: "gently caress. I don't, either"

I honor this post

Pops Mgee
Aug 20, 2009

People all over the world,
Join Hands,
Start the Love Train!
Have they given any good reason to ban the Shredder masks?

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

gently caress this lovely company

Blitz of 404 Error
Sep 19, 2007

Joe Biden is a top 15 president
Great there goes the only reason to have justin tuck

MatildaTheHun
Aug 31, 2011

here's the thing donovan, I'm always hungry

Pops Mgee posted:

It shows individuality and actual interest in playing football.

No Irish Need Imply
Nov 30, 2008

ulmont posted:

I thought they did that last year, maybe except for a doctor's note?
The doctor's note doesn't matter anymore.

wheez the roux
Aug 2, 2004
THEY SHOULD'VE GIVEN IT TO LYNCH

Death to the Seahawks. Death to Seahawks posters.

Atticus Finch posted:

The doctor's note doesn't matter anymore.

July N/V title

Basil Hayden
Oct 9, 2012

1921!

Atticus Finch posted:

Are all the grandfathered one-bar guys gone now? I forget.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Pops Mgee posted:

Their argument was players wearing it felt embiggened to lead with their head.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Basil Hayden posted:

Are all the grandfathered one-bar guys gone now? I forget.

wasn't Morton Andersen (or Gary Anderson I foget) the last one?

SlipUp
Sep 30, 2006

stayin c o o l
thought the last was Feagles

Basil Hayden
Oct 9, 2012

1921!

Alouicious posted:

wasn't Morton Andersen (or Gary Anderson I foget) the last one?

After googling it the answer is apparently Scott Player, who was last on the Pats' practice squad in 2008. So I guess they're all gone now.

Detroit_Dogg
Feb 2, 2008

Kalli posted:

What a crock of poo poo.

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH

Kalli posted:

Does that mean they are going to ban the Chargers logo off of helmets because it gives an unfair psychological advantage as their players canimagine they are The Flash?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Kalli posted:

I don't feel that explanation is very cromulent

• Locked thread