Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
jmzero
Jul 24, 2007

quote:

It confounds me that this didn't already exist

Yeah - there's been a bunch of these made/attempted on Kickstarter/Shapeways/whatever.

quote:

Wasn't there a braille dice KS a while back that didn't get funded, and was kind of a shady attempt to get the Internet to pay for the guy's 3D-printing equipment?

...also what's happening here it appears, sans the 'shady' part (the person is being pretty transparent about wanting to buy a printer).

I actually kind of worry about her dealing with success here, though. Printing hundreds and hundreds of dice on a consumer grade 3d printer is likely going to be a crazy adventure. Hopefully she's allocated a lot of time to this and left some wiggle room on budget.

Edit: the other kind of scary bit is that the page doesn't show any actual printed prototypes. It seems like they'd want to cough a set out (using Shapeways or whatever), and, you know, make sure that they actually work well. If they needed to be, for example, significantly bigger, that could quickly become a cost problem when she goes to make batches of hundreds.

jmzero fucked around with this message at 22:25 on Jun 30, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

berzerkmonkey posted:

EDIT: Aaaaand I was wrong - they are doing KS exclusives now. A not-House (House) and not-Leonard (Big Bang Theory). Ah well.

To be honest, unless you REALLY have a hard-on for exclusives, the survivors are a pass. I have about 70 survivor models (35 survivors and zombivors) and only 6 get played at a time...

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

jivjov posted:

Dammit, Urban Shadows sounds awesome...and I missed it by less than an hour.

Were there any Kickstarter-exclusive stretch goals or bonuses? Or will I get the full thing if I buy it when it comes out for real?

Bringing this back up...I messaged Andrew Medeiros, the project creator, and he's gonna get me in on the Backerkit stuff for the project. Pretty cool customer service.

(And before anyone brings it up, yes I have reconciled my differences with Backerkit and other pledge management services)

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

LordAba posted:

To be honest, unless you REALLY have a hard-on for exclusives, the survivors are a pass. I have about 70 survivor models (35 survivors and zombivors) and only 6 get played at a time...

Yeah, I know - I'm in the same boat with regards to model quantity. I just thought that they were going to skip over the exclusive stuff this time around like some of the more recent games. Thinking about it though, the want of exclusives are probably what's driving the fast growth of the KS.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Mehuyael posted:

Symetra isn't doing very well. It's got 5 days left and it's not even at half funded. Oh well, I guess if they want to make it KS-able they'll need to get lighter components.

I have no idea what the gameplay may be like, but this game is aggressively ugly. I'd probably prefer generic fantasy art over whatever music player visualizer they actually used to create those graphics. Are they supposed to be placeholders?

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

berzerkmonkey posted:

Yeah, I know - I'm in the same boat with regards to model quantity. I just thought that they were going to skip over the exclusive stuff this time around like some of the more recent games. Thinking about it though, the want of exclusives are probably what's driving the fast growth of the KS.

On the plus side it looks like they are making a decent container for all of the survivor cards!

malkav11
Aug 7, 2009

LordAba posted:

On the plus side it looks like they are making a decent container for all of the survivor cards!

Which will include all of the previous ones, apparently, promos and all. And the cards are the gameplay relevant part.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003
I can do without the card container - I need something to hold all the drat zombies...

And those are just the "standard" zombies, not including the Toxic or Berserker zombies.

King Burgundy
Sep 17, 2003

I am the Burgundy King,
I can do anything!

berzerkmonkey posted:

I can do without the card container - I need something to hold all the drat zombies...

And those are just the "standard" zombies, not including the Toxic or Berserker zombies.

I still don't have a great storage solution for mine.

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

Every single year the Ivy League takes a break from fucking up the world through its various alumni to fuck up everyone's bracket instead.
Me and a couple other folks are making a storytelling card game called The Reunion, based on surviving a day with your family.

Short version: website is here, Kickstarter is here; $10 for print-and-play; $25 for the actual deck plus tiny extras. Longer version:

What Is The Reunion?

It's a card game where up to four people compete to survive a family gathering, making use of various coping mechanisms to deal with the trauma of your guilt-tripping relatives and their various lovely offspring, all the while hoping fate screws you over just a little less than it does your fellow players. Whoever's blood pressure is lowest by the end of the game wins.

Some early card designs:

And a sample hand a few turns in:

What's the Appeal?

It aims to be hilarious and cathartic. Everyone's family is weird, so everyone brings different issues to a game like this, and the mix of the deck and the crowd ensures every game is different. And we're working to make it as universal as possible, so it works with any background and any level of humor.

Also, there's still a lot of refining and rendering to do (not by me, thank god, I just write things), and it's more about provoking stories than anything else, but the game should still end up looking pretty decent. Some icons:

Where's the Money Going?

First, toward prototyping and extensive playtesting, then toward finalizing the deck. We set the amount pretty low because we're doing everything except the printing in-house, so expenses are pretty limited. However, everything we clear beyond expenses will go toward improving and promoting the game; our first stretch goal is to upgrade production materials and we'll figure out how far we can go from there.

Anyway, thanks for reading, and for maybe having a look!

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
My Mormon friends will love this.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
I really like that the logo for it is a loving picnic table with a butcher knife stabbed into it. :v:

Gau
Nov 18, 2003

I don't think you understand, Gau.
I love the idea for the game, but why is the delivery set to March of next year?

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

Every single year the Ivy League takes a break from fucking up the world through its various alumni to fuck up everyone's bracket instead.

Gau posted:

I love the idea for the game, but why is the delivery set to March of next year?

Extreme precaution? We don't expect any problems getting it out before the end of this year and likely sooner but have never navigated the process before, so basically doubled our expected time and then added a bit more for good measure. If that date is going to put people off we could definitely look at moving it up closer to what we actually expect (late this year).

elentar fucked around with this message at 05:22 on Jul 1, 2014

Gau
Nov 18, 2003

I don't think you understand, Gau.
Oh, okay. You should add that to your FAQ :)

Darksaber
Oct 18, 2001

Are you even trying?
Oh that's neat, I live like 40 minutes away from you guys. I'm in for a deck.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Gau posted:

Well you know what they say, better late than never.

Beautiful Flower
Apr 9, 2007

Peter Gabriel's solo stuff is pretty ok imho

elentar posted:

Me and a couple other folks are making a storytelling card game called The Reunion, based on surviving a day with your family.

Short version: website is here, Kickstarter is here; $10 for print-and-play; $25 for the actual deck plus tiny extras. Longer version:

What Is The Reunion?

It's a card game where up to four people compete to survive a family gathering, making use of various coping mechanisms to deal with the trauma of your guilt-tripping relatives and their various lovely offspring, all the while hoping fate screws you over just a little less than it does your fellow players. Whoever's blood pressure is lowest by the end of the game wins.

Some early card designs:

And a sample hand a few turns in:

What's the Appeal?

It aims to be hilarious and cathartic. Everyone's family is weird, so everyone brings different issues to a game like this, and the mix of the deck and the crowd ensures every game is different. And we're working to make it as universal as possible, so it works with any background and any level of humor.

Also, there's still a lot of refining and rendering to do (not by me, thank god, I just write things), and it's more about provoking stories than anything else, but the game should still end up looking pretty decent. Some icons:

Where's the Money Going?

First, toward prototyping and extensive playtesting, then toward finalizing the deck. We set the amount pretty low because we're doing everything except the printing in-house, so expenses are pretty limited. However, everything we clear beyond expenses will go toward improving and promoting the game; our first stretch goal is to upgrade production materials and we'll figure out how far we can go from there.

Anyway, thanks for reading, and for maybe having a look!

This is totally awesome--I love the little "thermometer" stress tracker thing.

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

Gau posted:

Oh, okay. You should add that to your FAQ :)

Definitely will, think we have an update coming up soon too.

Darksaber posted:

Oh that's neat, I live like 40 minutes away from you guys. I'm in for a deck.

Thanks very much!

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

So obvious question, but have you started marketing it at BGG?

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

GrandpaPants posted:

So obvious question, but have you started marketing it at BGG?

Not yet—not sure how best to go about it. I'm going to see about getting it added to their ongoing Kickstarter thread but it's kind of a rat's nest going through all their help files and adding all the stuff that needs to be approved in order to get an entry up.

Polyakov
Mar 22, 2012

This kickstarter seems like its quite legit, Acrylic and Wood gaming accessories.

Its a range of laser engraved tokens and turn/life counters and some nice wooden box inserts for fatpack boxes and the FFG small expansion boxes; he has specific tokens for Netrunner, X-Wing LOTR LCG as well as some really pretty generic ones.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Twilight Struggle: Digital Edition is in its last 24 hours. The board game retails for $40 on CSI right now, so the $75 tier isn't that bad a value, assuming you wanted a digital version (which you probably should, since getting an actual game of Twilight Struggle can be a...struggle). But the remaining stretch goals are very eh, so...not the biggest deal?

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

GrandpaPants posted:

Twilight Struggle: Digital Edition is in its last 24 hours. The board game retails for $40 on CSI right now, so the $75 tier isn't that bad a value, assuming you wanted a digital version (which you probably should, since getting an actual game of Twilight Struggle can be a...struggle). But the remaining stretch goals are very eh, so...not the biggest deal?

I'm on the fence for the $75 level but the expansion and iOS copy are pulling me in. My biggest issue is that Forge War closes about the same time and I'm married, to a cheap skate...

Iris of Ether
Sep 29, 2005

Valkyrie is not amused
The puzzle-hunt-in-a-book Maze of Games is finally shipping out now. If you're in the Seattle area, they'll have a few extra books at their launch parties next week Tuesday/Wednesday/Thursday, if you're interested:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/loneshark/the-maze-of-games-an-interactive-puzzle-novel/posts/897990

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer
Symetra seems to have picked up steam suddenly... Or did it? It somehow got around 5k out of maybe 25 new backers, which I find very suspicious. Also 8 or so backers didn't even pick a reward if my math is right.

I don't want to end up with a project that's conveniently at just the right amount to meet funding in the last day so I can't back out, so I canceled my pledge now.

Dr. Clockwork
Sep 9, 2011

I'LL PUT MY SCIENCE IN ALL OF YOU!
My friends' game Penny Press is in the final 6 days and they just need a little bit more to hit their stretch goal and include the Newsboy meeple expansion in every copy of the game!

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/asmadigames/penny-press

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Are there kickstarters for any good coop games at the moment? That's pretty much the only game type I've got missing from my KS "collection".

I'm looking for something that's around 60 bucks including international shipping, but if the game looks just that good I might go as high as $80.

neonchameleon
Nov 14, 2012

Mehuyael posted:

Are there kickstarters for any good coop games at the moment? That's pretty much the only game type I've got missing from my KS "collection".

I'm looking for something that's around 60 bucks including international shipping, but if the game looks just that good I might go as high as $80.

Zombicide Season 3?

Ettin
Oct 2, 2010

elentar posted:

Extreme precaution? We don't expect any problems getting it out before the end of this year and likely sooner but have never navigated the process before, so basically doubled our expected time and then added a bit more for good measure. If that date is going to put people off we could definitely look at moving it up closer to what we actually expect (late this year).

This is a pretty sweet idea. People are way less likely to get angry about distant release dates than reasonable release dates which are missed slightly.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

Grimey Drawer

neonchameleon posted:

Zombicide Season 3?

It sounds interesting, but is it the best coop game ever? Because I'll have to pay more than 100 bucks for it...

Goredema
Oct 16, 2013

RUIN EVERYTHING

Fun Shoe

Mehuyael posted:

If you don't want to spend much, and don't mind some not-great art, Tiny Epic Defenders looks good.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Goredema posted:

If you don't want to spend much, and don't mind some not-great art, Tiny Epic Defenders looks good.

Thanks! I guess I'll need to decide if I want to go big or small then.

I'm seriously thinking about Zombicide because I have no zombie-themed games, and I know my friends would like something with zombies.

Epic Defenders looks interesting (I actually thought of an idea for a coop deckbuilder where you build the enemy's deck, so this one hits home), but I have so many fantasy-themed games lined up.

malkav11
Aug 7, 2009

Mehuyael posted:

It sounds interesting, but is it the best coop game ever? Because I'll have to pay more than 100 bucks for it...

It's good, but you can certainly do better for $100. The pricetag is significantly related to the large number of minis. On the other hand, it's my favorite zombie game so far, and the only one I can think of offhand that's pure coop.

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Mehuyael posted:

I like zombicide a lot, though people tend to be polarized on the "shooting into melee is bad" issue. It's a freaking boardgame, god. Though honestly I'm a model junky, and it's fun painting a horde of zombies. Luckily the plastic is color coded, so if you don't want to paint them they will still look good.

I've demoed it quite a bit, and it is always a blast. It has zombivor mode so if someone is knocked out early they aren't twiddling their thumbs. The zombie spawn mechanic is nerve wracking in the right ways, and the game is simple enough that you will be talking strategy over mechanics.
The number of players is the biggest issue IMO. The 4 player games are super hard, while the 6 player games are noticeable easier (though still a no brainer). Depending on your group you may need to adjust.
The first set is a bit unbalanced in missions as well. The first mission is somewhat complicated and large, and feels great the first time you beat it. It makes the other missions until you get near the end a bit lackluster. Cars can be abused a bit, though it's not too bad. The logistics are nutty once you get a couple of expansions: you get too many survivors to choose from, you have to separate the zombie cards for the expansions, you can add/subtract zombie dogs, there are different weapon sets (and some survivors come with custom equipment)... it can get complicated and there is no really good storage solution unless you custom make something.

If you jump into the kickstarter I would recommend just sticking with the original set and avoiding the survivor add-ons. They add a bit of variety to the game, but if your group likes the game I would get the other base-sets and expansions first. The dog companions and zombie dogs are an interesting (and cheap) way of adding on variety as well.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

Grimey Drawer

LordAba posted:

Zombicide

How much tablespace does the game take? Will I need a big table for everything?

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Mehuyael posted:

How much tablespace does the game take? Will I need a big table for everything?

The boards are 10", and I think the largest setups will be 3x3 (so 30"). You don't need a huge table for the board. You also need a couple inches for the character trackers. A 4x4 table will work fine.

EDIT: I usually have a TV tray for holding all the zombies etc off the board.

malkav11
Aug 7, 2009

LordAba posted:

The number of players is the biggest issue IMO. The 4 player games are super hard, while the 6 player games are noticeable easier (though still a no brainer). Depending on your group you may need to adjust.
The first set is a bit unbalanced in missions as well. The first mission is somewhat complicated and large, and feels great the first time you beat it. It makes the other missions until you get near the end a bit lackluster. Cars can be abused a bit, though it's not too bad. The logistics are nutty once you get a couple of expansions: you get too many survivors to choose from, you have to separate the zombie cards for the expansions, you can add/subtract zombie dogs, there are different weapon sets (and some survivors come with custom equipment)... it can get complicated and there is no really good storage solution unless you custom make something.

If you jump into the kickstarter I would recommend just sticking with the original set and avoiding the survivor add-ons. They add a bit of variety to the game, but if your group likes the game I would get the other base-sets and expansions first. The dog companions and zombie dogs are an interesting (and cheap) way of adding on variety as well.

It's worth noting that the missions are mostly independent (though they did release a downloadable campaign on the website and there's apparently going to be one for this set as well), and don't really present any sort of ongoing narrative, so it's mostly that they didn't really organize them in any sort of purposeful way. (I.e., they're not presented in order of difficulty, complexity of mechanics, length, or really any other intelligible criteria.) They also haven't assigned them difficulty ratings that really reflect actual play. One of the "hard" missions is one of the easiest I've played, and a couple other ones with lower ratings were brutal.

And yeah, don't get addons unless you're really excited about celebrity look-a-like minis (excited to the tune of $10+ a piece). The survivors aren't completely identical but there are tons of them at this point and the gameplay differences are small and easily replicated/proxied - they're even including all of the prior promo boards as part of the Season 3 package (for the Kickstarter version, that is). The mini's what commands the pricetag.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003
You can get Zombicide Season 1 or Season 2 within your price point if you buy retail. If you're wary of spending the $100 on the Season 3 KS and have the extra cash, I would recommend getting the $10 extra survivors. If you don't care about them, you can usually flip them on Ebay for a decent profit. For some reason, there are always people who don't get in on the KS and regret it afterward and are willing to pay crazy prices for the exclusives.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Well, I thought about it and actually decided against getting both today. Zombicide looks cool and I'll keep it on my wishlist, but is out of my price range at the moment unfortunately (I think. I haven't found a place that ships to Israel at all, which I guess is understandable).

I watched a Tiny Epic Defenders gameplay video and it doesn't really look very compelling to me.

I guess for now I'll just wait either for when an interesting and affordable coop game is up or maybe for a friend (or more likely family member) who'll be visiting the UK or the US and won't mind carrying a big box around for a while.

• Locked thread