Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

rabiddeity posted:

I'm not sure if anyone else noticed, but the inclusion of Starbucks in the grid of "secret societies" under Personal Thoughts made me chuckle.

Well of course it is. Feuding coffee shops secretly controlled by a single master is a major subplot in Invisible War.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Bobbin Threadbare posted:

Well of course it is. Feuding coffee shops secretly controlled by a single master is a major subplot in Invisible War.

This was actually something that later blew my mind in real life unintentionally. See before Borders bookstores went out of business the cafe served "Seattle's Best" coffee. Which I thought was strange because wouldn't Starbucks (which is carried in competing bookstore Barnes & Noble) be more likely to stake that claim? Turns out that Seattle's Best was under Starbucks ownership since 2004 which was the same year that Seattle's Best just happend to start showing up at Borders.

Borders of course is now out of business (and their trademarks and customer lists were acquired by Barnes & Noble naturally). For as mediocre as Invisible War was, it inadvertently and accurately predicted coffee chains "competing" with each other while really being the same company.

Paramemetic
Sep 29, 2003

Area 51. You heard of it, right?

Fallen Rib
As a Freemason, I personally love all the conspiracy theories directed at us, but equally amusing is when people get it wrong. Once I wore a ring to work at a psychiatric hospital, and a kid asked what it was. I asked him what he thought it was, and he said he thought I was a member of some dumb geometry fraternity. When I laughed and told him it was for Freemasonry he didn't know what that was, and this is a kid who was pretty savvy on conspiracies and knew allll about the Illuminati.

I really enjoy the Illuminati stuff just because it's so outlandish. That said, Freemasons did have a hand in the French Revolution, and Pope Leo XIII even wrote an encyclical that blasts us for our obviously evil beliefs in self determination, naturalism, popular sovereignty, and separation of Church and State. Of course, the late 1800s were not a great time for the Church, and Freemasonry was growing openly, so we seemed as good a target as any.

I have played this game tens of times, and have never talked to Dowd at length, or really explored all the small speech options for a lot of these guys. You've selected talking options in this playthrough I've never used, and it's been really cool. I appreciate seeing how a Denton I've never been handles things, and some of the exposition has just been awesome, so thanks.

Tremors_Van_Zant
Jan 7, 2014
I like this Let's Play a lot, good job.

Tecman
Sep 11, 2003

Loading the Universe...
Please Wait.

Pillbug

My opinion on the stinger is, "Well, I guess Human Revolution did well enough to warrant a sequel." I figure it'll take place during the Northwest War since that happens in 2031. I'm not sure who's supposed to be opposing the Illuminati since HR takes place before Bob Page betrays the others, but then it might just be an opposing faction within the organization.

The opposing organization is a bit more defined in the tie-in novel for HR (whose author was on the writing team for the game), though not that much. It's called the Juggernaut Collective, a global cyberterrorist group - basically a bunch of hackers.

One of the things in the novel was that they were tied with the New Sons of Freedom (which would then turn into the Northwest Secessionist Forces and even later into the National Secessionist Forces from DX). One character from the organization as presented in the novel shows up in the DLC (Janus), the other doesn't (D-Bar). Tho if I remember right, Lebedev was technically a member too, as well as the protagonists of the book.

I think Janus shows up in the mobile game too, but I haven't played through that one yet.

Also, thanks for the Illuminati section, I've also been waiting for it. :)

Five
Jan 6, 2009

I live near Toronto and our local AM Talk Radio conspiracy theorist has so far been the only conspiracy theorist who has put together a working theory as to why the Illuminati haven't TOTALLY taken over the world and why he is still allowed on the Radio.

There are two Illuminati's working to cross purposes, of course!

FinalGamer
Aug 30, 2012

So the mystic script says.

Paramemetic posted:

As a Freemason, I personally love all the conspiracy theories directed at us, but equally amusing is when people get it wrong. Once I wore a ring to work at a psychiatric hospital, and a kid asked what it was. I asked him what he thought it was, and he said he thought I was a member of some dumb geometry fraternity. When I laughed and told him it was for Freemasonry he didn't know what that was, and this is a kid who was pretty savvy on conspiracies and knew allll about the Illuminati.

I really enjoy the Illuminati stuff just because it's so outlandish. That said, Freemasons did have a hand in the French Revolution, and Pope Leo XIII even wrote an encyclical that blasts us for our obviously evil beliefs in self determination, naturalism, popular sovereignty, and separation of Church and State. Of course, the late 1800s were not a great time for the Church, and Freemasonry was growing openly, so we seemed as good a target as any.

I have played this game tens of times, and have never talked to Dowd at length, or really explored all the small speech options for a lot of these guys. You've selected talking options in this playthrough I've never used, and it's been really cool. I appreciate seeing how a Denton I've never been handles things, and some of the exposition has just been awesome, so thanks.
I have a boyfriend who recently joined the Freemasons through his father, and he wishes that half this stuff was true when instead he calls it "an old people's treehouse club with cool secret rings". Not that he minds, it's kinda cool to be part of something I suppose. He's definitely less secretive about it than my friend in high school who was a Mormon and just straight-up refused to answer any of my questions with a wave of "youuuu don't really wanna know it's pretty boring :rolleyes:", so he tells me what he's allowed to tell me, I guess. I really don't know too much of how they operate nowadays or why but they really don't seem to be a harmful bunch to me, it feels more like a conglomerate of businessmen than anything else.

Though I kinda got skimmed over on the Scottish Rite and as a Scotsman I really have to ask, what the hell does that mean exactly and why is it called that?

Paramemetic
Sep 29, 2003

Area 51. You heard of it, right?

Fallen Rib

FinalGamer posted:

I have a boyfriend who recently joined the Freemasons through his father, and he wishes that half this stuff was true when instead he calls it "an old people's treehouse club with cool secret rings". Not that he minds, it's kinda cool to be part of something I suppose. He's definitely less secretive about it than my friend in high school who was a Mormon and just straight-up refused to answer any of my questions with a wave of "youuuu don't really wanna know it's pretty boring :rolleyes:", so he tells me what he's allowed to tell me, I guess. I really don't know too much of how they operate nowadays or why but they really don't seem to be a harmful bunch to me, it feels more like a conglomerate of businessmen than anything else.

Though I kinda got skimmed over on the Scottish Rite and as a Scotsman I really have to ask, what the hell does that mean exactly and why is it called that?

If you're into boring answers, the boringest is the answer to that question. Basically, the oldest Masonic lodges on the record are from Scotland, with many having records predating the formation of the first Grand Lodge by a century or more. So a lot of early American Masons were Scottish, or Scotophiles. The latter group basically formed the Scottish Rite in 1801 in the US, and since there is a long Masonic tradition of inventing provenance to seem badass, they called it the Scottish Rite so they could trace back to Scotland.

Historically a lot of these little orders come and go, but the Scottish Rite caught on and became one of the main "appendant bodies" of Masonry, basically external, separate organizations that are Masonic in flavor and only accept Master Masons. The other big one is the York Rite, which has a similar provenance of name.

Notably, all of the degrees of both the York and Scottish Rites really do predate those organizations, as most appendant bodies are amalgamations of previous work. So while the Scottish Rite has no direct relation to the Order of Strict Observance mentioned by Bobbin, it did crib almost all of their degree work and then adjust it accordingly. Masonic degrees are basically initiatic rituals that confer a moral message or lesson, like a big kid's version of a fable, so there's that.

In Scotland and the rest of the UK, the Scottish Rite is known as the Rose Cross, not to be confused with the actual Rosicrucian organization, which is similar but not related to Freemasonry directly. It is also not to be confused with the Royal Order of Scotland, which is an honor society only for Masons but which actually has some connection to the nobility and is conferred only to Masons who have made some positive contribution to the world (and are Christian etc.).

We have a thread in A/T (because we are so secretive) so if you want to check out more about Masonry pop over there.

:mason:

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

Yes, but are you also an Illuminatus? The world needs to know!

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

I think the usual method is Gish Galloping him and then accusing him of being a secret conspirator of conspiracy #x (and all preceding) when he opens his mouth.

Then going back home to blog about it, wildly over exaggerating everything.

FinalGamer
Aug 30, 2012

Paramemetic posted:

If you're into boring answers, the boringest is the answer to that question. Basically, the oldest Masonic lodges on the record are from Scotland, with many having records predating the formation of the first Grand Lodge by a century or more. So a lot of early American Masons were Scottish, or Scotophiles. The latter group basically formed the Scottish Rite in 1801 in the US, and since there is a long Masonic tradition of inventing provenance to seem badass, they called it the Scottish Rite so they could trace back to Scotland.

Historically a lot of these little orders come and go, but the Scottish Rite caught on and became one of the main "appendant bodies" of Masonry, basically external, separate organizations that are Masonic in flavor and only accept Master Masons. The other big one is the York Rite, which has a similar provenance of name.

Notably, all of the degrees of both the York and Scottish Rites really do predate those organizations, as most appendant bodies are amalgamations of previous work. So while the Scottish Rite has no direct relation to the Order of Strict Observance mentioned by Bobbin, it did crib almost all of their degree work and then adjust it accordingly. Masonic degrees are basically initiatic rituals that confer a moral message or lesson, like a big kid's version of a fable, so there's that.

In Scotland and the rest of the UK, the Scottish Rite is known as the Rose Cross, not to be confused with the actual Rosicrucian organization, which is similar but not related to Freemasonry directly. It is also not to be confused with the Royal Order of Scotland, which is an honor society only for Masons but which actually has some connection to the nobility and is conferred only to Masons who have made some positive contribution to the world (and are Christian etc.).

We have a thread in A/T (because we are so secretive) so if you want to check out more about Masonry pop over there.

Ohhhhhh...so it does originate from here, that's pretty neat! And no surprise that it of course occurs during the Jacobite Era right around the time when a lot of classist wars were occurring in Scotland between the Highland clans of old and the Lowland city-folk of new in what was more a civil war of time and progression rather than anything else.
Actually, considering Freemasons had an apparently large influence in America at the start of its colonial era, this WOULD explain why there are a lot of Scottish names and influences I see in the USA, like an unusually large amount of it that seems to extend a little beyond just simple immigration.

Granted that can be simply put down to the Clearances but that was the Gaelic population forced to leave off land that was stolen from them and they all went to Canada to found Nova Scotia rather than the States. But still, very cool to know thank you! :D

SpeedGem
Sep 19, 2012

by Ralp

Not to be a jerk, but the bottom sewer pipe in the underground where the sniper was, contains an accuracy mod in it. I don't know why they put it there. Most of the weapons you have should be maxxed out accuracy wise by then anyways.

The Rabbi T. White
Jul 17, 2008

Paramemetic posted:

Oh you don't need to go to that thread.
Jon Safran has already blown the lid off your terrible, dirty secrets: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6mVW7GM_I9E

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

Since I posted the original comment earlier, I thought I should let you see the continuing saga now that someone's gone and poked Gekiganger03.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
How does one become qualified to use evidence and logic? Is there some sort of seminar I have to attend?

There isn't a fee is there? I'm all tapped out.

Edit: Cardiovascular diseases killed 800,000 people in 2010 alone according to the CDC (their website is really neat and useful by the way). Is this guy trying to say wheat killed them all?
http://www.cdc.gov/media/releases/2013/p0903-vs-heart-disease.html

paragon1 fucked around with this message at 03:12 on Jul 2, 2014

Shifty gimbal
Dec 28, 2008

Hey you... I got something to tell ya
Biscuit Hider
I've recently noticed that someone using the word "logic" in an argument, in the context of "using logic", is probably on the crazy side of an argument. There's something with that specific word that attracts the uneducated. It's usually when they're falsely appealing to either common sense or the scientific method.

biosterous
Feb 23, 2013

Five posted:

I live near Toronto and our local AM Talk Radio conspiracy theorist has so far been the only conspiracy theorist who has put together a working theory as to why the Illuminati haven't TOTALLY taken over the world and why he is still allowed on the Radio.

There are two Illuminati's working to cross purposes, of course!

This sounds fun, I wanna check this guy out. What's his showtime and frequency?

Kunster
Dec 24, 2006

There's something that cracks me up about that Adimeus track's flute. It sounds like whoever the composer was for that song didn't really know what to put on that peculiar part without feeling empty, so he just pulled a recorder and played it, going "YES, THIS FEELS MORE AYURVERDIC AND NOT TOTALLY TACKED ON" (Like how the Orchaestral version of Final Fantasy 8's Fithos Lusec Wecos Vinosec has a random woman burst into the recording studio and do completely out of touch vocals, hence probably why when googling for this song I seem to not be able to find a version with the flute.

Gimbal lock posted:

I've recently noticed that someone using the word "logic" in an argument, in the context of "using logic", is probably on the crazy side of an argument. There's something with that specific word that attracts the uneducated. It's usually when they're falsely appealing to either common sense or the scientific method.

It's a bit like how if you find someone bragging about being a critical thinker, you're probably about to start to hear A.W.Mann type garbage painted over with some sort of "apolitical logic science" feel into it that's just there to make one's "Brown people are just mentally inferior", and probably sees oneself justified since one ain't a redneck or smiled at a gay dude one time.

I kind of have a theory that the virus on the ship could not be on "Gray Death" mode. Adapated for it sure, but not necessarily with the order. Why else would they put it on somewhere that's admittedly on a lighter part of the ship, after x time of getting the ship from Dowd, outfitting it for such a purpose and keeping it on a base that Page went through the trouble of purchasing just for this purpose?

My God JC, You're The Bomb!

Kunster fucked around with this message at 10:01 on Jul 2, 2014

FinalGamer
Aug 30, 2012

Gimbal lock posted:

It's like a politician using the word "truthfully", it's a living act of using a hypocritical word concerning your own stance in order to further your potential legitimacy towards the masses. In other words, "if I use this word people WON'T think I'm an idiot and actually a smart person! :v:"

Rohypnol Blitz
May 12, 2014
I've heard too many strange conspiracy theories about the Illuminati for me to actually take them seriously. Like how they control your dreams with a special coating on car door handles so that you will buy a certain brand of tuna. It's nice to finally watch a video involving the Illuminati without my inner dialogue screaming "Suuuuure"

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Re: "Attached: Velichestvenyy". That word (properly conjugated at that, which is impressive) translates as "Grand" or "Magnificent" or... "Majestic".

We now return to our regularly scheduled, um, schedule.

The easiest way to thin out the MJ12 troopers is to let them converge on your and Stanton's location (possibly with the random thug in tow). Stanton is immortal, so they're going to shoot the poo poo out of each other while aiming for him - then run out of bullets. Simple.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Xander77 posted:

The easiest way to thin out the MJ12 troopers is to let them converge on your and Stanton's location (possibly with the random thug in tow). Stanton is immortal, so they're going to shoot the poo poo out of each other while aiming for him - then run out of bullets. Simple.

The only acceptable way to thin out the MJ12 troopers is to let them converge on your and Stanton's location and then apply a liberal dose of Willy Pete :colbert:

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

Today we conclude our look at modern secret societies by looking at the man known as the granddaddy of them all. Honestly, though, Rhodes is both the best and the worst man to be the grandfather of secret societies; while he certainly believed in one-world government, he did a terrible job of keeping his ambitions secret. The guy could've been a Bond villain if he was born fifty years later and wasn't so British.

Handouts:

APR: Terrorist Search
APR: "Aquinas"
Navy Email: Bot Repairs
Navy Email: Gray Death Reminder
Navy Email: ASF Clearances
Simons Email: Preparations
Simons Email: RE: Security Report
Simons Email: He has left
Simons Email: VersaLife

Known misses: I completely forgot to get into the locked door in the warehouse offices.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver
There's a certain appeal to the concept of a one-world government. Not the hegemonic, "one nation will dominate it" form that Rhodes dreamed, but the decentralization part he espoused is appealing. And, like you said, Bobbin, and this might be my bias as someone who lives in and is well off in the United States as well, I can't help but feel that a federal, decentralized model would be the best way to go about it. Effectively, if the EU incorporated every country on earth, gained a very limited taxation ability to allow it to maintain itself, and the component members were required to coordinate their militaries in a manner like NATO operates today, that's how I imagine an ideal one-world government on Earth.

Kunster
Dec 24, 2006

Since Rhodes was mentioned and that he created Debeers, I figure I might as well post Edward Jay Epstein's article on Diamond Selling since Lucius DeBeers seems to be by pure namesake.

The Casualty
Sep 29, 2006
Security Clearance: Pop Secret

Whiny baby
Why does it say the video is still encoding?

delfrickintree
Jan 4, 2007
I Paint Naked Nerds
I love it when I get emails about new BobbinThreadbare videos

Rohypnol Blitz posted:

Like how they control your dreams with a special coating on car door handles so that you will buy a certain brand of tuna.
lmao

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW

The Casualty posted:

Why does it say the video is still encoding?

The youtube video worked fine for me.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

This level is simultaneously one of the best and worst of DX. Best because of the incredible flexibility, worst because of the large amount of walking you need to do between buildings.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
Today's update: A reminder that White people ruin everything.

Seriously, Africa is still a mess because of us and we should be ashamed that we keep doing it.

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill

Gonzo McFee posted:

Today's update: A reminder that White people ruin everything.

Seriously, Africa is still a mess because of us and we should be ashamed that we keep doing it.
Wow, that's pretty racist. I'm sure Africans would have been perfectly capable of inventing corruption and violence for themselves if more advanced races hadn't shown them the way.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

Soricidus posted:

Wow, that's pretty racist. I'm sure Africans would have been perfectly capable of inventing corruption and violence for themselves if more advanced races hadn't shown them the way.

Oh, they had plenty of both before we even showed up, but the Europeans imported techniques to produce industrial quantities of both. The governments of modern African nations are still patterned off colonial governments, even in cases where the natives overthrew the colonizers. The reason things usually go south after decolonization is that the new oppressive government doesn't have the international resources of the old oppressive government and therefore cannot exploit its people as efficiently or prevent them from rising up in successive waves of oppressive governments that favor one tribe or family. And that all is aside from the interfering that former colonizers and their corporations still commit to keep the governments pliable to international exploitation.

So to sum up, gently caress everything.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

Oh, they had plenty of both before we even showed up, but the Europeans imported techniques to produce industrial quantities of both. The governments of modern African nations are still patterned off colonial governments, even in cases where the natives overthrew the colonizers. The reason things usually go south after decolonization is that the new oppressive government doesn't have the international resources of the old oppressive government and therefore cannot exploit its people as efficiently or prevent them from rising up in successive waves of oppressive governments that favor one tribe or family.

So to sum up, gently caress everything.

Yer, what this guy said.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
Africa: To sum up, gently caress everything.

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

Pfft, if African states didn't want their government, culture and land upended by foreign invaders leading to a seemingly unending period of instability, war, suffering, and social turmoil that may never be resolved even in several generations' time then they shouldn't have parked their villages on top of all those profitable diamond mines and rubber deposits. :colbert:

(The sad part is you know some people thought exactly this :( )

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

The sad part is that some well-intentioned organisations (ie assistance programs) have a destructive effect. By funneling money from the first world to third world countries, governments in those countries are incentivised not to prioritize needs for their own economy/population, but to focus on the demands of aid programmes to get that lovely aid funding. Sometimes the two needs overlap. Often, the country gets shafted while the aid money has a corrupting influence and detracts from the building of a national economy and society.

Loren1350
Mar 30, 2007
Mankind: the cause of, and solution to, all of mankind's problems.

CowboyAndy
Aug 7, 2012

Shintaro posted:

Mankind: the cause of, and solution to, all of mankind's problems.

Hey aren't you being a little racist to mankind with that comment?

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

One of these posters has no idea whom he or she is dealing with. Possibly both.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kangra
May 7, 2012

Sometimes I wish 'show less' would do the task of summarizing or moderately filtering instead of meaning 'show almost none'.

• Locked thread