Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

I think everyone can agree that the caltrain owns, also nice that the pie in the sky high speed rail project will at least have some trickle down funding for more practical local needs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

ProperGanderPusher posted:

(one old timer I know still thinks BART was a waste of money and still talks about how inconvenienced he was during its construction in the early 70s).

This is loving hilarious.

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

Except for the fact that a big reason why the bay area doesn't have enough housing or adequate public transit is because of people like him.

:bahgawd: "THEM TRAINS AND POORS AND SHADOWS ON MY LAWN AND CARS ON MY STREET AND NOISE IN MY EARHOLES AND DETOURS FOR CONSTRUCTION BAH GAWD STOP IT ALL"

Hordes of crotchety old folks and other assorted assholes have been dong that for decades, and it's a big reason why so many other people in the Bay Area are getting hosed by housing prices.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Big K of Justice posted:

I'm in Novato near the old freight line, they redid the level crossings near me. I work over in the presido, and commute down which isn't as bad as people here told me. Novato is an ok place, nice school district and I'm walking distance to a few places downtown for shopping which is nice. Enough people from work live here we carpool almost every day.

It's too bad the rail can't link up to SF proper in some fashion. Going to the Ferry terminal doesn't really help me or others that have to trek into SF, but can be a great help to those who come in to San Rafael to work.

Yeah, I grew up all over Sonoma (Healdsburg, Windsor, Guerneville, & Cotati) and used to commute to Petaluma, Santa Rosa and San Rafael (and sometimes SF) a lot in nearly every direction. It's not bad once you get the traffic patterns down. Novato is nice, I knew some people from SRJC there and it's a pretty good place to live and close to everything.

SMART is going to be a bit of a boondoggle because it's going to be expensive and very time consuming if you want to get to SF. You'll have to pay ~$6-10 x 2 for the train, then wait around for the ferry and another $6.25 x 2, and then that will still only take you to the Ferry Building. The first phase doesn't even take you to Larkspur so you'd have to get off at San Rafael and then wait for a connecting bus to take you the Ferry and ugh. Phase 1 is going to be a clusterfuck and it's going to be held up by opponents who will say "look it doesn't work! nobody is using it!" and then phase 2 will probably get delayed due to funding. It'd be nice to have the option to get between cities without driving, but most of the jobs are not really centralized with a kinda poor bus system so I'm not seeing much use of it for commute purposes.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Xaris posted:

Yeah, I grew up all over Sonoma (Healdsburg, Windsor, Guerneville, & Cotati) and used to commute to Petaluma, Santa Rosa and San Rafael (and sometimes SF) a lot in nearly every direction. It's not bad once you get the traffic patterns down. Novato is nice, I knew some people from SRJC there and it's a pretty good place to live and close to everything.

SMART is going to be a bit of a boondoggle because it's going to be expensive and very time consuming if you want to get to SF. You'll have to pay ~$6-10 x 2 for the train, then wait around for the ferry and another $6.25 x 2, and then that will still only take you to the Ferry Building. The first phase doesn't even take you to Larkspur so you'd have to get off at San Rafael and then wait for a connecting bus to take you the Ferry and ugh. Phase 1 is going to be a clusterfuck and it's going to be held up by opponents who will say "look it doesn't work! nobody is using it!" and then phase 2 will probably get delayed due to funding. It'd be nice to have the option to get between cities without driving, but most of the jobs are not really centralized with a kinda poor bus system so I'm not seeing much use of it for commute purposes.

Yeah also Sonoma tends to be a more rural county with a lower population and also density than the more built up parts of the bay area.

Another side note is all the way back in the 80s there were proposals to switch Caltrain over to electricity but was blocked by you know who/lack of local funding. It was until the high speed rail white elephant project that Caltrain finally got enough federal funding to seriously start the upgrade.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Glad to see our corporate warriors are fighting against tyranny for us: http://blog.sfgate.com/cityinsider/2014/06/26/monkeyparking-tells-sf-its-not-going-to-kill-its-parking-app/

quote:

“I have the right to tell people if I am about to leave a parking spot, and they have the right to pay me for such information,” Dobrowolny said.

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

I can't wait until some douche doing this gets their car rammed by a raging crazy person, or gets stabbed in the face or something. Oh wait, I actually don't want that to happen, because stuff like that is bad. As is charging people for the use of public property that you don't own. Which is exactly why this parking app is a stupid idea.

cheese
Jan 7, 2004

Shop around for doctors! Always fucking shop for doctors. Doctors are stupid assholes. And they get by because people are cowed by their mystical bullshit quality of being able to maintain a 3.0 GPA at some Guatemalan medical college for 3 semesters. Find one that makes sense.
I love how patently ridiculous that claim is when you apply it to other standards. "Guys, I'm not selling unregistered handguns. I'm just storing them in a place and selling information about where they are. Its totally legal and not at all the same as you giving me money for a gun."

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

The Forum where they had on the CEO of this app company was hilarious. The guy was exactly as much of an rear end in a top hat as you'd expect, his arguments about why this is legal were completely ridiculous, and Michael Krasny actually had to interrupt him at one point and explain to him that Forum is "a dialog".

on the left
Nov 2, 2013
I Am A Gigantic Piece Of Shit

Literally poo from a diseased human butt

cheese posted:

I love how patently ridiculous that claim is when you apply it to other standards. "Guys, I'm not selling unregistered handguns. I'm just storing them in a place and selling information about where they are. Its totally legal and not at all the same as you giving me money for a gun."

You just helped a bitcoin startup with the next million dollar idea!

Slobjob Zizek
Jun 20, 2004
This guy sounds like an idiot, and will lose this fight, but why can't the city just implement more limited-time nonresident parking?

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Slobjob Zizek posted:

This guy sounds like an idiot, and will lose this fight, but why can't the city just implement more limited-time nonresident parking?

Where do you suggest they implement those parking spots? Removing residential parking or adding more parking spots? SF provides one of the most amazing parking availability APIs.

Slobjob Zizek
Jun 20, 2004

Trabisnikof posted:

Where do you suggest they implement those parking spots? Removing residential parking or adding more parking spots? SF provides one of the most amazing parking availability APIs.

I'm at a loss as to what this guy is doing. Does his app secretly signal when someone is leaving a meter or something?

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

Slobjob Zizek posted:

I'm at a loss as to what this guy is doing. Does his app secretly signal when someone is leaving a meter or something?

I think it's like Uber except with parking spots. Someone announces they are leaving a spot, someone else is notified about it and pays for the spot, then they meet and swap places. Of course it's just an exchange of information!

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

The app works like this, you parked somewhere and right before you leave you whip out your app and people who are looking for spots near you have bid a dollar amount for knowing the next spot. Highest bidder wins and the app tells them where your spot is and you get the money minus a cut.

Edit: That's not exactly right...here's from their website.

Trabisnikof fucked around with this message at 03:51 on Jul 1, 2014

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
And if there is any justice, before getting in your car to pull out of the spot you get run down by someone screwing with their phone while circling the block looking for parking.

Slobjob Zizek
Jun 20, 2004

Trabisnikof posted:

The app works like this, you parked somewhere and right before you leave you whip out your app and people who are looking for spots near you have bid a dollar amount for knowing the next spot. Highest bidder wins and the app tells them where your spot is and you get the money minus a cut.

Okay, so it's people selling off their spots when they leave. Obviously that is illegal. Interesting question: would it be illegal to remove the bidding part, but to make it social? I.e. to alert friends, goons, etc. that you will have a spot free?

Kobayashi
Aug 13, 2004

by Nyc_Tattoo

Slobjob Zizek posted:

Okay, so it's people selling off their spots when they leave. Obviously that is illegal. Interesting question: would it be illegal to remove the bidding part, but to make it social? I.e. to alert friends, goons, etc. that you will have a spot free?

That came up numerous times in the Forum segment referenced earlier. The CEO just blathered on about how people need the profit motive to use the app.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
^^^
Clearly dude won't get his sweet cut so he's against that.

Slobjob Zizek posted:

I think that would still leave it open for people to fight about parking spots. Unless you literally sit in the car with the engine off until your SwaPark buddy messages you that he's right behind your car.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

Slobjob Zizek posted:

SF already has a free app for metered spots that can direct you to an open space.

Slobjob Zizek
Jun 20, 2004

withak posted:

SF already has a free app for metered spots that can direct you to an open space.

I didn't know this! Okay so this guy is a pure clown.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

Slobjob Zizek posted:

I didn't know this! Okay so this guy is a pure clown.

Upon further inspection, it appears that the city removed the feature that directs you to empty spots in a recent update. :wtc:

edit: Apparently the sensors that detect whether a space is empty have been turned off. Who the gently caress thought that was a good idea?

withak fucked around with this message at 05:36 on Jul 1, 2014

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

withak posted:

Upon further inspection, it appears that the city removed the feature that directs you to empty spots in a recent update. :wtc:

edit: Apparently the sensors that detect whether a space is empty have been turned off. Who the gently caress thought that was a good idea?

The aforementioned Forum episode actually mentioned the sensors in passing with a short comment to the effect of them being relatively useless in practice. Apparently, as soon as you got to the spot that it said was free, someone else had usually gotten there first (because it would only let you know a spot was free when it was actually free). Hence the CEO's smarmy claims of "being more useful to cut the amount of traffic looking for parking spaces" because his company lets people know BEFORE the spot is available (for a fee, of course).

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Also, people need to get off their loving phones and drive. Having the City sponsor a citywide stare-at-your-phone while navigating traffic app is pretty dumb.

mA
Jul 10, 2001
I am the ugly lover.

on the left posted:

Hispanics are only a tiny portion of UC admissions, which would explain a large part of the disparity. Also, if the immigration system were loosened up, you'd probably see a lot more immigrants from South America even out a lot of the numbers on white collar employment.

If you're attempting to justify Google's hilariously pathetic hiring track record by appealing to UC admissions you should probably look elsewhere (nice try, though!). The UC system's newly admitted class is over 28.8% Chicano/Latino, which is a tad higher than a "tiny portion".

http://www.ucop.edu/news/factsheets/2014/fall-2014-admissions-table3.pdf

Sorry - you don't have real diversity, especially when the percentage of black and brown people you employ is literally so minuscule that it could almost fall into the margin of error of an election year poll.

Since the Google non-diverstiy numbers have come out, it's been interesting watching the tech crowd try to "DISRUPT!!!!" and reconceptualize ideas of diversity (i.e. We have white, male programmers from all over and...... Asians! ). Since the tech world in SF and SV are so ahead of the curve compared to the rest of us, they've totally bypassed this antiquated idea of diversity and they literally are the embodiment of equal opportunity and meritocracy - everyone else just needs to catch up!

mA fucked around with this message at 12:53 on Jul 1, 2014

on the left
Nov 2, 2013

mA posted:

If you're attempting to justify Google's hilariously pathetic hiring track record by appealing to UC admissions you should probably look elsewhere (nice try, though!). The UC system's newly admitted class is over 28.8% Chicano/Latino, which is a tad higher than a "tiny portion".

The graduation rate of Black/Latino people is dramatically different from Whites and Asians, both in the UC system and in general. Getting them into school doesn't help if they wash out or have a poor GPA (a contributing factor in the washout problem).

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

on the left posted:

The graduation rate of Black/Latino people is dramatically different from Whites and Asians, both in the UC system and in general. Getting them into school doesn't help if they wash out or have a poor GPA (a contributing factor in the washout problem).

The UC system has an 85% 6 year graduation rate. ( http://accountability.universityofcalifornia.edu/documents/accountabilityreport13.pdf , page 42)

on the left
Nov 2, 2013

Yeah, but Black and Hispanic are in the 70-80% range, and Whites/Asians are in the 85%+ range: http://diversity.berkeley.edu/undergraduate-students-new-freshmen-6-year-graduation-rates

gonger
Apr 25, 2006

Quiet! You vegetable!

mA posted:

Do you have a breakdown of majors/programs of study by race/ethnicity? Getting underrepresented minorities into the STEM pipeline is a big problem, and generally speaking it's those disciplines that the tech industry hires from. Seems like improving that would be the first piece of the solution.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

mA posted:

Sorry - you don't have real diversity, especially when the percentage of black and brown people you employ is literally so minuscule that it could almost fall into the margin of error of an election year poll.

Since the Google non-diverstiy numbers have come out, it's been interesting watching the tech crowd try to "DISRUPT!!!!" and reconceptualize ideas of diversity (i.e. We have white, male programmers from all over and...... Asians! ). Since the tech world in SF and SV are so ahead of the curve compared to the rest of us, they've totally bypassed this antiquated idea of diversity and they literally are the embodiment of equal opportunity and meritocracy - everyone else just needs to catch up!

Keep in mind that Indians are typically grouped in with Asians, but "brown people" probably includes Indians... there are a lot of Indians working in high tech/silicon valley and I bet a lot of them at Google too.

The "hilariously pathetic" hiring track record for Google, and other tech companies, is a reflection of the pool of candidates more than some kind of institutional racism throughout the software industry. Our country is doing a very bad job at graduating non-Asian minorities who are highly qualified for software positions.

Your UC admissions doc does not reveal how they break down into graduations by degree type, and the UC system itself is likely not representative of the nation as a whole's admissions.

I work at a different large software company and I have been involved in hiring before. Our pool of qualified candidates has always consisted primarily of A) lots of white men, B) a decent amount of white women, C) quite a few men and women from India, and D) almost nobody else, ever. Whatever filter is preventing us from seeing lots of qualified hispanics, is taking place well before we get resumes.

I'm not going to make the unsupportable claim that no software hiring managers are racially biased, because of course they are, and also gender-biased and age-biased. But the problem of minority representation in high tech cannot be solved only by attacking software companies on the diversity issue. It's a symptom of the nationwide problem of poor minority representation in graduating classes at universities, which is itself symptomatic of racial and (especially) economic inequality.

Leperflesh fucked around with this message at 19:15 on Jul 1, 2014

mA
Jul 10, 2001
I am the ugly lover.

gonger posted:

Do you have a breakdown of majors/programs of study by race/ethnicity? Getting underrepresented minorities into the STEM pipeline is a big problem, and generally speaking it's those disciplines that the tech industry hires from. Seems like improving that would be the first piece of the solution.

Yeah - I agree. /\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\

I work with youth in the Bayview-Hunters Point neighborhood community of San Francisco, within the schools and within local youth organizations. I've done my share of outreach to tech organizations and companies to try to get volunteers to work with students, as tutors or mentors, or even teach code.

Literally 99% of responses I get are "Invite your kids to our "#HACK4POVERTY" event! While my story is anecdotal, I don't think it's a stretch to say that it's also symptomatic of how tone deaf and out of touch they are issues regarding poverty and inequity, which is sad considering the publicly extolled mantra of SF CEOs (Benioff) and VCs (Ron Conway) is to "give back".

mA fucked around with this message at 19:24 on Jul 1, 2014

cheese
Jan 7, 2004

Shop around for doctors! Always fucking shop for doctors. Doctors are stupid assholes. And they get by because people are cowed by their mystical bullshit quality of being able to maintain a 3.0 GPA at some Guatemalan medical college for 3 semesters. Find one that makes sense.

mA posted:

Its also important to remind everyone that Google, Facebook, etc have been lobbying the goverment to block the release of this data for years. These companies have known they have a huge demographic PR nightmare on their hands and have almost certainly been working very hard over the last few years to fix that (read: hire latinos, blacks and women - bonus points for black/latino women!). And THIS is as diverse as they could get the company. I'd love to see what Facebooks demographics looked like in 2010. No words.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.

mA posted:

Yeah - I agree. /\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\

I work with youth in the Bayview-Hunters Point neighborhood community of San Francisco, within the schools and within local youth organizations. I've done my share of outreach to tech organizations and companies to try to get volunteers to work with students, as tutors or mentors, or even teach code.

Literally 99% of responses I get are "Invite your kids to our "#HACK4POVERTY" event! While my story is anecdotal, I don't think it's a stretch to say that it's also symptomatic of how tone deaf and out of touch they are issues regarding poverty and inequity, which is sad considering the publicly extolled mantra of SF CEOs (Benioff) and VCs (Ron Conway) is to "give back".
Have you tried talking to TEALS? http://www.tealsk12.org/

Leperflesh posted:

The "hilariously pathetic" hiring track record for Google, and other tech companies, is a reflection of the pool of candidates more than some kind of institutional racism throughout the software industry. Our country is doing a very bad job at graduating non-Asian minorities who are highly qualified for software positions.
This is true. In particular, there are few black or Hispanic CS majors. I'd bet there were even fewer black or Hispanic CS majors in the past, percentage-wise, which is important when you consider that changes in college demographics aren't instantly reflected in workplace demographics.

Cicero fucked around with this message at 21:17 on Jul 1, 2014

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

It's hard to be humble when you're as great as I am.

Cicero posted:

This is true. In particular, there are few black or Hispanic CS majors. I'd bet there were even fewer black or Hispanic CS majors in the past, percentage-wise, which is important when you consider that changes in college demographics aren't instantly reflected in workplace demographics.

This doesn't really work as an explanation, though. If you limit it to non-tech employees, women are just about equal to men, but diversity by race barely changes at all, at least at google.

edit: It's too bad we can't look at age demographics, since a lot of these companies skew young.

Xandu fucked around with this message at 00:05 on Jul 2, 2014

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Google in 2013 had 26,500 employees and a total of 483 Black employees. Among CS, CE, and Information BS degree recipients in 2010 4.2% were Black. That same year there were 39,589 CS/IS degrees granted meaning ~1,700 Black CS/IS graduates that year. Google, Facebook, and the other shining stars of Silicon Valley can hire pretty much anyone they want. So I find the argument "we couldn't find any qualified black engineers" to be a cover for "we don't think its worthwhile to try hard enough to look outside our own social circles."

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Xandu posted:

edit: It's too bad we can't look at age demographics, since a lot of these companies skew young.

The median age of Google is 29.

http://bits.blogs.nytimes.com/2013/07/05/technology-workers-are-young-really-young/?_php=true&_type=blogs&_r=0

quote:

The seven companies with the youngest workers, ranked from youngest to highest in median age, were Epic Games (26); Facebook (28); Zynga (28); Google (29); and AOL, Blizzard Entertainment, InfoSys, and Monster.com (all 30). According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics, only shoe stores and restaurants have workers with a median age less than 30.

on the left
Nov 2, 2013

cheese posted:

Its also important to remind everyone that Google, Facebook, etc have been lobbying the goverment to block the release of this data for years. These companies have known they have a huge demographic PR nightmare on their hands and have almost certainly been working very hard over the last few years to fix that (read: hire latinos, blacks and women - bonus points for black/latino women!). And THIS is as diverse as they could get the company. I'd love to see what Facebooks demographics looked like in 2010. No words.

I am sure this is true for Africa as well, but there are plenty of well-qualified Hispanics in central and south America who can't get visas to come work for Google in the USA. If congress would fix the visa situation, a lot more diversity would take place. Hispanics are definitely hurt by the fact that immigration has been dominated by the uneducated/unskilled, who will then have children who are behind their peers, and so on and so forth.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

on the left posted:

I am sure this is true for Africa as well, but there are plenty of well-qualified Hispanics in central and south America who can't get visas to come work for Google in the USA. If congress would fix the visa situation, a lot more diversity would take place. Hispanics are definitely hurt by the fact that immigration has been dominated by the uneducated/unskilled, who will then have children who are behind their peers, and so on and so forth.

There are also plenty of well qualified Hispanics in America too but for *some* reason Google et all aren't hiring them.

(And again this applies to non-tech workers as much as tech workers)

on the left
Nov 2, 2013

computer parts posted:

There are also plenty of well qualified Hispanics in America too but for *some* reason Google et all aren't hiring them.

(And again this applies to non-tech workers as much as tech workers)

Only a small percentage of hispanics have bachelors degrees, and markedly less than the African American population:

The figures are really bad for men too, last time I checked. Black and hispanic women do the lion's share of keeping averages up for their respective races.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

on the left posted:

Only a small percentage of hispanics have bachelors degrees, and markedly less than the African American population:

The figures are really bad for men too, last time I checked. Black and hispanic women do the lion's share of keeping averages up for their respective races.

And even with those figures Black people and Latinos are still under-represented by a large margin (they should be 2-5 times higher than they are at Google even if you're only counting the native population*).

*And again, this is with non-tech jobs, i.e. the ones that are highest in Black/Latino representation.