Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
hanyolo
Jul 18, 2013
I am an employee of the Microsoft Gaming Division and they pay me to defend the Xbox One on the Something Awful Forums
Just finished Valiant Hearts - The Great War. Definitely worth a playthough/rent unless you really have an objection to the occasional game that requires no skill to play (I'm talking easier than Ryse levels here). The story and the artwork are 10/10.

hanyolo fucked around with this message at 20:05 on Jun 27, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WinnebagoWarrior
Apr 8, 2009

I eat Rotheseburgehergh's like you for breakfast

TheChirurgeon posted:

This is an outstanding post.

Yeah, that actually was massively interesting.

Obviously tons of older PC games run just fine on new hardware even if the games were designed to run on one or two cores and your CPU is 4 cores. Is the game just running off of 2 of your 4 cores in an instance like that? Does stuff like that not work on consoles because the games have been so specifically designed for a specific consoles hardware?

Edit - has anyone played the new Sniper Elite yet? The reviews are lukewarm but they were for the second one as well and that game was loving great so I was hoping that a fan of the series could let me know what they think of it.

WinnebagoWarrior fucked around with this message at 13:48 on Jun 30, 2014

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

Sniper Elite III seems to be the best Sniper Elite by a mile. I've seen people post that they've hated the previous two but really enjoy this one...so logically if you liked the second one then you'll probably love the third one.

Honestly, you can't go wrong. I loving hate sniping in video games and even I want to try out Sniper Elite III.

Edit: 78 on metacritic. For that series with the budget it gets that's pretty incredible, especially in 2014's landscape. I'd definitely check it out if I were you.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

WinnebagoWarrior posted:

Yeah, that actually was massively interesting.

Obviously tons of older PC games run just fine on new hardware even if the games were designed to run on one or two cores and your CPU is 4 cores. Is the game just running off of 2 of your 4 cores in an instance like that? Does stuff like that not work on consoles because the games have been so specifically designed for a specific consoles hardware?

Edit - has anyone played the new Sniper Elite yet? The reviews are lukewarm but they were for the second one as well and that game was loving great so I was hoping that a fan of the series could let me know what they think of it.

99% of games only run on one core anyway. That should change this generation.

WinnebagoWarrior
Apr 8, 2009

Kirios posted:

Sniper Elite III seems to be the best Sniper Elite by a mile. I've seen people post that they've hated the previous two but really enjoy this one...so logically if you liked the second one then you'll probably love the third one.

Honestly, you can't go wrong. I loving hate sniping in video games and even I want to try out Sniper Elite III.

Edit: 78 on metacritic. For that series with the budget it gets that's pretty incredible, especially in 2014's landscape. I'd definitely check it out if I were you.

I got $42 (!) for trading in WatchDogs so I might pick it up after work today. It looks like so much loving fun

The good thing is that there arent any terrible reviews of it. They are all either "liked it" or "thought it was ok". Have to decide whether to get it on PC or the bone. Sniping with a controller just seems... wrong. But I dunno if my PC will be handle dem graphics too well

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

WinnebagoWarrior posted:

I got $42 (!) for trading in WatchDogs so I might pick it up after work today. It looks like so much loving fun

The good thing is that there arent any terrible reviews of it. They are all either "liked it" or "thought it was ok". Have to decide whether to get it on PC or the bone. Sniping with a controller just seems... wrong. But I dunno if my PC will be handle dem graphics too well

Eh, get it for the Xbox One. You, like every other Goon here, probably have 500 games on PC to play as is. May as well get a new toy for your new console. :)

Edit: Plus, you'll probably get at least 25-30 bucks for trading it in.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Just keep in mind the Xbone version has a 16gb day 1 patch.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.

Aphrodite posted:

Wait, really? Why?

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

Dan Didio posted:

Wait, really? Why?

Patching seems to be hosed and you are effectively downloading the entire game + new content every time.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Dan Didio posted:

Wait, really? Why?

The Xbox One has to fully redownload any files that change, it can't "patch" them. Strangely, the end result is a smaller install (it goes from 21 gigs to 19 gigs).

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Dan Didio posted:

Wait, really? Why?

The Xbone doesn't have delta update capability.

The actual patch data size is under 500mb.

Oh, also the PC version has 3D and the Xbone doesn't if you care about that. You probably don't.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.
I thought that was just a thing with Dead Rising. Wow, that really loving sucks for people in countries without a great internet infrastructure/affordable large cap plans.

WinnebagoWarrior
Apr 8, 2009

Aphrodite posted:

I read 10 gigs, but yeah, a lot of the patching is hosed up. Not all patches require huge updates and I am not sure what the differences are between ones that do and ones that dont. And the bone does a good job of stealth patching things now too so even if there is a big update, I dont even know about it the majority of the time.

But in any case, you are definitely not downloading the entire game every time you patch, but they are waaaaay bigger than they need to be. I have pretty fast internet and no cap but it would be awful if that wasnt the case.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

10 was the initial report, now that it's out in Europe people have said it's 16. Could be regional. That would make sense if the Euro version had localized content.

quote:

And the bone does a good job of stealth patching things now too so even if there is a big update, I dont even know about it the majority of the time.

The issue would be that it can't do that with a new release though, so when you bring the game home you have a 16gb download to wait through.

Edit:

quote:

I am not sure what the differences are between ones that do and ones that dont

The difference is number of files that need to be changed in the game. This Sniper Elite patch only makes 400mb worth of changes, but apparently that's small changes to nearly every file in the game.

Because the Xbone cannot actually update those files and instead needs to overwrite them with new copies, it adds up to a lot.

Aphrodite fucked around with this message at 15:24 on Jun 30, 2014

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

This displeases Dev- ..van. Shut up.

WinnebagoWarrior posted:

Yeah, consoles games are different because you program them specifically for one set of hardware and software. If you want to port it to another console, that console needs the same hardware\software, or it needs the sheer horsepower to emulate the old console. My statement was so stupid because I forgot that, yeah, Xbox One is essentially a hypervisor server and, yeah, they could easily create an virtual instance of the 360's OS, but when it comes to loading that VM with all the hardware it needs to be a 360, they're poo poo out of luck. You may as well just port the games to the One and be done with it, because now you're stuck trying to emulate a 360 soup to nuts in software and the One isn't so advanced that it can do that without performing abysmally. Or you're doing whatever Microsoft says they're doing to make this magically work, which is probably... I dunno, having one guy sit in a room in Redmond, Binging how to emulate a 360, while a man in a Polo yells at him.

More advanced hardware can really mess with older PC games or poorly ported console games. The core thing is a great example. Some ports- the older ones mainly- saw huge performance and stability gains just from disabling all but one core, because the developers didn't bother optimizing thoroughly.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

I'm sure it's probably not that much more expensive and way more profitable to release an "HD remake" (which you can sell for a lot more than a straight last-gen game, not to mention at retail), too. Even with an appears-to-be-working emulator, you still have to do a lot of testing, and most 360 games are bloated full of extra content because unlike, say, a Super NES platformer you can beat in an hour or two if you're good enough, people kind of expect 40+ hours of extra content for their used-to-be-$60 purchase. Emulation, when possible, I think will only be a last resort, like in a "we lost the source code" context, but I'm having trouble imagining what games people would want to play that would have this issue.

WinnebagoWarrior
Apr 8, 2009

mysterious frankie posted:

Yeah, consoles games are different because you program them specifically for one set of hardware and software. If you want to port it to another console, that console needs the same hardware\software, or it needs the sheer horsepower to emulate the old console. My statement was so stupid because I forgot that, yeah, Xbox One is essentially a hypervisor server and, yeah, they could easily create an virtual instance of the 360's OS, but when it comes to loading that VM with all the hardware it needs to be a 360, they're poo poo out of luck. You may as well just port the games to the One and be done with it, because now you're stuck trying to emulate a 360 soup to nuts in software and the One isn't so advanced that it can do that without performing abysmally. Or you're doing whatever Microsoft says they're doing to make this magically work, which is probably... I dunno, having one guy sit in a room in Redmond, Binging how to emulate a 360, while a man in a Polo yells at him.

More advanced hardware can really mess with older PC games or poorly ported console games. The core thing is a great example. Some ports- the older ones mainly- saw huge performance and stability gains just from disabling all but one core, because the developers didn't bother optimizing thoroughly.

yeah thats what I figured. Ive had to manually set one core to play certain old PC games before so I have experienced that. Also amusing are decade old games that dont have a capped framerate running on modern hardware at 300fps or whatever

Aphrodite posted:

The issue would be that it can't do that with a new release though, so when you bring the game home you have a 16gb download to wait through.

Yeah I guess I meant that the stealth patching thing is nice in general (booted up Titanfall for the first time in a week yesterday and was wondering why there was a new gameplay mode all of the sudden. Stealth patch!) but it doesnt help for a new game.

Also I just found out that Sniper Elite doesnt come out on consoles until tomorrow so I guess I wont be getting it after work today. I saw it on Steam over the weekend and assumed it was out for everything.

Nibbles!
Jun 26, 2008

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

make australia great again as well please

Aphrodite posted:

Because the Xbone cannot actually update those files and instead needs to overwrite them with new copies, it adds up to a lot.

Is this something they can fix eventually?

MrBond
Feb 19, 2004

FYI, Cheese NIPS are not the same as Cheez ITS

WinnebagoWarrior posted:

I read 10 gigs, but yeah, a lot of the patching is hosed up. Not all patches require huge updates and I am not sure what the differences are between ones that do and ones that dont. And the bone does a good job of stealth patching things now too so even if there is a big update, I dont even know about it the majority of the time.

Does it? I've been too lazy to turn off "instant on" but the last time I turned on my xbone I had to wait for the titanfall patch to download 650MB and install, when it had all day to do it before 8pm or so. I have basically no idea what it's doing eating 8-12W of power if it can't even patch in standby predictably, to say nothing of "xbox on" being inconsistent. At least the PS3 has a very predictable "turn on at 4am, download and upload anything/everything."

Crafty
Dec 9, 2003

I CAN'T SEE SHIT.

xbox one is the best

WinnebagoWarrior posted:

Where did you get all that money for watch dogs? Think I'm gonna trade it in too, think i'll get Wolfenstein.

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

Crafty posted:

Where did you get all that money for watch dogs? Think I'm gonna trade it in too, think i'll get Wolfenstein.

Target has a 50% bonus deal on trade-ins this week.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Nibbles141 posted:

Is this something they can fix eventually?

Well, it is a software thing and those can always be changed.

The 360 does do it though. So that means they must have chosen to go the other way on purpose.

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

Blargh, has anyone gotten Microsoft to replace a lovely Xbone controller? My launch day controller has gotten janky, and the stupid xbox button now sticks inside the controller on a regular basis. Looks like the "lol" one year warranty doesn't actually cover silly things like controllers? There doesn't seem to be any actual humans I can talk to, just twitter support people.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Apple updated to allow delta with iOS a few versions ago, so it can be implemented.

I guess they figured since this poo poo was designed to be always on they dont need to worry about it.

Sure am glad I have 100mbps internet, although I am looking to move soon and will proabably wind up on some horrible DSL service thats unable to hit 8mbps.

stevey666
Feb 25, 2007
Are you not in Australia, where it doesn't matter what speed you have because you can only play against Aussies and Kiwis anyway?

HelloNewman
Aug 8, 2007

When you control the mail, you control information!

Maneki Neko posted:

Blargh, has anyone gotten Microsoft to replace a lovely Xbone controller? My launch day controller has gotten janky, and the stupid xbox button now sticks inside the controller on a regular basis. Looks like the "lol" one year warranty doesn't actually cover silly things like controllers? There doesn't seem to be any actual humans I can talk to, just twitter support people.

A friend of mine was able to get his launch day controller exchanged a few weeks ago. I believe that he worked it out over their customer service chat.

matrix ripoff
Mar 16, 2005

~~~~~~~
i only suck dick in self defense
~~~~~~~
and at the bookstore
~~~~~~~
I don't know what's going on. When I play Titanfall, I have a sub 100 ping to the server I connect to (US Southwest), but when I get into a game, everyone's jittery and I have, at best, a 3-bar connection. The game is basically unplayable. All my other multiplayer games are running fine. Aggravating.

Crafty
Dec 9, 2003

I CAN'T SEE SHIT.

xbox one is the best

Maneki Neko posted:

Do the support live chat, they helped me out with migrating my account region and they were quick and knew what they were talking about.

matrix ripoff posted:

I don't know what's going on. When I play Titanfall, I have a sub 100 ping to the server I connect to (US Southwest), but when I get into a game, everyone's jittery and I have, at best, a 3-bar connection. The game is basically unplayable. All my other multiplayer games are running fine. Aggravating.

Not heard of anyone having lag issues specifically with titanfall. I used to get a ton of packet loss on a previous connection and it required the old unplug the router for 30 seconds fix. Maybe try connecting to a different data center?

They've updated the xbox.com profiles now, you can view all your recorded clips as well as all of your friends clips. Plus you can look at your achievements on the site now.

Works on mobile too. Picture stolen from neogaf:

WinnebagoWarrior
Apr 8, 2009

MrBond posted:

Does it? I've been too lazy to turn off "instant on" but the last time I turned on my xbone I had to wait for the titanfall patch to download 650MB and install, when it had all day to do it before 8pm or so. I have basically no idea what it's doing eating 8-12W of power if it can't even patch in standby predictably, to say nothing of "xbox on" being inconsistent. At least the PS3 has a very predictable "turn on at 4am, download and upload anything/everything."

Yeah I didnt have to wait for Titanfall to patch and I also had the new Forza track as soon as I got home after they announced it. I havent had to wait for a game to patch for quite awhile now.

Crafty posted:

I did it at gamestop actually. Their website said that the trade in value was like 35 dollars or something like that but when I got there they gave me 42 and I have no idea why. I didnt evenhave to trade it in towards something, (which is a thing they do sometimes) I just got straight up credit. The website says the current trade in value is like 27 bucks but since what they actually gave me was so much more, maybe that number is a minimum or something?

\/\/\/ That must be it. I wonder why they specifically list a lower price on the website then? Weird.

WinnebagoWarrior fucked around with this message at 14:37 on Jul 1, 2014

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

WinnebagoWarrior posted:

I did it at gamestop actually. Their website said that the trade in value was like 35 dollars or something like that but when I got there they gave me 42 and I have no idea why. I didnt evenhave to trade it in towards something, (which is a thing they do sometimes) I just got straight up credit. The website says the current trade in value is like 27 bucks but since what they actually gave me was so much more, maybe that number is a minimum or something?

They have a perpetual offer where you get $40 instead of the normal stated value for any really popular PS4 games.

Funkmaster General
Sep 13, 2008

Hey, man, I distinctly remember this being an episode of Spongebob. :colbert:

There's just something surreal about actually recieving this message:

Installation stopped: This game needs an update. The size of the update is around 16gb.

I know this has already been discussed, but god drat. As someone who just moved to an area where the only ISP has a data limit, this is frustrating as hell to deal with when I bought the physical disc.

Bob NewSCART
Feb 1, 2012

Outstanding afternoon. "I've often said there's nothing better for the inside of a man than the outside of a horse."

Funkmaster General posted:

Installation stopped: This game needs an update. The size of the update is around 16gb.

I know this has already been discussed, but god drat. As someone who just moved to an area where the only ISP has a data limit, this is frustrating as hell to deal with when I bought the physical disc.

The future of entertainment.

Crafty
Dec 9, 2003

I CAN'T SEE SHIT.

xbox one is the best

Funkmaster General posted:

16gb is no joke, I'm also on a datacap. Hopefully this doesn't become the norm. There were no big updates for watchdogs or titanfall, but dead rising forced the unlocked dlc on everyone. Is sniper elite any good? I read the Ai wasn't the best.

Guacamalee is available for free with gold tomorrow. The reviews are looking really good for the latest version. http://www.metacritic.com/game/playstation-4/guacamelee!-super-turbo-championship-edition

Spork o Doom
May 31, 2011

Crafty posted:

16gb is no joke, I'm also on a datacap. Hopefully this doesn't become the norm. There were no big updates for watchdogs or titanfall, but dead rising forced the unlocked dlc on everyone. Is sniper elite any good? I read the Ai wasn't the best.

It's not great but it does the job in the main. So long as the job is to path around until you pop their heads like cantaloupe and try to locate you if they are alerted. It has a lot of the old gameplay mechanics you associate with standard stealth game guards. Shortsighted to a fault and with the ability to callously disregard the death of friends and allies once 5 minutes has passed. That kind of thing. Haven't spotted it being dimmer than that yet.

I'm quite enjoying the game overall though and I wasn't a big fan of the original Sniper Elite.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy

Bob NewSCART posted:

The future of entertainment.

Imagine a data cap stomping on a human face... forever.

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic
I got gigabit fiber installed from a local utility in my small town in Texas.

1000/1000 with no datacaps.

Life's good man.

stevey666
Feb 25, 2007
All that internets and no twitter updates?

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

Raskolnikov2089 posted:

Life's good man.

no one cares

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic

Kirios posted:

no one cares

Your post argues otherwise.

It's not all sunshine and roses. I don't even get 1/4 of that connected to Microsoft servers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

Raskolnikov2089 posted:

Life's good man.

lol you live in a small town in texas.

e: woah I thought this was the other thread. haven't done that in awhile.

Awesome! fucked around with this message at 22:22 on Jul 1, 2014

• Locked thread