Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
cronox2
Jul 24, 2010

woah, you look
REALLY pissed off...
I enjoyed the Russo episodes but jeezus he really needs to learn to tell the Owen's death story with some tact or not tell it at all.

e: he got a lot better at the end of the story when he broke down but I'm referring more to the beginning of it when it seemed like he was putting the blame on the WCW rigging crew.

cronox2 fucked around with this message at 17:42 on Jul 1, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K9q70zCJYBc

Devcast Episode 15: America turned Face

So after a month of being dead, I have returned now trying to avoid death once again. On this show we talk about last week's NXT, Money in the Bank, Raw, answer some questions, and me and Slapnuts talk about the Transformers movies. Starting next episode as well actually, now that we finally have the freedom of scheduling, we will be putting up companion pieces to the episodes of us commentating a few movies. I won't say what these are, but chances are everyone's saw them already.

https://twitter.com/Sexy_Ferg
https://twitter.com/BlankusMaximus
https://twitter.com/SlapnutsSA
https://twitter.com/NielJacoby
http://feeds.feedburner.com/DevcastChronicles

Daniel Bryan
May 23, 2006

GOAT
I made a horrible song for the Bryan and Vinny show tonight and I hope they use it.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Daniel Bryan posted:

I made a horrible song for the Bryan and Vinny show tonight and I hope they use it.

They don't get that many songs, they'll normally get to it eventually.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Daniel Bryan posted:

It can't be worse than some of the recent ones that are just attempts at dance music with drops repeated.

Daniel Bryan
May 23, 2006

GOAT

MassRafTer posted:

It can't be worse than some of the recent ones that are just attempts at dance music with drops repeated.

Well it can be the same.

Grant DaNasty
Jul 17, 2006

I listened to the second part of Austin's interview with Vince Russo, and now Russo is taking credit for giving Vince McMahon the idea for the Montreal screwjob. I remember hearing that it was Triple H that said to Vince and Shawn, "If he's not going to do business, gently caress him, we'll do business for him." Is this the first time that Russo has said that he was behind the idea?

Daniel Bryan
May 23, 2006

GOAT

Grant DaNasty posted:

I listened to the second part of Austin's interview with Vince Russo, and now Russo is taking credit for giving Vince McMahon the idea for the Montreal screwjob. I remember hearing that it was Triple H that said to Vince and Shawn, "If he's not going to do business, gently caress him, we'll do business for him." Is this the first time that Russo has said that he was behind the idea?

Russo claims he started literally everything on that podcast. The attitude era, the screwjob, Austin 3:16 getting huge etc.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Daniel Bryan posted:

Russo claims he started literally everything on that podcast. The attitude era, the screwjob, Austin 3:16 getting huge etc.

Sliced bread, penicillin, the Emancipation Proclamation, The Manhattan Project, you name it, Russo has probably taken credit for it.

Dunbar
Feb 21, 2003

I've listened to every Austin podcast since the first one and the 2nd part of Russo was the first one I've ever had to turn off without finishing because I couldn't stand to hear the guest talk for another minute. I have no idea how Austin sat there for that entire three hour conversation without snapping. Not only does Russo take credit for everything, but in most instances, like the Austin 3:16 thing, he explains it in terms that are immediately self contradictory and make no sense. I sat there listening to the timeline he gave for the rise of Austin 3:16 thinking he sounded exactly like Hogan taking credit for something but having so little idea what he was talking about that he couldn't even lie coherently. I swear any time Austin insists that he's forgotten so much from his wrestling career, it's because he knows the guest is about to lie their rear end off and he just doesn't want to bother contradicting or arguing with them.

NienNunb
Feb 15, 2012

MassRafTer posted:

Tonight's Brawl 4 All discussion is some of the most fun I've had on this podcast and is probably the most in depth analysis you will ever get of a potential WCW Brawl 4 All.

It's everything I thought it would be and more. MRT, thank you for always spinning my lovely-rear end fantasy booking questions into gold.

EDIT: Also is Arm Wrestling legitimately a martial art?

NienNunb fucked around with this message at 04:02 on Jul 2, 2014

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

NienNunb posted:

It's everything I thought it would be and more. MRT, thank you for always spinning my lovely-rear end fantasy booking questions into gold.

I think that would depend on who you ask. Ask anyone involved with professional arm wrestling and they might say yes, ask literally any other person on the planet who understands your language and they would say no. And laugh. Like I just did.

edit: also, I got some good laughs at "sacred sport of Brawl for All".

Memento fucked around with this message at 06:38 on Jul 2, 2014

Malcolm Excellent
May 20, 2007

Buglord
Podmasters Pissquestion. Why does Big E talk like MLK now, and has there ever been a more insensitive speech imitation in the WWE/WCW/ECW?

NienNunb
Feb 15, 2012

Memento posted:

I think that would depend on who you ask. Ask anyone involved with professional arm wrestling and they might say yes, ask literally any other person on the planet who understands your language and they would say no. And laugh. Like I just did.

Am I remembering wrong or wasn't there a guy in PRIDE whose martial arts background was literally basketball?

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

NienNunb posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E5ubfIT7EcY&t=41s

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

:siren: ANOTHER FULL MONTH OF KARL STERN SHOWS :siren:

God bless

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Dunbar posted:

I've listened to every Austin podcast since the first one and the 2nd part of Russo was the first one I've ever had to turn off without finishing because I couldn't stand to hear the guest talk for another minute. I have no idea how Austin sat there for that entire three hour conversation without snapping. Not only does Russo take credit for everything, but in most instances, like the Austin 3:16 thing, he explains it in terms that are immediately self contradictory and make no sense. I sat there listening to the timeline he gave for the rise of Austin 3:16 thinking he sounded exactly like Hogan taking credit for something but having so little idea what he was talking about that he couldn't even lie coherently. I swear any time Austin insists that he's forgotten so much from his wrestling career, it's because he knows the guest is about to lie their rear end off and he just doesn't want to bother contradicting or arguing with them.

He's also one of those guys who thumps the table/desk for emphasis with every THUMP single THUMP word THUMP and THUMP sometimes THUMP every THUMP single THUMP SYL THUMP LA THUMP BLE

The sad thing is that there are obviously sensible and good ideas in amongst the rapid-fire spray of thoughts he has but he never seems able to restrain himself or covers them with so much bullshit that they get lost or ignored. It's one of the reasons I absolutely believe in the idea that McMahon was the filter for his ideas, even if he explicitly rejects that himself - after all in the first part of the interview he straight up says,"I wrote down every single idea I had, put as much thought as possible into it, went into excruciating details etc, etc and then I'd give it to Vince and he would take everything I did and somehow just make it all better."

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

JoshVanValkenburg posted:

Podmasters Pissquestion. Why does Big E talk like MLK now, and has there ever been a more insensitive speech imitation in the WWE/WCW/ECW?
I heard more James Brown, but you may be right. It's weird either way.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

BIG E is just doing the standard television/film version of "black preacher" as far as I can tell.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Jerusalem posted:

BIG E is just doing the standard television/film version of "black preacher" as far as I can tell.
Kinda' what I meant. James Brown in Blues Brothers.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Jerusalem posted:

What weighs more, the Bible or the Bhagavad Gita? Well worldy scholars and scientists have known for quite some time that the Bible outweighs the Bhagavad Gita here by a pound to a pound and a half sometimes, outweighs the Talmud sometimes by three to four pounds, outweighs that mighty Koran sometimes by five to ten pounds. You think about that.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

JoshVanValkenburg posted:

Ribsauce
Jul 29, 2006

Blacks in the back.
Bret's book said Gerald Brisco came up with the Screwjob finisher so that is probably most likely the truth.

Russo did take credit for every single thing. When he was talking about Golddust it was like it was all Russo, none of it was actually due to Golddust himself, yet 15 years later Golddust is still on fire.

Speaking of, I had no idea Austin and Golddust were travel buddies. I cannot wait for that show.

ColonelJohnMatrix
Jun 24, 2006

Because all fucking hell is going to break loose

Yeah, while the bullshit was hard to listen to the most grating thing with Russo was the loving THUMPING during every freaking point of emphasis (which was about every fifth word). You could also tell Steve was choosing to just not be contradictory and let the guy speak no matter what he said. The whole "Steve, this is the honest truth" after every question just tells you he's full of poo poo.

He also seems to be in the Hogan zone (like others have suggested) where I don't think he's explicitly lying to take credit for things so much as he has a distorted view of reality where he really thinks he did these things.

some bust on that guy
Jan 21, 2006

This avatar was paid for by the Silent Majority.
It was shocking how little credit Russo gave Austin for the Attitude Era. Austin asked what was the reason behind the success of the Attitude Era and I thought of course he's going to say the Austin/McMahon storyline. Immediately I became interested because I wanted to hear them talk about how that storyline came about. Instead he just talks about Mike Tyson. "Look at the numbers: When he was on that PPV, the next week we went from a 3 to a 4." Oh, you mean the PPV where Austin won the title for the first time? Don't you think that had something to do with the numbers? Note how he says the next week, not the night after. The Raw the night after WM did not have Tyson and Tyson was barely mentioned, so there's no reason to assume he would be on Raw the next week. Who the hell was watching WWE for Tyson the week after WM?

He then further talks about how he gave wrestlers something different to do each week. That's what made the Attitude Era great. He mentions the zamboni. He mentions the beer truck that Russo had to beg and plead with Austin to do. After Russo left, Austin became a comedy act. You know Austin 3:16? McMahon never understood that. It was Russo's idea to put that on the magazine cover as soon as he heard it.

ColonelJohnMatrix
Jun 24, 2006

Because all fucking hell is going to break loose

JR's interview with Rousey wasn't that bad, if a little boring. He did manage to sneak in a "creepy JR" moment at the end with the buffalo wings thing.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Jerusalem posted:

Yeah it's really not much different than what D-Von Dudley used to do.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.

ColonelJohnMatrix posted:

Yeah, while the bullshit was hard to listen to the most grating thing with Russo was the loving THUMPING during every freaking point of emphasis (which was about every fifth word). You could also tell Steve was choosing to just not be contradictory and let the guy speak no matter what he said. The whole "Steve, this is the honest truth" after every question just tells you he's full of poo poo.

He also seems to be in the Hogan zone (like others have suggested) where I don't think he's explicitly lying to take credit for things so much as he has a distorted view of reality where he really thinks he did these things.

I'd agree with this. He talks with conviction, even if it doesn't quite make sense. He absolutely believes that he did these things. Basically he has an idea, Vince sees something interesting in there somewhere and salvages something from it, a lot of people work on it and then it becomes a success. The problem is that Russo sees Step A) The initial idea, and Step B) The success. There's nothing else there.

It would be interesting to put cats like him and Hogan in a room with someone who knows they're full of poo poo and will actually call them out on it. I can understand why Austin wouldn't want to though. I guess it's like Marc Maron's interview with Carlos Mencia, where he just lets him talk until he has enough rope to hang himself with.

Dunbar
Feb 21, 2003

Austin letting Russo blab on and on without challenging him is even funnier if you've listened to the podcast for a while, because Austin has a memory like a trap for stuff he chooses to remember on the air. There was an episode a while back where he was describing a tag match from early in his career where he remembered exactly how the tags went, who got heat in what order, and who won the pinfall using which move. But then he pretends not to know how Austin 3:16 became a big deal.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Dunbar posted:

Austin letting Russo blab on and on without challenging him is even funnier if you've listened to the podcast for a while, because Austin has a memory like a trap for stuff he chooses to remember on the air. There was an episode a while back where he was describing a tag match from early in his career where he remembered exactly how the tags went, who got heat in what order, and who won the pinfall using which move. But then he pretends not to know how Austin 3:16 became a big deal.

After listening to it, yeah, DrVenkman is totally right, Austin was totally just giving Russo enough rope to hang himself. He basically brought up one topic, then let Russo dig his own grave.

dsriggs
May 28, 2012

MONEY FALLS...

...FROM THE SKY...

...WHENEVER HE POSTS!
OSW Review: ECW One Night Stand 2006
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=asAl5sWi7lY

Ghostpilot
Jun 22, 2007

"As a rule, I never touch anything more sophisticated and delicate than myself."
You could make a drinking game around Russo's every utterance of "y'know, Steve..."

Don't actually do this; I don't want anyone to die. :ohdear:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Hijo Del Helmsley posted:

After listening to it, yeah, DrVenkman is totally right, Austin was totally just giving Russo enough rope to hang himself. He basically brought up one topic, then let Russo dig his own grave.

I liked how he lets Russo go on and on about how no Southern wrestler ever made it big (including dismissing a number of Southern wrestlers who made it big because "they don't count") and then finishes with,"Well I could sit here and give you a list of names but let's just move on to the next subject."

Ribsauce
Jul 29, 2006

Blacks in the back.
There was a good example of Austin's memory in that very episode. Russo was like "Steve, I don't know if you will remember, we were doing a house show and the light went out, I am not sure where it wa-"
Austin: "Florence, South Carolina"

Ghostpilot
Jun 22, 2007

"As a rule, I never touch anything more sophisticated and delicate than myself."

Jerusalem posted:

I liked how he lets Russo go on and on about how no Southern wrestler ever made it big (including dismissing a number of Southern wrestlers who made it big because "they don't count") and then finishes with,"Well I could sit here and give you a list of names but let's just move on to the next subject."

Something that struck me, particularly in the first episode, was Steve's emphatic and repeated mentions of Russo's site and twitter handle, as if to say "direct hate-mail over there."

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

To be fair, Austin makes a big deal out of plugging the hell out of anything his guests are doing, and will frequently ask them during the interview if they have anything else going on they want him to plug. He'll give out phone numbers, e-mails and facebook accounts to help get guys bookings, push their websites and any projects they're currently working on, and promote any event they might be making an appearance at.

I imagine Russo will see some kind of bump up in visitors to his site after this interview, and I doubt he is going to be displeased by that even if a bunch of them are showing up to tell him he sucks.

Skunkrocker
Jan 14, 2012

Your favorite furry wrestler.

Jerusalem posted:

To be fair, Austin makes a big deal out of plugging the hell out of anything his guests are doing, and will frequently ask them during the interview if they have anything else going on they want him to plug. He'll give out phone numbers, e-mails and facebook accounts to help get guys bookings, push their websites and any projects they're currently working on, and promote any event they might be making an appearance at.

I imagine Russo will see some kind of bump up in visitors to his site after this interview, and I doubt he is going to be displeased by that even if a bunch of them are showing up to tell him he sucks.

Controversy creates cash. :suicide:

Daniel Bryan
May 23, 2006

GOAT
Here is the song I made for the Bryan and Vinny show last night. Simple, but I had fun: http://tindeck.com/listen/pjex

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

Wrestlehut Pisscast Episode 49

They did a show I don't know what they talked about until questions

http://www.mediafire.com/download/17zu246dn25vpqb/049+Wrestlehut+Pisscast.mp3

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Daniel Bryan posted:

Here is the song I made for the Bryan and Vinny show last night. Simple, but I had fun: http://tindeck.com/listen/pjex

That was much better than the recent crappy songs.

• Locked thread