Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Westy543 posted:

Cool patch note SOE

:homebrew:

I guess its a good thing I didn't buy the extended mags on my burster arms!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Epic High Five posted:

People fall into hysterics over dumb stuff, though in the Magrider's case I believe it also has higher gravity so there actually IS more drop

This is the main issue. In addition to the shot being slow and relatively weak, the gravity on the round is atrociously high. Basically imagine a dumbfire rocket launcher's arc only without the 40-50 meter "mostly straight" bit at first. It's why I consider the Magrider's real "main gun" to be the PPA/Saron on top because those are right nasty, especially on the super-stable platform that is the Magrider. The front gun on the Magrider is just to keep the driver from getting bored.

Lassitude
Oct 21, 2003

folgore posted:

Regardless of all the faction cheerleading bullshit, that AP change is absolutely rear end backwards and if you think it's a good thing then your opinions regarding this game are bad.

I'm not cheerleading anything, I'm saying that goons seriously undersell the vanu stuff for no reason. As for the AP change, I don't know how I feel about it. I know what SOE is trying to do, but I'm not sure it's going to pan out as they expect. I like tanks being shittier at farming infantry, but I'm not sure that a few seconds lower TTK and 25 m/s velocity is enough to keep AP worthwhile.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Lassitude posted:

I'm not cheerleading anything, I'm saying that goons seriously undersell the vanu stuff for no reason. As for the AP change, I don't know how I feel about it. I know what SOE is trying to do, but I'm not sure it's going to pan out as they expect. I like tanks being shittier at farming infantry, but I'm not sure that a few seconds lower TTK and 25 m/s velocity is enough to keep AP worthwhile.

I'm a full time medic on all factions and I don't feel like I undersell the VS ARs when I call them a dumpster fire

The Terminus is p good but even then it's only MAYBE as good as the Carnage for 4x the price

Anyway most people dislike the VS arsenal because it's so dull, not because it's ineffective. Including the Magrider, the VS equipment tends to score quite highly across the board, it's just....blah. Like cut rate TR guns

INKRO
Feb 7, 2012

Westy543 posted:

Cool patch note SOE

:homebrew:

Does this apply retroactively? I tried purchasing the HS/NV scope on an alt for the NS7 just to try it out and it was only on that account. :downs:

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

I have AFG and ALS on almost every NC gun that can take it. Hooray for certmas! :dance: And gently caress spending those certs on exmags and slugs for my Grinders, that's what SC is for.

E: This does have me kind of worried though. What if they make class/vehicle upgrades buyable with SC? :ohdear:

Bloody Pom fucked around with this message at 06:20 on Jul 2, 2014

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

Bloody Pom posted:

I have AFG and ALS on almost every NC gun that can take it. Hooray for certmas! :dance: And gently caress spending those certs on exmags and slugs for my Grinders, that's what SC is for.

E: This does have me kind of worried though. What if they make class/vehicle upgrades buyable with SC? :ohdear:

Oh don't worry, when revenue falls enough, they will.

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

I won't lie, I would spend money on certain rank unlocks.

People like Tartan Tory and I are the ones keeping this game afloat. :shepspends:

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

hailthefish posted:

Oh don't worry, when revenue falls enough, they will.

Naw, class stuff is pretty well off-limits. It's too valuable for them to remain in the "clearly not P2W" segment of such a sensitive market, and such a mercenary act would ruin that

Any NC that don't have it already, I'd recommend very strongly that you put 200 of those certs you're getting back into a GD-22S+grip. It's a fantastic complement to the SAW and since PU02 has quietly become probably a top 5 LMG across the whole game

Getting 10+ back? It's Tross time baby :getin:

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

Considering NC MAXes have to pay 1300 certs a pair to get their shotgun arms up to par, I'm more than happy about this SC-for-attachments change. #sluglyfe

Aaod
May 29, 2004
Man you know these changes are stupid when all 3 factions agree they are a bad idea.

o muerte
Dec 13, 2008

Epic High Five posted:

I'm a full time medic on all factions and I don't feel like I undersell the VS ARs when I call them a dumpster fire

The Terminus is p good but even then it's only MAYBE as good as the Carnage for 4x the price

Are you kidding? the Terminus is a babby Orion and it's amazing.

I mean, if you treat it like an NC gun and sit at range trying to outshoot people without strafing then yeah it sucks but close in just ADAD while aiming at their face and the gun is gold.

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

A Tartan Tory posted:

Someone explain implants to me like I'm five, thanks.

Free to play.

Sedisp
Jun 20, 2012

Epic High Five posted:

People fall into hysterics over dumb stuff, though in the Magrider's case I believe it also has higher gravity so there actually IS more drop

Nope. Identical gravity just slower.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

A Tartan Tory posted:

Someone explain implants to me like I'm five, thanks.

Stick implants in your implants slot on each class. They do things. Higher tiers do better things. They use energy from a common pool, but you get charger implants relatively regularly and can buy/craft more later once you get an excess of implants apparently.

Craft 3 of the same tier to create a random implant of the same tier as the one you crafted. Craft 5 of the same tier to get a random implant of the next tier. There are three tiers, so obviously don't craft past that point.

You can also burn a handful of certs (200 if I remember correctly) or Smedbucks to get packs of 5.

Sedisp posted:

Nope. Identical gravity just slower.

Really? It sure feels like it falls like a rock. But I only have anecdotal experience to back that up.

o muerte
Dec 13, 2008

Alkydere posted:

Stick implants in your implants slot on each class. They do things. Higher tiers do better things. They use energy from a common pool, but you get charger implants relatively regularly and can buy/craft more later once you get an excess of implants apparently.

Craft 3 of the same tier to create a random implant of the same tier as the one you crafted. Craft 5 of the same tier to get a random implant of the next tier. There are three tiers, so obviously don't craft past that point.

You can also burn a handful of certs (200 if I remember correctly) or Smedbucks to get packs of 5.

Rules of thumb for optimum implant autism:

Never craft 3 of the same tier together, ever.
Never craft chargers from tier 1 + tier 2, ever.
Chargers crafted from a t2 + t3 implant basically turn every tier 1 that you've combined up to that point into a standard charger (t2 + t3 = 24k energy)

Easymode? Stick battle hardened on every class and tick the "auto charge" box on the energy screen, then forget about implants for six months.

Sedisp
Jun 20, 2012

Alkydere posted:

Really? It sure feels like it falls like a rock. But I only have anecdotal experience to back that up.

Yeah that's because it's slower so it drops more at the same distance. This is why it's silly to say 25m/s isn't a big deal.

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

You're going to try ponies and you're. Going. To. LOVE. ME!!
Time to start certing HEAT reload on my Vanguard I guess?

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

Sedisp posted:

Yeah that's because it's slower so it drops more at the same distance. This is why it's silly to say 25m/s isn't a big deal.

Well, I never pulled the Magrider for its front gun anyways, that was always a bonus to me. At least, once they buffed/fixed the other tanks and nerfed the Mag into the ground (serious, what is it about SOE and not understanding you don't buff one half of the equation while nerfing the other half). You pull a Mag for its spider-tank abilities and its secondary gun for someone else to ride in and generate all the points.

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

So I guess they never fixed the 'jump jets randomly stop working' bug.

Also, the spawn room teleporter in Comglobal Telegraph is embedded in the floor.

hailthefish fucked around with this message at 08:58 on Jul 2, 2014

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction

o muerte posted:

I mean, if you treat it like an NC gun and sit at range trying to outshoot people without strafing then yeah it sucks but close in just ADAD while aiming at their face and the gun is gold.

The Carnage is special in that it's nothing like an NC gun and I've always felt it was a VS gun that somehow escaped and got given to the NC instead. It's really nice.

Alkydere posted:

Prowler shells fall like rocks too, until you lock down and the Velocity buffs mean it suddenly becomes a sexy sniper rifle.

A Lockdown Flak MAX is also about a billion times better thanks to the Velocity changes but almost no TR seem to appreciate this, to the surprise of no one.

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011

o muerte posted:

The Terminus doesn't get .75 ADS so it's not terrible similar to the Orion except that it shoots fast. And while it's easily the best gun in the VS medic selection by a long shot, it's literally just an average gun compared to the TR and VS assault rifles. The most accurate description of the Terminus is a T1 Cycler with 10 less rounds.

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

To add injury to the insult of Comglobal Telegraph having its TP 70% underground, the spawn room is surrounded on 3 sides by towering bluffs. Bluffs it's really easy to walk up from the other side. With no other way out of the building.

:soe:

Aaod
May 29, 2004

hailthefish posted:

To add injury to the insult of Comglobal Telegraph having its TP 70% underground, the spawn room is surrounded on 3 sides by towering bluffs. Bluffs it's really easy to walk up from the other side. With no other way out of the building.

:soe:

I honestly think the Hossin bases have been by far the hardest to retake out of all the continents so far. Sure a lot of it is pubbie incompetence such as not taking the teleporter at the zigurat, but on other bases when it teleports you not even 20 feet?

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012
Crossposting from the GOON thread:

Aesis posted:

Turns out Daum (a Korean company) is publishing Planetside 2 in Korea. After some CBT/OBT they decided to unlock ingame store and guess what, majority of good weapons (vortex/rotary/hailstorm/rocketpod etc etc) are cash purchasable only, and more expensive as well :v:

Seriously, this is why I don't touch Korean (or games published by Korean companies) games.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

Aaod posted:

I honestly think the Hossin bases have been by far the hardest to retake out of all the continents so far. Sure a lot of it is pubbie incompetence such as not taking the teleporter at the zigurat, but on other bases when it teleports you not even 20 feet?

It really depends on the base. Some are really heavily weighed in the defender's favor (Ziggurat, IF the pubbies are shown the teleporter) while some have teleports either 10 meters from the spawn or all/the majority of the points are 200+ meters from the spawn room.

Spacedad
Sep 11, 2001

We go play orbital catch around the curvature of the earth, son.
The continent locking system is kind of rear end right since all it's doing at the moment is encouraging ghost-capping so a particular empire will have a locked continent bonus that no one has any say about. The NC on Emerald have been really sperging a lot lately about getting those ghost cap cont locks.

Quite frankly anything that encourages players to not fight each other should be changed in the game.

I'd prefer it if the continent locking was a reward for a long well-fought primetime battle, or could be shattered open at the start of or during primetime.

I realize the cont-lock system is a work in progress - so I do hope they're taking note of player actions and feedback on this. I'm in favor of a continent locking system, it just needs a trigger and a shatter mechanic that encourages good battles and hard-fought victories rather than facilitating ghost-capping.

Spacedad fucked around with this message at 10:43 on Jul 2, 2014

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012

Spacedad posted:

The continent locking system is kind of rear end right since all it's doing at the moment is encouraging ghost-capping so a particular empire will have a locked continent bonus that no one has any say about. The NC on Emerald have been really sperging a lot lately about getting those ghost cap cont locks.

Quite frankly anything that encourages players to not fight each other should be changed in the game.

I'd prefer it if the continent locking was a reward for a long well-fought primetime battle, or could be shattered open at the start of or during primetime.

I think it'll be better when we get the battle islands in, and we can get the Continental Lattice.

Spacedad
Sep 11, 2001

Segmentation Fault posted:

I think it'll be better when we get the battle islands in, and we can get the Continental Lattice.

Yeah I like that. Especially given that it means smaller-scale battles where tactics matter over numbers too.

I just worry about a lot of possible unintended consequences of battle-islands.

Oh and I'm secretly hoping we'll see a satellite-orbit and space battle tier of the game someday. :dance:

Arghy
Nov 15, 2012

o muerte posted:

No its not compare these stats,
http://stats.dasanfall.com/ps2/item/14 cyler
http://stats.dasanfall.com/ps2/item/7103 carnage
http://stats.dasanfall.com/ps2/item/20 pulsar
http://stats.dasanfall.com/ps2/item/7153 terminus

The terminus has a better reload and 19 more RPM but gives up 10 rounds to the cycler and .75 ADS to the carnage. Its an inferior version of both guns because that faster reload is measured in a second at most for way less DPM and no .75 ads. VS isn't allowed to have good guns, the pulsar C/orion/SV88 are anomalies that will soon be removed.

Spacedad posted:

I realize the cont-lock system is a work in progress - so I do hope they're taking note of player actions and feedback on this. I'm in favor of a continent locking system, it just needs a trigger and a shatter mechanic that encourages good battles and hard-fought victories rather than facilitating ghost-capping.
NC was running dedicated ghost capping platoons before cont capping now you get nearly 4 squads with loving max support ghost capping a cont at 3am. They get absurdly butt hurt and frustrated if you try to give them a fight. Their entire goal for the night is to cap a cont then go to bed so they can lose it in 2-3 hours when TR logs on and does the same.

Spacedad
Sep 11, 2001

Arghy posted:

NC was running dedicated ghost capping platoons before cont capping now you get nearly 4 squads with loving max support ghost capping a cont at 3am. They get absurdly butt hurt and frustrated if you try to give them a fight. Their entire goal for the night is to cap a cont then go to bed so they can lose it in 2-3 hours when TR logs on and does the same.

The game sadly is structured at the moment to encourage that kind of lovely behavior, so they really need to address that. The game should really be structured to encourage active play against other players and not ghostcapping after-hours.

I'm starting to really miss the 'come on in the evening and do 1-2 alerts' pattern the game had going for it up to now. Now it's just perpetual continent pushing without the big sporting event of an alert.

Up to recently, I thought alerts were the *real* game and something meant for primetime but it turns out the *real* game is just capping bases back and forth - turns out they only kick in if the server has a LOWER population. :sigh:

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
They removed alerts? WTH? Was starting to get the PS2 itch, but if it's back to Ghost Capping: The Game like it was several months ago (maybe a year?), gently caress that :(

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction
They removed Global alerts (Which were poo poo, so good) they still have Continent alerts.

But because Hossin is shiny and new they're not well attended because everyone is playing on Hossin.

A FESTIVE SKELETON
Oct 2, 2011

TIS THE SEASON BITCH
If I recall, the actual problem is that too many (heh) people are playing on Emerald at the moment for alerts to trigger. Alerts only trigger if the server population drops below a certain threshold I thought.

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
I loved global alerts, it got people into the Meat Grinder. Still really sad that it's ghost cap central. That's the most boring unfun way to play this game.

Ra-amun
Feb 25, 2011

Stanley Pain posted:

I loved global alerts, it got people into the Meat Grinder. Still really sad that it's ghost cap central. That's the most boring unfun way to play this game.

As of right now, around two of the continents are generally full with faction pops equal at primetime, so you'll be able to get your fights. There isn't all that much ghostcapping during the daytime hours of the game especially if you're playing with goons.

It's only really a problem with those certain types of pubbies who are incredibly averse to shooting people in an MMOFPS.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

I don't get where people are getting the idea the game is ghostcap central. I was playing two nights ago at 2am EST and there were dozens of 24-48 fights and at least one 48 vs 48 going on.

Polyakov
Mar 22, 2012

Away all Goats posted:

I don't get where people are getting the idea the game is ghost-cap central. I was playing two nights ago at 2am EST and there were dozens of 24-48 fights and at least one 48 vs 48 going on.

Its true, even at 6am EST forwards there's usually a fight to be found on Emerald, the problem is finding enough NC to actually be able to fight the VS rather than shoot impotently from spawn.

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood
I don't get where this ghostcapping stuff is coming from. With how big the fights have been recently I hadn't actually noticed the lack of alerts yesterday until one hit Esamir at midnight. The crown is still a miserable slog, if any of you were curious.

But hey, I'm sure alerts will come back once the new content smell rubs off. If not, and this is the new normal, maybe they'll move the population trigger higher.

edit- also seems like TR/VS have been shellacking the NC particularly hard lately. Most of last night was a desperate scramble to not get warpgated at Hossin followed by a futile attempt to take back the Crown.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AggressivelyStupid
Jan 9, 2012

Clearly NC needs a TR level buff

• Locked thread