Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Exioce
Sep 7, 2003

by VideoGames

Fizzil posted:

This is false, Abrogation only applies if there is hadith specifically abrogating it, it is not based on chronology. By the way, all the things i mentioned was in Medina, not Mecca. When he was in power.

Hadith are given chronologies, y'know? If an earlier one says the sky is blue and a later one says it is red, the later one is to be taken as truth.

As for Muhammad being nice to people in Medina, yeah political and military power didn't turn him into a complete dick. But it did change a lot of dynamics, especially how he treated those who were not under his power.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

GuyinCognito posted:

I wonder where Brown Moses is so he can identify the munitions that the ISIS are using? Seems suspicious.

Any examples in particular you want me to look at?

Exioce
Sep 7, 2003

by VideoGames

Numerical Anxiety posted:

I don't think I'll follow you there. Paul was at best ambivalent about marriage and the gospels depict Jesus as being hostile to it. Are we going to say that Christians who are invested in it aren't doing their religion right? Actual practice of any religion is pretty much never in conformity with the strict, ultra-conservative ideal that you're touting. And maybe it's just me, but if one is going to talk about Muslims or any other religious group, I'm more interested in what actual people do, not what some outsider tells them that they should be doing.

Again, it is the Quran, hadith, and jurisprudence that tells Muslims what they should be believing and doing. If Jesus had come right out and said marriage was evil and forbidden, I'd go out on a limb and say that anyone calling themselves Christian and happily marrying wasn't acting in an especially Christian manner, that their Christian belief was deficient because it directly contradicted the primary (?) and secondary texts of the religion. It's not me who is the judge, it's the texts.

ReV VAdAUL
Oct 3, 2004

I'm WILD about
WILDMAN
In non-trolling about Islam news:

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/2014/jul/02/tony-blair-advise-egypt-president-sisi-economic-reform

Tony Blair, in partnership with PWC and the UAE, is to Advise the Egyptian government on how to most efficiently rob the Egyptian people.

quote:

Tony Blair has agreed to advise the Egyptian president, Abdel Fattah el-Sisi, who came to power in a military coup last year, as part of a programme funded by the United Arab Emirates that has promised to deliver huge "business opportunities" to those involved, the Guardian has learned.

The former prime minister and Middle East peace envoy, who supported the coup against Egypt's elected president Mohamed Morsi, is to give Sisi advice on "economic reform" in collaboration with a UAE-financed taskforce in Cairo – a decision that has been criticised by one former ally.

The UAE taskforce is being run by the management consultancy Strategy& [SIC], formerly Booz and Co, now part of PricewaterhouseCoopers, to attract investment to Egypt's crisis-ridden economy at a forthcoming Egypt donors' conference sponsored by oil-rich UAE, Kuwait and Saudi Arabia.

ReV VAdAUL fucked around with this message at 14:43 on Jul 2, 2014

Gregor Samsa
Sep 5, 2007
Nietzsche's Mustache

gunblade posted:

Why is this being discussed in this thread? I'd be interested to learn about what ISIS believes Islam is, not so much what Exioce believes it is.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Exoice does not seem to be too far off though?

Fizzil
Aug 24, 2005

There are five fucks at the edge of a cliff...

Exioce posted:

Hadith are given chronologies, y'know? If an earlier one says the sky is blue and a later one says it is red, the later one is to be taken as truth.

As for Muhammad being nice to people in Medina, yeah political and military power didn't turn him into a complete dick. But it did change a lot of dynamics, especially how he treated those who were not under his power.

You are either obfuscating it deliberately or you mis-understood abrogation, because thats not what it means at all. Abrogation is identified when it specifically points out, with Muhammeds own words, that it's abrogated.

Also yeah, at least we agree on something, he isn't a monster, but a human. I'm not sure what that has to do with your mystery 6th pillar.

Rukeli
May 10, 2014

Exioce posted:

Let us allow Muhammad himself to explain it:

http://www.usc.edu/org/cmje/religious-texts/hadith/bukhari/052-sbt.php

And it goes on and on and on and on....

Those quotes are about fighting their contemporary enemies, not about fighting all non-muslims for an eternity, or more specifically 1400 years later.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Exioce posted:

Is it me who's the authority or is it the Quran, hadith, and jurisprudence which is the authority?

Given that you're pushing your own interpretation as the authoritative one instead of, you know, the interpretations of the scholars who have spent their lives studying the Quran, Hadith and jurisprudence and whose opinions are generally held as authoritative, then hell yes, you apparently think that you're the authority here.

But I suppose it's too much to ask to check what the muslims themselves believe before telling somebody that they're doing it wrong.

Kobold eBooks
Mar 5, 2007

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AN OPEN PALM SLAM A CARTRIDGE IN THE SUPER FAMICOM. ITS E-ZEAO AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I START DOING THE MOVES ALONGSIDE THE MAIN CHARACTER, CORPORAL FALCOM.
You lot are a lost cause. :psyduck:

But in an attempt to get things back on track, what does D&D think this could mean in reflection to the violence going down in Iraq? Do you think anything is going to come of it?

Flaky
Feb 14, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

Exioce posted:

I'm saying the Quran, hadith, and jurisprudence are to be deemed essential to defining Islam. Am I wrong in that?

Perhaps you would care to explain where in the Quran, hadith or jurisprudence, it says that the biggest obstacle to Islamic expansion would be other, clearly not-muslims, who occupy the same geographical area, ethnicity, language, customs, history and culture, and well, pretty much everything except exitential devotion to some words on a page. Because until I see some ethereal shining hosts descending to assist our true muslims to establish their holy land, I suspect that they wont get very far.

anonumos
Jul 14, 2005

Fuck it.

bathroomrage posted:

You lot are a lost cause. :psyduck:

But in an attempt to get things back on track, what does D&D think this could mean in reflection to the violence going down in Iraq? Do you think anything is going to come of it?

With regards to Israel, it's SSDD. As far as I know, nobody cares at all about the Palestinians anymore. :(

Exioce
Sep 7, 2003

by VideoGames

Fizzil posted:

You are either obfuscating it deliberately or you mis-understood abrogation, because thats not what it means at all. Abrogation is identified when it specifically points out, with Muhammeds own words, that it's abrogated.

Where in the texts or jurisprudence of Islam are you getting this from, that for something to be abrogated Muhammad must specifically mention what the earlier ruling was an what it is now?

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
The authorities on contemporary islam are islamic scholars. A lot of them don't agree with you, Exioce, so perhaps you should stop making GBS threads up the thread with what you'd prefer Islam to be?

The 'struggle' of war in the Qu'ran was first intended for the neighbours of the muslims. When they got new enemies, they updated the Qu'ran to include these. It was basically a religiously-flavoured campaign paper, and has no relevance today, except in allegorical terms.

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe

Tias posted:

Exioce, so perhaps you should stop making GBS threads up the thread with what you'd prefer Islam to be?

Exioce
Sep 7, 2003

by VideoGames

Rukeli posted:

Those quotes are about fighting their contemporary enemies, not about fighting all non-muslims for an eternity, or more specifically 1400 years later.

Actually, no specific enemies are mentioned in those hadith I quoted (but it's a long chapter so they may be). What the quoted hadith do prove, which was the intention all along, is that Jihad is damned important, with more rewards for the believer than praying and fasting even which are two of the 5 pillars of Islam.

If Muhammad intended Allah's rule to stop with Arabia, why did he prophecise about the conquests of Rome and Constantinople? He had no concept of self-determination or religious equality, he believed that Allah made all things possible, that his message was for all mankind. You and I know eternal war and the conquest of the earth is doomed to fail. Do you think he an his true believers did?

Exioce
Sep 7, 2003

by VideoGames

Cerebral Bore posted:

Given that you're pushing your own interpretation as the authoritative one instead of, you know, the interpretations of the scholars who have spent their lives studying the Quran, Hadith and jurisprudence and whose opinions are generally held as authoritative, then hell yes, you apparently think that you're the authority here.

But I suppose it's too much to ask to check what the muslims themselves believe before telling somebody that they're doing it wrong.

You mean scholars like Imam Abu Hanifa, who was born a mere 67 years after Muhammad, who came up with the concepts I'm taking about and founded one of the four main schools of Islamic jurisprudence, who refused the largesse of the ruler, and who was imprisoned, tortured, and murdered because he refused to modify Islam to suit the powers that be?

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

ReV VAdAUL posted:

In non-trolling about Islam news:

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/2014/jul/02/tony-blair-advise-egypt-president-sisi-economic-reform

Tony Blair, in partnership with PWC and the UAE, is to Advise the Egyptian government on how to most efficiently rob the Egyptian people.

To be fair, it looks more like he's grifting the oil-emirates, and trying to swindle them into dumping money into the Egyptian economy. Playing both sides. I guess the end goal would be to siphon money out of Egypt with the military taking a cut, but mostly the goal is to collect :20bux: for Blair

Exioce
Sep 7, 2003

by VideoGames

Tias posted:

The authorities on contemporary islam are islamic scholars. A lot of them don't agree with you, Exioce, so perhaps you should stop making GBS threads up the thread with what you'd prefer Islam to be?

The 'struggle' of war in the Qu'ran was first intended for the neighbours of the muslims. When they got new enemies, they updated the Qu'ran to include these. It was basically a religiously-flavoured campaign paper, and has no relevance today, except in allegorical terms.

A lot of scholars don't agree but a lot of them do, also. And in case you missed it, there's some guys who just recently took over a lot of land and hardware who agree too, and they're implementing various laws domestically and using it to inform foreign policy, so I would argue what the Quran and hadith say is still quite relevant to today.

bagual
Oct 29, 2010

inconspicuous

Exioce posted:

You mean scholars like Imam Abu Hanifa, who was born a mere 67 years after Muhammad, who came up with the concepts I'm taking about and founded one of the four main schools of Islamic jurisprudence, who refused the largesse of the ruler, and who was imprisoned, tortured, and murdered because he refused to modify Islam to suit the powers that be?

Pretty sure the scholars that are alive right now and that direct the muslim community today are more important for an analysis of the present moment. You're creating an ideal type from sources you picked (Imam Abu Hanifa in this case) and equating it with "real islam", putting an emphasis on a history of islamic ideals and ignoring the real community that sustains those ideals. Saying IS represents a truer version of islam to 8th century islam just shows how anachronistic and divergent IS is to mainstream islam practised by muslims around the world today.

Lightanchor
Nov 2, 2012

Exioce posted:

What do the other three say?

e: lol if you don't realize 'Allah's cause' is a cipher for material conditions

Lightanchor fucked around with this message at 15:44 on Jul 2, 2014

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

Exioce posted:

A lot of scholars don't agree but a lot of them do, also. And in case you missed it, there's some guys who just recently took over a lot of land and hardware who agree too, and they're implementing various laws domestically and using it to inform foreign policy, so I would argue what the Quran and hadith say is still quite relevant to today.

Great, you're THIS close to getting it. If I carved out a piece of Bavaria and claimed to found a new Holy Empire because part of such an ideal has been espoused by a christian scholar who knew Jesus and had been dead for millienia, it wouldn't WHAT CHRISTIAINITY IS, just because I felt like it.

In short, you really want expansionist warfare to be a clear part of Islam, and are using appeal to authority fallacy to get there.

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.
Why don't you guys utilize Occam's Razor and realize that he really, really doesn't like Islam and is just trying to paint it in a bad light? Just food for thought.

Numerical Anxiety
Sep 2, 2011

Hello.
More to the point, no reputable scholars have endorsed ISIS' "caliphate," no?

Exioce
Sep 7, 2003

by VideoGames

bagual posted:

Pretty sure the scholars that are alive right now and that direct the muslim community today are more important for an analysis of the present moment. You're creating an ideal type from sources you picked (Imam Abu Hanifa in this case) and equating it with "real islam", putting an emphasis on a history of islamic ideals and ignoring the real community that sustains those ideals. Saying IS represents a truer version of islam to 8th century islam just shows how anachronistic and divergent IS is to mainstream islam practised by muslims around the world today.

IS is extremely divergent from how a lot of mainstream Muslims practice Islam today, I would never question that. Most Muslims just want to pay the bills and have nice things. At the same time, IS is not alone in thinking the way they do. Consider all those eager foreign fighters in their ranks. More significantly still, even if their methods are condemned by the majority of Muslims the goal is often admired - a Caliphate that unites all Muslims under one banner and turns the tables on the Jews and the Christians.

IS will fall in time but their ideology will live on and a new IS will arise. The only way to stop it is to un-gently caress the Middle East, and I think we're all agreed that's not happening any time soon.

54.4 crowns
Apr 7, 2011

To think before you speak is like wiping your arse before you shit.

Exioce posted:

Sorry, I assumed you were aware that the Islam that Muhammad brought was pretty typical of religions of the time period and considered the entire world its right, through violent conquest if necessary. Incidentally, this is the Islam that IS believe in. You may have a different version of Islam to them, a nicer version for politer society, but you should know their interpretation is closer to the Islam of Muhammad than your own.

You're right though, the quotation on its own describes standard behaviour in war. However, if you read a few of the hadiths below that one on the provided link, it becomes clear that it is permissible to lie to kill those deemed undesirable even outside war.

Rite...and Brevik was closer to Norway then I am.

Exioce
Sep 7, 2003

by VideoGames

Tias posted:

Great, you're THIS close to getting it. If I carved out a piece of Bavaria and claimed to found a new Holy Empire because part of such an ideal has been espoused by a christian scholar who knew Jesus and had been dead for millienia, it wouldn't WHAT CHRISTIAINITY IS, just because I felt like it.

In short, you really want expansionist warfare to be a clear part of Islam, and are using appeal to authority fallacy to get there.

You're using the appeal to authority of guys over a millennia and a half removed from the source ("The authorities on contemporary islam are islamic scholars. A lot of them don't agree with you, Exioce"). I'm using an appeal to authority of a guy only a century removed from the source. The guy I'm using also didn't have a need to shoehorn in modern concepts and self-determination and equality into the mix. He also got tortured for his principles by not kowtowing to the ruler. Which of these authorities you are appealing to has as much credibility?

If you did what you said with regards to Bavaria, you wouldn't be doing it just because you felt like it. You'd have textual backing from primary sources.

Gregor Samsa
Sep 5, 2007
Nietzsche's Mustache

Exioce posted:

If you did what you said with regards to Bavaria, you wouldn't be doing it just because you felt like it. You'd have textual backing from primary sources.

Your empire might even pass peer review!

Fizzil
Aug 24, 2005

There are five fucks at the edge of a cliff...

Exioce posted:

Where in the texts or jurisprudence of Islam are you getting this from, that for something to be abrogated Muhammad must specifically mention what the earlier ruling was an what it is now?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Naskh_(tafsir)

One example given is when Muhammed prohibited the drinking of wine, that was a direct abrogation because it was permissible before. Its a very long and good read, plus:

"Yet despite its dependence on chronology, naskh is in no way a historiographical enterprise:

While it cannot really be doubted that there is an implicit assumption of the chronological-progressive order of the Qur'ān in the naskh texts, it is notable that the discussions themselves do not generally make this point explicit; naskh, be it with regards to wine or direction of prayer, always assumes that the present law is known (that is, no wine and facing Mecca), and the verses which agree with that fact are necessarily the valid ones. Any verses which contradict this are necessarily invalid, and thus can be logically arranged according to a basic notion of 'progressive revelation.' The arguments found in the naskh texts are, in short, based on logic not chronology.[9]

In particular, the central tenets of the faith are excluded from this process.
"

This still doesn't make violence a central core tenet of Islam. Also you're using someone close to the source instead of the source himself, why?

Edit: VV My Apologies i'll stop derailing VV

Fizzil fucked around with this message at 16:16 on Jul 2, 2014

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

Politburo regulations about social distancing require to downgrade your Karlmarxing to cold, and sorry about the dnc primaries, please enjoy!
Maybe stop talking to the guy who keeps saying the exact same thing no matter what evidence you bring up Hmm?

GuyinCognito
Nov 26, 2008

by Ralp

Brown Moses posted:

Any examples in particular you want me to look at?

All of them. You did it a bit for Ukraine and now you feel you don't have the time, as a live at home blogger, to examine the munitions that are in the same regional war because they are ISIS?

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

GuyinCognito posted:

All of them. You did it a bit for Ukraine and now you feel you don't have the time, as a live at home blogger, to examine the munitions that are in the same regional war because they are ISIS?

Or I am examining them and nothing has really stood out since the Croatian weapons turned up?

Kobold eBooks
Mar 5, 2007

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AN OPEN PALM SLAM A CARTRIDGE IN THE SUPER FAMICOM. ITS E-ZEAO AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I START DOING THE MOVES ALONGSIDE THE MAIN CHARACTER, CORPORAL FALCOM.

Hot Karl Marx posted:

Maybe stop talking to the guy who keeps saying the exact same thing no matter what evidence you bring up Hmm?

D&D literally cannot detect trolling. Just sit back and try to discuss around the argument, it'll disperse eventually.

What do you think of the latest Israel Palestine fight? Think anything will come of it given all the recent instability in the region?

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

Also, what is "live at home blogger" meant to mean? Should I move out of my house while blogging?

54.4 crowns
Apr 7, 2011

To think before you speak is like wiping your arse before you shit.

Exioce posted:

You're using the appeal to authority of guys over a millennia and a half removed from the source ("The authorities on contemporary islam are islamic scholars. A lot of them don't agree with you, Exioce"). I'm using an appeal to authority of a guy only a century removed from the source. The guy I'm using also didn't have a need to shoehorn in modern concepts and self-determination and equality into the mix. He also got tortured for his principles by not kowtowing to the ruler. Which of these authorities you are appealing to has as much credibility?

Wahab got fronted by a robber Baron in Saud fighting against the Ottoman.

You REALLY think their own nationalism and struggle had nothing to-do with its acceptance?

An amateur theologian swayed them all and the fact that it basically gave them national and religious supremacy for their cause had NOTHING todo with it?

For me, Religion is a bag of bone, but I am still qualified to distinguish between ego and faith.

Cocoa Ninja
Mar 3, 2007

Brown Moses posted:

Also, what is "live at home blogger" meant to mean? Should I move out of my house while blogging?

I only trust the homeless to bring me the latest in breaking Middle East news. It's served me well so far.

Exioce
Sep 7, 2003

by VideoGames

Fizzil posted:

This still doesn't make violence a central core tenet of Islam. Also you're using someone close to the source instead of the source himself, why?

I am struggling to see how expansionary Jihad isn't a core tenet of Islam when Muhammad himself conquered most of Arabia and then his closest companions went on to conquer a lot more outside of it, and that spoke so highly of fighting in Allah's cause (which was to expand Allah's rule on earth). I am also struggling to see why Muhammad would prophecise the conquests of Rome and Constantinople if he didn't desire and expect further conquests after his death.

This is the source itself. Imam Abu Hanifa was just putting the actions into concepts. Perhaps based on Muhammad's actions and saying you think there is a better explanation than Imam Abu Hanifa's, I'd love to hear it.

Exioce
Sep 7, 2003

by VideoGames

54.4 crowns posted:

Wahab got fronted by a robber Baron in Saud fighting against the Ottoman.

You REALLY think their own nationalism and struggle had nothing to-do with its acceptance?

An amateur theologian swayed them all and the fact that it basically gave them national and religious supremacy for their cause had NOTHING todo with it?

For me, Religion is a bag of bone, but I am still qualified to distinguish between ego and faith.

Whilst austere Wahhabism is quite similar to IS, I very much doubt IS take him as their starting point, or indeed hold him in much regard. There is a tradition in Islam that one should beware of the scholar at the gate of the ruler, and Wahhab wasn't just at Saud's gate but very much in bed with him.

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Communist Muslim ideology is inherently aggressive and out to conquer the world! They could be anywhere! Patriotic Americans must be vigilant! Anyone who questions the status quo is suspect.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

Brown Moses posted:

Blogger on the run.

• Locked thread