Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde

Das Volk posted:

I'd have the Porsche. Yank the V8, sell the hybrid system to Tesla and the dual clutch to someone who needs spares for their Panamera. Put the whole thing back with a 7 speed manual and some extra tank space. Enjoy everyone hating me for making the car slower.

I'll have what he's having.

Terrible Robot fucked around with this message at 04:10 on Jul 1, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

razorscooter
Nov 5, 2008

it's still too newfangled, find a place to stick a carb and distributor on it

Neat looking old Saab someone on campus owns

fish and chips and dip
Feb 17, 2010

Das Volk posted:

I'd have the Porsche. Yank the V8, sell the hybrid system to Tesla and the dual clutch to someone who needs spares for their Panamera. Put the whole thing back with a 7 speed manual and some extra tank space. Enjoy everyone hating me for making the car slower.

That's how the car should have been from the start. I wonder if you'd throw enough money at Porsche if they'd be willing to make you a custom manual 918? The hybrid system is probably too ingrained to do just yank out. A man can dream though... a man can dream...

Anyway content:

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Is it just me that thinks the 918 looks really loving boring (pipes aside)? The Ferrari is sharp as gently caress but still very much says Ferrari and the McLaren is just next level beautiful and also completely batshit mental. You know that everything on that car has been designed that way for a very good reason.

angryhampster
Oct 21, 2005

The 918 is delightfully German. It's not going to be outrageous, it's just straightforward and tells it like it is.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
I don't think any of them are beautiful, personally. But the P1 looks more like a space ship than the others, so that's cool.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
The P1 looks a lot more lithe in person, pictures often seem to have difficulty shedding the vibe of it having a :catdrugs: facial expression and being a little bulbous.

AlmightyPants
Mar 14, 2001

King of Scheduling
Pillbug
Having seen a P1 in person, pictures don't do it justice. It has some of the most insane little details all over it. There are tiny little aero touches all over it that most pictures miss. I haven't seen the other two in person yet, but I spent 45 minutes looking at the P1 and still finding new little things all over it. I took a bunch of pictures with my iphone and I can upload them if someone wants, but they mostly came out pretty badly.

c355n4
Jan 3, 2007

Tim O'Neil blasting up the Mt. Washington Hillclimb in an Electric car.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe
Speaking of 16-17 hour road trips. I'm probably going to be making one of those to buy this little bastard.

Aurune
Jun 17, 2006

c355n4 posted:

Tim O'Neil blasting up the Mt. Washington Hillclimb in an Electric car.

I'd be really interested to drive that car as the gas version of it has a horrible weight distribution. I wonder if the electric version is any better.

Funzo
Dec 6, 2002

veedubfreak posted:

Speaking of 16-17 hour road trips. I'm probably going to be making one of those to buy this little bastard.

A good and noble quest.

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe

veedubfreak posted:

I would change the wheels but ya that good.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

Chinatown posted:

I would change the wheels but ya that good.

Whats wrong with Fuchs? They're actually full polished but have plastidip for the black. Will be removing that. Still has drum brakes though, so I'll be using the disc brake kit I had for my project to go 4w disc with porsche pattern. Biggest kink in the plan is that my poor Golf will have to sit outside until I sell the pile of parts in the garage.

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe

veedubfreak posted:

Whats wrong with Fuchs?

Nothing. They just don't "do" it for me. Just a style thing.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Seems like a nice car, quite a gently caress up to put the doors on backwards though. :v:

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe
I described the car to my mom as "If you gave me a bug and a pile of money when I was 16, this is what I would have done to it" :)

c355n4
Jan 3, 2007

Aurune posted:

I'd be really interested to drive that car as the gas version of it has a horrible weight distribution. I wonder if the electric version is any better.

The weight distribution is much better. The battery packs are in the sidepods. The motor is pretty much on the floorpan. The driver also sits a little bit farther forward. From what I understand the CG is much lower and forward.

GramCracker
Oct 8, 2005

beauty by stroll
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6dFzgsq49R8

Turn up your volumes, the video features this:

GramCracker fucked around with this message at 17:39 on Jul 3, 2014

TWSS
Jun 19, 2008

veedubfreak posted:

little bastard.

The owner of a local welding shop has a bug that looks nearly identical to that except the interior was stripped to fit a 383, roll cage and drag suspension. Do you think the front end on yours has been stretched? Or is my perception skewed by the angle and ride height?

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

TWSS posted:

The owner of a local welding shop has a bug that looks nearly identical to that except the interior was stripped to fit a 383, roll cage and drag suspension. Do you think the front end on yours has been stretched? Or is my perception skewed by the angle and ride height?
Looks a lot more like the roof has been chopped and the front end is stock.

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

GramCracker posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6dFzgsq49R8&t=66s

Turn up your volumes, the video features this:

I never get it when people talk about how much prettier old F1 cars were compared to today. But Prototypes? yeah, I get that.

Lightbulb Out
Apr 28, 2006

slack jawed yokel

Jonny Nox posted:

I never get it when people talk about how much prettier old F1 cars were compared to today. But Prototypes? yeah, I get that.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

LOOK, MARY-ANNE! A FORMULA ONE CAR!

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

You misunderstand. I didn't say modern cars were not ugly, just that most of the old ones weren't much better. I also realize that its generally considered a wrong opinion.

Budget Monty
Jul 25, 2005

Ask me about my torrid love affair with Geico :ese:

veedubfreak posted:

Sucks about the chop top, but it is getting impossible to find a decent beetle these days.

Budget Monty
Jul 25, 2005

Ask me about my torrid love affair with Geico :ese:

Jehde posted:

Westies/Type 2s own.

Especially Vanagons.

Own what? The break down lane?

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Jonny Nox posted:

You misunderstand. I didn't say modern cars were not ugly, just that most of the old ones weren't much better. I also realize that its generally considered a wrong opinion.
I don't think old F1 cars are particularly pretty, but the sheer brute force approach they take is impressive. Fractional aerodynamic improvements are all well and good, but 50+psi of boost and four-figure bhp is just :haw:...

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

Krakkles posted:

Looks a lot more like the roof has been chopped and the front end is stock.

Stock front end with a 4 inch roof chop.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Paging kastein...

I would drive this every loving day.

freelop
Apr 28, 2013

Where we're going, we won't need fries to see

Finally got round to uploading a few snaps from Banbury Rally

This was giving rides in the back and was a lot of fun, they tilt a long way from side to side

A few classics

Wrong thread? It was made for a children's charity

No idea if Humbers are any good functionally but it would be nice to own one someday, they look classy

I think I understand the attraction of Spintires having seen these

Similar to the lorry in "A Close Shave"

The above 2 are connected, the Scammel at the front is pulling 350 tonnes

Rollin' coal

More stuff here

tobu
Aug 20, 2004

Bunny-Bee makes me happy!
Practice laps for the Townsville V8 Supercars just started about a two kilometers from where I live.

It's eight in the morning and our house is filled with the noise. It's loving awesome.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

tobu posted:

Practice laps for the Townsville V8 Supercars just started about a two kilometers from where I live.

It's eight in the morning and our house is filled with the noise. It's loving awesome.

This was one of the best things when I went to the Long Beach Grand Prix in 2012. We were staying with family maybe half a mile from the track. Got woken up by Ferraris every morning.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

That's all well and good until one mouthy douchenozzle with a friend in city hall buys a house beside the track.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire

IOwnCalculus posted:

This was one of the best things when I went to the Long Beach Grand Prix in 2012. We were staying with family maybe half a mile from the track. Got woken up by Ferraris every morning.

I miss living in LB. Could hear them from my house ~3 miles away.

jamal fucked around with this message at 00:05 on Jul 4, 2014

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

tobu posted:

I haven't been keeping up with the Bogan Taxi Racing Series this year. Good to see Whingcup is not leading the series for once.

tobu
Aug 20, 2004

Bunny-Bee makes me happy!

Powershift posted:

That's all well and good until one mouthy douchenozzle with a friend in city hall buys a house beside the track.

Luckily we have a long running history of petrol-head Mayors. It is very much the target demographic here.

You Am I posted:

I haven't been keeping up with the Bogan Taxi Racing Series this year. Good to see Whingcup is not leading the series for once.

I don't follow it much either but when its on my doorstep its hard not to get excited.

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Speaking of beetles, my brother's always been into bugs(and VW in general) and picked this one up a while ago. It apparently wouldn't idle worth a poo poo.

The carb was gunked up so all he had to do was clean that out to get it running good again.

Took him about two months, but he had it looking way better. Wasn't in good enough condition to warrant a restoration he said, so he just wanted to have fun with it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Is the fact your brother is a dog just something not mentioned in the family?