Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Ditch posted:

Akiyama beat the belt at the end of the show where that happened.

Gosh, it's almost like the ironman title is hard to keep track of or something...

Yeah the idea was the DDT owner would win the belt and retire it before there could be a 1000th champion, then he got laid out as he was giving the belts retirement speech and the belt fell on him and the belt became the 1000th champion.

I love DDT.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Today marks the five-year anniversary of Misawa's death.

RIP to one of the all-time greats :smith:

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Hijo Del Helmsley posted:

Today marks the five-year anniversary of Misawa's death.

RIP to one of the all-time greats :smith:

I'll never let go of the mental image of Misawa playing Super Robot Wars on his gameboy.

Ditch
Jul 29, 2003

Backdrop Hunger
Omori won the (vacant) Triple Crown.

All Japan only managed to fill Korakuen 2/3rds full for it.

coconono posted:

I'll never let go of the mental image of Misawa playing Super Robot Wars on his gameboy.
post or it didn't happen

Dunbar
Feb 21, 2003

Ditch posted:

God that is sad :(

I was just watching some All Japan DVDs I ordered this morning. On those DVDs from the mid 90s with recaps of an entire tour, every arena they ran was packed and the crowd was going wild for everything. Now 1300 people attend a show with a Triple Crown match on it.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Ditch posted:

post or it didn't happen

A big crowd for them!

Panama Red
Jul 30, 2003

Only in America could you find a way to earn a healthy buck and still keep your attitude on self destruct
Enuhito is reporting that YOSHI-TATSU may not return to Japan. W-1 and IGF are interested in him however

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

Panama Red posted:

Enuhito is reporting that YOSHI-TATSU may not return to Japan. W-1 and IGF are interested in him however

Dammit man, I read IGF as GFW. :(

But I guess if he shows up in W-1 he might show up in TNA?

NotQuiteQuentin
Jan 29, 2005

BIG OVER
College Slice
Dragon Gate had their double show CHAMPION GATE event over the weekend. Everyone successfully defended their belts save the Millenials dropping the Triangle Gate to Mad Blankey of Naruki Doi/Cyber Kong/Kzy. YAMATO's win against Jimmy Susumu clears his road to Kobe World 15th Anniversary Festival on 7/20. Dollars to donuts he's defending against BxB Hulk. Only match signed for Kobe World right now is Flamita defending the Brave Gate against Dragon Kid. I'm bummed that YAMATO v Susumu and Takagi/Tozawa v Kanda/Tanizaki weren't recorded for Infinity but the rest should be up on OpenTheDragonGate and DailyMotion over the next few weeks.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Ditch posted:

post or it didn't happen

The Famitsu page is gone :(

http://kotaku.com/5291846/deceased-wrestler-loved-great-video-games

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

R-TYPE? drat Misawa had good taste in shmups.

ChampRamp
Mar 29, 2010

:siren: SAVE_US.CHR :siren:

NotQuiteQuentin posted:

Dragon Gate had their double show CHAMPION GATE event over the weekend. Everyone successfully defended their belts save the Millenials dropping the Triangle Gate to Mad Blankey of Naruki Doi/Cyber Kong/Kzy. YAMATO's win against Jimmy Susumu clears his road to Kobe World 15th Anniversary Festival on 7/20. Dollars to donuts he's defending against BxB Hulk. Only match signed for Kobe World right now is Flamita defending the Brave Gate against Dragon Kid. I'm bummed that YAMATO v Susumu and Takagi/Tozawa v Kanda/Tanizaki weren't recorded for Infinity but the rest should be up on OpenTheDragonGate and DailyMotion over the next few weeks.

I assume their double show will be shown on Infinity

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

Yottsume says WNC is officially dead (then "It has not been announced yet what they will do with WNC.") and that Wrestle-1 is absorbing basically their whole roster.

https://twitter.com/puro_yottsume/status/479140523626618881

I just hope this doesn't end up with Tajiri in TNA.

Suben
Jul 1, 2007

In 1985 Dr. Strange makes a rap album.

epitasis posted:

Yottsume says WNC is officially dead (then "It has not been announced yet what they will do with WNC.") and that Wrestle-1 is absorbing basically their whole roster.

https://twitter.com/puro_yottsume/status/479140523626618881

I just hope this doesn't end up with Tajiri in TNA.

I wonder what that means for Syuri, Lin Byron/Ray and Makoto. I'd say given the working relationship with W-1, if TNA was smart (lol) they could bring them in to help make the Knockouts somewhat respectable again but he specified male roster so who knows.

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

quote:

Dave Meltzer ‏@davemeltzerWON 17m

1:30 a.m. Tuesday and Coker to Bellator and WNC to W-1 stories break within minutes.

Those feds Tajiri's involved with seem to be the only ones in Japan that ever actually close.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.

Suben posted:

I wonder what that means for Syuri, Lin Byron/Ray and Makoto. I'd say given the working relationship with W-1, if TNA was smart (lol) they could bring them in to help make the Knockouts somewhat respectable again but he specified male roster so who knows.
Tajiri's girls all got really, really good. Lin Barion was always good before, but Makoto improved leaps and bounds after training Tajiri and Shuri went from obscurity to one of the best striker-based Joshi in Japan.

All three will probably do really well as Freelance, I'm sure Kana will take care of them if Tajiri goes on to do something else.

For a while, SMASH/WNC were my favorite promotion in Japan but after payment problems started to happen and they went into obscurity (WNC not having a weekly show that was easy to find) they fell off the map and I haven't heard hardly anything about them in a long time. It's worth going back and watching some old SMASH/WNC from 2012 and 2013, though.

ChampRamp
Mar 29, 2010

Is there a Dragon Gate iPPV this week?

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

ChampRamp posted:

Is there a Dragon Gate iPPV this week?

http://www.ustream.tv/dragongate

Yeah, a Korakuen card on the third. Card's not listed on the site like they are for NJPW shows though.

Edit: Card courtesy of iheartdg.com

quote:

/2014 Tokyo, Korakuen Hall - USTREAM
0. Kenichiro Arai, Jimmy Kanda vs. Shisa BOY, Ryotsu Shimizu
1. Punch Perm contra Punch Perm ~Loser Gets Punch Perm Match: Chihiro Tominaga vs. "Mr. High Tension" Kotoka
*The loser must change their hair to a punch perm hairstyle, and return later in the show to show it to the fans
2. Cyber Kong, Kzy, Mondai Ryu vs. Don Fujii, Gamma, "Hollywood" Stalker Ichikawa
3. 3 Way Match: U-T, Yosuke♡Santa Maria vs. Dragon Kid, K-ness vs. Jimmy Kagetora, Mr. Quu Quu Tanizaki Naoki Toyonaka Dolphin
4. Masato Yoshino, Ricochet vs. Jimmy Susumu, Genki Horiguchi H.A.Gee.Mee!!
5. MONSTER EXPRESS vs. MAD BLANKEY 6 Man Tag Team Match: Akira Tozawa, Shingo Takagi, Uhaa Nation vs. T-Hawk, Eita, Flamita
6. Special Tag Match: YAMATO, Naruki Doi vs. BxB Hulk, BxB Masa (Masaaki Mochizuki)

Who are the people in the hair match? Not familar with them

Thauros fucked around with this message at 21:24 on Jul 1, 2014

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

Chihiro Tominaga is an opening match guy and Mr. High Tension is everything The Miz should be. The idea is that they are both giant losers everyone hates. Don Fuji booked the match because maybe if one of them had hair like him they wouldn't be so stupid and terrible.

Matches 4, 5, and 6 on that card should all be very very good.

oatgan fucked around with this message at 21:33 on Jul 1, 2014

ChampRamp
Mar 29, 2010

That looks like a killer show

Biosys
Aug 13, 2011
No Ricochet makes me sad, but the rest of the card looks amazing, haven't actually seen Uhaa Nation wrestle before so looking forward to that.

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

Biosys posted:

No Ricochet makes me sad, but the rest of the card looks amazing, haven't actually seen Uhaa Nation wrestle before so looking forward to that.

Biosys
Aug 13, 2011

oatgan posted:

Now I'm just sad about my inability to read, thanks.

KungFu Grip
Jun 18, 2008

Thauros posted:

http://www.ustream.tv/dragongate

Yeah, a Korakuen card on the third. Card's not listed on the site like they are for NJPW shows though.

Edit: Card courtesy of iheartdg.com

Who are the people in the hair match? Not familar with them

Wait when did the Millennials become Mad Blankey?

NotQuiteQuentin
Jan 29, 2005

BIG OVER
College Slice
Ricochet and Jimmy Susumu in the same match is so close to my current DG dream match. I have both of them in the running with Ishii as Most Outstanding. I think too many people sleep on the year that Susumu's put together.

I'm really stoked for the July that Dragon Gate's putting together. Kobe World has the potential to be the show of the year. I'm putting together a huge effort post running down the card for it.

BlueArmyMan
Mar 30, 2007
Hooloovoo

Biosys posted:

Find and watch Ricochet vs Uhaa Nation for the title. GREAT match.

Duncan Sperguson
Apr 21, 2010

NotQuiteQuentin posted:

Ricochet and Jimmy Susumu in the same match is so close to my current DG dream match. I have both of them in the running with Ishii as Most Outstanding. I think too many people sleep on the year that Susumu's put together.

I'm really stoked for the July that Dragon Gate's putting together. Kobe World has the potential to be the show of the year. I'm putting together a huge effort post running down the card for it.

I would read this effort post. Been looking for an entry point for DG stuff.

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

Duncan Sperguson posted:

I would read this effort post. Been looking for an entry point for DG stuff.

He gave a helpful summary of their current roster when I asked a couple months ago.

NotQuiteQuentin posted:

Mad Blankey is the only heel group. Their colors are red and yellow and generally have a punk vibe. YAMATO assumed leadership after Tozawa left. Main wrestlers are him, Naruki Doi and Cyber Kong.

Millenials are tweener. They formed in Mexico when they were on a learning excursion. Their gimmick is based on the Mexican roots and that all their members were born in the 90s. Their colors are green white and red. T-Hawk and Eita are the leaders with UT, Flamita and Yosuke Santa Maria being the other notables.

Veteran Army Returns are a rehash of an earlier Veteran Army that joined up with Windows MG. Their gimmick as one can guess is that they are the senior members of the roster and founders of Dragon Gate/Original members of Toryumon. They don't have a clear leader but CIMA, Masaaki Mochizuki, Don Fuji and Dragon Kid are the biggest members. They're mostly face but can act heelish

The Jimmyz need explaining. KAGETORA and Susumu Yokosuka were a tag team inside of Junction Three during the J Three v Blood Warriors angle of 2011. Their rivals were BxB Hulk and Akira Tozawa whom beat them in a title contra name match. Hulk/Tozawa thought they were the most boring members of the roster and Jimi means plain in Japanese and renamed them Jimmy Susumu and Jimmy Kagetora.This wasn't the first time Susumu lost his name. They decided to embrace it and a stable spun off of it. Currently Jimmy Kanda and Mr. Kyu Kyu Naoki Tanizaki Toyonaka Dolphin aren't getting along but they've seem to put it behind them and saved the unit (they are the oldest unit currently active in DG). Their logo is a pair of eyeglasses as all of them wear glasses.

Monster Express is the newest unit and the most face one. Their color is orange and they are based on all being best friends and being formed by members of dead units or kicked out of units. There really isn't a leader but the main native members are Akira Tozawa, Masato Yoshino and Shingo Takagi. Save Millenials they are the only unit with gaijin. Ricochet, the first gaijin Dream Gate Champion and Uhaa Nation are apart of it.

There are a couple of roster members without units but they are either part time or young boys or Stalker Ichikawa (he's kind of a member of Veteran Army but isn't really treated as one because he's Stalker.)

Hope that helps.

The main thing that's happened since then is BxB Hulk getting kicked out of Mad Blankey, turning face, and he's still independent of the main stables afaik.

NotQuiteQuentin
Jan 29, 2005

BIG OVER
College Slice
Yeah he's unitless. I thought there might have been a chance that he'd form one before Kobe but if nothing's happening tonight, I don't expect anything will until August.

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

Wow, Tanahashi's wrestling on DDT's Sumo Hall show:

quote:

Hiroshi Tanahashi was at the DDT promotion’s 6/29 show at Korakuen Hall and did an interview, talking about how he’s considered the wrestler of the century (that’s kind of his 1/100 gimmick being like he’s the best wrestler of the century) and said he would wrestle Konosuke Takeshita, who just turned 19 in May, was voted by Tokyo Sports as the 2013 Rookie of the Year and is considered a future superstar because he’s got size and reminds some of a very young Kazuchika Okada as a young guy who is tall and has great natural athletic ability. So the idea is he’ll be in a real high profile match, exposing his name out of the DDT cult fan base, by having this match on 8/17 at Sumo Hall for DDT’s biggest show of the year.

Biosys
Aug 13, 2011
Matt Sydal & CIMA vs Ricochet & Yoshino was announced for Kobe World, which should be amazing.

NotQuiteQuentin
Jan 29, 2005

BIG OVER
College Slice

Biosys posted:

Matt Sydal & CIMA vs Ricochet & Yoshino was announced for Kobe World, which should be amazing.

That should be so much fun. I hope CIMA's able to keep up. Sydal is a perfect fit as the gaijin in Veteran-Gun.

The big storyline events out of Korakuen are Mad Blankey got the win in the main event after an aided box attack by Dr. Muscle. Muscle unmasked himself as Chihiro Tominaga, whom lost the Punch Perm match. He joined Mad Blankey as Punch Tominaga, pissed off at the rest of the roster for his long term mistreatment.

Eita beat Tozawa by towel TKO after having him locked in El Número Uno. This led to a scuffle between Milennials and MX.

NotQuiteQuentin fucked around with this message at 15:21 on Jul 3, 2014

Jubs
Jul 11, 2006

Boy, I think it's about time I tell you the difference between a man and a woman. A woman isn't a woman unless she's pretty. And a man isn't a man unless he's ugly.
WTF?

Mutoh then no sells the next moonsault by spitting mist in Sanada's face, but I think he forgot the mist? Everything about the match, from beginning to end, is completely bizarre.

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...
He definitely sprays mist on the second moonsault, not sure what happened on the first since it looked like his shoulders were down for the three count.

Rags to Liches
Mar 11, 2008

future skeleton soldier

Jubs posted:

WTF?

Mutoh then no sells the next moonsault by spitting mist in Sanada's face, but I think he forgot the mist? Everything about the match, from beginning to end, is completely bizarre.

It's new Invisible Mist.

NotQuiteQuentin
Jan 29, 2005

BIG OVER
College Slice
My Dragon Gate Kobe Pro-Wrestling Festival post is turning into a monster so I think I'm going to create a thread and break up the posts/make a GDT for the iPPV. Any objections?

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

Sounds like a good way to get more eyes around here and what's sure to be one of the best shows of the year. I don't know if I'm gonna watch the whole thing live but I'm certainly going to try.

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

Yeah, a big show like that definitely deserves a thread. I'd make one if I knew the fed better.

NotQuiteQuentin
Jan 29, 2005

BIG OVER
College Slice

Thauros posted:

Yeah, a big show like that definitely deserves a thread. I'd make one if I knew the fed better.

I started the thread. I'll add preview posts/an updated unit run down over the next few days.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

Ninety-one? There are ninety other "Tiger Drivers"? Do any involve actual tigers, or driving?