Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Electric Bugaloo posted:

From the Wikipedia page you posted:

Eh, They just incorporated Aspergers into Autism in the DSM. That doesn't mean it isn't a medical term or that no doctors ever use it anymore. That same loving link says:

quote:

Many questions remain about aspects of the disorder.[8] There is doubt about whether it is distinct from high-functioning autism (HFA);[9]

That's like saying its okay to call people midgets because the accurate term they prefer now is "little people". Its actually the opposite.

Not that it matters. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Zaphod42 posted:

That's like saying its okay to call people midgets because the accurate term they prefer now is "little people". Its actually the opposite.

Not that it matters. :v:

It's not like people listen to midgets anyways. Their voices just have a hard time travelling all the way up to normal people's ears.

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Zaphod42 posted:

Eh, They just incorporated Aspergers into Autism in the DSM. That doesn't mean it isn't a medical term or that no doctors ever use it anymore. That same loving link says:

A person with aspergers obsessively editing a Wikipedia page to push their petty agenda? :monocle:

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

...of SCIENCE! posted:

A person with aspergers obsessively editing a Wikipedia page to push their petty agenda? :monocle:

Please, the sensitive term is "a sperglord".

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood
Aspergers is an outdated term for high-functioning autism, same way that "idiot" used to mean mute. The conditions never would have been split were it not for Johan Tiberius Aspergers being a self-centered egomaniac, but that's neither here nor there.

Oh no you guys! Looks like Brooklyn won't be getting their vegan organic free-range juice bar crepiery apothecary bakery after all! OH NO. Lord only knows how they intended to accomplish anything on their budget but I suppose that's no longer relevant.

Drunk Tomato
Apr 23, 2010

If God wanted us sober,
He'd knock the glass over.

PHIZ KALIFA posted:

Aspergers is an outdated term for high-functioning autism, same way that "idiot" used to mean mute. The conditions never would have been split were it not for Johan Tiberius Aspergers being a self-centered egomaniac, but that's neither here nor there.

It's confusing to me that someone would willingly name a mental disorder after their own last name. Like, his kids are pretty much forced to have a different last name now...

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe
What budget?

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood

Drunk Tomato posted:

It's confusing to me that someone would willingly name a mental disorder after their own last name. Like, his kids are pretty much forced to have a different last name now...

Social Scientists do not have children, they have subjects. :colbert:

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Drunk Tomato posted:

Well, he was a Sperg.

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice
Spergs spergin' 'bout spergs.

On topic: A group of people I helped make a film with have now done not one, but two separate Kickstarter projects for their latest film.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1500620446/courage-of-two

Here's the original kickstarter that barely made it's funding.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1500620446/courage-of-two-post-production

And here's the second, where they're asking for a lot more this time.

What are people's positions of doing multiple kickstarters for one project? On one hand it makes a lot of sense for things like film to do these things in stages yet I feel like that wasn't what Kickstarter was made for. Because when you think about it, you're probably giving them more money than you were going to if they had only one project.

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
The second Kickstarter for Beast's Fury got funded so you can look forward to them showing up in a year asking for even more money.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Hitlers Gay Secret posted:

Spergs spergin' 'bout spergs.

On topic: A group of people I helped make a film with have now done not one, but two separate Kickstarter projects for their latest film.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1500620446/courage-of-two

Here's the original kickstarter that barely made it's funding.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1500620446/courage-of-two-post-production

And here's the second, where they're asking for a lot more this time.

What are people's positions of doing multiple kickstarters for one project? On one hand it makes a lot of sense for things like film to do these things in stages yet I feel like that wasn't what Kickstarter was made for. Because when you think about it, you're probably giving them more money than you were going to if they had only one project.

dumb as hell

sell both the kids as a stretch goal
its post production so nbd you dont need em

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

...of SCIENCE! posted:

The second Kickstarter for Beast's Fury got funded so you can look forward to them showing up in a year asking for even more money.

Ugh those move names are so terrible

"Dragone" ??

Tiamat Knuckle and GIGA TIAMAT KNUCKLE and ...

Saw-shark redemption. WHAT.

The animation seems pretty high quality, but the lines are also jittering all over the place.

Bleh its just a lovely furry fighting Bloody Roar knockoff, why did I even bother reading the page...

ThatPazuzu
Sep 8, 2011

I'm so depressed, I can't even blink.

PHIZ KALIFA posted:

Johan Tiberius Aspergers

That person does not exist.

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

...of SCIENCE! posted:

that shark is wasted on that game

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood

ThatPazuzu posted:

That person does not exist.

Oh no poo poo? Thanks for the heads up! I never would have noticed otherwise.

SSJ Reeko
Nov 4, 2009

Zaphod42 posted:

Saw-shark redemption. WHAT.

That's fantastic, this game's good in my book.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
Introducing Paul, the new sexually charged way to charge your phone

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/justincrowe/paul-the-sexiest-smartphone-charger-on-the-planet/

butt plugs will never be the same

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.
^^^^^^^^ Awful Kickstarters Vol III: Butt Plugs Will Never Be the Same

Drunk Tomato posted:

Or others do it for them, like Lou Gehrig?

...of SCIENCE! posted:

It's good to see that at least one of the Street Sharks was able to go on to become a respectable business...shark. Shame he's working with furries. The animation outline for them further down isn't bad. At least the animator's going to get paid now.

unpacked robinhood
Feb 18, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Drunk Tomato posted:

I think it's more "scientist comes up with new disorder, calls it 'sudden black baby syndrome', scientist has funny name so disorder is now called by the name of the guy"

e: that's what happened with parkinsons apparently

unpacked robinhood has a new favorite as of 08:29 on Jul 3, 2014

canis minor
May 4, 2011

Alan Smithee posted:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/justincrowe/paul-the-sexiest-smartphone-charger-on-the-planet/

This is so over the top that I can't belive it's real.

C'mon (from the kickstarter page) https://s3.amazonaws.com/ksr/assets/002/168/835/dc8d8acc5ff009cbfaad96a5a8056383_large.gif?1403207684

ShaunO
Jan 29, 2006

Alan Smithee posted:

:eyepop: uhhhhhh ... :vince:

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

eithedog posted:

The prototype was an art installation and the creator's previous Kickstarter was a wanky 'meme' project (and was only successful thanks to some suspiciously large last minute pledges) so there's a chance this might be a smug hoax project but there's also every chance that it could be a genuine attempt to put the homoerotic iPod charger into production.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

eithedog posted:

C'mon (from the kickstarter page) https://s3.amazonaws.com/ksr/assets/002/168/835/dc8d8acc5ff009cbfaad96a5a8056383_large.gif?1403207684

Could it be some sublime commentary on objectification of women through subversion? I am lost.

Melondog
Oct 9, 2006

:yeshaha:
So I'm reasonably certain the KS for this was covered ages ago in this very thread, with a plethora of links on why the whole thing was clearly impossible and a sham.

But that hasn't stopped that bastion of truth and factual integrity the Seattle Times from publishing an article about it!

http://seattletimes.com/html/nationworld/2023980586_apxisraelmoleculescanner.html

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008

eithedog posted:

It's so obviously a wanky art student's project.

lolasaurusrex
Feb 8, 2013

Hitlers Gay Secret posted:

What are people's positions of doing multiple kickstarters for one project?

It's way less bad when the finished project turns out to be good. There was that iOS/Android game Star Command that did it. Most people were pretty chill about it to begin with but when the app came out and it turned out to not be as great as the pitch suggested folk got pretty mad about it.

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood

A Fancy 400 lbs posted:

It's so obviously a wanky art student's project.

What tipped you off, was it the white guy dreads or the "i have opinions about the Mountain Goats" phone-licker in the promo video?

Yeah though this is an art project, I'm surprised more of you can't smell the patchouli from here.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Haha I fooled you with my art

*ironically takes your money and buys weed*

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012
That guy is the worst because he's competent enough as an artist to realize his ideas but all of his ideas are terrible.

Drunk Tomato
Apr 23, 2010

If God wanted us sober,
He'd knock the glass over.

Segmentation Fox posted:

So I'm reasonably certain the KS for this was covered ages ago in this very thread, with a plethora of links on why the whole thing was clearly impossible and a sham.

But that hasn't stopped that bastion of truth and factual integrity the Seattle Times from publishing an article about it!

http://seattletimes.com/html/nationworld/2023980586_apxisraelmoleculescanner.html

I remember back in the day when I thought the Seattle Times was a good news source.

But then I turned twelve

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

Potato salad:
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/324283889/potato-salad/

backers
$220
pledged of $10 goal

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

This and the Chipotle KS. I feel like there's an emerging market for micro irony crowdfunding, or "Microwny funding". It's like microlending except for 1st world twats and 0% interest

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

Your plastic pal who's fun to be with!

in a situation like that, how much legal obligation is there for them to distribute the finished product?

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

Excels posted:

in a situation like that, how much legal obligation is there for them to distribute the finished product?

It's on Kickstarter, so none.

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

A Serious Candidate For a Serious Time
I get the impression you have to be in the guy's kitchen at the time of the potato salad's creation to get the bite of potato salad award.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Germstore posted:

I get the impression you have to be in the guy's kitchen at the time of the potato salad's creation to get the bite of potato salad award.

Considering the history of food-based kickstarters this is probably the best thing about the project.

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

This is literally the best thing ever.
479 of 10 dollars pledged.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Michaellaneous posted:

This is literally the best thing ever.
479 of 10 dollars pledged.

People giving a guy $500 for doing something mildly inane is pretty funny, yes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

Your plastic pal who's fun to be with!

this is modern art

e: $500 :downsrim:

Excels has a new favorite as of 17:00 on Jul 4, 2014