Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
mmj
Dec 22, 2006

I've always been a bit confrontational

Hollismason posted:

This is the only correct Answer for a wolf flyer unit. A Wolf w/ wings and a assault cannon instead of a penis that is being ridden by a 13th Company Warrior is the only suitable model.

Yeah but will the assault cannon have an anatomically correct sheath?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Everything's gonna be A-OK
Oven Wrangler

Ghost Hand posted:

Both of these Codexes are fine. The real problem is the Eldar codex.

the tyranid codex locked me in a horrible sex dungeon for fourteen years and now after escaping the only joy I can receive in life is from repeatedly making GBS threads up the something awful dot com warhammer thread every day with my inane bullshit about how GW only lets good guy armies like necrons and chaos daemons have good codexes

Von Humboldt
Jan 13, 2009

mmj posted:

Yeah but will the assault cannon have an anatomically correct sheath?
Only if it makes Bikers troops.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

krushgroove posted:

You wouldn't have gotten a commission, though, would you? I can't imagine any game/comic/card shop would pay commission.
I wouldn't, but the guy who got the job was (and is) a dude who has no idea what he's selling, doesn't know anything about the area around the store, is terrified to talk to people, and generally watches Farscape on the store's tiny TV and walks around the store barefoot. I don't know if that's in violation of something but it seems gross to me.

AbusePuppy
Nov 1, 2012

BEST DAY OF MY LIFE!!!!!! so far.

Von Humboldt posted:

Anyone have advice on running Deathwing? I go into this knowing that it is far from the most effective army, and that I'm pretty much just going to scoop to about half of the local lists. However, I picked up around 2k points of Terminators and Deathwing Knights for like $40 (besides scoring 500 points worth of Tau, 10 old starter DE, an old metal Juggernaut of Khorne, and a busted rear end Dreadnought,) so I'm not going to be bothered if I die over and over. Terminators are cool, and I always wanted to play DA even if they are bad. Basically, what's the best way to squeeze something mildly effective out of Deathwing?

My advice would be to run Belial, one or two Ravenwing squads to bring dudes in with zero scatter, and then as many units of Deathwing as you can fit. Assault Cannon is probably your go-to heavy weapon, although an argument can be made for Plasma Cannons on some squads I think. Avoid taking any melee upgrades, as they aren't really worth the shooting you give up- you need to hit the enemy as hard as you can as early as you can in order to make things work. Remember you can start with zero models on the board if you want to now. Allying in an Inquisitor in place of the Ravenwing in order to get Servo-Skulls is arguably a better idea, although that leaves the awkward question of where to put the Inquistor (as Deathwing Assault works only if ALL models in a squad have it.)

Ghost Hand posted:

Both of these Codexes are fine. The real problem is the Eldar codex.

Really, the problem is Wave Serpents. Everything else in the book is fine. I would still say the Tyranid book is pretty poorly-designed; it has one strong build (Skyblight) and most everything else in there is pretty garbage for anything resembling competitive play. Orks... it remains to be seen. There's definitely things that are obnoxious, but they have some solid units and abilities that may be good enough to craft an army out of. It will also depend on how the 7E meta shapes up, as that still is pretty up in the air.

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look

SRM posted:

I wouldn't, but the guy who got the job was (and is) a dude who has no idea what he's selling, doesn't know anything about the area around the store, is terrified to talk to people, and generally watches Farscape on the store's tiny TV and walks around the store barefoot. I don't know if that's in violation of something but it seems gross to me.

Having done a bit of work with RC model shops (that's the industry I work in) and worked for a summer in a couple of different comic book/game shops, I still remain convinced I could make a retail business work. And I HATE retail work.

Post 9-11 User
Apr 14, 2010

DJ Dizzy posted:

Where do you live? I have a loving shitton of cadian bits you can have if its feasible to send.

Michigan, USA. I can even send you some funny money once my tax return comes in. :tipshat:

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH
On reflection, I'd say the Ork codex, like the ones before it, is actually pretty fair and balanced. A number of different styles are supported, with equal effectiveness, and there are very few 'trap' units.

If it was in an entirely different game, there wouldn't be any problem. Instead, it's a horde army in a game where you can score victory points by destroying multiple units, and most other factions favour small, elite squads.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!
Warhammer 40k - If it was an entirely different game, there wouldn't be any problem

Moola
Aug 16, 2006
Yeah 40k would be great if it wasn't terrible.

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Elfface posted:

On reflection, I'd say the Ork codex, like the ones before it, is actually pretty fair and balanced. A number of different styles are supported, with equal effectiveness, and there are very few 'trap' units.

If it was in an entirely different game, there wouldn't be any problem. Instead, it's a horde army in a game where you can score victory points by destroying multiple units, and most other factions favour small, elite squads.

I think my problem is that I haven't embraced the boys before toys mantra. I always ALWAYS had something else in the troop slot (nobs, bikes, etc), and while it's a little less important in 7th I think the changes to the HQ slot means I want to try running 6 troops for the 6 HQ slots. 2 trukk boys and a mob of 20 shootas is just not enough anymore, even though fast-attack rokkits and mek guns got cheaper and better.

AbusePuppy
Nov 1, 2012

The "special" Ork FOC is a trap. It's not even close to worth giving up Objective Secured for.

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP
The Nid codex, without any of the dataslates, really isn't up to scratch. It's only the dataslates that really make it ok.

Esser-Z
Jun 3, 2012

AbusePuppy posted:

The "special" Ork FOC is a trap. It's not even close to worth giving up Objective Secured for.

That was my impression, yeah. Fortuantely, ork troops are pretty cheap, so it's not too hard to get an extra Combined Arms Detachment if you want, as we discussed earlier with the BUGGY RUSH.

AbusePuppy
Nov 1, 2012

Yeah, if you're playing with limited detachments then maybe you might have a reason to take it, but straight from the book it's really a "why bother?" kind of thing. One extra HQ and three extra troops? No thanks, I'll take a second Combined Arms detachment and get two HQs, six troops, and three of every other slot instead.

Esser-Z
Jun 3, 2012

On that note, I hope somebody does the new Codex for BattleScribe soon. I want to start working on Ork lists, but I don't really want to do it by hand. :v:

CyberLord XP
Oct 18, 2005

Goldie...She says her name is Goldie

AbusePuppy posted:

Unless you get that magic warlord roll of a 1 and then suddenly you entire army is fearless after turn 1.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

BULBASAUR posted:

GWs attack against bits has had an interesting side effect for me- since they cost more and there is less competition, I'm constantly flipping bits on ebay and making money.

What bits are selling, and how do you package them? I have a million bits I'm never going to use, and I could always use more money.

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Hero of hormagaunts everywhere!
Buglord

Lungboy posted:

The Nid codex, without any of the dataslates, really isn't up to scratch. It's only the dataslates that really make it ok.

I've had a good amount of fun and have been pretty successful with the codex over time, but I the dataslates really do give Tyranid the boost that they need. They're still not top-tier, but at least they're not unfun/poo poo despite the insane number of FMC nerfs and continued lack of good assault rules in 7th Edition. Exocrines always make their points back (I really need to get more of those) and are one of the bright spots in an otherwise mediocre codex.

I'm assembling ten more Gargoyles at my desk right now so I can finally start running Skyblight like everyone else. :confuoot:

PierreTheMime fucked around with this message at 12:56 on Jul 3, 2014

HiveCommander
Jun 19, 2012

I'd call you a terrible person, but Daemonfactory players exist :v:

At least Skyblight shits on Codex: Two loving models :toot:

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
FEEL FREE TO DISREGARD THIS POST

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.
Daemonfactory isn't as good as Skyblight, seriously I've played it a bunch it's not like amazingly awesome. It does kick the crap out of Seerstar though.

It's really super fun, but I doubt anyone would ever consider it a actual real tournament build because if your opponent wants to and you try to move fast during the Psychic Phase , they can just go nope explain to me what's going on etc..

It's time consuming.

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

:wrongcity:
New Space Wolf flyer rumors confirmed:

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Buglord

Kaysette posted:

New Space Wolf flyer rumors confirmed:

This news/gif is really making me want to model a crazed Tzeentchian ice-based sorcerer.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

AbusePuppy posted:

Yeah, if you're playing with limited detachments then maybe you might have a reason to take it, but straight from the book it's really a "why bother?" kind of thing. One extra HQ and three extra troops? No thanks, I'll take a second Combined Arms detachment and get two HQs, six troops, and three of every other slot instead.

I really think GW killed the different FOCs before they even started to roll them out. If things were more limited like in 6th (one primary, one allied, etc.) then you might actually have people weighing them as possible options. But working off of the Ork example, who needs 9 troops? The chance at Hammer of Wrath has the potential to be cool, can it be worth giving up Objective Secured? Most players would still end up going with the standard FOC even if they were limited to just one primary detachment. To be fair, this is the only altered FOC available right now so who knows what'll come in the next codex.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
If SW had a flyer that was just a wolfs head with wings I'd use 3 of them all the time.

At least with them, their whole range is plastic for the most part. Maybe they'll get a plastic wolf priest or rune priest.

The only major change I could see to the army list would be to make lone wolves not count for force org, and the vows getting tweaked, like giving them point values.

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Buglord
I can't wait to choose between shooting Wolffang or Wargwolf missiles. They better include optional tail bitz to put on all the missiles you can model. :3:

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
Since there's a bit of talk about the Tyranid dataslates:
is Skyblight really the *only* 'competitive' formation?
what's the most fun formation? I'm leaning towards Endless Swarm because that's the only one I've heard of before (not having played Nids before 7E)
what's the most fun mission?
what's the most balanced mission?

Exinos
Mar 1, 2009

OSHA approved squiq

PierreTheMime posted:

I can't wait to choose between shooting Wolffang or Wargwolf missiles. They better include optional tail bitz to put on all the missiles you can model. :3:

The Wolffang Missile has a topknot.

TKIY
Nov 6, 2012
Grimey Drawer

Moon Moon.

TKIY
Nov 6, 2012
Grimey Drawer

krushgroove posted:

Since there's a bit of talk about the Tyranid dataslates:
is Skyblight really the *only* 'competitive' formation?

I think the Living Artillery Node is decent, and I think you could make the Manufactorum Genestealers work in a competitive list.

Master Twig
Oct 25, 2007

I want to branch out and I'm going to stick with it.
Where I made skyblight swarm really shine was throwing in a Trygon Prime.

When the gargoyles used their endless swarm ability, they can arrive from its tunnel instead of your board edge. This is insanely useful.

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
Do you mean endless swarm in your first sentence?

TKIY posted:

I think the Living Artillery Node is decent, and I think you could make the Manufactorum Genestealers work in a competitive list.

I lucked out and bought 12 Warrior models for £30 I think from a guy selling them in lots of 3 on ebay, so I have tons of Warrior models to use for the various formations.

Plus I just got my Harpy/Crone today! I'll magnetize it to use either way but IIRC there's one that's the go-to for everyone.

And I have to figure out how to deploy & position Exocrines correctly...they have the same range as Vindicators but since I've never used one I'm not familiar with them.

Proletariat Beowulf
Jan 7, 2007
I wish meat screamed as I ate it.
I'm really dying to play a game before any Ork dataslates come out, if for no other reason than to see if new Mob Rule really is as crippling as it appears. I already scoop up shovels-full of boyz every game I play (nearly always with 2 30-boy mobs), so losing 1/2 d6 more every time they take a morale or pinning test will just seem familiar, even if it stings a bit more. What I truly can't get over is losing fearless, especially given how fluffy it was. We went from:

:orks: "OI, LOOKIT DAT 'UGE DEMON FING! LET'S TAKE ITS 'ORNS FER DA BOSS!" to
:( "No, it's scary! So are explosions!" :derp:

Fearless until the mob was beneath 10 models always manifested in my head as the change from "WE'RE INVINCIBLE!" to the sudden realization that, if only for the moment, the boyz weren't the biggest, baddest bunch of motherfuckers strutting around the galaxy. Can't say I'm looking forward to shaking in my WS1 boots.

Slab Squatthrust
Jun 3, 2008

This is mutiny!

Proletariat Beowulf posted:

I'm really dying to play a game before any Ork dataslates come out, if for no other reason than to see if new Mob Rule really is as crippling as it appears. I already scoop up shovels-full of boyz every game I play (nearly always with 2 30-boy mobs), so losing 1/2 d6 more every time they take a morale or pinning test will just seem familiar, even if it stings a bit more. What I truly can't get over is losing fearless, especially given how fluffy it was. We went from:

:orks: "OI, LOOKIT DAT 'UGE DEMON FING! LET'S TAKE ITS 'ORNS FER DA BOSS!" to
:( "No, it's scary! So are explosions!" :derp:

Fearless until the mob was beneath 10 models always manifested in my head as the change from "WE'RE INVINCIBLE!" to the sudden realization that, if only for the moment, the boyz weren't the biggest, baddest bunch of motherfuckers strutting around the galaxy. Can't say I'm looking forward to shaking in my WS1 boots.

What's gonna suck even more than losing d6 orks, is when you fail your Ld 7 on a mob of 30 that lost 8, and roll a 1 on the mob rule chart, and watch the unit run off the table. Is regrouping a morale test? If you fail to regroup would you have to roll on the mob rule chart?

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

AbusePuppy posted:

Oooooh, I think I get how the detachments are laid out now. Man that sucks; why even bother with the ork one? A handful of S3 hits that occur <50% of the time aren't worth it. I guess if you are playing a single detachment list you might go for it for the extra HQ/troops, but even then it seems like a weak gimmicky list. If an event limits the detachments I'm going to assume that it will limit the codex ones as well (otherwise all knights might be a spoiler).

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Buglord
First of 30+ Skyblight Gargoyles started. Going to shoot for two a day to grind them out while desk jockeying.

xtothez
Jan 4, 2004

College Slice

krushgroove posted:

I lucked out and bought 12 Warrior models for £30 I think from a guy selling them in lots of 3 on ebay, so I have tons of Warrior models to use for the various formations.

The best part about the new Warrior box is that everyone started offloading loads of the old ones on ebay. I finally got around to working through the box of Warriors I picked up from there a couple months ago, all needing various degrees of clean up. After assembly I'm now in the process of painting 9 Warriors and 6 Shrikes. There's also extra 4 bodies that either have to be stripped, or need replacement bits I don't have. All in addition to the 10 Warriors and 2 Primes I already have painted up.

It's such a shame that Warriors are so mediocre rules-wise, because they really do look awesome en mass. I'm very tempted to run a force with just using Synaptic Swarm + Bio-blast Node + Wrecker Node. Nothing but Warriors and Fexes.

TKIY
Nov 6, 2012
Grimey Drawer

krushgroove posted:

And I have to figure out how to deploy & position Exocrines correctly...they have the same range as Vindicators but since I've never used one I'm not familiar with them.

Exocrines are really great if you can deal with the range limitation. In my last (apocalypse) game, two of them completely wiped a unit of ten Deepstriking Termies + Chapter Master and then glanced down a Stormraven. They accounted for something like 900pts off the table in two turns of shooting.

Post 9-11 User
Apr 14, 2010

PierreTheMime posted:

First of 30+ Skyblight Gargoyles started. Going to shoot for two a day to grind them out while desk jockeying.

RIP PierreTheMime, he tried to paint 30 Gargoyles in loving detail in one day and died. Unconfirmed reports that, "I shall paint the UNDERSIDES, too, even though you can't see them!" were scrawled on the walls in his own blood.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OB_Juan
Nov 24, 2004

Not every day is a good day.

Dinosaur Gum
Probably not the craziest thing written on the walls there.

• Locked thread