Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jonah Galtberg
Feb 11, 2009

Fruity Gordo posted:

Thinking I'm great automatically makes someone decent FYI.

Are you saying....... you'd have a beer with him?

Amethyst posted:

All of the labor voters I know are in constant sincere apology mode.

All of the Labor voters I know are in constant smug "the Greens will never get anything done" mode.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fruity Gordo
Aug 5, 2013

Neurotic, Impotent Rage!
A good rusted on labor mate of mine who works for doug Cameron is in severe denial and very very angry that I'm a member of the greens. Last time we had a political discussion he straight up and left the party we were at because he got so angry at me calling him out.

Fruity Gordo
Aug 5, 2013

Neurotic, Impotent Rage!

Jonah Galtberg posted:

Are you saying....... you'd have a beer with him?

gently caress yeah, especially if he's buying.

Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe
What did you call him out for, particularly?

Fruity Gordo
Aug 5, 2013

Neurotic, Impotent Rage!

Shadeoses posted:

What did you call him out for, particularly?

Concentration camps and him calling the ALP a workers party.

Gough Suppressant
Nov 14, 2008

Jonah Galtberg posted:

All of the Labor voters I know are in constant smug "the Greens will never get anything done" mode.

Jonah Galtberg
Feb 11, 2009

Fruity Gordo posted:

Concentration camps and him calling the ALP a workers party.

Spike his drink with arsenic.

Drugs
Jul 16, 2010

I don't like people who take drugs. Customs agents, for example - Albert Einstein
"pfft dumb greens children think they can play politics with the big boys without jettisoning every single one of their values in the pursuit of votes from people who breath through their mouths"

Nuclear Spy
Jun 10, 2008

feeling under?

Jonah Galtberg posted:

Fruity Gordo
Aug 5, 2013

Neurotic, Impotent Rage!
He's a bloody lovely guy but he's one of the 'reform the party from the inside' people. He acknowledges that the policies are poo poo but thinks that I'm a complete turncoat from the labour movement because I'm a Green because THE ONLY WORKERS PARTY IS THE LABOR PARTY AND IF ALL THE LEFTISTS WHO JOINED THE GREENS JOINED LABOR THEN WE COULD REMAKE THE COUNTRYIN THE GLORIOUS IMAGE OF LENIN. Poor idiot.

Fruity Gordo
Aug 5, 2013

Neurotic, Impotent Rage!

Jonah Galtberg
Feb 11, 2009

:eyepop:

Fruity Gordo
Aug 5, 2013

Neurotic, Impotent Rage!
Young Labor Left are essentially the reason why Mao wrote 'Combat Liberalism'.

Vladimir Poutine
Aug 13, 2012
:madmax:

Fruity Gordo posted:

He's a bloody lovely guy but he's one of the 'reform the party from the inside' people. He acknowledges that the policies are poo poo but thinks that I'm a complete turncoat from the labour movement because I'm a Green because THE ONLY WORKERS PARTY IS THE LABOR PARTY AND IF ALL THE LEFTISTS WHO JOINED THE GREENS JOINED LABOR THEN WE COULD REMAKE THE COUNTRYIN THE GLORIOUS IMAGE OF LENIN. Poor idiot.

He knows that preferential voting is a thing that exists right?

Fruity Gordo
Aug 5, 2013

Neurotic, Impotent Rage!
He also knows he's dead wrong, ineffectual and complicit in the promotion of human rights abusers but it hasn't stopped him yet.

Seagull
Oct 9, 2012

give me a chip

New OP image.

Jonah Galtberg
Feb 11, 2009

Fruity Gordo posted:

He also knows he's dead wrong, ineffectual and complicit in the promotion of human rights abusers but it hasn't stopped him yet.

but you'd...... have a beer with him though

Foreman Domai
Apr 2, 2010

"In one dimension I find existence, in two I find life, but in three, I find freedom."

I've been looking for this since forever. I'm glad someone saved it.

Also, it needs to be in every OP from now on.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Nuclear Spy posted:

In other news, this email response from Liberal MP Andrew Laming is doing the rounds online:

Holy poo poo Laming's email signature. That would force any Android owner over to an iPhone

Jonah Galtberg
Feb 11, 2009

My favourite part is the spellcheck underlining Laming's grammar fuckup in silent disapproval

Nuclear Spy
Jun 10, 2008

feeling under?

Pandemic Diagram posted:

I've been looking for this since forever. I'm glad someone saved it.

Also, it needs to be in every OP from now on.
I was also looking for this for ages and I was worried after the forums went down that it was lost forever, but someone posted it in on IRC and I just had to save it for future reference. Still need to dig in archives for the dolphin and pepperspray MS Paint that someone did.

You Am I posted:

Holy poo poo Laming's email signature. That would force any Android owner over to an iPhone
*Insert reference to global warming*

Fruity Gordo
Aug 5, 2013

Neurotic, Impotent Rage!

Jonah Galtberg posted:

but you'd...... have a beer with him though

I have repeatedly smashed him at Goon of Fortune

Jonah Galtberg
Feb 11, 2009

Fruity Gordo posted:

sheesh, and I thought Beerio Kart was rough

fliptophead
Oct 2, 2006
Can all of you in NSW support me in writing to Energy Australia asking them to make a commitment to the obvious lie of how much the carbon tax is contributing to the power bill? They make a big deal in red writing about how IPART (NB the supposed independent pricing tribunal) estimates the increased cost of carbon tax to you, the consumer, on top of your regular bill. There is a % and $ quoted which is obvious horseshit and I've asked them to make a firm commitment on the actual reduction in cost when (not if) the carbon tax is wound back but so far no response. I also pointed out that the bill is sent in full color which might be contributing to the cost but hey... Is this some form of false or misleading advertising on either energy Australia or NSW governments front?
This propaganda pisses me off. There's no alternative except switching off the power but like that's gonna happen.

Mattjpwns
Dec 14, 2006

In joyful strains then let us sing
ADVANCE AUSTRALIA FUCKED

Fruity Gordo posted:

Jonah Galtberg posted:

sheesh, and I thought Beerio Kart was rough

I love you Auspol.

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

fliptophead posted:

Can all of you in NSW support me in writing to Energy Australia asking them to make a commitment to the obvious lie of how much the carbon tax is contributing to the power bill? They make a big deal in red writing about how IPART (NB the supposed independent pricing tribunal) estimates the increased cost of carbon tax to you, the consumer, on top of your regular bill. There is a % and $ quoted which is obvious horseshit and I've asked them to make a firm commitment on the actual reduction in cost when (not if) the carbon tax is wound back but so far no response. I also pointed out that the bill is sent in full color which might be contributing to the cost but hey... Is this some form of false or misleading advertising on either energy Australia or NSW governments front?
This propaganda pisses me off. There's no alternative except switching off the power but like that's gonna happen.

I got a letter recently congratulating themselves that the carbon tax is being repealed and that the prices are coming down. They have a big grid of numbers to confuse 90% of the population; it's something in the vicinity of half a cent a kWh. Or around $25/year for a two person home in my area. But hey, its too hard to print that on the bill, so they'll just give you a price chart and hope you'll think your getting a bargain.

fliptophead
Oct 2, 2006

Tokamak posted:

I got a letter recently congratulating themselves that the carbon tax is being repealed and that the prices are coming down. They have a big grid of numbers to confuse 90% of the population; it's something in the vicinity of half a cent a kWh. Or around $25/year for a two person home in my area. But hey, its too hard to print that on the bill, so they'll just give you a price chart and hope you'll think your getting a bargain.

Good lord they're arseholes. It's not even that hard.... It's more the fact that the actual cost is negligible at best and they want you to feel like they did something other than jack the price up for no reason. The sooner I can afford to switch to full solar the better.

Stoca Zola
Jun 28, 2008

Quantum Mechanic posted:

In some uncharacteristically not-poo poo news, Alinta Energy have concluded that a Concentrating Solar Thermal plant is technologically feasible for replacing the coal-fired stations at Port Augusta, and less risky than a hybrid fuel plant.

It's really pleasing that we're a little closer to this happening. When I was at Uni in the 90s we collected data from the BOM's solar monitoring instrument at the local airport weather station, to build a case for solar thermal in the area. One of the lecturers was a real activist about it, he brought in scientists to talk to the public about the potential but the town council seemed reluctant even though the technology was proven at pilot plants, conversion efficiency much higher than photo-voltaic and the solar data showed we have ideal weather here.

Eventually at some point the Whyalla Solar Oasis Consortium formed and got the go-ahead to start building solar dishes here using the Big Dish design. They applied for grant money and got started on building, but then funding got pulled leaving a messy debt.

The abandoned remains of the frame of a dish are still tantalisingly visible from the road as you leave town, a taunting reminder of what might have been.

I wrote a submission for the Parliametary Select Committee back in 2012 when they were looking for community input and have been following the Repower Pt Augusta Alliance's efforts, if it can't happen in my town I am glad it might still go ahead somewhere else. It's very frustrating though that people have been banging on about it for decades and progress is so slow.

Gough Suppressant
Nov 14, 2008

Fruity Gordo posted:

I thought you were cool then it turns out you're an apologist for dickheads like this

Jonah Galtberg
Feb 11, 2009

HOpefully it's one of those things where politics doesn't come up very often

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

I CANNOT HELP BUT MAKE THE DCSS THREAD A FETID SWAMP OF UNFUN POSTING
plz notice me trunk-senpai
Racist train lady is now a bona fide media sensation.

http://news.ninemsn.com.au/national/2014/07/03/12/18/racist-sydney-train-rant-woman-apologises-to-innocent-victim

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

fliptophead posted:

Good lord they're arseholes. It's not even that hard.... It's more the fact that the actual cost is negligible at best and they want you to feel like they did something other than jack the price up for no reason. The sooner I can afford to switch to full solar the better.

Having a look at it again, it might be a little more than $25 (but not too much more) and nothing like the hundreds of dollars Abbott and co. were spouting.

I've gone and fished it out of the recycling for you:

- Energy Australia

A whopping 0.6 cents for the first 1000 kWh/quarter (Note: 2 people use an average of 1250 kWh/Quarter [including offpeak]). Then you add a couple of cents a day for availability and you get...
Good luck figuring it out!

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

This is a sad day for free speech.

Mr Chips
Jun 27, 2007
Whose arse do I have to blow smoke up to get rid of this baby?

Tokamak posted:

Note: 2 people use an average of 1250 kWh/Quarter [including offpeak].

I'd love to know where they pull these figures from. Q1 2013 my partner and I used 700kwh in SA, including running AC and my stupid cisco home lab

Mr Chips fucked around with this message at 15:45 on Jul 3, 2014

Fruity Gordo
Aug 5, 2013

Neurotic, Impotent Rage!

Gough Suppressant posted:

I thought you were cool then it turns out you're an apologist for dickheads like this

If I dumped every one of my friends and family who were sexist, racist, classist, queerphobic, ableist or otherwise hosed in the head I would be living an exceptionally lonely existence, and I think that if I were that rigid I would be a hypocrite because I can be racist, classist and ableist and hosed in the head myself.

Smegmatron
Apr 23, 2003

I hate to advocate emptyquoting or shitposting to anyone, but they've always worked for me.

There's a gallery at the bottom of the article with 8 other race-related public transport outbursts.

Australia does not have a race problem.

P.S gently caress bus drivers who just ignore this poo poo while it escalates into an assault, and then continue to ignore it.

Smegmatron fucked around with this message at 16:11 on Jul 3, 2014

Gough Suppressant
Nov 14, 2008
i'll be your friend fruity :shobon:

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Nibbles141 posted:

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2014/jul/03/revealed-coalition-to-use-national-interest-test-to-deny-permanent-protection-visas?CMP=soc_567

quote:

The Abbott government has decided to use a new “national interest test” to deny permanent protection visas to refugees who have arrived “illegally” by boat or plane in an attempt to circumvent its stunning loss in the high court last month and implement its policy to refuse permanent settlement to all boat arrivals.

The extraordinary move – revealed by the government to stakeholders on Thursday – says immigration minister Scott Morrison will personally decide the new “national interest test”, which will take into account whether giving a permanent visa would:

Provide a product for people smugglers to market now or in the future, when it is in Australia’s national interest to combat people smuggling whether by sea or by air, and to prevent deaths at sea arising from people being put on dangerous journeys to Australia by sea by people smugglers
Erodes the community’s confidence in the effective and orderly management of Australia’s migration program, and undermines the integrity of Australia’s visa systems and its sovereign right to protect its borders
Reward people who arrive illegally with the same permanent visa outcomes available to people who abide by Australia’s visa requirements. If a person who arrives illegally is found to engage Australia’s protection obligations, their protection needs can be met through the grant of a temporary visa.

The wording of the conditions makes it clear the intention is to refuse permanent visas in almost all cases.

So this is it then? The end of refugees in Australia. They've outright admitted that they don't care if someone is a genuine refugee. They don't care if they send them back to torture, rape or death.

It doesn't matter because all they have to say is that allowing that genuine refugee to stay in Australia would "(p)rovide a product for people smugglers to market now or in the future" and they'll send you away to die.

Nibbles!
Jun 26, 2008

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

make australia great again as well please
It's extra :smith: when you consider that people actually risk their lives thinking Australia holds hope for them only to be handed back to the people they are fleeing. Can't risk people dying at sea right.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

Amethyst posted:

Is this a particularly horrible media cycle? I'm finding this latest batch of horror particularly depressing, I'm finding it EXTREMELY difficult not to quit my job and withdraw to oblivion.

Don't worry, eventually you learn how to deal with the depression even without medication or treatment. Well, that or one of your three suicide attempts succeeds, I'd know after all, I have experience! :thumbsup:

• Locked thread