Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
benisntfunny
Dec 2, 2004
I'm Perfect.

Favorabilis Solitud posted:

Who here has been yelled at for stating there is a 30 dollar upgrade fee on a free $600 dollar phone!?

It doesn't matter what phone it is, it's still a bullshit charge. Even if Verizon did some how incur a $30 fee by upgrading customers they should cover that poo poo as the person has just agreed to fill their pockets right back up for the next two years.

Activation fees and upgrade fees are loving stupid cash grabs. "Err we have to pay XYZ to make phone werk" well isn't that why I'm paying you monthly and contracted to do so?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LCL-Dead
Apr 22, 2014

Grimey Drawer

benisntfunny posted:

It doesn't matter what phone it is, it's still a bullshit charge. Even if Verizon did some how incur a $30 fee by upgrading customers they should cover that poo poo as the person has just agreed to fill their pockets right back up for the next two years.

Activation fees and upgrade fees are loving stupid cash grabs. "Err we have to pay XYZ to make phone werk" well isn't that why I'm paying you monthly and contracted to do so?

Technically the upgrade fee has always been there but in the summer of 2012 Verizon took away the ability of the retail stores to waive said fee. Upgrading normally would see the fee waived but if you upgraded early it was applied in full. I found this out as I was upgrading from an Envy to an iPhone 4 and fully expected to pay the advertised 100 + tax before they hit me with the $30 additional and explained that they could no longer waive the fee.

Upgrade time is coming up again for me though and I'm torn. I'm watching for 4th of July deals right now (My upgrade is the 10th but I'll take an early upgrade fee for a deal on a phone) and I'm torn between the S5 and the Note 3. Online the Note is $300 bones but every store I've seen it in has it at the same price as the S5, $200. I'm kind of hard on phone (pics of my last iPhone's final state are up for request if anyone cares to see) so I'm torn. Do I get the S5 which, in it's smaller packaging could potentially be a bit more durable than the Note or do I go all out and get the note and then invest in stupidly bulky and expensive cases to keep it safe but unable to fit in my pocket?

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

WOULD YOU ACCOMPANY ME ON A BRISK WALK? I WOULD LIKE TO SPEAK WITH YOU!!

Mighty Horse posted:

You have to be careful buying used ones, as the system in place for handling activation/deact is half-assed and a mess.

Honestly, if you have the ability to run an outdoor antenna, your $250 is much better spent at some sort of active repeater system.

I wasn't going to go with used. The $250 isn't terrible and I can eat the cost for hassle-avoidance. What are you talking about with an active repeater system? I'm not at all familiar with what my options are in this scenario.

saintonan
Dec 7, 2009

Fields of glory shine eternal

LCL-Dead posted:

Do I get the S5 which, in it's smaller packaging could potentially be a bit more durable than the Note or do I go all out and get the note and then invest in stupidly bulky and expensive cases to keep it safe but unable to fit in my pocket?

For what it's worth, I have a Note 2 in an Otterbox Defender, and it still fits in my front pocket easily.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
The only answer is to make cardboard cutouts of each phone and then cardboard cutouts of various phone cases. Combine them together and see how they fit in your jorts.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004
I've got a dealer line that is about 6 months into it's 12 month contract. I ended employment at my last job but the district manager is kind of lazy and hasn't had it switched yet. What happens once they flip the switch, am I free to bring my number where ever I please?

Favorabilis Solitud
May 18, 2006
And that's the way it was.

benisntfunny posted:

I think part of my post was that the person you are yelling at in an irate and unacceptable manner has absolutely nothing to do with the charge and there is absolutely no way to waive the charge no matter how high up one demands to go. Another part is, everyone now knows about the charges before interacting with anyone in an irate and unacceptable manner, so then...whyyyy???

I don't like that the industry has activation fees and upgrade charges either.

SeaborneClink
Aug 27, 2010

MAWP... MAWP!

Lblitzer posted:

I've got a dealer line that is about 6 months into it's 12 month contract. I ended employment at my last job but the district manager is kind of lazy and hasn't had it switched yet. What happens once they flip the switch, am I free to bring my number where ever I please?

You'll get a notice and 30 days to make other arrangements. They may do nothing since it's still under contract. I'd just wait and see what if anything happens.

hoobajoo
Jun 2, 2004

benisntfunny posted:

Edge doesn't have any activation or upgrade fees, so there's that.

LCL-Dead
Apr 22, 2014

Grimey Drawer

Cojawfee posted:

The only answer is to make cardboard cutouts of each phone and then cardboard cutouts of various phone cases. Combine them together and see how they fit in your jorts.

But I wear my jorts so loving tight.. It's an unrealistic test when the end rolls around.

Honestly though.. S5 or Note 3, what should I get? I'm not super tech savvy when it comes to digging around in the Android OS but I do get a lot of use out of my phone for documents/emails/etc.

oxbrain
Aug 18, 2005

Put a glide in your stride and a dip in your hip and come on up to the mothership.
The LG G3 has a ridiculously high resolution screen and is supposed to be out mid July. I'm waiting on that.

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

please tell me where i can date this cute boy
I got to see one from my LG rep the other day. They are pretty neat looking.

Deep Winter
Mar 26, 2010

FordPRefectLL posted:

I got to see one from my LG rep the other day. They are pretty neat looking.

Haha, an LG rep. We barely have a Samsung rep. Our market share is 48% Samsung, 48% apple, 3% droid, 1% LG. We don't even have an apple rep. Small town store supremacy.

benisntfunny
Dec 2, 2004
I'm Perfect.

hoobajoo posted:

Edge doesn't have any activation or upgrade fees, so there's that.

There's only so much you can gently caress your customers and make them think they're still getting a deal.

Fluue
Jan 2, 2008
e; wrong thread

hoobajoo
Jun 2, 2004

benisntfunny posted:

There's only so much you can gently caress your customers and make them think they're still getting a deal.

Free Droid Maxx or an S5 for $100 over 20 months with no upgrade fee and yearly upgrades is not what I would call "loving me". I mean, not everyone is in that best case scenario, but it's a pretty great best case.

SeaborneClink
Aug 27, 2010

MAWP... MAWP!

benisntfunny posted:

You sure seem mad. You should probably check out service with AT&T or Sprint. Let me know how their activation and upgrade fees are.

hoobajoo posted:

Free Droid Maxx or an S5 for $100 over 20 months with no upgrade fee and yearly upgrades is not what I would call "loving me". I mean, not everyone is in that best case scenario, but it's a pretty great best case.

Your math is really... Not right? $499.99 is neither free nor $100. It's Free+$30 over 24 months or $499.99 over 20 months, and the S5 is $199.99+$30 or $599.99 over 20.

SeaborneClink fucked around with this message at 02:15 on Jul 1, 2014

Deep Winter
Mar 26, 2010

SeaborneClink posted:

Your math is really... Not right? $499.99 is neither free nor $100. It's Free+$30 over 24 months or $499.99 over 20 months, and the S5 is $199.99+$30 or $599.99 over 20.

Even with the upgrade free, the max is free, only upgrading isn't.

The s5 is 600, divided by 20 is $30, minus the $25 line access discount is $5, times 20 payments is $100.

How do I math

Prescription Combs
Apr 20, 2005
Charging 30 some dollars to change out a unique number in an accounting/auditing/database system which is designed to have the unique number changed out easily is highway robbery no matter what carrier. :homebrew:

Customized Moto X is on the way, anyway, for a contract renewal + activation. :nsa:

GUYS STOP
Jun 7, 2003
Grimey Drawer

Prescription Combs posted:

Charging 30 some dollars to change out a unique number in an accounting/auditing/database system which is designed to have the unique number changed out easily is highway robbery no matter what carrier. :homebrew:

Customized Moto X is on the way, anyway, for a contract renewal + activation. :nsa:
Yes any system is designed to be as efficient as possible but when you're dealing with bringing a phone number online the FCC is involved and they have all sorts of fun fees that the carrier incurs. The activation fee offsets some of that.

Also highway robbery is what happened to Bill Cosby's kid. :angel:

Favorabilis Solitud
May 18, 2006
And that's the way it was.
I keep sitting on this upgrade..afraid to use it because theres always news of a device that will come out soon thats just going to blow you away.

By the time I bite, I will be past 2 years of having an upgrade...

My next phone was a Lumia Icon because I can't find anything wrong with it and Android and iOS are starting to look the same to me.

Mighty Horse
Jul 24, 2007

Speed, Class, Bankruptcy.

shortspecialbus posted:

I wasn't going to go with used. The $250 isn't terrible and I can eat the cost for hassle-avoidance. What are you talking about with an active repeater system? I'm not at all familiar with what my options are in this scenario.

http://www.amazon.com/Wilson-Electr...son+electronics

something like that. they will work on almost all providers at once, and not require you to tie into your internet.

The setup is a bit more complicated, but having dealt with many, many network extenders over the years in my stint at VZW, they are the best overall.

ScienceAndMusic
Feb 16, 2012

CANNOT STOP SHITPOSTING FOR FIVE MINUTES
I just wish I didn't pay 90 bucks a months for 2gb of data. I wish there were a way to cut down my plan but I need at least that much data for work :(

hoobajoo
Jun 2, 2004

ScienceAndMusic posted:

I just wish I didn't pay 90 bucks a months for 2gb of data. I wish there were a way to cut down my plan but I need at least that much data for work :(

There's a single line plan for one smartphone 2GB and unlimited domestic talk and text for $75.

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

Hey FedEx, how dare you deliver something before your "delivered by" time.

hoobajoo posted:

There's a single line plan for one smartphone 2GB and unlimited domestic talk and text for $75.

..+$15 for "fees" brings it up to $assrape per month.

hoobajoo
Jun 2, 2004

Baller Witness Bro posted:

..+$15 for "fees" brings it up to $assrape per month.

It makes no sense to talk about taxes and fees regarding plans since they're 100% regional. I've seen dudes pay $30 extra and $4 extra on the same plan, because one lived in NYC and one lived in Oregon.

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

In Arizona, it's $9 extra for smartphones but then there's a state tax on basic phones that makes the taxes on those like $20. It's awesome.

ScienceAndMusic
Feb 16, 2012

hoobajoo posted:

It makes no sense to talk about taxes and fees regarding plans since they're 100% regional. I've seen dudes pay $30 extra and $4 extra on the same plan, because one lived in NYC and one lived in Oregon.

I literally cannot find any options to get a different cheaper plan...

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

You need to call up and ask for that one. It's a promotional plan. If you're on a single line, you might lead in by asking for the "loyalty plan" which comes with Unlimited Talk + Text and 2GB data for $60/mo. I don't know if they still do it, though.

hoobajoo
Jun 2, 2004

ScienceAndMusic posted:

I literally cannot find any options to get a different cheaper plan...

It's not online, you gotta call in and ask for it.

ScienceAndMusic
Feb 16, 2012

FordPRefectLL posted:

You need to call up and ask for that one. It's a promotional plan. If you're on a single line, you might lead in by asking for the "loyalty plan" which comes with Unlimited Talk + Text and 2GB data for $60/mo. I don't know if they still do it, though.

hoobajoo posted:

It's not online, you gotta call in and ask for it.

Thanks for the tip, I'll see what I can do.

Beverly Cleavage
Jun 22, 2004

I am a pretty pretty princess, watch me do my pretty princess dance....
Looking to jump from ATT because we are moving to an area where the coverage is a little less than stellar.

Unfortunately, using the tools on the website are not really great at helping me determine what the monthly cost is going to be - I'm hoping someone could help map it out for me a little better here.

3 smartphones, 1 tablet.

1 smart phone is my wife, whom is really only interested in getting a phone and keeping it going as long as possible. As a result of this, I'm just inclined to shell out the full cost of the device and run with it (thinking probably 5s as she wants to stick with iOS).

I have the other 2 lines plus ipad (all loosely work related). Since the carriers are moving away from contracts, I may be a little more inclined to run with edge on at least my primary line, and the other I'll just replace/upgrade depending on need and expense.

I imagine the 6GB plan should be sufficient as that is what we're on currently using and managing pretty well. Is it worth trying to push edge on most of the lines, or could there be a better way to break it down?

Edit - for my phones, at least one android, probably a flagship (m8, or maybe g3 since it's coming out in a few weeks, currently on an s4 that is nice. The other line is irrelevant)

Beverly Cleavage fucked around with this message at 18:08 on Jul 3, 2014

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

WOULD YOU ACCOMPANY ME ON A BRISK WALK? I WOULD LIKE TO SPEAK WITH YOU!!

Mighty Horse posted:

http://www.amazon.com/Wilson-Electr...son+electronics

something like that. they will work on almost all providers at once, and not require you to tie into your internet.

The setup is a bit more complicated, but having dealt with many, many network extenders over the years in my stint at VZW, they are the best overall.

You don't have plat so I can't message you with some more specific questions on this, so as to not clutter up the thread. If you care to, could you contact me via e-mail at
verizonthread@<myusername>.com ? Not a problem if you don't want to, I'll just clutter the thread up then :)

Prescription Combs
Apr 20, 2005

shortspecialbus posted:

You don't have plat so I can't message you with some more specific questions on this, so as to not clutter up the thread. If you care to, could you contact me via e-mail at
verizonthread@<myusername>.com ? Not a problem if you don't want to, I'll just clutter the thread up then :)

Those Wilson Electronics boosters work fantastically well. Used two of the car install boosters and can get signal out in BFE west Texas where the phone by itself wouldn't pick up anything.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

Wife would really like to get our 2 lines on a regular 2 year upgrade cycle (we both have grandfathered unlimited), but all the plans I see on the site are generally equivalent to anal rape with a fireplace poker.

Is there anything for us legacy people that works?

We would have 5 lines. 3 smart and 2 dumb. We'd need at least 12GB (and that's cutting usage tight). Right now, it's still cheaper to stick with our unlimited (2) + 1 2gb + 2 dumb, than to make any changes.

CapMoron
Nov 20, 2000
Forum Veteran
I'm currently on a family plan with my GF and we both have the Nationwide Talk Share 700 plan with grandfathered unlimited data.

In May I bought an unsubsidized Moto X when it was on sale, so I'm sitting pretty with unlimited data until they find some way to screw me out of it.

My GF wants to upgrade her old iPhone 4 using her subsidy because she doesn't use much data and 2 GB would be plenty for her. If she upgrades her phone without switching to something like the More Everything plan will I still keep my unlimited data, or will I get screwed somehow?

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
So I got onto Edge because my old Samsung killed itself halfway through contract and short of paying full retail price on a new phone (and uh I guess opening a new line), I would be stuck with a phone bill and service that my device was physically unable to use.

Someone fill me in on the skinny here. I realize I'm not making payments towards the full retail price of my new phone - does this mean that if I pay off the full $600 or whatever, I own the phone? I know with Edge otherwise you'd have to trade in the phone for the next one. But say this new phone lasts me until I pay it off, can I still Edge Up after I paid off the phone and keep the old phone?

hoobajoo
Jun 2, 2004

CapMoron posted:

I'm currently on a family plan with my GF and we both have the Nationwide Talk Share 700 plan with grandfathered unlimited data.

In May I bought an unsubsidized Moto X when it was on sale, so I'm sitting pretty with unlimited data until they find some way to screw me out of it.

My GF wants to upgrade her old iPhone 4 using her subsidy because she doesn't use much data and 2 GB would be plenty for her. If she upgrades her phone without switching to something like the More Everything plan will I still keep my unlimited data, or will I get screwed somehow?

She can upgrade her phone and get a 6GB plan (there's a special plan for moving off unlimited) and you'll still have your unlimited, yes.

Protocol7 posted:

So I got onto Edge because my old Samsung killed itself halfway through contract and short of paying full retail price on a new phone (and uh I guess opening a new line), I would be stuck with a phone bill and service that my device was physically unable to use.

Someone fill me in on the skinny here. I realize I'm not making payments towards the full retail price of my new phone - does this mean that if I pay off the full $600 or whatever, I own the phone? I know with Edge otherwise you'd have to trade in the phone for the next one. But say this new phone lasts me until I pay it off, can I still Edge Up after I paid off the phone and keep the old phone?

Once you've paid 100% of the edge contract, you can upgrade and keep the phone.

yamdankee
Jan 23, 2005

~anderoid fragmentation~
I'm not sure if this is the right place to ask, but I'm with Verizon so maybe?

I'm planning on visiting Australia for a couple weeks. Usually when I go on vacation I leave my iphone in airplane mode and I never even use it anyway. But for this trip I'll need to stay in communication with others. What's the most cost effective way to stay in communication with the others I'm traveling with? Get a prepaid microsim to use in my iPhone? Or does it not work like that?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SeaborneClink
Aug 27, 2010

MAWP... MAWP!

yamdankee posted:

I'm not sure if this is the right place to ask, but I'm with Verizon so maybe?

I'm planning on visiting Australia for a couple weeks. Usually when I go on vacation I leave my iphone in airplane mode and I never even use it anyway. But for this trip I'll need to stay in communication with others. What's the most cost effective way to stay in communication with the others I'm traveling with? Get a prepaid microsim to use in my iPhone? Or does it not work like that?

On an iPhone 5+ you'll need a nano or 4FF SIM card.

• Locked thread