Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Are you getting the Wii U?
This poll is closed.
Yes 9031 65.25%
No 1191 8.60%
Maybe 808 5.84%
I'm an idiot 460 3.32%
Waluigi 1603 11.58%
Waa 748 5.40%
Total: 13841 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
ChuckLogan
Oct 10, 2009

Oh yeah? Well, I had sex with your wife!

Ultigonio posted:

New OP discussion...

I agree about what the other poster said in organizing the games according to category. You might also consider a simple buy/rent/skip rating system.(based on general Goon opinion) Maybe just spell out pros/cons for the games that fall into the rent category as they will be games that are polarizing on opinion(cough W101). Might want to mention if a game has an eshop demo also.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Some UK place called Argos is doing some sort of sale, here's the decent Wii/U stuff I noticed on the website:

Wii Partu U/Wiimote Plus bundle - 14.99
Game & Wario - 19.99
Resident Evil Revelations - 15.49
Tekken Tag Tournament 2 - 13.49
Deus Ex Human Revolution DC - 12.49

Kirby's Epic Yarn - 9.99
The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword - 9.99
Boom Street - 4.99
Beat the Beat. Rhythm Paradise - 3.99

They also had the Xenoblade/red Wii Classic Controller Pro bundle listed for 24.99 but it's in-store only aka you're never gonna find one.

Astro Nut
Feb 22, 2013

Nonsensical Space Powers, Activate! Form of Friendship!

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

Some UK place called Argos is doing some sort of sale, here's the decent Wii/U stuff I noticed on the website:

Wii Partu U/Wiimote Plus bundle - 14.99
Game & Wario - 19.99
Resident Evil Revelations - 15.49
Tekken Tag Tournament 2 - 13.49
Deus Ex Human Revolution DC - 12.49

Kirby's Epic Yarn - 9.99
The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword - 9.99
Boom Street - 4.99
Beat the Beat. Rhythm Paradise - 3.99

They also had the Xenoblade/red Wii Classic Controller Pro bundle listed for 24.99 but it's in-store only aka you're never gonna find one.

Retailer, not quite a supermarket, but nevertheless deals in a lot of stuff, largely family and home related in some manner - hands out massive free catalogues at Christmas.

A number of the games you've listed though aren't actually part of their Big Sale (summer, duh), but are listing their permanent price on the website. Deus Ex, Tekken, and Resident Evil don't have deals on them, and from what I'm looking at, the Wii Party U/Wiimote bundle is at a full price of 34.99

And turns out the Xenoblade matter is actually a matter of being unavailable for home delivery. What you do is buy it, they ship to your local Argos, and you pick it up.

Considering its price relative to say, Amazon, I may have to seriously consider this when I've a bit more money.

Edit: Or.... not. drat. Decided to test it fully, and then it listed as out of store stock. Daaaaamn.

Double Edit: To drive in the wound further, its not at any of the ten stores nearest to me - even up to a range of fifteen miles.

Astro Nut fucked around with this message at 01:01 on Jul 4, 2014

Ultigonio
Oct 26, 2012

Well now.

ChuckLogan posted:

I agree about what the other poster said in organizing the games according to category. You might also consider a simple buy/rent/skip rating system.(based on general Goon opinion) Maybe just spell out pros/cons for the games that fall into the rent category as they will be games that are polarizing on opinion(cough W101). Might want to mention if a game has an eshop demo also.
By "category," do you mean genre? I'm not fond of the "buy/rent/skip," idea, especially because I'm already doing something that serves the same purpose while being generally cleaner - if a game falls into what one might call "rent-able" it'll be in its own section along with other games that may or may not be worth buying. Any game that is in the recommended will have pros/cons spelled out for it, and this includes W101. If a game has a demo, it'll be marked as such. DKCTF does not have a demo, so it was not marked as having one.

CatsPajamas posted:

I think WWHD really should be in the exclusive section. Seriously, think of someone new to the thread who wants to see the pluses/minuses for it (which is a great feature, by the way) - where are they going to look for a Zelda game? The section with all the Nintendo exclusives or the section with third party games? Remember, the most important thing to keep in mind is to be helpful for readers. We shouldn't get caught up in technicalities and instead do what's most useful for people.

I support getting positives and negatives from the thread as well! Not only will that be a fun thing to talk about, but also it will probably be more meaningful to have more perspectives on a game. Of course we'll still want to keep them short and sweet so people don't run into a wall of text.
Mmmm. That's... actually a fair point about Wind Waker HD. I'll give it some more thought. Thank you for the encouragement, by the way - I really do appreciate it!

And yeah, I'll probably spend some good time for the next few days leading the general discussion thread through hoops as we talk through each game I don't know very well. Fun. :v:

wafflemoose
Apr 10, 2009

Just bought Super Mario 3D World, totally worth it just to hear Mario meow. What a great game! :allears:

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Astro Nut posted:

and from what I'm looking at, the Wii Party U/Wiimote bundle is at a full price of 34.99

http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/2046464.htm The listing says Wii Party but everything else indicates it's Wii Party U.

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

A Sometimes Food posted:

Is Unlimited World Red any good? Haven't heard anything about it good or bad, but seeing as it isnt out in America yet, that's probably why. I've hard it's sort of a hunting type game which I am a sucker for.

It looks like an updated version of Ultimate Adventure which was all right, but honestly didn't hold my interest for a very long time. UA had pretty straight forward character advancement through new moves, but they didn't really open up the levels like I wanted. The exploration was pretty rote. Crafting was all right, but the fishing and bug hunting I personally found a bit boring and overly reliant on the waggle.

Rawrbomb
Mar 11, 2011

rawrrrrr

Ultigonio posted:

And yeah, I'll probably spend some good time for the next few days leading the general discussion thread through hoops as we talk through each game I don't know very well. Fun. :v:
What system can you today walk into a store and buy Wind Waker HD on ? Wii U
What other systems can you today walk into a store and buy Wind Waker (HD) for? None.
You _might_ be able to find it used, in a "gaming" store, but only if you're lucky. Don't forget you'd need a GameCube + Controller + memory card, or Wii with GC support + GC controller + memory card.

You can't get it on the PC (legally, emulator is possible)
You can't get it on xbox (one/360)
You can't get it on PS3/4
You can't get it on DS/3DS
You can't get it on Vita/PSP

It is, an exclusive game, to a specific system.

Rawrbomb fucked around with this message at 01:36 on Jul 4, 2014

Smoove J
Sep 13, 2003

yeah Meade's ok I spose
Got Masamura & wii remote, turns out you do need a nunchuk accessory (or classic controller or etc) to run it. Borrowed one from my neighbor and the game's cool as hell! It's the best!

PrBacterio
Jul 19, 2000

Rawrbomb posted:

What system can you today walk into a store and buy Wind Waker HD on ? Wii U
What other systems can you today walk into a store and buy Wind Waker (HD) for? None.
You _might_ be able to find it used, in a "gaming" store, but only if you're lucky. Don't forget you'd need a GameCube + Controller + memory card, or Wii with GC support + GC controller + memory card.

You can't get it on the PC (legally, emulator is possible)
You can't get it on xbox (one/360)
You can't get it on PS3/4
You can't get it on DS/3DS
You can't get it on Vita/PSP

It is, an exclusive game, to a specific system.
Eh, I'd say it's a little disingenuous to call a rerelease of a game on a new platform an "exclusive" just because the original one is no longer available/supported; that would be kind of like saying Zelda is a Wii exclusive because you can no longer buy a new NES :shrug:

Fremry
Nov 4, 2003

PrBacterio posted:

Eh, I'd say it's a little disingenuous to call a rerelease of a game on a new platform an "exclusive" just because the original one is no longer available/supported; that would be kind of like saying Zelda is a Wii exclusive because you can no longer buy a new NES :shrug:

But at the same time, more people would be thrown off to read Zelda as multi-platform than to read it as exclusive. When I read the post, I thought he forgot Wind Waker on the recommended list because I never once thought of it as multi-platform. When I think of multi-plat, I think multiple consoles of the same generation, not "this is a remake from one of Nintendo's previous consoles."

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

When I see the word "multiplat" in reference to a Wii U game, I interpret that as a game I could also buy for Playstation, XBox, or PC. I think the colloquial definition trumps the technical, here.

wafflemoose
Apr 10, 2009

Multiplatform = Available on multiple systems across different manufacturers
Exclusive = Available only to a specific console

It's not a hard concept guys. :colbert:

Ultigonio
Oct 26, 2012

Well now.

Starhawk64 posted:

Multiplatform = Available on multiple systems across different manufacturers
Exclusive = Available only to a specific console

It's not a hard concept guys. :colbert:

Yeah, strictly speaking, Wind Waker (HD) is what I'd call a multiplatform game - I'm a pretty by-the-books guy for these sorts of things. That said, if it's gonna' be an issue for multiple people (which it seems to be), then I don't have any issue with moving WWHD to "Exclusives." I won't be calling the GBA VC releases "exclusive," though, you folks ain't pushin' me any further with that. :v:

Misandu
Feb 28, 2008

STOP.
Hammer Time.

Ultigonio posted:

Yeah, strictly speaking, Wind Waker (HD) is what I'd call a multiplatform game - I'm a pretty by-the-books guy for these sorts of things. That said, if it's gonna' be an issue for multiple people (which it seems to be), then I don't have any issue with moving WWHD to "Exclusives." I won't be calling the GBA VC releases "exclusive," though, you folks ain't pushin' me any further with that. :v:

I mean by definition you can't purchase and play Wind Waker HD on any other system. You're the one stretching to include the original version despite the updates and changes to the game.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Not listing WWHD as an exclusive seems weird but that's just me. I see where you're coming from but from a realistic standpoint it should be listed as an exclusive. No one is going to pass on the Wii U because they could play that game on a GC but people will certainly purchase the console specifically for it. And there is only one version of WWHD that you can buy, the one exclusively on the Wii U. HD remakes are a tricky bag eh?

Commissar Ken
Dec 9, 2006

Children STILL love me, dammit!

Help Im Alive posted:

Tekken Tag Tournament 2 is a great game and the Wii U version has some exclusive modes but the trade off is that the online is probably dead at this point and I don't think there are any Wii U arcade sticks out there if you don't like to play on pad. For some reason it doesn't let you post screenshots on Miiverse either.

There's a stick for the WiiU, it was made specifically because Tekken Tag was coming out on it. The downside is I think it plugs into a Wiimote if i'm not mistaken although I may be thinking of the Wii Fight Stick that came out for WWE All Stars. Also motherfuckin' Tekken Ball is exclusive to the WiiU version.

Spacebump posted:

The worst part of this is for months after the fact Ed Boon pretended it was coming on twitter when anyone asked him. I'll never buy another game by him over that.

Yeah I was extra pissed about this because the WiiU version ran the best and the Pro Controller has that great D-pad. Bought it on discount on steam awhile back just so I could get to play around with Martian Manhunter and Zatanna and i'll be damned if it doesn't have little stutters whenever you level transition which weren't in the WiiU version. I'm flippin' tea tables.

Commissar Ken fucked around with this message at 03:31 on Jul 4, 2014

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Wind Waker HD is an exclusive. It's an overhauled new edition of the game, available no where else.

I don't know if Grim Fandango HD is only on Xbox One, but for the sake of the argument if it were, it would also be an exclusive and not a multiplat even though Grim Fandango came out 15 years ago.

Fremry
Nov 4, 2003
I mean, honestly, I think of Nintendo IP as "Nintendo Exclusive" and never as even being up for discussion as multi-platform.

In other news, I finished NSMBU just now with all of the stars, and I have to say that I freaking loved that game. I know that it's a little derisive, but I had a blast the entire 18 hours I played it.

deadwing
Mar 5, 2007

Fremry posted:

I mean, honestly, I think of Nintendo IP as "Nintendo Exclusive" and never as even being up for discussion as multi-platform.

In other news, I finished NSMBU just now with all of the stars, and I have to say that I freaking loved that game. I know that it's a little derisive, but I had a blast the entire 18 hours I played it.

Have you touched the Challenges? Because that's the real loving game in NSMBU.

Fremry
Nov 4, 2003

deadwing posted:

Have you touched the Challenges? Because that's the real loving game in NSMBU.

Just the one where you have to beat acorn hills in 53 seconds. Took me a few tries and that looks to be the easiest one.

I'm probably going to move onto Wind Waker HD next since I spent a week and a half exclusively on a platformer.

bef
Mar 2, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
Hey whats the deal with Platinum status for club nintendo? Does platinum get special perks? Can't find it on the website.

E: also if I download a club nintendo game does it count towards the $5 e-shop credit?

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Holy wow SM3DW has a lot of content.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

bef posted:

Hey whats the deal with Platinum status for club nintendo? Does platinum get special perks? Can't find it on the website.

E: also if I download a club nintendo game does it count towards the $5 e-shop credit?

At the end of the Club Nintendo year (June 30th, the year actually just ended), Gold members get a choice of a couple free gifts and Platinum members get a choice of a couple fancier free gifts. Its nothing too terribly special, but it's usually exclusive. Last year had a CD release of the Majora's Mask Soundtrack, for example. And a couple years ago I got a little Mario Bros statuette thing.

And yes, the Club Nintendo reward games will give you Deluxe Digital credit.

bef
Mar 2, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

Trent posted:

Holy wow SM3DW has a lot of content.

Yeah I always wondered if it was goon frothing on how everyone talks it up but its seriously a lot of fun and a good bang for your buck. The last worlds are killer.

jivjov posted:

At the end of the Club Nintendo year (June 30th, the year actually just ended), Gold members get a choice of a couple free gifts and Platinum members get a choice of a couple fancier free gifts. Its nothing too terribly special, but it's usually exclusive. Last year had a CD release of the Majora's Mask Soundtrack, for example. And a couple years ago I got a little Mario Bros statuette thing.

And yes, the Club Nintendo reward games will give you Deluxe Digital credit.

Thanks for the info, weird they don't tell you anywhere.

Nintendo Is Good.

MykonosFan
Sep 9, 2012

Hows my homies training
going? Whaa? Hey! What
are you doing Ronald?

Info about it is hidden somewhere on the website but yeah I've seen so many people ask about it in this and the 3DS thread I kinda wonder if they should push that info a bit more.

Now that the year ended, the real hard part is waiting to see if the prizes are any good (I know some weren't stoked about the MM OST last year but I was), then waiting until December if the prize is good. Oh boy

Zonekeeper
Oct 27, 2007

I guess the prizes have the inherent issue of either being underwhelming or being something good enough that it should have gotten a wider release. Perfect example being the SNES classic controller from a few years ago. That's something everyone should have access to, not a limited exclusive.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

bef posted:

Yeah I always wondered if it was goon frothing on how everyone talks it up but its seriously a lot of fun and a good bang for your buck. The last worlds are killer.

I can't help but think it's a modern classic. The only way it won't go down as a classic is if Nintendo takes the formula and somehow improves the idea even further. That said it's not really hard to expect with how high quality their titles have been lately.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Hyrule Warriors Agitha gameplay

Bugs.

Online confirmed as well as Ocarina of Time characters

ThisIsACoolGuy fucked around with this message at 06:58 on Jul 4, 2014

Crawfish
Dec 11, 2012

I'm glad they stuck to her special glowy bugs and didn't dump a whole lot of unfitting bugs like Skulltula and stuff in her moveset.

That said, they need to stop loving around and announce Groose already. This whole game will of been all for naught if he isn't playable in this.

bef
Mar 2, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

They better put Tingle in this

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax

bef posted:

I have never wanted Tingle in a game.

Until now.

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

"I stood there, wondering why the puck was getting bigger...

and then it hit me."

This pushes the game from "wait for a sale or something" to "strongly consider getting day 1" for me. Dynasty Warriors gameplay can be mindless at times, but that sort of thing can be okay or even great for online co-op, since you can have a chance to chat and have fun with a friend (or multiple friends?) while just wrecking dudes.

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

Does anyone know what the hardmode code for the WiiU version of Guacamelee is?

Crawfish
Dec 11, 2012

Did you try the Konami code?

Hashy
Nov 20, 2005

It's funny how the Wii U is getting high profile exclusives of the absolute best and absolute dullest of character action in Bayonetta 2 and Zelda Dynasty Warriors respectively, and that the good one has a character/tone that turns everyone off while the bad one is in the second most loved videogame franchise there is.

Kewpuh
Oct 22, 2003

when i dip you dip we dip

Hashy posted:

It's funny how the Wii U is getting high profile exclusives of the absolute best and absolute dullest of character action in Bayonetta 2 and Zelda Dynasty Warriors respectively, and that the good one has a character/tone that turns everyone off while the bad one is in the second most loved videogame franchise there is.

what

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

~As for dreams, she has enough and more to spare~

BottledBodhisvata posted:

I have never wanted Tingle in a game.

Until now.

The Tingle DS game is actually really good and cool

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

Hashy posted:

Dynasty Warriors is a perfectly fine franchise that has shown solid competence at creating licensed spinoffs from One Piece and Gundam. I think most people find the gameplay gets a little repetitive and it's got a bad reputation for the franchise getting a little too same-y but they're good games. Don't call them bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

I'm just hoping we get that triforce scarf in the EU/US versions :allears:.

...I know you've got more bugs.

bef posted:

We can but hope :pray:.

• Locked thread