Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
circ dick soleil
Sep 27, 2012

by zen death robot
Aiden was definitely written as her husband but then someone in creative had the BRILLIANT IDEA to have Aiden be a walking big brother analogy and everyone drop everything because this idea is so perfect and good and I get paid a lot more than you do so it's clear my ideas are better than yours.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy
I, too, ignored the plot and wanted to let scumbags live despite it being :siren:problematic.:siren:

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox

CAPT. Rainbowbeard posted:

I, too, ignored the plot and wanted to let scumbags live despite it being :siren:problematic.:siren:

This bothered me last night when you do the mission where you have to take down a bunch of dudes to save Jackson. I did non-lethal takedowns on the majority of them but in the cutscene following Aiden insists that they were all brutally murdered.

gently caress, don't give me the option if you're just going to rip the agency out of my hands through dialogue.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy
Since the advent of everything having to have full speech, agency has been pretty much an illusion.

Realizing this makes Mass Effect 3 cause about 70% less seizures in the general popation, by the way.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

CAPT. Rainbowbeard posted:

Since the advent of everything having to have full speech, agency has been pretty much an illusion.

Realizing this makes Mass Effect 3 cause about 70% less seizures in the general popation, by the way.

Agreed but Ubisoft is trying to make a comment about the difference between how Aiden views himself and how he actually behaves when controlled by the player. It's supposed to make you, as the player, go "huh, am I REALLY a hero if I'm murdering all these people?" But it doesn't work if the game is going to just make assumptions about how you're choosing to play it. It's trying to be Spec Ops without any of the subtlety.

But I'm just rehashing arguments that have been made a thousand times already.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.

PantsBandit posted:

Why is it that every time Damien lets Aiden talks to his sister the conversation is extremely casual and...flirtatious? Like, you would think she'd be flipping out because she'd been kidnapped and her autistic son doesn't know where she is?

It's that way because you're projecting.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

Discendo Vox posted:

What? Go back and listen to her tell Aiden that she thinks Jacks takes after "his bull-headed uncle."

The tone of voice is verging on flirtatious, definitely inappropriate for the situation.

Ham Sandwiches
Jul 7, 2000

Discendo Vox posted:

Or it is in fact weird because the tone feels out of place for the context and you didn't pick up on it?

Tempo 119
Apr 17, 2006

The full set of 6 pre-order packs is up for download now, it's an extra couple hours gameplay for season pass holders but I wouldn't bother buying it outright tbh.

Rakthar posted:

Or it is in fact weird because the tone feels out of place for the context and you didn't pick up on it?

It's hard to miss how oddly chummy and light-hearted their conversations are while she's being held hostage. That poster is probably just overreacting to the word "flirtatious" because there are people in this thread who think there is an actual literal incest angle to Aiden's relationship with his sister, which is dumb as hell and pure projection.

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

Her voice is like that because even Ubi realized that if they would imply torture and rape this piece of poo poo game would be too loving dark and edgy and basically end up as a fanfic.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

Michaellaneous posted:

Her voice is like that because even Ubi realized that if they would imply torture and rape this piece of poo poo game would be too loving dark and edgy and basically end up as a fanfic.

Because at no point in this game do they tastelessly imply rape and torture.

Dial A For Awesome
May 23, 2009

PantsBandit posted:

Agreed but Ubisoft is trying to make a comment about the difference between how Aiden views himself and how he actually behaves when controlled by the player. It's supposed to make you, as the player, go "huh, am I REALLY a hero if I'm murdering all these people?" But it doesn't work if the game is going to just make assumptions about how you're choosing to play it. It's trying to be Spec Ops without any of the subtlety.

But I'm just rehashing arguments that have been made a thousand times already.

I'm only halfway through the main plot but find it rather frustrating when the Aiden of the cutscenes behaves in a way that has no resemblance to the way the game is actually played. For example, in the prison mission Aiden goes out of his way to avoid killing a gang member who knows his identity (indeed you even rescue him from some guards). This is despite having no qualms about killing security guards and henchmen in other missions (or, for that matter, gunning down innocent police officers as you leave the prison). Moreover my identity is obviously well enough know for random strangers in the street to mention "that guy must be the vigilante I've heard about" every few minutes.

Similarly despite Aiden's daughter dying in a car accident when a guy paid by a shadowy criminal organisation tries to intimidate him, Aiden has no problems with doing fixer missions for anonymous criminals that involve him racing around the streets delivering getaway vehicles, messing with the police and mowing down civilians with his bad driving.

The gameplay is fun enough, but the writing, characterisation and dialogue is witless.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Michaellaneous posted:

Yes, I'm certain they felt that way in a game where you literally walk through a sex slavery operation and where one mission involves a rapist-torture fetishist.

Dial A For Awesome posted:

Similarly despite Aiden's daughter dying in a car accident when a guy paid by a shadowy criminal organisation tries to intimidate him, Aiden has no problems with doing fixer missions for anonymous criminals that involve him racing around the streets delivering getaway vehicles, messing with the police and mowing down civilians with his bad driving.

Niece!

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

The gameplay is fun enough, but the writing, characterization and dialogue is witless.

I'm trying to think of an Ubisoft game this doesn't apply to. (Blood Dragon)

Yeah there's an odd jumble of character, and lots of gamers seem to have noticed it. Its weird and massively hypocritical. But its not like Aiden is a hypocrite, its not that believable. Its just painfully obvious that the game is at-odds with itself. As you said, he freaks the gently caress out because a fixer killed his niece, but he has no problem working as a fixer or with fixers. Makes no drat sense.

Its just like Ubisoft Deus Ex Human Revolution. Again, a pretty fun and good game, although the story at times is awkward. It got so bad that people refer to Adam as "CG Adam" and "Game Adam" like they're two entirely different people.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

I thought the writing in Gunslinger was actually pretty drat good, although it wasn't exactly a high epic yarn so much as "The Adventures of Old Drunk Guy Telling Stories"

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Lanth posted:

Didn't see this posted yet, sorry if it's a repost:

Watch_Dogs as a (bad) movie script

Richard Cobbett wrote something similar and it's also good.

Tempo 119
Apr 17, 2006

You could just post the actual script of the game and it would be funnier and take less time to read.

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

Okay what the hell Act 3

If i was going to end up storming the drat place and taking the data anyway, why all the secrecy and going through Bedbug?

Also as annoying as this Defaltguy is his section of Act 4 is probably the best bit in the game since

1. It has that club part from the E3 demo in it which i had forgotten about until i saw it.

2.People actually using the same tricks you've been using the whole game against you is pretty cool even if they don't put it to near as much effectiveness as you can

Seriously, during that whole chase scene i was expecting explosions and traffic lights going off everywhere not "ooooooh look at me and this BLACKOUT i can do"!

TheSpiritFox
Jan 4, 2009

I'm just a memory, I can't give you any new information.

I'm only halfway through the main plot but find it rather frustrating when the Aiden of the cutscenes behaves in a way that has no resemblance to the way the game is actually played. For example, in the prison mission Aiden goes out of his way to avoid killing a gang member who knows his identity (indeed you even rescue him from some guards). This is despite having no qualms about killing security guards and henchmen in other missions (or, for that matter, gunning down innocent police officers as you leave the prison). Moreover my identity is obviously well enough know for random strangers in the street to mention "that guy must be the vigilante I've heard about" every few minutes.

The gameplay is fun enough, but the writing, characterisation and dialogue is witless.

The correct way to play this game is to always shoot or blow up everyone, to kill pedestrians because the single detail a computer system decided was the most important one is something you don't like, to tank your reputation as fast as possible by solving random crimes with grenades, and then to laugh as you make everyone in the game who is not Aiden right about who and what Aiden is.

Seriously the story makes perfect sense if you just approach it from the perspective that Aiden is a narcissistic psychopath with delusions of grandeur. It really gives a great perspective to wandering around the city on foot chasing dudes down and listening to passerby get freaked out as you crouch against a wall to stalk one dude in plain view of 20 more. He's an idiot who thinks that he's batman and everyone else spends the entire game pointing out that he's an idiot, and he just grins goofily through every minute of it unphased because he lacks any form of self awareness of any kind.

All you have to do is turn on the fedora outfit and seriously the entire game will make perfect sense. Aiden is a masterpiece of oblivious autistic goony goodness. And it's entirely unintentional.

TheSpiritFox fucked around with this message at 07:33 on Jul 3, 2014

big duck equals goose
Nov 7, 2006

by XyloJW
The vigilante rules because he stopped a mugging!!

*NPCs cheer as the Aidan causes 20 car wrecks in a single day and is the cause of a untold number of fatalities*

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

big duck equals goose posted:

The vigilante rules because he stopped a mugging!!

*NPCs cheer as the Aidan causes 20 car wrecks in a single day and is the cause of a untold number of fatalities*

Don't worry, car wrecks never kill anyone. You hear them on the radio talking about how they got out safely.

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

Someone tell me why Aiden reload assault rifles so loving stupid when you aim down the sights.

Why would you tilt your gun away from your other hand before pulling the magazine out.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

"Oh right, you're Dave! This is Dave's bar! Your bar! If anyone were looking for you then they would find you here! At your bar!"

The guy's name wasn't Dave but holy poo poo, somebody had to write that line and somebody else had to deliver it and nobody pointed out how incredibly stupid it was?

(probably nobody remembers the line I'm referencing...)

MrJacobs
Sep 15, 2008

PantsBandit posted:

"Oh right, you're Dave! This is Dave's bar! Your bar! If anyone were looking for you then they would find you here! At your bar!"

The guy's name wasn't Dave but holy poo poo, somebody had to write that line and somebody else had to deliver it and nobody pointed out how incredibly stupid it was?

(probably nobody remembers the line I'm referencing...)

The one where the shitfaced guy is drunkenly stumbling his words in an incoherent mess while the bartender just goes along with it? "Jedediah's bar! and you're Jedediah!"

Never seemed that bad when put into context.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

MrJacobs posted:

The one where the shitfaced guy is drunkenly stumbling his words in an incoherent mess while the bartender just goes along with it? "Jedediah's bar! and you're Jedediah!"

Never seemed that bad when put into context.

I mean, think about it from a writer's perspective. They need to move Aiden to his next objective and the way they chose to do it was have one character say to the other "this is your name and this is where you can be found!"

It's just so lazy I can't help but laugh.

MrJacobs
Sep 15, 2008

PantsBandit posted:

I mean, think about it from a writer's perspective. They need to move Aiden to his next objective and the way they chose to do it was have one character say to the other "this is your name and this is where you can be found!"

It's just so lazy I can't help but laugh.

I thought the idea of having a shitfaced guy say it made it seem less stupid, but also funnier. You have a point, but it still made sense and wasn't too jarring in context. It's not like they left an audio log telling you the combination to a safe or some poo poo.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
Honestly it didn't seem any weirder than the rest of the games escalating series of events leading you by the nose to each setpiece.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

I just got an email with my preorder bonus DLC! Thanks, that's only 5-6 weeks after release!

Anyway if anyone cares and wants the "Breakthrough Pack", enter 5DP-37HV-MFGB-LLNQ-AE33 into Uplay somewhere.

Frkzd
Jun 9, 2014
I've REALLY wanted to play this game. It's been the only title I followed pre-release since FFXIV. Alas, I missed out on preorder collector's edition bundle because I couldn't afford it while it was available, and now have less interest due to (what I hear of) it's gameplay similarities to Assassin's Creed in terms of storyline objectives, side quests, exploration, etc. Besides, I'm getting ever more annoyed at having to pay subscription (internet) upon subscription (game/console) upon subscription (season pass), but I suppose I should just come to terms with the trend.

Granted, it's Ubisoft, and I've yet to experience a developer/publisher that does well with variety. But exactly how similar is WD to AC? Please tell me there aren't exploration points that unlock additional parts of the city map and the laughable ability to ditch pursuers by jumping in a trashcan...

Tempo 119
Apr 17, 2006

Frkzd posted:

I've REALLY wanted to play this game. It's been the only title I followed pre-release since FFXIV. Alas, I missed out on preorder collector's edition bundle because I couldn't afford it while it was available, and now have less interest due to (what I hear of) it's gameplay similarities to Assassin's Creed in terms of storyline objectives, side quests, exploration, etc. Besides, I'm getting ever more annoyed at having to pay subscription (internet) upon subscription (game/console) upon subscription (season pass), but I suppose I should just come to terms with the trend.

Granted, it's Ubisoft, and I've yet to experience a developer/publisher that does well with variety. But exactly how similar is WD to AC? Please tell me there aren't exploration points that unlock additional parts of the city map and the laughable ability to ditch pursuers by jumping in a trashcan...

It plays a little closer to Far Cry 3 than AC I think, but yeah that still means it's Ubisoft as all heck. The map's open from the start though, and you mainly deal with pursuers by blowing them up.

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

Tempo 119 posted:

It plays a little closer to Far Cry 3 than AC I think, but yeah that still means it's Ubisoft as all heck. The map's open from the start though, and you mainly deal with pursuers by blowing them up.

Really? Because I mainly deal with pursuers by either jumping over a bridge or blowing up a steam pipe. Unless you mean human pursuers, in which case, yes.

Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

Frkzd posted:

It's not really like AC at all, and only kinda like FC3. The closest I would describe it is if you took GTA4 and grafted certain fragments and concepts from FC3 and AC onto it. The only real "Ubisoft open-world game" element are the Reveal Towers and at least for once Ubisoft did a pretty good job integrating the mechanic into the world (it actually makes sense within the game why hacking these towers would reveal content). A lot of the big side content is unlocked just by driving around and having the system alert you to them - I know gang hideouts were like this, although it's possible tower unlocking filled in some blanks. But then again I think the "Ubisoft Game" complaints tend to be really stupid and more for attention than quality so take that as you will.

The game will likely turn into an unbearable slog if you try to 100% it but the answer is to just not do that because there's nothing to gain besides trophies and a few pointless unlocks. I did like 80% of the "content", had fun with most of it (a couple things I should have skipped), thought the story went completely in the wrong direction and largely ignored the most interesting element (which I suspect will be prominent in the inevitable sequels), and will likely buy the sequel. Some of the content that I really enjoyed (like the QR puzzles) other people have posted disliking, and for all I know they really enjoyed the driving checkpoint races that I got sick of fast.

And don't bother with the season pass or worry about preorder poo poo, at least the bonus missions I got on PS4 added nothing of particular value. One set of missions was pretty good as a "best of" compilation of activities but by the time the game ends you'll probably have had your fill.

TheSpiritFox
Jan 4, 2009

I'm just a memory, I can't give you any new information.

Frkzd posted:

Get the game, play the story until the mission "Open your world" and then go do side poo poo and do online poo poo and do all of the convoy side poo poo asap to get a good sniper rifle. Unlock all of your skills and play online until enough people get sick of the game that there's no one to invade anymore and then go play a different game with a good single player and hope they completely abandon the story from this game when they churn out a sequel in a year.

:Edit:

Shamelessly use cheat engine to give yourself infinite talent/upgrade/skill/whatever points and just fill in your whatever points unlock things tree because gently caress rpg elements that are nothing but a gateway to make you wait for things.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

TheSpiritFox posted:

Get the game, play the story until the mission "Open your world" and then go do side poo poo and do online poo poo and do all of the convoy side poo poo asap to get a good sniper rifle. Unlock all of your skills and play online until enough people get sick of the game that there's no one to invade anymore and then go play a different game with a good single player and hope they completely abandon the story from this game when they churn out a sequel in a year.

:Edit:

Shamelessly use cheat engine to give yourself infinite talent/upgrade/skill/whatever points and just fill in your whatever points unlock things tree because gently caress rpg elements that are nothing but a gateway to make you wait for things.

Adding to this, Five and Ten Online Hacking will only give you a pair of crap guns, while a single side mission gang hideout will give you a free AK-47 and a skill point.
Five online TAILING on the other hand (Where you just quietly follow someone without them noticing, unless the 18 ways of them automatically knowing there is an invader crop up), will get you one of the strongest guns in the game. Which is also Silenced. An "SMG" that will show up in your assault rifle tab.
Also, buy the semi-auto grenade launcher from the gun shop. Skip the single shot one, so you don't have to scroll past it every single time in the future.

Two of the most convenient quality of life skill upgrades availible early on, are the ability to passively unlock and deactivate the alarm on any car. Right after the first "ATM theft gives more money" Upgrade, is one that will automatically make a noise and blue box highlight people with signifigant hack goodies even if you do not have your phone out. Cars, Music, system keys, thousands of dollars, sort of auto highlight priority.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

You can't stick IEDs to people.
Why can't you stick IEDs to people?

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

The Lone Badger posted:

You can't stick IEDs to people.
Why can't you stick IEDs to people?

Because that would be fun.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
I think they would notice.

Aiden... is not gentle.

Tempo 119
Apr 17, 2006

Zachack posted:

But then again I think the "Ubisoft Game" complaints tend to be really stupid and more for attention than quality so take that as you will.

It's not necessarily a complaint to say Ubisoft open world games share a lot of common elements. It's entirely up to you whether that adds or subtracts appeal.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

I finally tried poker since I barely know the rules. After getting my rear end handed to me $2 at a time in ghetto garage poker, I went downtown and tried some $100,000 buy-in super stakes and beat everyone on the first try.

e.g. $400,000 bet on one lovely hand? Don't mind if I do

And the death blow

Paul Shaffer was very grumpy. I think I'm a gambling addict now

But seriously the poker is pretty fun. Some actual banter etc. I hate mini-games usually but this game has some good ones.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nibbles!
Jun 26, 2008

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

make australia great again as well please
Is there anything to do with money in the game? Got about 300k and haven't finished Act 1, just been running around doing side stuff. Was going to blow it all on cars if there's nothing worth saving it for?

Oh, and gently caress the extreme drinking game :(

• Locked thread