Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

jsoh posted:

a post mortem for orly: it was bad. the map was bad. goons being stupid and bad at scouting let us sit on 7 of the required 9 throne points to win by just not claiming them. then goons being bad at patrolling and diplomacy let us take 5 more off of them and we only lost two of those 5. w9 centaurs are really strong. revellers are really strong. swarm is really strong. the strongest thing of all is having two neighbours who are planning to do insanely dumb poo poo

Haha looking at the map no one was forting thrones except your team and ours.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheresNoThyme
Nov 23, 2012

amuayse posted:

Iron Blizzard is bullshit

I spent like 10 turns in a game against a friend luring him deep into my territory before casting Vengeful water. He had like thirty black priests total. Every single one of them kills a water elemental in one shot with iron blizzard (lol-magic-beings), with not a single RNG casualty. That was what made me really hate this spell

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?
Conans say: gently caress your dumb magic bullshit.

Someone sprite edit them so they have a shotgun instead of a maul. :v:

I Love You!
Dec 6, 2002

TheresNoThyme posted:

I spent like 10 turns in a game against a friend luring him deep into my territory before casting Vengeful water. He had like thirty black priests total. Every single one of them kills a water elemental in one shot with iron blizzard (lol-magic-beings), with not a single RNG casualty. That was what made me really hate this spell

This only works if you get low level elementals typically, did you have many candles?

I Love You!
Dec 6, 2002

Nuclearmonkee posted:

Haha looking at the map no one was forting thrones except your team and ours.

My income despite having the second most provinces for most of the game was 1k. I never had the option of throning my forts.

I was Order 3 Growth 3

And to respond to jsoh's earlier statement, we could see that you had troops in our borders, the unrest was noticeable, but I couldn't hire troops to patrol and our gem income was garbage as well so summoning wasn't much of an option, so once again, thanks map!

I literally cut all mage and troop production for the last 7-8 turns but never saved up enough to build a structure. And this is with hatwer ceding territory to me to help with my income. We really had absolutely no options.

I Love You! fucked around with this message at 16:42 on Jul 3, 2014

I Love You!
Dec 6, 2002
Reposting grandpa.jpg

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

I Love You! posted:

This only works if you get low level elementals typically, did you have many candles?

If he let 30 Black Priests deep in his territory he didn't for long.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness

TheresNoThyme posted:

Is there anything in the mod inspector that will tell me ahead of time if an immobile pretender chasis can cast teleport or other mobility spells? I kind of assumed that, like the monument, it would be mentioned somewhere in the pretender description, but sure enough my colossal head is not cloud trapezing anywhere and is instead just staring at me... mocking....

No immobile thing can cloud trapeze; the cloud trapeze and faery trod spells do not work on dudes with the #immobile tag. The spell you use to move immobile things around is Teleport and that works on all immobile things except the Monument.

Jabarto
Apr 7, 2007

I could do with your...assistance.
I'm starting to wonder if I'm over-valuing a really high Dom score on my pretenders. I realize there are a lot of variables that determine its worth (how good your sacreds are, how good your priests are, how heavily you invest in scales, etc.), but I always try to go for at least 8 on dormant pretenders and 9 on imprisoned ones as a blanket rule. As an examploe, the Irminsul is my favorite pretender form since it allows for an awesome nature blessing while still having good scales, which are both great for Eriu (my favorite nation). Since they get cheap temples, will dipping down to 8 or even 7 to make way for a better bless/another growth scale hurt me too much as far as propagating scales and not getting trampled by enemy dominion?

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer
You're unlikely to get truly dominion-trampled in MA, except in a game with Asphodel. There aren't very many blood sac nations, and the nations there are tend not to go Dom 10, garbage scales for a massive bless, like EA/LA Mictlan.

7 is usually pretty airtight.

I Love You!
Dec 6, 2002
I disagree 100%. 7 is way too low for any age and you're going to get slaughtered by someone like me who goes hard domspread and nasty globals. I would never, ever consider playing with less than 8 unless I'm asphodel and/or doing some sort of gimmick strat, or a crazy bless rush with the intent of building 20 temples by turn 15.

See my earlier post of grandpa.jpg as a non-blood sac nation, playing AGAINST several blood sac nations, for why high domscore is mandatory.

Smerdyakov
Jul 8, 2008

jsoh posted:

a post mortem for orly: it was bad. the map was bad. goons being stupid and bad at scouting let us sit on 7 of the required 9 throne points to win by just not claiming them. then goons being bad at patrolling and diplomacy let us take 5 more off of them and we only lost two of those 5. w9 centaurs are really strong. revellers are really strong. swarm is really strong. the strongest thing of all is having two neighbours who are planning to do insanely dumb poo poo

The thrones issue keeps recurring, and I still believe it's primarily a metagame/loving noob issue. People are used to playing games with essentially 100% thrones required to win, so they don't build forts or contest thrones when a team is getting close, as ya'll obviously were after the last few turns. Next horrible game I make will be called WATCH THE THRONES and it'll require capping 33% of the thrones to win.

I would still much rather have your team win than the nefelheim who did nothing all game but research or the UW nations that were forting up the entire ocean.

tl;dr Don't blame me, I voted for kill ulm.

jsoh
Mar 24, 2007

O Muhammad, I seek your intercession with my Lord for the return of my eyesight

Smerdyakov posted:

The thrones issue keeps recurring, and I still believe it's primarily a metagame/loving noob issue. People are used to playing games with essentially 100% thrones required to win, so they don't build forts or contest thrones when a team is getting close, as ya'll obviously were after the last few turns. Next horrible game I make will be called WATCH THE THRONES and it'll require capping 33% of the thrones to win.

I would still much rather have your team win than the nefelheim who did nothing all game but research or the UW nations that were forting up the entire ocean.

tl;dr Don't blame me, I voted for kill ulm.

we went from 3 points to 9 points to 7 in one turn, then back to 9 on the next one, so its not like just looking at the throne chart would have told anyone anything, The map on the other hand...

jsoh fucked around with this message at 23:54 on Jul 3, 2014

I Love You!
Dec 6, 2002
When the game winners blame the map for the win it's probably the map. Especially when everyone who wasn't in charge of the map tends to agree.

Sorry! At least it is over.

Smerdyakov
Jul 8, 2008

I Love You! posted:

When the game winners blame the map for the win it's probably the map. Especially when everyone who wasn't in charge of the map tends to agree.

Sorry! At least it is over.

Fair enough--will you do the honors of generating and picking the map for the next game? My experience is that no one is happy ever, but apparently the maps I go with are particularly egregious.

Pittsburgh Lambic
Feb 16, 2011

Kitfox88 posted:

Psychological warfare is wrong

Maenads are the end game. Maenads are the counter to all. Tribless jaguar warriors? More maenads until the jaguars are trampled under the stampede. Enemy using massive AoE attacks? More maenads because he can't possibly hit all of them. Grip of Winter? More maenads to end the battle faster before they get nippy in the cold. SC with fear? More maenads and cast Growing Fury too to get them psyched. Every battle should look like this:

Except they're all naked and since you have hideous supply shortages all across your nation they're really loving hungry

(I'm kidding of course)

Pittsburgh Lambic fucked around with this message at 00:53 on Jul 4, 2014

TheresNoThyme
Nov 23, 2012

I Love You! posted:

I was Mictlan so the answer is yes I had many candles (10). I even tried casting wolven winter on my own provinces just to see if ice elementals would do a better job (they didn't). Honestly after the first few turns I stopped watching the 30+ assassinations attempts but he was easily like 60 for 60 on surviving priests.

Neruz posted:

No immobile thing can cloud trapeze; the cloud trapeze and faery trod spells do not work on dudes with the #immobile tag. The spell you use to move immobile things around is Teleport and that works on all immobile things except the Monument.

Thanks this is really helpful.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness
Yeah Iron Blizzard quite effectively counters things like vengeful waters because very few magical beings can eat 30 armor piercing 20 damage projectiles, most of which will hit because short range.

I Love You!
Dec 6, 2002

Neruz posted:

Yeah Iron Blizzard quite effectively counters things like vengeful waters because very few magical beings can eat 30 armor piercing 20 damage projectiles, most of which will hit because short range.

Don't forget the wonderful +precision bonus from blizzard

amuayse
Jul 20, 2013

by exmarx

Change Log for Chocolate Thrones 1.3
Many Thrones set to land to prevent inability to summon/recruit (yes this is also a bug in vanilla)
Throne of War lets you recruit Trolls
Throne of Thorns summons swamp drake
Throne of Flames summons fire drake
Throne of Ice summons ice drake
Throne of Storms summons wyvern
Elemental Thrones now summon only 1 size 4 elemental
Throne of Might summons 2 ogres
Throne of Deeps summons 2 krakens
Throne of Bones summons 2 longdead archers
Throne of Law allows recruitment of Judge
Throne of Zeal allows recruitment of Flagellants
Throne of Pestilence summons 2 Apparations
Throne of Gaia's growth set to 2, summons 2 earth gnomes
Throne of Life's growth set to 1
Throne of Bureacracy allows recruitment of Eunuch and Footmen
Throne of Misfortune's Misfortune set to 1
Outer Throne summons 1 Grey Knight
Throne of Eternal Suffering summons 3 Released Warriors
https://www.dropbox.com/s/78kdk8lcnpu9xqv/Chocolate%20Thrones%201.3.rar

amuayse fucked around with this message at 05:24 on Jul 4, 2014

Samog
Dec 13, 2006
At least I'm not an 07.
orly's map was bad but i wouldn't blame our victory on the map

jsoh
Mar 24, 2007

O Muhammad, I seek your intercession with my Lord for the return of my eyesight
i blame samog

Samog
Dec 13, 2006
At least I'm not an 07.
ty.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax

Jabarto posted:

I'm starting to wonder if I'm over-valuing a really high Dom score on my pretenders.

You mostly play against the AI, right? If so, then yeah you never need to take a high dom pretender for that since it will never really arrange a dom kill or take advantage of nasty dominion related globals in a coordinated way.

Jabarto
Apr 7, 2007

I could do with your...assistance.

The Sharmat posted:

You mostly play against the AI, right? If so, then yeah you never need to take a high dom pretender for that since it will never really arrange a dom kill or take advantage of nasty dominion related globals in a coordinated way.

I'd still be curious about multiplayer opinions on the issue, too.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

In my infinite wisdom I've been domkilled in an AI game before. In my defense, like 2-3 nations were keeping me from getting off of a peninsula so I could actually do something about the one building temples on half of the map, but hey. It's not exactly a normal occurrence, though, so don't expect an AI game to teach you anything worth a poo poo.

TheDemon
Dec 11, 2006

...on the plus side I'm feeling much more angry now than I expected so this totally helps me get in character.
I'm ok with taking Dom7 too. It's risky, but you can still crank up the dominion pushback later if your build lets you go through early game. The main disadvantage is priests need a holy point now, so for bless strats you actually need more holy than you used to.

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

Posting to verify goondom. Hoping to join a newbie game, I've only played against AI so far (and one brief game against two friends, one who was playing a lot longer than me and stomped me with Ulm, and the other who had no idea what they were doing and had like 3 provinces on turn 30).

Have Some Flowers!
Aug 27, 2004
Hey, I've got Navigate...

Jabarto posted:

I'd still be curious about multiplayer opinions on the issue, too.
Right now in large multiplayer games (giant ffas or disciples games), I feel like Dom9 or even 10 is the way to go. There's been sort of a dominion arms race where everyone keeps revving it up. In large FFA/Disciples games (that don't end early to a throne win), it's common for the games to go long and for people to reach hostile dominion globals (Vengeful Waters, Dark Skies). It is really difficult to fight against this if you need 10-15 more temples than the guy doing it. It is way easier for him to break your temples in this situation than vice versa.

The big thing I think people neglect is that it's not just your dominion vs the dompusher. If you're killing your neighbors and they can't devote resources to temples, the dompusher's candles are going to pool up over your neighbors and envelop you. Even if the temple scores are close, now your candles are having to deal with 2-3x as many. And that's in a -good- situation where you have a similar temple strength as he does.

High dominion also enables many strategies, like using Immortal units aggressively, or attacking under the cover of Gift of Health. It's important if your nation needs Heat Scales or Cold Scales in combat - taking cold blooded troops into frozen dom sucks, for instance. And of course Awe on your awake pretender is a nice bonus in early expansion and wars, too.

Dominion also gives you some basic scouting information which is really important for staying safe and avoiding surprises.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

The Sharmat posted:

It can happen: Back in the day of Dominions 3, long before I even joined SA, I accidentally killed of my last AI-enemy on the map with a domkill. The funny thing is, I didn't even knew about domkills at the time, so I was pretty confused when I suddenly won with only half the map conquered. :v:

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

I Love You! posted:

Don't forget the wonderful +precision bonus from blizzard

Someone start up another MA game, I have a new gimmick to try.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness

Kitfox88 posted:

Someone start up another MA game, I have a new gimmick to try.

Precision 21 Iron Blizzard; nailing dudes with all 20 needles in the same eye.

I Love You!
Dec 6, 2002

Neruz posted:

Precision 21 Iron Blizzard; nailing dudes with all 20 needles in the same eye.

You mean 30+ needles.

And Kitfox you should definitely do that even though all 30 needles already hit their marks

GenericOverusedName
Nov 24, 2009

KUVA TEAM EPIC
I really want to get back into this game but I always feel like I am horrible poo poo at it and am tempted to go AI once the initial excitement of a new game and plan wears off and I start getting curb stomped.

I guess what I want is psychological advice? I feel like I am approaching this game the wrong way.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

I Love You! posted:

You mean 30+ needles.

And Kitfox you should definitely do that even though all 30 needles already hit their marks

Is it so wrong to want 2 Priest Smiths to one shot an SC chassis together? Is it, ilu?

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

:v:

GenericOverusedName posted:

I really want to get back into this game but I always feel like I am horrible poo poo at it and am tempted to go AI once the initial excitement of a new game and plan wears off and I start getting curb stomped.

I guess what I want is psychological advice? I feel like I am approaching this game the wrong way.

Go in expecting to lose, but also to learn poo poo on the way. Then make sure you actually learn poo poo. Get in IRC and make sure that when you're not sure about something, you ask about it. "Why did I get owned by X assassin? How do I stop getting owned by Y army? How do I beat poisonous dom?" IRC guys are really cool about answering any and all questions, no matter how trivial or dumb.

Moreover, when everything seems like it's going to hell, try pulling some crazy bullshit out of nowhere to deal with it. For example: I'm getting double-teamed in one of my games (my first goon game, actually). Desperation has lead me to try a whole bunch of different strategies that were really fun to put into action, and discover a whole bunch of weaknesses in my initial strategy that are already helping me out in the second game I joined.

Sixfools
Aug 27, 2005

You be the Moon,
I'll be the Earth
And when we burst
Start over, oh, darling
This game is such a horrible time sink.

I'm getting back into it and relearning things coming from dominions 3. After a number of restarts trying out pretenders with marveni on the dawn of dominions map (wild one, ghost dad, in different flavours of SC or rainbow) I finally am having in success with a 2fire 9 blood Blood fountain but I'm not sure of what my long term game plan should be for it. I currently am trying to summon arch fiends and troll kings, and crusher constructs as much as possible

DarkAvenger211
Jun 29, 2011

Damnit Steve, you know I'm a sucker for Back to the Future references.

If I'm getting my poo poo wrecked, It's not usually too hard to bottle up in a fort and pull off some crazy insane army destroying battles. I usually feel at that point there's no way in hell I'm winning, but at least I can gently caress up the guy who's doing it to me right now, right? I always have fun going into battles where all my mages are packed with gems for one final fight.

I guess just think like ChickenWing said, don't go in expecting to win. Hell I go in with the intention of trying different stuff, and not necessarily winning at all.

I Love You!
Dec 6, 2002

DarkAvenger211 posted:

If I'm getting my poo poo wrecked, It's not usually too hard to bottle up in a fort and pull off some crazy insane army destroying battles. I usually feel at that point there's no way in hell I'm winning, but at least I can gently caress up the guy who's doing it to me right now, right? I always have fun going into battles where all my mages are packed with gems for one final fight.

I guess just think like ChickenWing said, don't go in expecting to win. Hell I go in with the intention of trying different stuff, and not necessarily winning at all.

It's amazing what an army can do when the mages all bring gems along to the knifefight. Seriously people bring gems to big battles and watch amazing things happen!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Have Some Flowers!
Aug 27, 2004
Hey, I've got Navigate...

My suggestions would be:
  • Focus on the early game. The cool crazy stuff in the mid-late game doesn't happen if you don't survive and thrive early on
  • If someone rushes you early, contact their neighbors (not your neighbors, they'll pile on) to get help. No one wants to see someone get huge and fat for free, and armies in your territory means someone else has an opportunity to hit them back.
  • Stick around, fight to the bitter end. If you get a reputation for AI'ing out, people will gun for you early as easy money. You'll learn stuff doing more with less. Force someone to commit totally to killing you - you never know if they're being attacked from behind and can't reinforce their siege, giving you an opportunity to break out.

• Locked thread