Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Konrad
Jul 17, 2002

Every stop I get to I'm clocking that game
My Miata has a June 1989 build date, but I can't get antique plates in New Hampshire until December 2015. Apparently they grant them on the 26th year of the model year. :saddowns:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
I'm really curious what effects that plate has on insurance. We're already paying a ridiculously cheap price (250/6 months for the E36+MSM, full coverage on the MSM). I can't imagine it dropping much lower than that.

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

I thought antique plates were a limited use thing. You're only supposed to drive it to shows and the like. If you want to daily it, you need proper tags and inspection. This might only be Virginia though.

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
They are. But we have more than one car and I work from home.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Boogalo posted:

I thought antique plates were a limited use thing. You're only supposed to drive it to shows and the like. If you want to daily it, you need proper tags and inspection. This might only be Virginia though.

I know that in Texas, we have both "Antique" and "Classic" plates for cars at least 25 years old. A coworker of mine DDs an 80s 911 on Classic plates, so you can definitely put miles on with them.

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

Just like everything else car related, Virginia is super strict.

http://www.dmv.org/va-virginia/license-plates.php#-Antique-Plates-

It looks like one could at least get antique plates, get registered and inspected, and not have to put the front plate on anymore.

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

In PA the antique plates go into effect at 25, also with no renewals and no mandatory state inspection. All you need is to send a couple pics of it along with the form and boom!

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

TheNothingNew posted:

I come again, asking for help. 1995 1.8L NA.

Rainstorm started, so I closed the soft top with a little more violence than necessary and broke a plastic nubbin.

Okay, when you close the top, there are two latches, but to align the latches there are two tabs that go into two slots, one on each side of the car. The tabs have lovely plastic covers, and I broke one of those. Anyone know where I can get one (or more, since this is likely to happen again)?

Not 100% these exist on a stock car, this soft top is aftermarket, I think. No zipper, glass rear window with defrost lines. I haven't seen a name on it anywhere, though.

This thing?

http://parts.arlingtonmazda.com/products/CAP-%28NA01%252dR1%252d311%29.html

mags
May 30, 2008

I am a congenital optimist.

CAT BRUSH posted:

It was recommended that I post here so here goes... Just bought my 1992 Miata back from my Dad. He couldn't keep up with the preventative maintenance so I took it back to keep it in the family since it pained me to see it go. I was the second owner and am now the fourth. I bought it the first time for $4800, and that was in 2003. Now, over ten years later, I got it back. Three years until it can get an antique plate and at 125000 original miles it still drives and sounds great. Pics forthcoming if you guys are interested.

I'm so excited to have it back.

When the weather improves I'll have more pics to share. So far this is the pic my Dad had taken before I took it off his hands, when he was preparing to list it for sale.

He repainted it to the original red, and disabled the poorly installed security system the previous owner had installed, replaced the clutch and flywheel, installed a rollbar, and replaced the soft top, among other things. He also kept it in a garage for the entirety of the 11 years he owned it.

revmoo posted:

What's up 1992 buddy waiting out the clock on antique plates!

Our local government has started jacking up registration fees on 90s cars because people are poor and not buying new cars anymore. Antique plates here don't have to be renewed.

I believe FL has a distinction between classic and antique plates, so I may go with the former one. I am also sure both have a heavy mileage restriction but this will not be a road trip car so I'm not anticipating putting many miles on it.

AF
Oct 8, 2007
hi
Man that thing looks good. I'd ditch the fogs and the wheels if possible. Definitely realign the headlight covers (pop hood and give covers a tug on the inner corners until they line up with the hood again)

mags
May 30, 2008

AF posted:

Man that thing looks good. I'd ditch the fogs and the wheels if possible. Definitely adjust the headlight covers (pop hood and give covers a tug on the inner corners until they line up with the hood again)

Yeah I was thinking of getting rid of the fog lamps. I drove it home last night down US1 through some of TS Arthur's rain bands and the fog lamps weren't even helpful. My dad installed halogen bulbs and those were plenty of illumination on the road.

TheNothingNew
Nov 10, 2008

That's the thing. "Latch nipple guide." Got it.

Thanks much.

Holy crap, 99 cents for a drain plug washer? Local dealer wanted $3 each.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
The 2016 MX-5 will debut Sept 3rd

http://jalopnik.com/omg-2016-mazda-miata-to-debut-september-3rd-1599540050

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Mark Booth was right.

FatCow
Apr 22, 2002
I MAP THE FUCK OUT OF PEOPLE
I can't wait for 2031, because that's when I'll actually own one.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
Well the 2006s are starting to drop into my bottom feeder price point so I should have one in 2028 if I don't get too fat.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Yeah cool maybe I can afford one when my 6 yr old son graduates from college :smith:

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

My new 08 miata is amazing, but there is no sound coming out of the back speaker panels. Are there actually possibly shorted out speakers in there or was that an option? Anybody thrown together a cheap aux in port?

Also

can I supercharge this car

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

Phone posted:

like how many tires am I going to ruin doing this... nevermind, I have to.. I have to

one day in and I now think it should be illegal to not own a RWD roadster

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
No, don't force everyone to drive these things. Then everyone will be happy.

Also tires are just solidified fun. Fuel is liquid fun.

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

http://philadelphia.craigslist.org/cto/4536505644.html

This is too tempting to buy and flip. Or keep if I didn't already have one.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

ethanol posted:

like how many tires am I going to ruin doing this... nevermind, I have to.. I have to

one day in and I now think it should be illegal to not own a RWD roadster

You can DD a set of sticky summer tires for a year and change. The Miata is really, really easy on tires.

FatCow
Apr 22, 2002
I MAP THE FUCK OUT OF PEOPLE
What's all this about tires?

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

Looks like I need an extra pair of tires and an extra miata as well

televiper
Feb 12, 2007

ethanol posted:

My new 08 miata is amazing, but there is no sound coming out of the back speaker panels. Are there actually possibly shorted out speakers in there or was that an option?

Probably not there. For an 08, I think they were only used with the Bose setup.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

If your Miata has a Bose system in it and you actually enjoy listening to music, remove everything Bose related and start over.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

leica posted:

If your Miata has a Bose system in it and you actually enjoy listening to music, remove everything Bose related and start over.

It seems like overkill to replace the head unit and all the speakers for a car that will never have the greatest acoustics. The Bose system isn't great but it's not bad enough for me to swap it all.

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
If you're installing aftermarket audio in a Miata, you're doing it wrong.

IronCastKnight
Jul 27, 2013
I've been feeling tempted to put one of those nifty touchscreen double DIN head units and a few more speakers in my Miata, mostly for the in-dash GPS because I can't find my rear end with two flashlights and a copy of Gray's Anatomy most of the time, and also I can barely actually hear the radio with the top down.

I should probably look into headrest speakers, when I think about it.

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you

revmoo posted:

Engine sounds are the best road music, especially when your cruising RPM is north of 4K :getin:

Nodoze fucked around with this message at 17:40 on Jul 4, 2014

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
I need to get IEMs made because I don't want permanent hearing loss. :(

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Rev the nuts off it all day errryday.

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

The stock Pioneer system in my 97 M is actually really drat good. Headrest speakers are useless, but you get a surprising amount of bass, volume, and clarity out of the door speakers, even with the top down.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

revmoo posted:

Don't be daft. If you do it the right way, and if you actually care about car audio, you can install a good sounding aftermarket system for not a whole lot of money. I'm getting ready to do an install on mine here soon and I'll post the process, there's a few tricks to getting good sound in a Miata.

Of course if you like the sound of exhaust pipes better then don't even bother.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
I don't have a particularly strong opinion on the stock stereo (besides its lack of a reasonable aux input :argh:), but the main problem is that I can't hear poo poo above city-street speeds unless I really crank up the volume. At which point I'm probably risking hearing damage on longer trips. The last time I did that, I just used my IEMs to listen directly from my phone. Hardly ideal, but at least I could hear more music than wind noise and didn't go deaf.

Bulk Vanderhuge
May 2, 2009

womp womp womp womp

Phone posted:

I need to get IEMs made because I don't want permanent hearing loss. :(

I have a pair of etymotic earplugs and I'm planning on amplifying the door speakers and a slim sub. More power is always the right answer.

mags
May 30, 2008

I like a good amount of music in the background over my engine and road noise as I throw my miata around a sharp corner.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Bulk Vanderhuge posted:

More power is always the right answer.

Pretty much this. I got a good pair of Alpine door speakers with a high RMS rating, and I'm going to seal up the doors really good, basically making an "enclosure" out of them and see how that goes. I'm hoping I won't have to add a sub. Combined with Clearwater speakers in the head rests, it should sound pretty drat good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tanz-Kommandant
Dec 25, 2009

Radio Message from HQ:
Dance Commander
:h:WE LOVE YOU:h:
Has anyone ever attempted to repair or replace the rear wind deflector on a NC? Is it even worth it? You can get aftermarket ones for like $120-$200 iirc.