Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PatMarshall
Apr 6, 2009

Isn't a rob roy made with sweet vermouth?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

Yes, a Rob Roy is a Manhattan with Scotch instead of rye.

NIGARS
Sep 12, 2004

yeah nigars

PatMarshall posted:

I've never heard of an old fashioned made with blended scotch, but I guess it might work?

This is why I ask! Ok, down to bourbon or rye.

quote:

I like to make them with Rittenhouse Rye, but bourbon is more traditional. ... Is there a bourbon you like? I would buy a bottle and make old fashioned cocktails with that bottle. If not, Rittenhouse or Turkey are both inexpensive and shouldn't disappoint. If you don't want to taste first at a bar, I'd just pick up whichever is on sale.

I've really never drunk bourbon or rye before ever. I live in New Zealand and it's just not a thing, at least amongst my friends. I suspect I'm just overthinking it and either would work well. Rye sounds more exciting (spicier?) but the Wild Turkey is a bit cheaper and a bit easier to find so I might go for that.

quote:

Rum also works really well.

I have some rum, bitters and simple syrup around so gave this a go. Really not bad at all. Too sweet, but that's not unexpected with rum, especially as the one I have isn't exactly dry.

Thanks for the help.

zmcnulty posted:

Why are you forcing yourself to acquire a taste for Old Fashioneds, are you an old man who decided he wasn't old-manish enough so needs to step up his game? Surely there are other old man cocktails that you already enjoy.

Fair question. I'm not an old man - I've just developed a recent desire to step up my game from "spirit + mixer" and try out some of the classics. I'm really not expecting to have to force myself to enjoy an Old Fashioned - I just think that as a total neophyte I'm not going to be able to decide between rye and bourbon as my preferred type of brown from having a single drink of either, and am conscious of the fact that for the price of 3-4 drinks in a bar I can get myself a nice bottle.

cbirdsong
Sep 8, 2004

Commodore of the Apocalypso
Lipstick Apathy

NIGARS posted:

I have some rum, bitters and simple syrup around so gave this a go. Really not bad at all. Too sweet, but that's not unexpected with rum, especially as the one I have isn't exactly dry.

What kind of rum? Some of them definitely work better in old fashioneds than others.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

My first Old Fashioneds were on the sweet side. They got progressively drier for a couple years, but since then I've increased the sugar again. An Old Fashioned should be pleasurable, and easy. It should not be difficult to drink. The best cocktails should be sessionable and moreish. Don't wear out your palate with too much spirit heat. It's best to not be sticky sweet, but sugar is your ally.

NIGARS
Sep 12, 2004

yeah nigars

cbirdsong posted:

What kind of rum? Some of them definitely work better in old fashioneds than others.

Can't really compare it to anything - it's a very small-scale NZ local. It's on the light, sweet and vanillaed side. I usually drink it in ginger beer. Not ideal in an Old Fashioned but I think with a bit less added sugar it could work in a pinch.

Kenning posted:

My first Old Fashioneds were on the sweet side. They got progressively drier for a couple years, but since then I've increased the sugar again. An Old Fashioned should be pleasurable, and easy. It should not be difficult to drink. The best cocktails should be sessionable and moreish. Don't wear out your palate with too much spirit heat. It's best to not be sticky sweet, but sugar is your ally.

Thanks, this is useful in knowing what to aim for. I'll report back once I've picked up some Wild Turkey 101.

Comb Your Beard
Sep 28, 2007

Chillin' like a villian.
If you want to get unorthodox with an Old Fashioned, make your own flavored simple syrup! Lots of possibilities and no worries about dissolving sugar. I like Thyme, it's subtle.

Wungus
Mar 5, 2004

I like ginger syrup; it's not at all subtle, but having it on hand makes for an amazing group of cocktail modifications.

gohuskies
Oct 23, 2010

I spend a lot of time making posts to justify why I'm not a self centered shithead that just wants to act like COVID isn't a thing.
You can also use St. Germain elderflower liqueur instead of syrup in an Old-Fashioned. Use a little bit more St. Germain than you would syrup, it adds an extra little interesting flavor but doesn't overpower the spirit.

pgroce
Oct 24, 2002

Comb Your Beard posted:

I like Thyme, it's subtle.

Whalley posted:

I like ginger syrup; it's not at all subtle

Had a mocktail with both of these in it the other day, and they work really well together -- the ginger makes the thyme more assertive, if that makes any sense. I'm gonna make a lemon- or pineapple-gin drink with it in the near future, I think.

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

Way behind in the thread, but I had money in my pocket and unsurprisingly hit up the likker stoah:

Ayup. Now to find out how I want to use it.

And Tractor Supply carries Case, so a peanut was needed to go with my liquor :v:

E: Fiery and very much influenced by London dry in its botanicals. The flavor is strong enough to should stand up to some hearty ingredients, but the fire is too much for a martini. And you will want to tweak whatever recipe you include it in as it has cardamom playing clearly through the front row of juniper/citrus rind/florals. Makes a nice if different gin and tonic which does benefit from some lime. And I imagine berries would also play well. May save a bottle for a strawberry infusion to serve around Christmastime.

Also the potato base does manage to quietly make itself known despite the other strong flavors when sampled straight.

I like it but won't go through a bunch of it. A nice variation like Hendrick's can be to play with.

Butch Cassidy fucked around with this message at 00:25 on Jun 15, 2014

Beardless
Aug 12, 2011

I am Centurion Titus Polonius. And the only trouble I've had is that nobody seem to realize that I'm their superior officer.
Make a Ginger Buck with that.

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

You know holiday time cranberry ginger ale? Picture a strawberry infused gin with ginger beer. And the color would be more appropriate for a "ginger buck" :getin: Crap, now I want to cranberry infuse some Seagrams to try, as well.

I also plan to try it in a New Englander as the cardamom should play very well with Worchesershire.

angor
Nov 14, 2003
teen angst
Made a negroni with equal parts Campari, Tanqueray, and Dolin Rouge. Ohmygod so good.

NIGARS
Sep 12, 2004

yeah nigars

NIGARS posted:

I'll report back once I've picked up some Wild Turkey 101.

As promised!

This makes an awful lot more sense. It's still sweet, but balanced much better by the fiery dryness of the bourbon on the back half of the sip. I think it would be even better with a bit more spiciness, so I'll get some rye at some point to try too.

What a nice drink.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:
So, I whipped up this little baby during the forum outage. I call it the poached pear.
3:1 Pear Eau De vie:Galliano.

THoughts?

Chuck Biscuits
Dec 5, 2004

That sounds interesting. What did you think of it? I have a bottle of Galliano that I probably only use once a year that needs some attention.

slut chan
Nov 30, 2006
Speaking of bottles that are only used once a year, I have a one of Lillet Blanc. Anything worth making?

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008

slut chan posted:

Speaking of bottles that are only used once a year, I have a one of Lillet Blanc. Anything worth making?

If it's already open, vespers. If not, throw a party with Lillet spritzer so as an aperitif.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

Uh, corpse revivers. Just make a pile of corpse revivers.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Uh, silliness. A friend is moving and gifted me with the last sip of a Disaronno bottle and the last few sips of a Chambord bottle. What should I do with them? Anything? Just drink em straight? Over ice? Or are there any good drinks using small amounts of one or the other?

zmcnulty
Jul 26, 2003

Flaming Dr Pepper and go heavy on the 151

No need to be snobby

Klauser
Feb 24, 2006
You got a dick with that problem!?!
I made a strawberry syrup and a rhubarb syrup. I have just been shaking them up with some kind of citrus and a light booze like pisco, cachaca, etc. They have been great but is there anything dark I can stir up with either of them? I had a great drink in Providence that had rhubarb and maybe cognac in it (I asked, and then promptly forgot). I tried making something with rye and the rhubarb but it didn't come out great.

KitConstantine
Jan 11, 2013

New liquor store in town and I'm testing some of the product out. I went in and saw a bottle I've never seen before, Cruzan Blackstrap Rum. So I went with a classic. Ginger beer, lime, bitters.

So good. Spicy with a molasses sweetness and flavor. I love when cheap liquor turns out to be tasty.

The Hebug
May 24, 2004
I am a bug...

I've heard good things about Cruzan Blackstrap as one of the only offerings for blackstrap rum and would pick up a bottle if I saw one. You should try it in a Jungle Bird.

KitConstantine
Jan 11, 2013

The Hebug posted:

I've heard good things about Cruzan Blackstrap as one of the only offerings for blackstrap rum and would pick up a bottle if I saw one. You should try it in a Jungle Bird.

That sounds really good! I love pineapple and rum together, and I think that the blackstrap rum would be really good with it. I even have a copper cup I picked up along with a set of two fancy bitters things at some cooking store. That cup owns.

cbirdsong
Sep 8, 2004

Commodore of the Apocalypso
Lipstick Apathy
I recommend using Cruzan Black Strap instead of vodka when making a white russian.

Slimchandi
May 13, 2005
That finger on your temple is the barrel of my raygun

slut chan posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7vQ5eRv7N9g

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

The Hebug posted:

The Blackstrap would be nice enough in a Jungle Bird, but really you can't beat Coruba for that sort of application.

Allantois
May 18, 2006
Aint nuttin but a RadioSkank
Just mixed an Irish Manhattan using Bushmills 10 and the new Dolin Vermouth (new to me) that I heard good things about.
I was expecting it to be good but it was surprisingly very very excellent.

1.5 oz Bushmills 10yo
0.25 oz Dolin Vermouth de Chambéry Rouge
splash of Angostura Bitters

Allantois fucked around with this message at 22:32 on Jun 28, 2014

The Maestro
Feb 21, 2006
That feeling at the beginning of dinner rush when a group of 10 walk up to the bar and order a round of pisco sours...and then 4 more...and then a ticket comes in for 6 more...at least the patrons were cheering us on

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

The Maestro posted:

That feeling at the beginning of dinner rush when a group of 10 walk up to the bar and order a round of pisco sours...and then 4 more...and then a ticket comes in for 6 more...at least the patrons were cheering us on

What feeling? Cause, drat, pisco sours are so great.

The Maestro
Feb 21, 2006

silvergoose posted:

What feeling? Cause, drat, pisco sours are so great.

Uhh, shaking literally 20 pisco sours

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008
Break a ramos in the middle of two rounds and then come crying back to us.

Slimchandi
May 13, 2005
That finger on your temple is the barrel of my raygun
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VuTDnk8mdRM

A really interesting documentary from last year. Apologies if it's a repost but hadn't seen it here yet.

TapTheForwardAssist
Apr 9, 2007

Pretty Little Lyres
Going to a friend's rooftop party to make fireworks. I've made punches for all his parties I've been to, and am under standing request to bring a punch to any his parties. I try to make something a little different each time, and a few have been great (mainly classics like United Service) and a few were just okay (clementine/tea/Dubonnet Rouge/galangal) but the crowd has loved them and killed two carafes every time.

Today I'm deviating slightly from "پنج (panj) means five, punch has five ingredients" rule, going with following:

- Pineapple juice (bottled, meh)
- Dry sherry
- Small bits of homemade lime-cello that was too bitter to serve straight
- Rooibos tea reduction (so as not to add too much wateriness) with gum arabic for mouth-feel
- Basil leaves steeping in pineapple juice for hours
- Sugar to taste
- Depending on space left in carafe, sparkling water
- Shaved cucumbers over top shortly before serving.

I debated trying to make homemade orgeat to add to it, but a) it turns out it takes hours to let the ingredients process b) I need to leave well enough alone and not "guild the lily".

TapTheForwardAssist fucked around with this message at 20:19 on Jul 4, 2014

Klauser
Feb 24, 2006
You got a dick with that problem!?!

TapTheForwardAssist posted:

I debated trying to make homemade orgeat to add to it, but a) it turns out it takes hours to let the ingredients process b) I need to leave well enough alone and not "guild the lily".

I have a great orgeat recipe given to me by Theo Lieberman. It's easy and fast, you just need to simmer until the sugar is dissolved, cool, and it's good to go.

32oz unsweetened (organic) almond milk
64oz sugar
.5oz orange blossom water
.75oz almond extract
1oz Amaretto

Scale as needed.

angor
Nov 14, 2003
teen angst
Did a little experiment yesterday. Made an old fashioned with Angostura 1919, demerara sugar, Angostura bitters, and splash of orange blossom water.

Probably one of the best drinks I've ever personally made.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Hebug
May 24, 2004
I am a bug...

A properly made Rum Old-Fashioned rocks.

An interesting twist is the Bumbo which omits the bitters and is instead topped with some fresh grated nutmeg.