Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.

aers posted:

Holy poo poo the official subs are loving AWFUL lmao.

Heads up: Crunchyroll and Hulu's broadcast do not have an episode 2 preview. Nicovideo does.

http://www.nicovideo.jp/watch/1404364425

You'll have to let the video load the full way to skip to the end. Preview looks good, it has a way better animation director than the first episode (you can tell the character designs look better).

I'm assuming the subs on all the sites are the same?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

aers
Feb 15, 2012

Yes. They're all awful. They're like.. Hong Kong-tier.

aers
Feb 15, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MEPcAZ8Vi94

Preview for episode 2.

Robviously
Aug 21, 2010

Genius. Billionaire. Playboy. Philanthropist.

If it gets better than this episode I might die of nostalgia. The backgrounds are just gorgeous and it literally felt like watching the manga get animated. I can't wait to see it all and the fact we need to wait 2 weeks is fine by me if the art stays like this/gets better.

Edit:

aers posted:

Yes. They're all awful. They're like.. Hong Kong-tier.

Them insisting that Youma translates just as "Evil" gave me flashbacks to watching terrible VHS fansubs in the late 90s.

Robviously fucked around with this message at 12:56 on Jul 5, 2014

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
That was a pretty killer guitar solo in the OP.

boredsatellite
Dec 7, 2013

Episode was good, but man I'm no expert at Japanese but I think this show needs needs a better subber. Those were some questionable stuff

aers
Feb 15, 2012

There are translation errors but there's also basic English errors, like

aers fucked around with this message at 14:07 on Jul 5, 2014

CherryCat
Feb 21, 2011

That's a strawberry.

College Slice
That first episode was just gorgeous, cannot wait for the next one. The nostalgia is so overwhelming and I love it.

hallo spacedog
Apr 3, 2007

this chaos is killing me
💫🐕🔪😱😱

I had basically very low hopes for this show in the first place and especially after seeing that trailer a week or two ago but... this actually was pretty decent. The animation was much better than the trailer would have you believe. The only major design decision I completely dislike is the CG transformation. The colored outlines add a really nice touch to the show, and the pastel-ish colors work well here.

I'm happy that Mitsuishi Kotono is back, but a little disappointed Furuya Tooru isn't.

Snow Halation
Dec 29, 2008

It was a really good episode. My only complaints are the CG transformation sequence, and that Umino's voice sounds too normal.

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

So is this just on Crunchyroll and Hulu? Seems like it's just not available in Europe.

ALFbrot
Apr 17, 2002

aers posted:

There are translation errors but there's also basic English errors, like

For what it's worth, I don't believe "Cat can talk?" shows up in the version I saw on Hulu.

edit: welp, yeah it did say "Cat can talk," I just remembered it differently because that's pretty bad.

a cartoon duck posted:

So is this just on Crunchyroll and Hulu? Seems like it's just not available in Europe.
Should be available on NicoNico

ALFbrot fucked around with this message at 16:00 on Jul 5, 2014

aers
Feb 15, 2012

Pretty sure Nico did the subbing and gave it to everyone else.

Viola the Mad
Feb 13, 2010
I never watched Sailor Moon as a kid, so though I know the show's basics I'm going in mostly blind. This episode was a decent pilot, but it hasn't grabbed me yet. I'm looking forward to the over-arching story, though, so I'm holding judgement until we're a few more episodes in.

That transformation sequence gives me the creeps, though. Why are Usagi's limbs so skinny?

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Not having seen Sailor Moon since the last time I saw the dub when I was like... 7, this seemed fine to me at least! Though I am quickly remembering why Moon was always the lamest of the main 5 (I don't think I watched enough to ever meet the Outers as a kid so I've no opinion on them at all).

More importantly though
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wzD23IPuH3w

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

The characters have really huge dead eyes and its freaking me the gently caress out whenever they talk. :(

planetarial
Oct 19, 2012
This was pretty great except for the already mentioned issues regarding the official translation (which I can't believe they would allow something like that to pass QC) and CG transformation. And Kotone felt like she was almost straining her voice at times. Also I loved the eyecatches since they reminded me of Utena's style.

hallo spacedog
Apr 3, 2007

this chaos is killing me
💫🐕🔪😱😱

Rodyle posted:

Not having seen Sailor Moon since the last time I saw the dub when I was like... 7, this seemed fine to me at least! Though I am quickly remembering why Moon was always the lamest of the main 5 (I don't think I watched enough to ever meet the Outers as a kid so I've no opinion on them at all).

More importantly though
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wzD23IPuH3w

I like the Jojo pt. 3 song way better than the super generic Sailor Moon one, and wish this was true.

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

Fuck the cowboys. Unf. Fuck em hard.

planetarial posted:

This was pretty great except for the already mentioned issues regarding the official translation (which I can't believe they would allow something like that to pass QC) and CG transformation.
I doubt they have any QC for the translation

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

Rodyle posted:

Though I am quickly remembering why Moon was always the lamest of the main 5 (I don't think I watched enough to ever meet the Outers as a kid so I've no opinion on them at all).

Realising that Usagi is the most rad senshi is a very important part of growing up. You'll get there eventually.

Tree Huffer
Jul 26, 2007

dude were so
high right now
hahaha
I think one of the most exciting things about Crystal is being able to see actual chemistry between Usagi and Mamoru. Even when I was growing up, I felt like they hated each other and then suddenly decided to be eternal lovers once they found out they were lovers in the past. It's nice to actually have a little bit of banter between Tuxedo Mask and Sailor Moon rather than him throwing a rose and lecturing her.

And that was before I found out about the really creepy age gap thing. Was there a reason they decided to make Mamoru be in college while Usagi was still in junior high school in the anime? It totally upped the creepy factor for their relationship.

jackofarcades
Sep 2, 2011

Okay, I'll admit it took me a bit to get into it... But I think I kinda love this!! I'm Spider-Man!! I'm actually Spider-Man!! HA!

Tree Huffer posted:

I think one of the most exciting things about Crystal is being able to see actual chemistry between Usagi and Mamoru. Even when I was growing up, I felt like they hated each other and then suddenly decided to be eternal lovers once they found out they were lovers in the past. It's nice to actually have a little bit of banter between Tuxedo Mask and Sailor Moon rather than him throwing a rose and lecturing her.

And that was before I found out about the really creepy age gap thing. Was there a reason they decided to make Mamoru be in college while Usagi was still in junior high school in the anime? It totally upped the creepy factor for their relationship.

That age gap poo poo is totally normal in anime and manga. Probably because it's written for 14 year old girls and 14 year old girls love college aged guys.

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

The episode was amazing! I'm so happy this exists.

aers posted:

Holy poo poo the official subs are loving AWFUL lmao.

Heads up: Crunchyroll and Hulu's broadcast do not have an episode 2 preview. Nicovideo does.

http://www.nicovideo.jp/watch/1404364425

You'll have to let the video load the full way to skip to the end. Preview looks good, it has a way better animation director than the first episode (you can tell the character designs look better).

Yeah, even with my limited knowledge of Japanese I knew that the subs were poo poo. Oh well, gotta take what we can get.

planetarial
Oct 19, 2012

Tree Huffer posted:

Was there a reason they decided to make Mamoru be in college while Usagi was still in junior high school in the anime? It totally upped the creepy factor for their relationship.

If I recall correctly they even kept this in the dub which is really bizarre given how heavily censored everything else is.

Death Bear
Apr 1, 2010
The new dub cast has been announced:

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2014-07-05/new-sailor-moon-dub-cast-revealed-at-anime-expo/.76285

quote:

Stephanie Sheh as Usagi Tsukino/Sailor Moon
Kate Higgins as Ami Mizuno/Sailor Mercury
Cristina Vee as Rei Hino/Sailor Mars
Amanda C. Miller as Makoto Kino/Sailor Jupiter
Cherami Leigh as Minako Aino/Sailor Venus
Robbie Daymond as Mamoru Chiba/Tuxedo Mask

Michelle Ruff as Luna
Johnny Yong Bosch as Artemis
Danielle Nicole as Naru Osaka
Ben Diskin as Gurio Umino
Tara Platt as Ikuko Tsukino
Keith Silverstein as Kenji Tsukino
Nicolas Roye as Shingo Tsukino
Cindy Robinson as Queen Beryl
Todd Haberkorn as Jadeite
Liam O'Brien as Nephrite
Lucien Dodge as Zoicite
Patrick Seitz as Kunzite

mateo360
Mar 20, 2012

TOO MANY PEOPLE MERLOCK!
ONLY ONE DIJON!
JYB as Artemis? that is an interesting choice.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story
Having it be closer to the manga is nice but I still can't help but be disappointed that she doesn't have the mask she used in the manga. I mean granted we'd have three masked characters right off the bat and maybe they felt that was a little much, even so I really wish they'd given it to her.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

mateo360 posted:

JYB as Artemis? that is an interesting choice.

His comic (Vash) voice is a perfect fit though.

Vintimus Prime
Apr 24, 2008

DERRRRRPPP what are picture threads for????

Animation is beautiful. Am I the only one who thinks the transformation scene is way longer than the original?

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

No Bryan Massey or Crispin Freeman means yet another skippable dub.

Legs Benedict
Jul 14, 2002

You can either follow me to our bedroom or bend over that control throne because I haven't been this turned on in FOREVER!

Rodyle posted:

No Bryan Massey or Crispin Freeman means yet another skippable dub.

Speaking of which, what does Crispin do these days? I don't seem to see his name around for a lot of shows anymore.

Darksaber
Oct 18, 2001

Are you even trying?

Vintimus Prime posted:

Animation is beautiful. Am I the only one who thinks the transformation scene is way longer than the original?

There was a side by side comparison (just checked, been taken down already) I saw and I think you're right, although I can't remember exactly and now I'm kinda doubting myself.

I just finished watching it and I really enjoyed it. Some of the animation was a bit sketch, and that translation was absolute poo poo, but the episode as a whole left me happy. Maybe someone will pick it up as a scrub or a re-translation.

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

Darksaber posted:

There was a side by side comparison (just checked, been taken down already) I saw and I think you're right, although I can't remember exactly and now I'm kinda doubting myself.

I just finished watching it and I really enjoyed it. Some of the animation was a bit sketch, and that translation was absolute poo poo, but the episode as a whole left me happy. Maybe someone will pick it up as a scrub or a re-translation.

Aers do the needful

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

Darksaber posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g1xXXfvBPc0&t=103s

1:43 here. The new one is a little bit longer.

aers
Feb 15, 2012

Smoking Crow posted:

Aers do the needful

https://twitter.com/Xythar/status/485485017473118208

http://notredrevie.ws/2014/07/05/translation-review-horriblesubs-sailor-moon-crystal-01-crnico/

Violet_Sky
Dec 5, 2011

Fun Shoe
I loved Moon Pride more than I expected. The subs...yeesh. I thought that I watching some godawful fansub at first.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Yeah the subs are pretty bad, desperately need a better (any??) editor. At least it doesn't feel like I missed anything important, but annoying to read nonetheless.

The animation/direction seems a whole lot less dynamic this time around compared to the earlier version (and the manga). No cartoony flash of her skeleton when she Sailor V Kicked the door for example. Also, no rose throwing...c'mon Naoko you know you love roses, have them add that even if you didn't have Tuxedo Mask do that in the manga. :mad:

It was also fun to watch this one since I just watched the first 3 episodes of the original on hulu a week ago, not to mention having read the whole manga fairly recently.

Anyway, it was fun and I'm glad it's coming out and even with my complaints I'm pretty happy with it so far.:sparkles:

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
I'm happy with no rose throwing, as it keeps the focus on Usagi. The reflections in the broken glass is a cool visual substitute, and gave him just enough presence in the scene.

deadly claris
Jan 5, 2007

M'aiq thinks deadly claris is best partner in crime.
The bumpers are gorgeous. The transformation scene is still really disappointing to me and borderline painful. I will probably be skipping it every time. I really liked when the tiara popped off her head and started spinning. "Moon Tiara Boomerang" was nice. The animation looks slightly different. Her eye and face shape aren't quite the same. Maybe I'm just seeing things.

I still don't like the style, but I love the background work and the colours. I do not like that nearly every other character managed to out-emote Usagi. I don't feel connected to her. She feels like someone else's personality in a close friend's body. Maybe she will grow on me.

Poor Tuxedo Mask's one ankle looked a little broken during his dashing exit. >___>

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT
Usagi's voice just sounds awful to me. And I know Kotono Mitsuishi can do better, I really liked her as Peko Pekoyama in Dangan Ronpa 2.

Hopefully that will change as the show goes on and Usagi matures.

• Locked thread