Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

Tarezax posted:

Usagi's voice just sounds awful to me. And I know Kotono Mitsuishi can do better, I really liked her as Peko Pekoyama in Dangan Ronpa 2.

Hopefully that will change as the show goes on and Usagi matures.

uh, that's what usagi sounded like in the original anime

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT

Smoking Crow posted:

gently caress

Maybe I'll get used to it.

RMZXAnarchy
Sep 9, 2011

*Insert Sailor Jupiter joke here*
The Blu-Ray/DVD sets for the first half of the series are now up for preorder.

They'll be out November 11th.

I'm curious as to what the release schedule for these will be, every two months? three months? Hopefully the gaps aren't too long.

I'm very much excited for the new dub. Maybe they'll put some clips up before release?

As for Crystal, a bit sad there's no rose throwing but it wasn't too bad. Hopefully the next episode will improve on the animation though, it was awfully stiff.

A Pinball Wizard
Mar 23, 2005

I know every trick, no freak's gonna beat my hands

College Slice

Violet_Sky posted:

I loved Moon Pride more than I expected. The subs...yeesh. I thought that I watching some godawful fansub at first.

They were just going for the authentic English manga translation experience :v:

ChibiSoma
Apr 13, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Legs Benedict posted:

Speaking of which, what does Crispin do these days? I don't seem to see his name around for a lot of shows anymore.

Dude probably realized he'll never play anything as cool as Straight Cougar again and threw in the towel.

Is there anything Stand Proud can't make better?

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

Smoking Crow posted:

Really the problem is that she's moved from Usagi to "mother" roles like Misato, Murrue Ramius and Sei's mum in Gundam Build Fighters.

Really, they should have recast her or got Megumi Han for Luna and make a deal of her being Keiko Han's kid but she's tapped for precure so... :shrug:

ConanThe3rd fucked around with this message at 23:03 on Jul 5, 2014

keet
Aug 20, 2005

Box of Bunnies posted:

Instead he gets a cool energy attack, light ESP and healing powers.

Hopefully Crystal will be best of both worlds, with him doing the rose thing in the first season and then giving him Tuxedo la Smoking Bomber in the second (assuming it gets a second).

In regards to how he helps the team, "he's basically Lois Lane" is the best description. Having useful but noncombaty powers (think the healy/vision power every shounen protagonists girlfriend seemed to have) actually makes him more interesting because then he isn't yet another generic senshi.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

I definitely like manga (and presumably Crystal) Mamoru better for exactly those reasons, it's just that rose chuckin' is so cool.

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Plaguing your posts with incidental music.
The rose throwing was a cool aesthetic, but I think I am perfectly okay with that strictly having been 'geez, stop crying' rather than a (abstract) physical intervention.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.

deadly claris posted:

The bumpers are gorgeous.

They really are, I love the Ikuhara-esque blacked-out silhouettes.

hallo spacedog posted:

I like the Jojo pt. 3 song way better than the super generic Sailor Moon one, and wish this was true.

I'm not one to give a poo poo about the lyrics of an anime opening but drat, they really layed the "even though we're girls, we're not totally worthless like you would rightly expect as a proper Japanese" poo poo on thick.

Smoking Crow posted:

I watched the poo poo out of the original and she sounds a lot different to me, and not in a good way.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

Legs Benedict posted:

Speaking of which, what does Crispin do these days? I don't seem to see his name around for a lot of shows anymore.
Doing seminars on Mythology because he's a mythology scholar which I did not know existed.

Legs Benedict
Jul 14, 2002

You can either follow me to our bedroom or bend over that control throne because I haven't been this turned on in FOREVER!

achillesforever6 posted:

Doing seminars on Mythology because he's a mythology scholar which I did not know existed.

Aw man. I used to go to his mythology panels at Anime Expo and knew that he was really into it, but I didn't want him to mostly give up voice acting... :sigh:

keet
Aug 20, 2005

XboxPants posted:

I didn't believe you and I looked it up and... huh, I never realized she was really that young. That explains a lot about her and makes her altogether a more likable, though I never hated her or anything to begin with.

(this makes me think of Dawn from Buffy, who originally was supposed to be a little kid like Chibiusa, and even when they ended up casting a teenager as her they didn't rewrite the first few episodes she was in. and so you have a teenager acting like chibiusa which is kinda hilarious)

This was actually a big animation problem apparently. Takeuchi was not initially great with Chibiusa's proportions once she started showing up in costume and she gained like a foot in height in costume, so Toei apparently went somewhere closer to the later design but wanted to keep her the same age for simplicity. IIRC, Hotaru had the same problem where she looked about a 'real' 15 but was like 11, and her height changed depending on which characters she was hanging out with, but they sort of got around it by invoking the age-up voodoo.

And while I dont like little kid sidekick characters as a rule, Chibs's main problem is she's inexplicably cursed with a lot of stupid subplots that she ultimately gets the 'blame' for.

aers posted:

The R movie is a big bundle of Ikuhara and it owns. Also the English dub was released on DVD.

It's great because its not really based on canon and Ikuhara taking a kind of cliche character and going "hey didn't you gloss over this characters entire mental issues kinda quick? Lets go into that" which is pretty standard for him. PGSM basically took that approach writ large.

keet fucked around with this message at 00:34 on Jul 6, 2014

keet
Aug 20, 2005

Snow Halation posted:

It was a really good episode. My only complaints are the CG transformation sequence, and that Umino's voice sounds too normal.

I'm calling it early and noting that while most of the main characters will not be too different, Takeuchi's version of (for lack of a better word) her B-listers like Mamoru, the Outers, and Usagi's early friends are a lot less exaggerated than their anime counterparts. Sometimes it worked, especially for the comic relief, sometimes not (people noting the Outers/Mamoru are kind of proactively dicks in the show for 'simplicity' purposes)

Dove from Above
Apr 16, 2007

Snowy! Have you thought about psittacosis?

Aleksei Vasiliev posted:

I doubt they have any QC for the translation

I used to know a girl who did QC for anime subtitling and she dropped some hints (way back when the new Sailor Moon series was announced, before we knew it would be called Crystal) that she would be working on it. If this was her work either it was a hell of a rushed job, or her standards have dropped.

usb teledildonics
Oct 10, 2009

those who came before me
Those eyecatches are Ikuhara as gently caress and they're FABULOUS.

mateo360
Mar 20, 2012

TOO MANY PEOPLE MERLOCK!
ONLY ONE DIJON!

RMZXAnarchy posted:

The Blu-Ray/DVD sets for the first half of the series are now up for preorder.

They'll be out November 11th.

I'm curious as to what the release schedule for these will be, every two months? three months? Hopefully the gaps aren't too long.

I'm very much excited for the new dub. Maybe they'll put some clips up before release?

As for Crystal, a bit sad there's no rose throwing but it wasn't too bad. Hopefully the next episode will improve on the animation though, it was awfully stiff.

Where? I don't see it on Viz or amazon.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

mateo360 posted:

http://www.rightstuf.com/1-800-338-6827/catalogmgr/5-eIRoRMUleypaTW-X/browse/item/102860/4/0/0

RMZXAnarchy
Sep 9, 2011

mateo360 posted:

Rightstuf has it.

They're also going to give out coins to people who preorder it while the supplies last.
Its like $53 or something though for the BD/DVD set. So if thats what to expect for the other parts in the series it'll be roughly a $500 investment for the entire series, not including the movies.

e:f;b

RMZXAnarchy fucked around with this message at 04:02 on Jul 6, 2014

Snow Halation
Dec 29, 2008

If Crystal continues to follow the manga, I'm going to miss the distinct personalities of the anime villains. Takeuchi was never very good at fleshing out the villains, while it was one of the anime's strong points.

animeluva1
Aug 9, 2003

Hopefully I'll have that
problem someday.
I'm reading the credits, but I have the belief that Naoko had a hand in writing the OP/ED songs. :tinfoil:

I hope that once all of the inners are introduced we can veer off the manga and flesh out the villains and side characters. Or maybe we can get appearances of the minor senshi? I'm thinking of Phobos and Deimos for this season.

Milli
Sep 28, 2009

friendship is magic
in a pony paradise
don't you judge me

I feel like there'd almost have to be a bit of filler, since the original manga is 13 chapters, I think? This still has some extra episodes if they're going for a direct one-to-one adaptation, so hopefully it'll flesh out the girls and some of the villains.

RMZXAnarchy
Sep 9, 2011

Appears to be 12 chapters for everything up to the final fight against Queen Metalia.

Looking at the summary, I didn't realize Jupiter joined before Nephrite's defeat in the Manga. Why couldn't they have gotten her earlier in the original series? Would've made the obvious padding of Nephrite's time as Monster Conjurer all the less dull.

RMZXAnarchy fucked around with this message at 08:16 on Jul 6, 2014

aers
Feb 15, 2012

14 chapters in the re-release where the 100 page chapters were split in half.

If anything I expect episode-wise 1 - Usagi 2 - Ami 3 - Rei 4 - Masquerade 5 - Mako then some original stuff.

The most obvious tell about how they're going to handle expanding it to 26 episodes will be if Jaedite dies in episode 3.

Also its confirmed to only have a single OP and ED so we aren't covering past the first arc.

Dove from Above
Apr 16, 2007

RMZXAnarchy posted:

Appears to be 12 chapters for everything up to the final fight against Queen Metalia.

Looking at the summary, I didn't realize Jupiter joined before Nephrite's defeat in the Manga. Why couldn't they have gotten her earlier in the original series? Would've made the obvious padding of Nephrite's time as Monster Conjurer all the less dull.

It might be because the anime staff didn't have the information about her that they needed in time to do that, so they had to extemporise without doing anything that would gently caress up the main plot until they got the next chunk of information about what Naoko was going to do in the manga. So we get the Naru and Nephrite story - which, for what it's worth, I like. Nephrite's my favourite of the generals, partly because of his fancy hair but primarily because he created such a bizarre cover identity for himself. I mean, he conjured up an entire hillside and gloomy forest with a Gothic mansion in it - no way was he just renting an apartment. And he drove around like a bat out of hell in a blazing red Ferrari, and he draped samples of bridal fabric around his shoulders like a cloak in a sewing store, and he did flips over the fences of tennis courts with his hands in his pockets. It was the most insanely conspicuous secret identity I've ever seen.
Actually, looking over all of that, I wish he could have survived his redemption arc and been pals with Mamoru. They clearly had interests in common.

RMZXAnarchy
Sep 9, 2011

aers posted:

14 chapters in the re-release where the 100 page chapters were split in half.

If anything I expect episode-wise 1 - Usagi 2 - Ami 3 - Rei 4 - Masquerade 5 - Mako then some original stuff.

The most obvious tell about how they're going to handle expanding it to 26 episodes will be if Jaedite dies in episode 3.

Also its confirmed to only have a single OP and ED so we aren't covering past the first arc.

So the Cutie Moon Rod appearing in one of the eyecatches is just there for shits and giggles then? Why even show a piece of weaponry from a later part of the series if they aren't going to use it at all?

And by single OP and ED, do they mean songwise or animation wise as well?

Revolver Bunker
May 12, 2004

「この一撃にかけるっ!」

RMZXAnarchy posted:

So the Cutie Moon Rod appearing in one of the eyecatches is just there for shits and giggles then? Why even show a piece of weaponry from a later part of the series if they aren't going to use it at all?

And by single OP and ED, do they mean songwise or animation wise as well?

Might see that in a flash back dream sequence if Usgai is having those visions of the Moon Kingdom.

aers
Feb 15, 2012

They've explicitly said that the OP storyboard in booklet form is a BD extra for volume 1 and the ED storyboard is a BD extra for volume 13, so only one animation for each.

I have no idea what the deal is with the endcard, since she also has NQS's back wing/ribbon thing.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

RMZXAnarchy posted:

The maths suggest that we're getting Small Stranger (It sort of splits into two cours, Chapters 1 - 12 is the Dark Kingdom, 13 - 24 is Nemisis so the numbers even give us a two week buffer) and, frankly, if I wanted to see the Dark Kingdom drawn out into a full series I'd watch Pretty Guardian.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

I only ever watched a couple eps of the original Sailor Moon back when I was like, 5-6 - was this episode supposed to be the same situation as the first episode of that one? Cause I could have sworn I saw an ep very similar to this one wayyyyyyyyyyy back when.

Valsu
Jan 2, 2006

Pollyanna posted:

I only ever watched a couple eps of the original Sailor Moon back when I was like, 5-6 - was this episode supposed to be the same situation as the first episode of that one? Cause I could have sworn I saw an ep very similar to this one wayyyyyyyyyyy back when.

Yea. The first episode of the original used the same plot. It's almost a one to one copy of it. There are a few things different, but for the most part its the same. Here's a link to wikipedia's list of SM episodes for comparison. Obviously, there are spoilers if you haven't seen the original series.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

And of course both are nearly identical to the original manga's first chapter. It's kind of neat to look at all three versions since they're all so easily available at the moment.

jackofarcades
Sep 2, 2011

Okay, I'll admit it took me a bit to get into it... But I think I kinda love this!! I'm Spider-Man!! I'm actually Spider-Man!! HA!
The first episode of the original anime followed the manga closely, but after that it did its own thing. Crystal will be a more faithful adaptation, but it means that their first episodes were the same.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

I won't be surprised at all if we get 13 episodes for Dark Kingdom, then 13 episodes for Black Moon. It would tie up two most overtly Legendary Silver Crystal centric arcs in a nice neat little package, as well as being the most Silver Millenium heavy arcs until Nehelenia shows up. Much as I would like them to slow it down just a little on the pacing of the manga's storyline and give us more time with the girls after they've all been introduced, or even to flesh out the backstory shown in the Dark Kingdom arc a little more ... twenty-six episodes could turn into a lot of awkward filler if they approach it wrong.

I'll be happy either way. I was really pleased with this first episode, beyond some small issues with the animation (which I'm optimistic will improve as it goes on) and not really being able to get into the music quite yet.

E: ofc this all works off the assumption they'll actually stay a faithful adaptation of the manga throughout its run

esperterra fucked around with this message at 18:17 on Jul 6, 2014

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

The first episode of Crystal was pretty good. I thought Ami getting caught in the rain at the end of the episode was a pretty cute touch.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
So I was just futzing around and on top of Stand Proud working well, it turns out IGNITE (SAO II's Opening) if timed with when Moon Pride Starts in episode is pretty much on Sync.

Videos to follow!

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Plaguing your posts with incidental music.

jackofarcades posted:

The first episode of the original anime followed the manga closely, but after that it did its own thing. Crystal will be a more faithful adaptation, but it means that their first episodes were the same.

I don't think I could handle a Sailor Moon whose first episode wasn't this one.

Dove from Above
Apr 16, 2007

neongrey posted:

I don't think I could handle a Sailor Moon whose first episode wasn't this one.

I know - the first episode of PGSM is a variation on it too, still with Naru and Naru's mama being possessed/replaced, just with a jewellery exhibition/fashion show instead of the jewellery store itself as the scene of the action.
It also has that golden exchange when Usagi is holding one of the dresses for the show against herself, admiring it, and then notices Mamoru noticing her.
Usagi (flustered, dropping the dress: Oh! No, I'm not a model or anything!
Mamoru (deadpan rear end in a top hat): Don't worry, nobody would think you were.
And shortly afterwards she reverses and walks back down a corridor the way she came purely to have the opportunity to bump him out of the way with her shoulder and flip her hair.
Basically if anyone ever tried to begin a TV series based on Sailor Moon with anything else, the sky would crack open and Sailor Saturn's glaive would descend upon us.

I Watson
Feb 25, 2011

Good-night, sweet prince;
And flights of angels sing thee to thy rest.
I liked the first episode of Crystal quite a bit, but my true love is for the continued complaining about how it isn't good at all because it is not the ORIGINAL anime. I like to supplement it with a heaping side of how people are still bitter about Viz not using the DiC dub or its cast for the new release. Come on people, the original dub had its moments and gets a lot of undue flack, but it isn't sacred.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RMZXAnarchy
Sep 9, 2011

I Watson posted:

I liked the first episode of Crystal quite a bit, but my true love is for the continued complaining about how it isn't good at all because it is not the ORIGINAL anime. I like to supplement it with a heaping side of how people are still bitter about Viz not using the DiC dub or its cast for the new release. Come on people, the original dub had its moments and gets a lot of undue flack, but it isn't sacred.

I find it hilarious how many people are complaining about the lack of Susan Roman. I mean, she was the only inner senshi to keep the same voice throughout but do you really want Jupiter to sound like a raspy old woman? Same deal with Terri Hawkes, I'm looking forward to seeing how Stephanie Sheh will do the role.

Kate Higgins as Mercury was a great choice too.

• Locked thread