Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
illrepute
Dec 30, 2009

by XyloJW

Deadulus posted:

Our, only assignment about the period was to be given a biography of an industrialist and write a report.

I had J. P. Morgan. I don't remember what I wrote, but I am sure it is hilarious, if I can find it.

In fourth grade I wrote a report about Henry Ford. My dad sat me down and told me the story, so when everyone else went to give their short, lovely presentation about some uplifting figure like Harriet Tubman or Susan B. Anthony, I walked up and said my guy was a Nazi who hated jews.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

No matter how much paperwork I process, it never goes away. It only increases.

Shageletic posted:

Depends on where you're talking about. Places like Minnesota and New York do have a tradition of populist progressive parties, but what you tend to see is a co-option of them by "left-wing" stalwarts like the Democratic party. coughfuckyouAndrewCuomocough.

Yeah, when I made that post I mainly had that strip of states from North Dakota down to Oklahoma in mind, and places like Montana and Wyoming.

Come to think of it, the CCF's old turf in Canada swung pretty hard to the right up north as well, didn't it? :smith:

Raccooon
Dec 5, 2009

illrepute posted:

In fourth grade I wrote a report about Henry Ford. My dad sat me down and told me the story, so when everyone else went to give their short, lovely presentation about some uplifting figure like Harriet Tubman or Susan B. Anthony, I walked up and said my guy was a Nazi who hated jews.

This is hilarious.

My dad would have told me of the greatness of Henry Ford and that we should all cower in the shadow he has cast.

How did that report go over?

illrepute
Dec 30, 2009

by XyloJW

Deadulus posted:

This is hilarious.

My dad would have told me of the greatness of Henry Ford and that we should all cower in the shadow he has cast.

How did that report go over?

No idea, I just remember the teacher was this nice lady who would always clap politely. I'm sure it was fine, it's pretty common knowledge these days and we've had to substantially pare the list of inspiring Americans as we recall what awful people so many were.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

illrepute posted:

All over. Places like Kansas, which are now huge republican strongholds, used to be the beating heart of America's left-wing populist movements. I don't really know what happened. I was recommended a book about this once. Uh... what's the matter with kansas? I think?

Well, one could argue it had a lot to do with how what were for a long time struggling small farmer that needed progressive policies to keep them going have gradually transitioned to a point where both parties are more than happy to poo poo out farm subsidies to them and they're doing better for themeselves.

So now they're free to vote based on what appears to whatever hosed up moral issues they have a focus on this week, and that leads to Republican voting. Many of them even still have extensive arguably leftist institutions, like state-owned banks, massive cooperative enterprises, and shared facilities at the same time they holler on about the gays and the welfare leeches!

size1one posted:

I never argued we shouldn't have corporations. In fact, I explicitly stated that corporations are needed. My point has been and still is that there is more than one way to convey rights and legal protections to corporations.

But then you're probably just trolling me what with the false dichotomy, ad hominem, and strawmen. I should know better than to actively engage you.

It is literally impossible to have a corporation without personhood. You could change the legal name of the concept to something other than personhood, but it would still actually be personhood.

Xenocidebot posted:

It would probably be less of a reflexive vague anger for people if we used legal/juristic/artificial person as the descriptor. People hear "corporate personhood" and they think "a corporation being treated as equivalent to a person", whereas international descriptors are pretty unambiguous about it being beneath natural personhood.

Well before about 10 years ago you rarely heard anyone getting enraged at the term "corporate personhood" because it was just a neutral legal term at the time. A certain subset of people started spreading the notion that this long-standing concept was the problem and now the term is poisoned in the same way as say "communism" is among most Americans.

FRINGE posted:

There is no need to apply "personhood" to preserve those legal artifacts.

Yes there is. Those "artifacts" are what legal personhood is.

paragon1 posted:

Question: How long before we get some company suing the government for the corporate tax rate being discriminatory?

I could swear this already happened once in the 70s or 80s, around the time things like Prop 13 in California and other "taxpayer revolts" were happening. And it was laughed out of court and led to the dude trying to bring the suit getting audited later.

Jerry Manderbilt posted:

Personally when I read that the reason Oklahoma only allows Democrats and Republicans on the ballot is due to the strength of left-wing third parties in the early 20th century, I had trouble believing it.

A lot of states used to have "electoral fusion" allowed, now it's pretty much only New York that allows it. Electoral fusion means multiple parties can run the same candidate on the ticket, and get all the votes for themselves from the multiple parties.

So you can get party line votes on say the Social Party, who shares the same governor and US senate candidate as the Democratic party, but is running candidates in opposition to the Democrats in the state senate and house. You get your people to vote party-line for your party without throwing away a vote on the less competitive Governor and Senate positions, and you can be viable force in state politics. Now this quickly started to anger the major parties in most states, and so it was almost entirely swept away by the 1920s.

size1one
Jun 24, 2008

I don't want a nation just for me, I want a nation for everyone

The first case deals with a non-profit, which I believe should be treated differently from a for-profit corporation. Non-profits serve a different purpose than corporations and should have stronger rights than corporations.

The other two cases involved the New York times and were entirely or partially decided based on the 1st amendment explicitly granting rights to the press. Even losing protections under the 14th these cases would have the same outcome. These are great examples of how we can, and did, narrowly grant rights to non-persons when they deserve them.

Kiwi Ghost Chips
Feb 19, 2011

Start using the best desktop environment now!
Choose KDE!

size1one posted:

The first case deals with a non-profit, which I believe should be treated differently from a for-profit corporation. Non-profits serve a different purpose than corporations and should have stronger rights than corporations.

The other two cases involved the New York times and were entirely or partially decided based on the 1st amendment explicitly granting rights to the press. Even losing protections under the 14th these cases would have the same outcome. These are great examples of how we can, and did, narrowly grant rights to non-persons when they deserve them.

Non-profits are corporations as well, they just have an IRS letter.

Even if you could separate press and speech (it's almost impossible) I don't see why you grant one and not the other.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.

size1one posted:

It's pretty trivial for a for-profit corporation, or a group of for-profits, to set up nonprofits as mouthpieces. That's what a lot of PACs and 501(c)(3)s are.

Horseshoe theory
Mar 7, 2005

Nintendo Kid posted:

I could swear this already happened once in the 70s or 80s, around the time things like Prop 13 in California and other "taxpayer revolts" were happening. And it was laughed out of court and led to the dude trying to bring the suit getting audited later.

Nowadays there's actually penalties in the Internal Revenue Code against frivolous tax positions (under Sections 6702 and 6673) as well as some potential criminal penalties; they came to be in the last decade or so.

Kiwi Ghost Chips posted:

Non-profits are corporations as well, they just have an IRS letter.

That's not fully correct - some are legally (and tax-wise) trusts (and even fewer unincorporated associations).

R. Mute
Jul 27, 2011

hey, you guys know what's a good show? black mirror. i've watched the entire series in the past few days and i enjoyed it immensely. it was some good poo poo. it's refreshing to see a show focus on some version of the future that doesn't get all gushy over technology but highlights some problems we might face - or that uses it to reflect on problems we currently face. but at the same time, it avoids just devolving into a 'those drat gizmos and kids don't play outside anymore' type moaning. all in all, the technology usually takes a backseat to musing on the human condition.

it's real good and i recommend it. it's written by charlie brooker, if that name-drop matters.

fade5
May 31, 2012

by exmarx

Deadulus posted:

But, my question has more to do with the period between the civil war and WWI.

The main thing we got from the inter-war period was nothing much happened, but a few great men made some companies and then we had a big war in Europe.

Is this normal in a lot of high schools? I am wondering because it just glosses over all labor disputes of the period.
Yep, history always seemed to go up to the Civil war, skim Reconstruction, then nothing happened until WW1 (specifically Lusitania sinking->US entry), skim the Roaring 20s/the great Depression, then WW2. I finally got a more in-depth look in College, where I basically figured out that my history courses followed the same path each time: "Columbus, the Colonies, the Revolution to the Civil war, then the parts where America is the good guy."

gently caress, I don't think I even got to the Civil Rights era most of the time, because apparently learning about how loving great the founding fathers were for the fifth time is more important than stuff that actually affects our day-to-day lives.

On the plus side, I finally got to see Slavery by Another Name in College (pro-click, seriously, go watch it), which filled in the conspicuous gaps in my history knowledge.

This lead to my second revelation: "Pretty much everything I learned back in Elementary/Middle/High School History was sanitized, propagandized bullshit."

I cannot emphasize enough how much of a pro-watch Slavery by Another Name is, it really explained to me exactly why race relations in America were/are hosed, and connects the time between the end of slavery and Civil Rights in the sixties as not two separate events, but the same event fought for over a hundred years.

I cannot thank my teacher enough for showing that film, it will likely stick with me for the rest of my life.

E: I'd also like to note that this was Community College (also known as High School+) not University College.

fade5 fucked around with this message at 02:27 on Jul 6, 2014

R. Mute
Jul 27, 2011

also guys, i think, personally, me, in my own opinion, that you can easily move the corporate personhood discussion the the mayone thread. you're welcome to stay here and make those boring rear end posts because this thread is for everyone to talk in in harmony and freedom, but i - again, personally in my own opinion - think we don't need to have the discussion in both threads. it's all up to you, however, if you want to continue or if you want to do whatever.

best of luck,

mute

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

rscott posted:

I prefer to use 80/20 or 85/15 for my burgers because 73/27 shrinks too much when you cook them

m-make bigger patties :psyduck:

R. Mute
Jul 27, 2011

fade5 posted:

This lead to my second revelation: "Pretty much everything I learned back in Elementary/Middle/High School History was sanitized, propagandized bullshit."
history education in secondary schools will always be flawed in a sense. it will never even resemble - say - a university course and it's not meant to. history at university is about the act of writing history and learning the ability to research history itself. history in earlier forms of education is about forming an identity - and traditionally, it's the shared national identity that countries go for. this is usually in the form of an overview of the history of the country. it's not very in-depth, it's not very nuanced, but it does the job of creating a form of identity. the contrast with history at a university is stark, because at higher levels you're encouraged and left free to essentially form your own identity to some degree. but that's not possible in earlier forms of education.

this of course leads to the problem that the one version a country will promote will be heavily politicised. what do you include, what do you give special attention to. the nature of the education system in the us makes this a very conservative version, but it's also very much the identity that your government wants to promote - because it instils patriotism and love of capitalism and so on. when you say that you want more nuance or more of a focus on - say - civil rights or america's many misdeeds, you're asking for a change in the national identity. and that's always going to be kind of difficult, although definitely possible. but i find that those changes usually happen in a wider context before being made in history textbooks. for instance, it took many years until the loss of prestige and influence of the royal family here in belgium before some of the nastier pages of our colonial history to be taught in schools.

e: oh and of course, even when you can change that identity to something more to your likely, it will still essentially be very much not in-depth and will still be an idealised story

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

size1one posted:

"I don't want corporations to have personhood, except that I do want corporations to have personhood"

That's the post you made right here!

SedanChair posted:

m-make bigger patties :psyduck:

That is forbidden in Obama's America.

Kiwi Ghost Chips
Feb 19, 2011

Start using the best desktop environment now!
Choose KDE!

The FDA reign of terror has limited me to quarter pounders.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
Anecdotally, in New Jersey US history I got a nice treatment of labor history, with a lot about populist movements, post-Civil-War domestic politics, a documentary about the Homestead Strike, excerpts from The Jungle... good stuff. I didn't appreciate at the time how cool that was.

Then in California I took US history again and it was only poo poo that was gonna be on the AP test at the end of the year.

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Chantilly Say posted:

Anecdotally, in New Jersey US history I got a nice treatment of labor history, with a lot about populist movements, post-Civil-War domestic politics, a documentary about the Homestead Strike, excerpts from The Jungle... good stuff.

God bless our NJEA liberal indoctrination factory :patriot:

Sure in 9th grade I hated it but it was important information.

We got to watch 'Newsies'!

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

Raskolnikov38 posted:

I would say yes but the teacher I got in high school for post ACW US History was lf as gently caress and literally based the class around zinn's a peoples history and killing hope

:lol: you read Killing Hope in high school? That is LF as gently caress.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

i graduated eleven years ago and i still talk with my history teacher on facebook because she's awesome; i probably had a weird experience for suburban texas, but it was APUSH. i have yet to hear from a person that took APUSH that was disappointed in their class

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Joementum posted:

Congrats on having a history teacher that gave a poo poo though.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

Joementum posted:

oh no he couldn't get away with that but once we hit the cold war his lectures for some reason matched almost preciously with the material covered in killing hope. It left me wondering if I had read the book before when I did buy it a year later.

e: he did make us read excerpts of open veins of latin america though. Guy was a pretty cool teacher

Raskolnikov38 fucked around with this message at 02:31 on Jul 6, 2014

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Chantilly Say posted:

Anecdotally, in New Jersey US history I got a nice treatment of labor history, with a lot about populist movements, post-Civil-War domestic politics, a documentary about the Homestead Strike, excerpts from The Jungle... good stuff. I didn't appreciate at the time how cool that was.

Then in California I took US history again and it was only poo poo that was gonna be on the AP test at the end of the year.

Same, except I never had to go to a California school.

Joementum posted:

We had that in 10th grade history class in my school.

Also my hometown school district was the focus of Fox News rage for doing an emergency training drill where the attacking party was a group of Chrisitan extremists protesting abortion. (the school board and administration having decided this was the most likely scenario for an armed takeover of a school) :)

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.

Kiwi Ghost Chips posted:

The FDAUSDA reign of terror has limited me to quarter pounders.

Ftfy. FDA doesn't get involved with meat patties.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

McDowell posted:

God bless our NJEA liberal indoctrination factory :patriot:

Sure in 9th grade I hated it but it was important information.

We got to watch 'Newsies'!

Hell yeah, we watched Newsies.

In CA when we covered the same time period we watched Far and Away. Then after the AP test it was time to cover US History 1950-Present so we watched Forrest Gump and went home for the summer.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
Here I should probably link a story about that incident:
http://www.bluejersey.com/showDiary.do?diaryId=4457

"The drill scenario was created by the Burlington Township Police Department and was written in an information packet describing the objectives of the drill. It specified that two armed men invade the high school through the front entrance, shoot several students in the hallways, then barricade themselves in the media center with 10 student hostages.

The written scenario used by police during the drill described the intruders as "members of a right-wing fundamentalist group called the "New Crusaders' who do not believe in the separation of church and state. They also have a strong commitment in their right to bear arms."

The scenario also indicated the mock gunmen went to the school seeking justice because the daughter of one of the men was given detention and eventually expelled for praying before the beginning of class."

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

thinking about it more my senior year history teacher could have been an lf poster, he also did a yearly summer trip for interested students down to Guatemala for a month and a half to learn about the country and do aid work.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Raskolnikov38 posted:

thinking about it more my senior year history teacher could have been an lf poster, he also did a yearly summer trip for interested students down to Guatemala for a month and a half to learn about the country and do aid work.

He wouldn't happen to have participated in one of those groups that handles educational aid to Guatamala, was he?

R. Mute
Jul 27, 2011

Raskolnikov38 posted:

mine talked about how she had mao's little red book back when she was a student, something i can't quite remember about smuggling people out of east germany and about how one of the class trips she hosted back before the wall fell was sponsored by a front company of the cia. she also gave a very impressive explanation of the death of patrice lumumba which was university quality tbh. history teachers own.

e: the far right party here in belgium also kept a black list of teachers and she was on it. she liked that, i think

R. Mute fucked around with this message at 02:44 on Jul 6, 2014

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

http://www.4tests.com/ap-us-history

24/29, i'm kinda disappointed in my score

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

Nintendo Kid posted:

He wouldn't happen to have participated in one of those groups that handles educational aid to Guatamala, was he?

IIRC he p much set the trips up entirely himself and he and the students would help child aid set up libraries and schools.

KoldPT
Oct 9, 2012

R. Mute posted:

it avoids just devolving into a 'those drat gizmos and kids don't play outside anymore' type moaning.

it's written by charlie brooker

These two points have a 1:1 correlation. Charlie Brooker is the loving man.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
the one with the treadmills is pretty great and also some pretty harsh criticism for brooker himself.

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

Aliquid posted:

http://www.4tests.com/ap-us-history

24/29, i'm kinda disappointed in my score

I got most of them, but mainly I'm reminded how boring AP US History was.

hamster_style
Nov 24, 2004
neenjah!

R. Mute posted:

hey, you guys know what's a good show? black mirror. <snip>

Any sources for those in the US to stream? (Netflix, hulu, etc)

Boozechat: I prefer Bushmills over Jameson(don't really care for it at all) when it comes to Irish whiskey and was wondering if anyone has tried "2 Gingers"? I was curious as to how it compared to them.

Huge Liability
Mar 2, 2010
I have a question for all you well-read cynics out there - is there any good reason to dislike Red Cross/Red Crescent? We watched some nice propaganda about the organization before CPR training today and they seem pretty cool.

Swan Oat
Oct 9, 2012

I was selected for my skill.
my ap us history teacher was a former nation of islam member and conscious rapper and he made sure to include all sorts of good knowledge about african american history and labor history. the government teacher was a huge union supporter and last i checked he is actually the president of the teachers union in my city. good high school :cool:

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Hello yes I heard there was a lovely trainwreck here and...

Huge Liability posted:

I have a question for all you well-read cynics out there - is there any good reason to dislike Red Cross/Red Crescent? We watched some nice propaganda about the organization before CPR training today and they seem pretty cool.

They destroyed blood and continued to solicit for blood donations to 9/11 victims even after it was found most/all of them were dead.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

The Red Cross is generally above reproach. The incidents Ignatius M. Meen is referring to occurred

1) because they encountered the unprecedented situation of getting roughly 15 times the amount of blood donations that they were equipped to handle- and blood has an expiration date

2) due to a snafu in their communications office. The head of the Red Cross of the US also resigned in response to that incident.

Those are literally the only misdeeds I know of coming out of the Red Cross in a large number of years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Homura and Sickle
Apr 21, 2013
I heard they are pretty wasteful with money especially because of the way people earmark donations, but I don't really give enough of a poo poo to confirm or refute.

• Locked thread