Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Haquer
Nov 15, 2009

That windswept look...

Raskolnikov2089 posted:

I got gigabit fiber installed from a local utility in my small town in Texas.

1000/1000 with no datacaps.

Life's good man.

Is this one of those "gently caress you got mine" posts?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy
LOL that one guy lives in a small town in TEXAS and gets better internet somehow than a lot of you guys.

It's hardly "gently caress you, got mine" (though coming from someone in a small Texan town it's easy to see why one might think that,) it's proof that infrastructure can be added/improved in places where consumers demand it.

Crafty
Dec 9, 2003

I CAN'T SEE SHIT.

xbox one is the best

CAPT. Rainbowbeard posted:

LOL that one guy lives in a small town in TEXAS and gets better internet somehow than a lot of you guys.

It's hardly "gently caress you, got mine" (though coming from someone in a small Texan town it's easy to see why one might think that,) it's proof that infrastructure can be added/improved in places where consumers demand it.

Please don't make a non negative post in this thread, it makes goon eyes leak :qq:

My internet is 80gb limit, 1$ per GB after that. 3rd world problems (Canada)

Crafty fucked around with this message at 02:05 on Jul 2, 2014

A c E
Jun 18, 2007

Is this weird? Is this too weird? Do you need to sit down?

Crafty posted:

Please don't make a non nevative post in this thread, it makes goon eyes leak :qq:

My internet is 80gb limit, 1$ per GB after that. 3rd world problems (Canada)

Who are you with? I imagine you don't have much of a choice where you are? Usually there are 3rd parties with decent packages like Teksavvy and Start. So I'm thankful they start with 300gb plans with the option of unlimited. I don't think I'd do well with having a cap, especially with Steam and going digital only on the Xbone.

That said my work place can only get 5/1 with 100GB. Its so lovely in some areas. So I know what it's like.

Anyways, it's really lovely that they have these huge patches when they could be avoided for all of those with datacaps. Day 1 16Gb patch when you buy a physical game would suck, especially on a lower speed connection. It would take me days to download at my work.

Funkmaster General
Sep 13, 2008

Hey, man, I distinctly remember this being an episode of Spongebob. :colbert:

I have a 200gb cap, so it isn't THAT bad, but still. Also, it's fast enough that I was able to play within a few hours, compared to my last IP where a 2gb arcade title would take a full day to be playable, so there's that. Plus, the SP is ready to play at kike 39% so it's not too bad in that regard either.

Gameplay wise, it's really scratching the stealth itch. Basically, take MGS, remove the gadgets and 99.9% of the plot, and add more realistic sniping mechanics. The AI isn't great but its exactly what I expect from a stealth game and nothing above and beyond that.

Chasiubao
Apr 2, 2010

Crafty posted:

Guacamalee is available for free with gold tomorrow. The reviews are looking really good for the latest version. http://www.metacritic.com/game/playstation-4/guacamelee!-super-turbo-championship-edition

I just got it now. Free with Gold, PST, US marketplace.

Crafty
Dec 9, 2003

I CAN'T SEE SHIT.

xbox one is the best
I'm with Rogers, i'd definitely upgrade my limit but I'm only renting for 6 months so it might not be possible and I can't be bothered to go through the hassle. I recently got an "upgraded" package for TV, the box is loving SD! Kinda hilarious, I've not seen a new SD Box for a long time, you couldn't get an SD box if you tried in the UK.

This also means I can't run my cable through the bone as there's no HD out, its hard going back to having to change channels and volume with a different remote. Didn't think I'd miss the TV functionality as much as I do. Also now I can't watch TV when it's late like I used to through the Xbox controller headphone port, there's no headphone out on my TV.

Life is hard.

Crafty
Dec 9, 2003

I CAN'T SEE SHIT.

xbox one is the best

Chasiubao posted:

I just got it now. Free with Gold, PST, US marketplace.

Got it too now, guess it released early!

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

Oh come on he got a fiber line ran directly from the ISP's loving data center and is acting like he's hot poo poo because of it (hence the guaranteed 1 gig up and down...). To expect such a thing everywhere is silly with a country as large as the United States.

Great, Google houses large loving complexes in Kansas City and Austin and people in a small section get Google Fiber (Which does this same exact thing). This is hardly a reasonable thing to expect everywhere.

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic

Kirios posted:

Oh come on he got a fiber line ran directly from the ISP's loving data center and is acting like he's hot poo poo because of it (hence the guaranteed 1 gig up and down...). To expect such a thing everywhere is silly with a country as large as the United States.

Great, Google houses large loving complexes in Kansas City and Austin and people in a small section get Google Fiber (Which does this same exact thing). This is hardly a reasonable thing to expect everywhere.

7 hours between posts.

Was it because of your slow connection?

**edit - whoa. Guacamelee in 45 seconds. I guess Xbox Live turns the speed up at night

Raskolnikov2089 fucked around with this message at 05:28 on Jul 2, 2014

Chasiubao
Apr 2, 2010

No online co-op, only local?

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

Raskolnikov2089 posted:

7 hours between posts.

Was it because of your slow connection?

**edit - whoa. Guacamelee in 45 seconds. I guess Xbox Live turns the speed up at night

Hurr hurr two and a half hours to respond to my post? Guess that 1 gig connection turned out to just be 1 meg. :smug:

WinnebagoWarrior
Apr 8, 2009

I eat Rotheseburgehergh's like you for breakfast
I got Sniper Elite as well and i really like it so far. The AI isnt good and the story is borderline dumb - so thats the same as the last SE game.

Other than that, every gameplay element seems like it has taken a pretty massive step forward. You have more flexibility in weapon choice and loadouts before you start a level, the levels themselves are a TON more flexible on how you approach them, the game is more clear about when you are and are not hidden, and there is a pretty solid system for letting you know when the enemies know where you are and when you need to relocate.

Someone else compared it to the new MGS which is pretty fair in terms of gameplay style. It just happens to be 10 dollars more expensive and has 20x the content. And its better looking.

Also, I didnt realize that data caps had become so prevalent. I am glad I have not yet been subjected to them and hope that its a long way off. Thankfully there are a lot of ISP options here so hopefully I have a choice in the matter for awhile longer.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy
I have Comcast in Chicago and the cap of 300GB a month has been "temporarily suspended" for over three years now. Decent enough speeds for gaming, 20/5, 30 ping.

Yeah, yeah, I know, Comcast.

eyebeem
Jul 18, 2013

by R. Guyovich
FiOS quantum. 500/100. No cap.

gently caress You, got mine.

WinnebagoWarrior
Apr 8, 2009

^^^^ Do you pay 300/month for internet? :stare:

I have Comcast in Chicago and the cap of 300GB a month has been "temporarily suspended" for over three years now. Decent enough speeds for gaming, 20/5, 30 ping.

Yeah, yeah, I know, Comcast.

Yeah, before I moved back to Pittsburgh I had Comcast and got the same notification of the cap being suspended or whatever. I have comcast in Pittsburgh as well and there has been no mention of a cap at all. I know people complain about Comcast a lot but I have really good speeds for the price and have not had a single second of downtime with my connection in 2 years.

\/\/\/\/\/While I typically find HOA's to be complete and utter horseshit, its pretty cool to hear about one that did a cool thing. I had an HOA for like a year and it was real dumb and I didnt even have to pay for it\/\/\/\/\/

WinnebagoWarrior fucked around with this message at 15:11 on Jul 2, 2014

eyebeem
Jul 18, 2013

by R. Guyovich

WinnebagoWarrior posted:

^^^^ Do you pay 300/month for internet? :stare:

I live in the first housing development to enter into a deal with verizon. Every house has the sane FiOS service and we are billed through our HOA. My HOA is astronomical, but my FiOS service (internet, TV with HBO and ST) is only $110 or so. We get a significant discount since we gave them 400 guaranteed customers.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Crafty posted:

Is sniper elite any good? I read the Ai wasn't the best.

That's a positive. They mostly take cover and don't try to approach or flank you or anything so you can snipe forever instead of having to use a pistol or SMG.

Crafty
Dec 9, 2003

I CAN'T SEE SHIT.

xbox one is the best
Guacamalee is really good fun, played it for a few hours and the combat system is great.

Aphrodite posted:

That's a positive. They mostly take cover and don't try to approach or flank you or anything so you can snipe forever instead of having to use a pistol or SMG.

I heard a few things like guards will ignore their buddy being shot in the head but will go crazy if you make a sound jumping off a small ledge, or if you pick up a body.

I guess it's fine really, any game where you can shoot Hitler in the nuts deserves some slack.

Crafty fucked around with this message at 23:40 on Jul 2, 2014

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010
Just finished getting all the achievements on Super Time Force... first game I've done that for. Thanks for the recommendation, people here, I probably would've waited until GWG otherwise.

Not sure why people (elsewhere) raved so much about Guacamelee. It's fun but it's not particularly unique or noteworthy. I spent about two hours on it so far and looked it up and apparently I'm almost at the end of the game, so it's even shorter than Halo: SA. I probably would've enjoyed it more if Dust hadn't just been given away, but for free it's great.

WinnebagoWarrior
Apr 8, 2009

I still really like Sniper Elite. It does have AI issues, but its not nearly as bad as, say, Thief. And pretty much every stealth game has AI issues. Well, I guess pretty much every game has AI issues its just more obvious in stealth games. Sniper Elite is a bit of a niche title but the gameplay is quite similar to the good aspects of Ground Zeroes without the obvious drawbacks of that game. Really happy with it. Curious to try multiplayer. Anyone given it a spin yet?

And holy gently caress is Guacamelee fun. I really dont like the Metroidvania genre (and in fact I thought Guac was more like a Rayman style side scroller than a Metroid style game or I may not have bothered playing it) but the combat system loving owns. A really, really nice free game.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender
Nice. This thread has convinced me to check it out. Will it be available all through July?

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
Yes, the free Bone games are for all month. The sales change every week though.

Guacamelee is pretty fun. Looking at a guide on GameFAQs (for what the unlockable moves were, mostly. The "Xbox Help" snap would be useful if I had never played a game before) I see there is more than one ending? Can anyone confirm this? Guacamelee isn't famous enough for sperglords to document every facet on a wiki I guess.

And God drat Combo Chicken's loving combos. It's like the Dojo from Killer Instinct. Apparently you can chain some wicked combos once you get the hang of it, but on the other hand it's a Metroidvania, how much time are you gonna spend on it as opposed to a fighter?

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
I can see a clearer, vision
I should start living today
Clapping Larry

Crafty posted:

or if you pick up a body.

The action itself is actually completely silent, but unless you hold down the walking key, his marginally faster running-while-carrying animation seems to produce about as much sound as sprinting, which is a little annoying- like a lot of the bugs in sniper elite. But atleast they're just that, slightly annoying. The game itself is very solid, and I'd recommend it to anyone, and this is coming from someone who was less than impressed with the previous games in the series.

Daedo
May 5, 2002

Yes, the free Bone games are for all month. The sales change every week though.

Guacamelee is pretty fun. Looking at a guide on GameFAQs (for what the unlockable moves were, mostly. The "Xbox Help" snap would be useful if I had never played a game before) I see there is more than one ending? Can anyone confirm this? Guacamelee isn't famous enough for sperglords to document every facet on a wiki I guess.

And God drat Combo Chicken's loving combos. It's like the Dojo from Killer Instinct. Apparently you can chain some wicked combos once you get the hang of it, but on the other hand it's a Metroidvania, how much time are you gonna spend on it as opposed to a fighter?

I've not finished the game yet, but I looks like there is a secret achievement for finishing the game after collecting all the hidden orbs, so I guess that's the other ending? Only found 1 of 6 of them so far though.

I haven't had much trouble doing the combo moves in the Combo Chickens place so far. Might take a couple of tries but nothing too difficult. Definitely much easier that the Killer Instinct Dojo, that can go gently caress itself.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

I see there is more than one ending? Can anyone confirm this?

Having played the non-Super Turbo Championship edition, it has two endings, based on whether or not you obtain all of the mask pieces.

Coldstone Cream-my-pants
Jun 21, 2007
The xbone blu ray app is the biggest piece of poo poo imaginable. Why am I surprised

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

The Royal Scrub posted:

The xbone blu ray app is the biggest piece of poo poo imaginable. Why am I surprised

Blu ray was created by Sony - they intentionally sabotaged your all in one entertainment experience.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through

The Royal Scrub posted:

It sure has played every movie I've used in it. Did yours slap you when you hit play or something?

Coldstone Cream-my-pants
Jun 21, 2007

Soul Glo posted:

It sure has played every movie I've used in it. Did yours slap you when you hit play or something?

No but it jumps around by 20 minutes when I hit pause and it doesn't let you scan backwards through to previous chapters.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through

The Royal Scrub posted:

No but it jumps around by 20 minutes when I hit pause and it doesn't let you scan backwards through to previous chapters.

Mine doesn't do the pause thing and I don't know that I've tried to jump around chapters but I haven't seen that either. Maybe delete the app and redownload, because you definitely aren't getting the same experience I am.

I am annoyed that they use X to pause instead of A like every other video app I use, but that's a design choice and not a bug so :shrug:

Rubiks Pubes
Dec 5, 2003

I wanted to be a neo deconstructivist, but Mom wouldn't let me.
I watched Monuments Men on my One last night, and at one point in the movie the picture froze and audio continued for about 3 minutes. Then the picture fast forwarded and caught up.

This makes two blu rays I have watched on my One and had problems with both.

King Burgundy
Sep 17, 2003

I am the Burgundy King,
I can do anything!

Rubiks Pubes posted:

I watched Monuments Men on my One last night, and at one point in the movie the picture froze and audio continued for about 3 minutes. Then the picture fast forwarded and caught up.

You should probably return it/get it replaced. It isn't an inherent problem with all xbones.

SmokeyXIII
Apr 19, 2008
Not Stephen Harper in Disguise.

That is simply not true.
Do you lose access to a GwG after the month is out?

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

SmokeyXIII posted:

Do you lose access to a GwG after the month is out?

If you just got a month of Gold for the game, yes. On the Bone GWG is like Playstation Plus, you keep your free stuff as long as your subscription is current, unlike how on the 360 you keep the games forever regardless.

I don't think it resets if you lapse your subscription.

SmokeyXIII
Apr 19, 2008
Not Stephen Harper in Disguise.

That is simply not true.

If you just got a month of Gold for the game, yes. On the Bone GWG is like Playstation Plus, you keep your free stuff as long as your subscription is current, unlike how on the 360 you keep the games forever regardless.

I don't think it resets if you lapse your subscription.

Oh maybe I should have downloaded those games!!

Chasiubao
Apr 2, 2010

SmokeyXIII posted:

Oh maybe I should have downloaded those games!!

As long as you 'purchase' them for free, you're good. You can always re-download later, and assuming you still have Gold, can play them free.

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010

Rubiks Pubes posted:

I also had troubles playing Planet Earth blurays on the Bone recently. The video would clip and give artifacts about 1 second every 30 seconds. There's definitely no problem with the discs (they play perfectly on my PS3) and I doubt it's a problem with the Bone hardware (it plays DVDs and games just fine, no grinding noise). I haven't tried again since though, I always use the PS3 now for playback -- the interface is just so much better on the PS3.

Edit: On other news, I disconnected my Kinect a few weeks ago (sick of it drawing power pointlessly; I had it plugged in for four months and never used it for the last 3.9 months) and am irritated to find out that the automatic HDMI turn on / off signals require the Kinect to work. Isn't this something they could trivially patch in to the XBone software itself? It's not like it needs an IR Blaster to work for power on / off. Maybe it will come now that they sell Kinectless Bones.

E2: I ended up going 100% for Guacamelee (10 hours) so I guess I can't complain about it "not being all that fun" since I spent like 3 hours a day playing it all week.

Saladman fucked around with this message at 09:13 on Jul 6, 2014

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

King Burgundy posted:

You should probably return it/get it replaced. It isn't an inherent problem with all xbones.

The xbone does have inherent problems with certain blurays. I can't remember if that is one of them, but it does have issues with some specific discs for some reason.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Saladman posted:

I also had troubles playing Planet Earth blurays on the Bone recently. The video would clip and give artifacts about 1 second every 30 seconds. There's definitely no problem with the discs (they play perfectly on my PS3) and I doubt it's a problem with the Bone hardware (it plays DVDs and games just fine, no grinding noise). I haven't tried again since though, I always use the PS3 now for playback -- the interface is just so much better on the PS3.

Edit: On other news, I disconnected my Kinect a few weeks ago (sick of it drawing power pointlessly; I had it plugged in for four months and never used it for the last 3.9 months) and am irritated to find out that the automatic HDMI turn on / off signals require the Kinect to work. Isn't this something they could trivially patch in to the XBone software itself? It's not like it needs an IR Blaster to work for power on / off. Maybe it will come now that they sell Kinectless Bones.

E2: I ended up going 100% for Guacamelee (10 hours) so I guess I can't complain about it "not being all that fun" since I spent like 3 hours a day playing it all week.

there is no HDMI control as far as I am aware, its IR blasting out of the kinect and into the room (and therefore bouncing around and into the sensors in your devices)

• Locked thread