Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Because of that tagline I'm going to have to assume that the flag is actually in the scene and that they're having sex while draped in the Stars and Stripes. I mean, if you're that passionate about America you'd probably ask it to join you in the bedroom, would you not?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ShufflerZero
Mar 21, 2009

50: I'm so 6 of these kids and their drat posters

Contagion

The tale of a heroic surgeon's attempt to separate the world's largest conjoined twins with just a bowie knife.
In the middle of a forest.
With no anesthesia.

Just Before Dawn...

...is when they remembered they needed some kind of poster for this thing.

Pigs

False advertising! That is clearly only a singular pig.

Galaxy Invader

He came all the way over to our galaxy just to ask us to turn down the stereo because his kid's trying to get some sleep.
Our response: "Maybe later bro"

Sledge Hammer

and the case of the world's most uncomfortable bed.

The Severed Arm

also known as 'the Stranger' eh guys! (nudge nudge wink wink)

CaptainHollywood
Feb 29, 2008

I am an awesome guy and I love to make out during shitty Hollywood horror movies. I am a trendwhore!

Timeless Appeal posted:

Shyamalan is only a failure by the measure of stupid comparisons and expectations people put on him fifteen years ago.

Expectations or not - he didn't make "mediocre" movies- he made complete misfires/disasters

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
drat those are some find posters.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

axleblaze posted:

drat those are some find posters.

The first one easily works best, but they're all pretty great.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

I dunno about those. The first one only works because it's so tasteless, and the rest are just kinda boring.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Yeah that first one really made me :stare: but the rest are just okay. I do like the last one though. It's a David Fincher film which Trent Reznor is doing the music for, so naturally I am already sold on it. That first poster just makes me think it'll be really disturbing.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

I dunno about those. The first one only works because it's so tasteless, and the rest are just kinda boring.

Burnt Polaroid works pretty well, the note is a little to on the nose and the box cutter{?} is a little confusing, obviously it's the murder weapon but I don't get the point.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

The first one works in the same way that the teaser for Girl With the Dragon Tattoo works, where you get all this aggressively unsubtle rape imagery leading up to "THE FEEL BAD MOVIE OF CHRISTMAS" and realize, "wow, this movie is going full-bore and really doesn't give a gently caress what I think about it."

Of course, the movie itself sucked. I miss good Fincher, so I hope this movie doesn't suck.

ClearAirTurbulence
Apr 20, 2010
The earth has music for those who listen.

Darthemed posted:

Alternate poster for the 1973 film Who?.

Woah, Tyrian is in this one?

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

The first one works in the same way that the teaser for Girl With the Dragon Tattoo works, where you get all this aggressively unsubtle rape imagery leading up to "THE FEEL BAD MOVIE OF CHRISTMAS" and realize, "wow, this movie is going full-bore and really doesn't give a gently caress what I think about it."

Of course, the movie itself sucked. I miss good Fincher, so I hope this movie doesn't suck.

A lot of the promo art is going for that unsettling mix of sex and death:

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

morestuff posted:

I know pretty much nothing about the book except that a handful of people got really mad about that aspect of it.

Doctor Bishop
Oct 22, 2013

To understand what happened at the diner, we use Mr. Papaya. This is upsetting because he is the friendliest of fruits.

Skwirl posted:

Burnt Polaroid works pretty well, the note is a little to on the nose and the box cutter{?} is a little confusing, obviously it's the murder weapon but I don't get the point.

Huh, seeing the image on my phone, I assumed at first that it was a broken digital readout pregnancy test rather than a knife. Make of that what you will.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

morestuff posted:

Ben Affleck is a necrophiliac in this movie?! :barf:

Chemtrailologist
Jul 8, 2007

Lizard Combatant posted:

"From the director of The Sixth Sense" carried a lot of clout that has only now worn off.

Donny Darko is one of the only instances I can think of where the director's cut completely ruined the film. Are there any others?

Payback starring Mel Gibson. The theatrical was a really dark comedy, it was turned into a drama with the directors cut.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

Ben Affleck is a necrophiliac in this movie?! :barf:

That's not at all literal.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Doctor Bishop posted:

Huh, seeing the image on my phone, I assumed at first that it was a broken digital readout pregnancy test rather than a knife. Make of that what you will.

That's part of the problem, I spent a good amount of time figuring out if it was a box cutter or a nail file and now I'm thinking you might be right.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.
David Fincher's thing is sex and death, isn't it?

But the promos just make me restless for a nonexistant Nekromantik remake starring Ben Affleck.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

K. Waste posted:

But the promos just make me restless for a nonexistant Nekromantik remake starring Ben Affleck.

Goddammit, I would so watch this.

DNS
Mar 11, 2009

by Smythe

I love the gigantic NEW TRAILER promise on each one. They want really badly to get a do-over on the first impression the teaser trailer made.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

If the first trailer left a bad impression, you might just end up not liking the movie. That's 100% the book up on screen through his camera.
Was it the song?

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 04:19 on Jul 6, 2014

Distorted Kiwi
Jun 11, 2014

"C'mon! Let's tune our weapons!"

ShufflerZero posted:

50: I'm so 6 of these kids and their drat posters

Contagion

The tale of a heroic surgeon's attempt to separate the world's largest conjoined twins with just a bowie knife.
In the middle of a forest.
With no anesthesia.

etc...

Every one of these looks like the cover of the scripts off-brand novelization.

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012
I read it as "#goongirl"

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

I'm curious what you consider "good Fincher" if you thought Girl With the Dragon Tattoo sucked. I thought it was as good as (and practically identical to) the Swedish adaptation which I also really liked.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

King Vidiot posted:

I'm curious what you consider "good Fincher" if you thought Girl With the Dragon Tattoo sucked.

Now that you mention it, everything but Girl With The Dragon Tattoo, pretty much (note: have not seen Benjamin Button).

I was not a fan of the novel or the Swedish movie either, though. Although I'd probably take the Swedish movie over Fincher's movie if only because I thought Noomi Rapace was much better in that role than Rooney Mara.

Uncle Boogeyman fucked around with this message at 15:04 on Jul 6, 2014

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

Am I the only one who thinks Zodiac is his best film?

Slate Action
Feb 13, 2012

by exmarx
Benjamin Button is definitely not good Fincher.

Mister Chief posted:

As with every other instance of someone saying "am I the only one," no.

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

King Vidiot posted:

I'm curious what you consider "good Fincher" if you thought Girl With the Dragon Tattoo sucked. I thought it was as good as (and practically identical to) the Swedish adaptation which I also really liked.

Dragon Tattoo got great reviews in general and a lot of praise around here when it came out, yet now everybody thinks that it sucks for some reaspn.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

Slate Action posted:

Benjamin Button is definitely not good Fincher.

Neither is Panic Room really, so I find it puzzling that somebody could like "every Fincher movie but GWTDT".

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.
I can understand the lack of love for Fincher's version of The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo, as Oplev's own adaptation is already a really good thriller that harkens back to classic psycho thrillers like Silence of the Lambs. But that's the thing. Compared to Oplev's film, Fincher and Zaillian's version is almost like an anti-thriller, especially during the ending.

But that's also the same thing that kind of makes me annoyed when people imply that Fincher did 'nothing new' or some variation with the title. Maybe it was just seeing both films in relatively short succession, but it was almost immediately apparent to me that Fincher's film wasn't merely 'darker,' that all of the creative decisions he and Zaillian made, however subtle, not only dramatically changed the story but a lot of the subtext of the film, and in many cases, at least for me, it made for a more rewarding film.

It's like when people look at Gus Van Sant's Psycho and they still act like he's just copying Hitchcock's film verbatim - I can't argue with whatever someone's subjective experience was, but you shouldn't have to like a film to pay attention to it and respect its overt differences from another, especially if they do share a source.

Speaking of Psycho, I remember way back in the late-'90s and seeing the VHS for the Van Sant remake and having no consciousness of the Hitchcock film, so even before I knew of the shower scene, this was my only visual reference to Psycho:

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer

King Vidiot posted:

Neither is Panic Room really, so I find it puzzling that somebody could like "every Fincher movie but GWTDT".

I'm honestly with him pretty much. The only Finchers I haven't really are Benjamin Button and GWTDT but in both those cases I still think he directed the poo poo out of them, it's just the scripts themselves were pretty weak. I haven't read GWTDT or seen the original movies but I just don't think it's all that great of a story to begin with.

I also want to note that I think Panic Room is pretty great.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

King Vidiot posted:

Panic Room is lesser Fincher, but I wouldn't call it bad Fincher. There's still a lot to like in that movie.

I struggle to like anything about Dragon Tattoo. The cinematography's pretty, I guess? But it's not like it's the only Fincher movie with pretty cinematography.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

Fincher's take on Dragon Tattoo is probably the best he could have done, but the irritating parts of the original novel still sink it. A lot of major elements (elaborate hidden cryptograms!, Salander's meandering subplot, a Scooby-Doo level villain reveal) feel so played out and lifeless that it overwhelms the better aspects.

Franz von Dada
Feb 10, 2014

A Boy and His Parasite
I thought it was common knowledge that Fincher has a curse on him that makes him make a bad film for every great one.

Alien 3 - Bad
Seven - Good
The Game - Bad
Fight Club - Good
Panic Room - Bad
Zodiac - Good
Benjamin Button - Bad
Social Network - Good
Girl with the Dragon Tattoo - Bad

See?

You may argue that some of those "bad ones" are actually good, but you're wrong since that would ruin the theory. Thanks for your time.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

Franz von Dada posted:

I thought it was common knowledge that Fincher has a curse on him that makes him make a bad film for every great one.

Alien 3 - Bad
Seven - Good
The Game - Bad
Fight Club - Good
Panic Room - Bad
Zodiac - Good
Benjamin Button - Bad
Social Network - Good
Girl with the Dragon Tattoo - Bad

See?

You may argue that some of those "bad ones" are actually good, but you're wrong since that would ruin the theory. Thanks for your time.

Alien 3 - chopped up but not Fincher's fault
Seven - Great
The Game - Good
Fight Club - Good
Panic Room - Good
Zodiac - Great
Benjamin Button - Couldn't tell You
Social Network - Great
Girl with the Dragon Tattoo - eh

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
Alien 3 is a movie greatly improved by watching Alien Resurrection. After that you really appreciate how good you had it with Alien 3.

DNS
Mar 11, 2009

by Smythe

Mister Chief posted:

It towers over everything else, imo.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

I still say the most valuable thing about Dragon Tattoo is that nobody can call Alien 3 his worst film anymore, so maybe people will acknowledge that as the good movie it is.

I didn't know people didn't like The Game. I actually didn't like it much the first time I saw it, but on a recent rewatch I thought it was really great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DNS
Mar 11, 2009

by Smythe

...of SCIENCE! posted:

Dragon Tattoo got great reviews in general and a lot of praise around here when it came out, yet now everybody thinks that it sucks for some reaspn.

C'mon I remember a lot of lukewarm reactions here.