Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Are you getting the Wii U?
This poll is closed.
Yes 9031 65.25%
No 1191 8.60%
Maybe 808 5.84%
I'm an idiot 460 3.32%
Waluigi 1603 11.58%
Waa 748 5.40%
Total: 13841 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Suspicious Cook
Oct 9, 2012

Onward to burgers!

Moriatti posted:

Why not just use the Gamepad?

Are you using the HDMI cable?

I don't have one yet, this was just a preliminary question. Yes, I'd be using the HDMI cable.

How are the gamepad's speakers? I wouldn't imagine they'd be very good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Novasol
Jul 27, 2006

Suspicious Cook posted:

Probably a stupid question, but if I intended to hook a Wii U up to my computer monitor, is there any way to also use my computer's speakers or headphones?

I did this and it works fine, but it's going to depend on which inputs you have available for your monitor. In my case, all I had was a VGA port available, so I got one of these: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B008O7RH5C/ref=oh_details_o06_s00_i01?ie=UTF8&psc=1. If you have HDMI, you shouldn't need anything like this since HDMI carries the audio, so it would use your monitor's speakers.

The upside is that I was able to then rout the audio into my computer's line in port, so now I get my Wii U audio through my computer's headphones. You could also rout it to your monitor's line in and use its speakers.

Lagomorphic
Apr 21, 2008

AKA: Orthonormal

Suspicious Cook posted:

I don't have one yet, this was just a preliminary question. Yes, I'd be using the HDMI cable.

How are the gamepad's speakers? I wouldn't imagine they'd be very good.

They're not great but there is a headphones port.

CatsPajamas
Jul 4, 2013

I hated the new Stupid Newbie avatar so much that I bought a new one for this user. Congrats, Lowtax.

Suspicious Cook posted:

Probably a stupid question, but if I intended to hook a Wii U up to my computer monitor, is there any way to also use my computer's speakers or headphones?

Novasol posted:

I did this and it works fine, but it's going to depend on which inputs you have available for your monitor. In my case, all I had was a VGA port available, so I got one of these: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B008O7RH5C/ref=oh_details_o06_s00_i01?ie=UTF8&psc=1. If you have HDMI, you shouldn't need anything like this since HDMI carries the audio, so it would use your monitor's speakers.

The upside is that I was able to then rout the audio into my computer's line in port, so now I get my Wii U audio through my computer's headphones. You could also rout it to your monitor's line in and use its speakers.

Just as a heads up to Ultigonio I think technical stuff like this would be good for the Q&A section of the new OP. It's good to see we have people in this thread that have done this stuff an can answer these questions!

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

Smoove J posted:

I tried that a bit, I had read somewhere that you can share swords between the two characters but I guess you have to beat both once (maybe??).

The two sword trees do come together, yeah. Once you beat it and can break white barriers, you can also go do some of the fights that were once locked off to the other character, and you can get some REALLY tough battles.

Long John Power
Sep 11, 2001

Does anyone know how the Wii mode output on the Wii U differs from the output on a normal Wii? I was playing about with capturing footage and there seems to be a slight difference that is borking everything up.

Suspicious Cook
Oct 9, 2012

Onward to burgers!

Novasol posted:

Lagomorphic posted:

They're not great but there is a headphones port.

Both good to know, thanks. :)

My monitor doesn't have built in speakers, but if all else fails I can just pop some earbuds in the pad. I also have a standard def TV I could just use but I want these pretty games looking their prettiest.

Supgaiz
Jun 27, 2011

Long John Power posted:

Does anyone know how the Wii mode output on the Wii U differs from the output on a normal Wii? I was playing about with capturing footage and there seems to be a slight difference that is borking everything up.

Wii mode on the Wii U upscales the Wii output to 1080p as I understand it.

g0lbez
Dec 25, 2004

and then you'll beg
Are there any decent roguelikes for the Wii U? eshop or otherwise

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

I just beat "last" world on SM3DW the other day. At what point do you unlock Rosalina? I just started the first extra world.

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

Silver Falcon posted:

I just beat "last" world on SM3DW the other day. At what point do you unlock Rosalina? I just started the first extra world.

After beating the second level of World Star

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

g0lbez posted:

Just old Wii games... Shiren, Chocobo's Dungeon, Baroque, etc.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

JordanKai posted:

After beating the second level of World Star

Thanks! I was just wondering how close I was.

Inverness
Feb 4, 2009

Fully configurable personal assistant.
Is there some kind of adapter that would allow the Wii U Pro controller to be used with Wii mode games?

I found a nice adapter that would allow it to be used on the PC, and I even found an adapter that would allow the GameCube controller to be used with the Wii or Wii U. But nothing to allow the Wii U Pro Controller to be used with Wii. :ohdear:

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Inverness posted:

Is there some kind of adapter that would allow the Wii U Pro controller to be used with Wii mode games?

I found a nice adapter that would allow it to be used on the PC, and I even found an adapter that would allow the GameCube controller to be used with the Wii or Wii U. But nothing to allow the Wii U Pro Controller to be used with Wii. :ohdear:

No such luck. :(

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine
So, how do I get the Swift Sail in the Wind Waker?

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

"I stood there, wondering why the puck was getting bigger...

and then it hit me."

Austrian mook posted:

So, how do I get the Swift Sail in the Wind Waker?

You have to buy it at the auction house.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Shadow Ninja 64 posted:

You have to buy win it at the auction house.

Slight correction.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Also, try and go to the auction with around 1000 rupees or more; you want to win everything up to and including the Swift Sail. A guide said you can leave the auction and use the Song of Passing to cycle forward to the next night, but I got the stupid Joy Pendant like 10 times in a row ("so-and-so couldn't pay for it, so here it is again!") until I just gave up out of frustration and outbid everyone on everything. I think I spent around a total of 700 rupees to get the sail.

The key to winning for cheap is to outbid the highest bid by at least 10%, it "stuns" the others for 15 seconds. Then, just outbid yourself by 10% right as that 15 seconds elapses to chain stun them.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Ok, I gotta start playing this game. Chain stun auction house bidding. Sounds like a blast.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
For me I always have to bid more by 30 to stun, even from the beginning.

The Muffinlord
Mar 3, 2007

newbid stupie?
You can also just not bid until the last second, and then bid enough to stun them until the timer elapses.

mancalamania
Oct 23, 2008

enojy posted:

Also, try and go to the auction with around 1000 rupees or more; you want to win everything up to and including the Swift Sail. A guide said you can leave the auction and use the Song of Passing to cycle forward to the next night, but I got the stupid Joy Pendant like 10 times in a row ("so-and-so couldn't pay for it, so here it is again!") until I just gave up out of frustration and outbid everyone on everything. I think I spent around a total of 700 rupees to get the sail.

The key to winning for cheap is to outbid the highest bid by at least 10%, it "stuns" the others for 15 seconds. Then, just outbid yourself by 10% right as that 15 seconds elapses to chain stun them.

I think the mechanics of the auction are: if you let an auction end on a specific item and don't win it, that item will always be the auction item until you do win it; if you quit the auction before it ends, when you come back it'll be a random item (I don't even think you need the Song of Passing, but not sure). I have no idea why they did it that way though, and I did the same thing you did for a while (wasted 10-20 minutes trying to get anything but a Joy Pendant).

Long John Power
Sep 11, 2001

Supgaiz posted:

Wii mode on the Wii U upscales the Wii output to 1080p as I understand it.

Well that would explain it!

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
I JUST GOT A WII U.

I also got Mario Kart 8, I'm trying the code but keep getting errors, on top of that I'm only getting 4 options instead of the 10 I saw before(unless that changed, I wanted W101 but I'll settle for Mario).

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Inverness posted:

If you don't mind using an off-brand controller, I use one of these puppies (Amazon link).

They work in Wii mode as well as Wii U mode. They can just be a little bit fiddly to get them to work in Wii mode. Also, I bought two, but one was dead in the box when I opened it. (I let it sit for like a year though so that could be why.) Anyway, they're very comfortable and they've worked with all the games I've played them on. (Rayman Origins and Xenoblade, mostly.)

Shelf Adventure
Jul 18, 2006
I'm down with that brother

Alteisen posted:

I JUST GOT A WII U.

I also got Mario Kart 8, I'm trying the code but keep getting errors, on top of that I'm only getting 4 options instead of the 10 I saw before(unless that changed, I wanted W101 but I'll settle for Mario).

Are you American? Europe get a lot more games to choose from; you might have seen that list.

Zack_Gochuck
Jan 4, 2007

Stupid Wrestling People

g0lbez posted:

Unepic is sort of like a 2D dungeon crawler. The castle is the same every time you play, though. It'd be cool if it generated a new one every time you started your game.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

g0lbez posted:

Have you played Zombi U?

Bass Bottles
Jan 14, 2006

BOSS BATTLES DID NOTHING WRONG
I like how the Wii U keeps track of how long you play each game, but I keep a laptop on the couch with me at all times and spend a lot of time with the game paused while reading the internet.

I know the timer still counts when the game is paused, but what if you bring up the Home Menu? Does it stop the timer then?

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter

Silver Falcon posted:

If you don't mind using an off-brand controller, I use one of these puppies (Amazon link).

They work in Wii mode as well as Wii U mode. They can just be a little bit fiddly to get them to work in Wii mode. Also, I bought two, but one was dead in the box when I opened it. (I let it sit for like a year though so that could be why.) Anyway, they're very comfortable and they've worked with all the games I've played them on. (Rayman Origins and Xenoblade, mostly.)

Keep in mind that those are actually a wiimote + classic controller in a goofy shell, so the three Wii U games that actually require a Pro Controller will not work with them.

edit: Actually it looks like there's a second run of them that has a toggle mode, make sure yours has a mode switch on the back.

Smoove J
Sep 13, 2003

yeah Meade's ok I spose

Chronojam posted:

The two sword trees do come together, yeah. Once you beat it and can break white barriers, you can also go do some of the fights that were once locked off to the other character, and you can get some REALLY tough battles.

Kisuke's bosses seemed easier, or I figured out how to play, and I steamrolled through his story. Gonna try out the 1-hit-kill mode for all these extra swords/endings/etc. Excellent game.

Ultigonio
Oct 26, 2012

Well now.

Bass Bottles posted:

I know the timer still counts when the game is paused, but what if you bring up the Home Menu? Does it stop the timer then?
I am 99% sure it does, yes.

CatsPajamas posted:

Just as a heads up to Ultigonio I think technical stuff like this would be good for the Q&A section of the new OP. It's good to see we have people in this thread that have done this stuff an can answer these questions!
Noted!

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

Smoove J posted:

Kisuke's bosses seemed easier, or I figured out how to play, and I steamrolled through his story. Gonna try out the 1-hit-kill mode for all these extra swords/endings/etc. Excellent game.

Kisuke's sword abilities give you much more crowd control ability and way more time to breathe while you're invulnerable plus a lot of mobility instead of just shooting projectiles, which makes quite a difference.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
NOA finally clarified the Bayonetta 1/2 situation for North America: if you buy a retail copy of Bayo 2 you'll get Bayo 1 on a separate disc, and if you buy Bayo 2 on the eShop you'll get a free digital version of Bayo 1.

johnny sack
Jan 30, 2004

One day, this team will play to their expectations...

Just not this year..

So I just beat Pikmin 3. I have to say upfront that my TV is the following : this OLED curved screen TV. That being said, I believe Pikmin 3 may be the prettiest looking game I have ever played. The overall graphics are very good, but when you are on the scenes such as climbing up a tree limb, and you can't really 'look around', omg they are so pretty.

The game play itself took me a while to master, using the gamepad. It's really frustrating having an enemy scatter your troops and then having to whistle them back with the gamepad. That's my only complaint. Otherwise I enjoyed the game immensely.

Then today I went to amazon.com and suddenly there's a whole new slew of games you can preorder. I know nothing about any of them but I'm excited nevertheless.

Crawfish
Dec 11, 2012

Have you tried Mission mode yet?

That poo poo is intense. It makes the story mode look like some casual affair if you are going for the higher medal ranks in comparison.

Evil Canadian
Sep 10, 2000

No one man should have all that Psycho-Power.

So I will be transfering my Wii stuff to my Wii u soon and the graphic in the op leaves me a bit confused. Once stuff is switched over do the VC games count as Wii vc games still, or Wii U VC games for the purposes of using the pro controller?

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Evil Canadian posted:

So I will be transfering my Wii stuff to my Wii u soon and the graphic in the op leaves me a bit confused. Once stuff is switched over do the VC games count as Wii vc games still, or Wii U VC games for the purposes of using the pro controller?

They stay Wii VC games. The WiiU has a Wii "Channel" that operates exactly like the WiiOS, except it has a channel option to return to the WiiU menu.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quidthulhu
Dec 17, 2003

Stand down, men! It's only smooching!

Some of them you can pay a fee to upgrade to WiiU versions, though. Dunno which ones!

• Locked thread