Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.

morestuff posted:

Fincher's take on Dragon Tattoo is probably the best he could have done, but the irritating parts of the original novel still sink it. A lot of major elements (elaborate hidden cryptograms!, Salander's meandering subplot, a Scooby-Doo level villain reveal) feel so played out and lifeless that it overwhelms the better aspects.

I don't know that they're lifeless. I think he and his screenwriter deliberately don't play up those elements because they are trying to make The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo and not The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo and the Mystery of Nazi's Lake.

Seconding that Panic Room kicks rear end. Alien 3 is also uneven as Hell, but while it doesn't hold a candle to the previous two films, it's still a pretty fitting conclusion to the trilogy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

Franz von Dada posted:

You may argue that some of those "bad ones" are actually good, but you're wrong since that would ruin the theory. Thanks for your time.

Buddy that's not how the scientific method works

Hewlett
Mar 4, 2005

"DANCE! DANCE! DANCE!"

Also, drink
and watch movies.
That's fun too.

Yeah, The Game and Panic Room, I thought, were pretty great. I think they form a bit of a loose thematic (or at least tonal) trilogy in Fincher's works along with Zodiac.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

King Vidiot posted:

Neither is Panic Room really, so I find it puzzling that somebody could like "every Fincher movie but GWTDT".

Panic room is THe poo poo

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:

Hewlett posted:

Yeah, The Game and Panic Room, I thought, were pretty great. I think they form a bit of a loose thematic (or at least tonal) trilogy in Fincher's works along with Zodiac.

If there's a thematic trilogy among his filmography, it's def Panic Room, Zodiac, and The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo.

E: Eh... maybe Alien 3, Panic Room, and The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo.

Trump
Jul 16, 2003

Cute

Franz von Dada posted:

Zodiac - Good
Benjamin Button - Bad

Isn't it public knowledge that he only did Benjamin Button to get the money for Zodiac? As much as he had to apologize after refusing to talk about it at a screening?

Hewlett
Mar 4, 2005

"DANCE! DANCE! DANCE!"

Also, drink
and watch movies.
That's fun too.

Trump posted:

Isn't it public knowledge that he only did Benjamin Button to get the money for Zodiac? As much as he had to apologize after refusing to talk about it at a screening?

I thought the (strange) deal was that he treated The Social Network as a mercenary commercial job, and thought Girl with the Dragon Tattoo was his real artistic effort?

Pingiivi
Mar 26, 2010

Straight into the iris!
Benjamin Button is horrible and it feels like it's 8 hours long.

Just watch this and you'll know everything you need to know about it:
http://www.collegehumor.com/video/3856708/the-curious-case-of-forrest-gump

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:

The poster for Panic Room, I think, is an elegant example of one of those things that might seem cliche in a film poster - the inexplicable huge head of the actor dominating the screen - but actually serves the oppressive tone of Fincher's movie very well.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

Pingiivi posted:

Benjamin Button is horrible and it feels like it's 8 hours long.

The way it stretches out is especially funny because of how incredibly short the original short story is. Well over 90% of that movie is just padding and filler.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
I remember awhile ago I was rewatching Panic Room and I wondered whatever happened to that great child actress and then I realized it was Kristen Stewart and didn't know how to feel.

beanieson
Sep 25, 2008

I had the opportunity to change literally anything about the world and I used it to get a new av
I thought kristen stewart was a dude till like halfway through my first viewing of panic room.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:

beanieson posted:

I thought kristen stewart was a dude till like halfway through my first viewing of panic room.

She and Jodie Foster were the perfect pair for that story. They both really bring the best out of each other.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Fincher's Girl with the Dragon Tattoo is a much better film than the original Swedish version. And only partly because they only adapted the first book and didn't touch any of the terrible sequels.

Ghostpilot
Jun 22, 2007

"As a rule, I never touch anything more sophisticated and delicate than myself."
These days "a happy-go-huggy lark in the park" may get you arrested. :(

:dance: Cabbage Patch Sunday!

Uh-oh, looks like somebody missed out on the chicken.

It could be today!

Gotta respect a lady with boundaries.

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

axleblaze posted:

I remember awhile ago I was rewatching Panic Room and I wondered whatever happened to that great child actress and then I realized it was Kristen Stewart and didn't know how to feel.

Considering Stewart might end up being one of the most well-adjusted child actresses that actually continued to work into adulthood, I'm not sure if there's much to feel. Seriously, she did indie movies, got lucky with Twilight, made a shitload of money off that, and since then has pretty much just gone back to indie movies without missing a beat.

Here's a silly little factoid about Panic Room: originally, Nicole Kidman was going to be playing the mom, but she got injured while shooting The Others and had to back out at the last minute (she came in during the edit and ADR'd the ex-husband's girlfriend on the phone, though, which is kind of amazing because you don't notice it until it's pointed out). They had already cast her daughter and done some early shooting, so Fincher went to other actresses while keeping the kid on. After a couple weeks of negotiation, Jodie Foster, several months pregnant, agreed to come onto the movie, but within a few days Fincher was pretty much fed up with the kid, who he found a bit annoying. So he fired her, went back to the audition tapes, and found Stewart. Did a screen test with her and Foster, talked to her for like a half hour, realized she was chill as gently caress for a ten/eleven year old and was like "this is exactly what I want".

The first girl, the one Fincher fired? Hayden Panettiere.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

Ghostpilot posted:

Gotta respect a lady with boundaries.

She also has a nice taste in hats. Except on Sunday, she never wears hats on Sunday :v:

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
Goddamn this thing is awkward.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Dick Trauma posted:

Goddamn this thing is awkward.

It literally spoils the movie in it's tagline.

The assassin Eastwood is hunting is George Kennedy, his trainer and saviour when he falls off the mountain at the end with the other suspected assassins at the climax.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

axleblaze posted:

Alien 3 is a movie greatly improved by watching Alien Resurrection. After that you really appreciate how good you had it with Alien 3.

Like comparing a dad who beats you to a step-dad who rapes you.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

ruddiger posted:

Jesus christ.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Alien 3 is a hard sell, but its a good one if you're willing to go with it. No rape involved.

Nckdictator
Sep 8, 2006
Just..someone

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!

ruddiger posted:

Yes, that seems like a fair comparison. Completely justified.

What the gently caress is wrong with you?

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

I love my Gay Llyod-Young

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

ruddiger posted:

Agreed.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

ruddiger posted:

:staredog:

Dude....

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer

ruddiger posted:

More like comparing a Dad who makes you watch Alien 3 with one that makes you watch Alien Resurrection.

Oh I'm no good with metaphors :negative:

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

What the hell, I'll just eat some trash.

Alien 3 is a dad who's not very good at catch but goes out and throws with you sometimes, even if it's mostly you chasing the ball as it rolls down the alley. Alien 4 is a snide dad in a ponytail who the neighborhood moms won't let their kids carpool with.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
I don't know, the sheer tactlessness of that analogy made me laugh.

PKMN Trainer Red
Oct 22, 2007

Alien 3 is like Joseph Stalin personally bayoneting a POW to death while Alien 4 is like Hitler skullfucking a corpse in a Señor Frogs during Spring Break.
:goonsay:

Cpt. Spring Types
Feb 19, 2004

Wait, what?
Those Gone Girl teasers are fantastic, and based on the teaser trailer, they nailed the book. Really looking forward to it.

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

Begin the operations of the gas chambers, gas schools, gas universities, gas libraries, gas museums, gas dance halls, and gas threads, etcetera.
I DEMAND IT
Alien 3 is a better Alien movie than Aliens.

Also, the trailer for Fincher's GWTDT remains one of the best trailers I've seen in recent years.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

I, Butthole posted:

Alien 3 is a better Alien movie than Aliens.

Also, the trailer for Fincher's GWTDT remains one of the best trailers I've seen in recent years.

The opening credits of Fincher's GWTDT are enough to justify the entire movie. Best set of Bond parody credits since Taxi 3, and he had the current James Bond in the movie as well.

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
Alien 3 is like making a joke on a forum where jokes aren't illegal.

Slasherfan
Dec 2, 2003
IS IT WRONG THAT I ONCE WROTE A HORROR STORY ABOUT THE BUDDIES? YOU KNOW, THE TALKING PUPPIES?

I've never seen them advertising the amount of views a trailer got before.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Slasherfan posted:

I've never seen them advertising the amount of views a trailer got before.

I think that's the one where it turns out it was internet trolls doing it for the lulz all along and by all accounts, it's an irredeemable piece of poo poo. I suspect the review quote is taken out of context too.

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

Vagabundo posted:

I think that's the one where it turns out it was internet trolls doing it for the lulz all along and by all accounts, it's an irredeemable piece of poo poo. I suspect the review quote is taken out of context too.

Yup, the full movie was linked on the front page (or GBS? I don't remember) and I couldn't get past the first 10 minutes. It was excruciating. It's not good-bad, it's pain old bad.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

Vagabundo posted:

It's a lovely movie but the quote unfortunately isn't out of context.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThatPazuzu
Sep 8, 2011

I'm so depressed, I can't even blink.

Lizard Combatant posted:

Yup, the full movie was linked on the front page (or GBS? I don't remember) and I couldn't get past the first 10 minutes. It was excruciating. It's not good-bad, it's pain old bad.

There's a man who is crestfallen after being called pedo-bear. It's a good-bad movie.