Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ratoslov
Feb 15, 2012

Now prepare yourselves! You're the guests of honor at the Greatest Kung Fu Cannibal BBQ Ever!

Incidentally, the correct way to do knock is to have it permit you to make a pick locks check as if you were a decent (but not specialized) Rogue lock-picker, and also obviate the tools requirement. There you go. Worth memorizing if you don't have a rogue, but doesn't step on the rogue's feet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snorb
Nov 19, 2010
I'm kinda a big fan of 13th Age's version of Knock-- "You touch it, it opens. If what you touched was trapped, too bad for you, should've hired a rogue."

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
It's the same here. Knock still sets off traps.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The strongest! The smartest!
The rightest!
Here let me save you some trouble with the twitter.

@Anyone : The rules about <thing> are muddled, unclear, or otherwise hard to decipher.
@mikemearls : DM call, feature not a bug.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
From same twitter confimed that Wizards do not get damage on a miss with cantrips.

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off

MonsterEnvy posted:

From same twitter confimed that Wizards do not get damage on a miss with cantrips.

So that class feature, as printed, does... nothing, then?

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

PleasingFungus posted:

So that class feature, as printed, does... nothing, then?

Correct which is why Mike said they are going put some of the cantrips that actually benefit from it in basic soon.

Jack the Lad
Jan 20, 2009

Feed the Pubs

quote:

@mikemearls : Regarding Potent Cantrip - we'll add cantrips that can benefit from it to Basic D&D
@redcometcasval : it seems like it should do half damage on a missed attack as well.
@mikemearls : yeah, that's what it was, but that would limit abilities that modded cantrips
@mikemearls : damage on a miss tripped lots of groups. For instance, if my Cantrip also pushes does that apply with dmg on miss?
@redcometcasval : how is that any different than the current way with saves? It would just do damage, no additional effect.
@mikemearls : saves consistently work that way - pattern is throughout the game
It seems likely to me that it was an oversight. I don't see any other reason for them to have included Potent Cantrip in Basic without including cantrips that benefit from it. If they are adding cantrips that will benefit from it later, why not add Potent Cantrip later as well?

treeboy
Nov 13, 2004

James T. Kirk was a great man, but that was another life.
So wizard DPR is not as high as was being calculated, also interesting that fighters can get upwards of six attacks in a round with action surge

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world

Jack the Lad posted:

It seems likely to me that it was an oversight. I don't see any other reason for them to have included Potent Cantrip in Basic without including cantrips that benefit from it. If they are adding cantrips that will benefit from it later, why not add Potent Cantrip later as well?

This is such obvious bullshit. Obviously a cantrip that pushes on a hit doesn't push on a miss, even if it deals half damage. A shitload of spells in the basic .pdf deal damage + effect on a hit, half damage alone on a miss. Who the hell does he think he's fooling?

treeboy posted:

So wizard DPR is not as high as was being calculated, also interesting that fighters can get upwards of six attacks in a round with action surge

Six attacks in around with action surge if they're also dual wielding - you can only action surge once per turn. It's almost certainly better for your damage output to just penta-attack with a greatsword.

Wizard DPR is going to be as high as has been calculated within a few points, incidentally. There's a cleric cantrip attack that deals 1d8 -> 4d8 on a failed reflex save right there in the basic rules, and it's got the extra effect that it ignores cover, so there's no reason that a separate d10 damage cantrip won't come into being within a book or three. Note also that you're talking about the DPR of a wizard using at-will capabilities exclusively.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

Ferrinus posted:

This is such obvious bullshit. Obviously a cantrip that pushes on a hit doesn't push on a miss, even if it deals half damage. A shitload of spells in the basic .pdf deal damage + effect on a hit, half damage alone on a miss. Who the hell does he think he's fooling?

If only there were some way to clearly mark what parts of a spell trigger on a hit and those which go into effect no matter what.

Oh well, natural language!

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world

Maxwell Lord posted:

If only there were some way to clearly mark what parts of a spell trigger on a hit and those which go into effect no matter what.

Oh well, natural language!

This has nothing to do with the presence or absence of natural language. Thunderwave and Sunburst both clearly inflict full damage + effect on a hit, and half damage without an effect on a miss. Every vs. AC cantrip that inflicts a nondamaging effect reads "on a hit". Half damage on a miss creates no confusion whatsoever because the meaning of "hit" is clear even in the absence of highly technical formatting.

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I had a beer once with Stephen Miller and now I like him.

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!
Has there been any word on when the minis are being released?

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

treeboy posted:

8 Actually and that's not including bonus stuff like Two weapon fighting.

Mike Straight up said in fact that It straight up doubles the fighters extra attacks.

Let me find the Tweet.

Twitter posted:

@Bulletpointe : Action Surge + Extra Attack means double attacks, IE 3 normal attacks + AS equals six attacks, yes?
@mikemearls : yes

MonsterEnvy fucked around with this message at 18:48 on Jul 6, 2014

Father Wendigo
Sep 28, 2005
This is, sadly, more important to me than bettering myself.

Crain posted:

Has there been any word on when the minis are being released?
'August 2014' is the most I've heard. Heroclix has had a good bit of screwing around with release dates, but that's partially because they're trying to work around managing store only events.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

Father Wendigo posted:

'August 2014' is the most I've heard. Heroclix has had a good bit of screwing around with release dates, but that's partially because they're trying to work around managing store only events.

WizKids release schedule for their products is basically voodoo baked in bullshit, so there's really no reason for anyone to hold their breath.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011
Heroclix has a laborious licensor approval process to deal with. I doubt DDM 2: PVC Boogaloo has it that bad.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

MonsterEnvy posted:

8 Actually and that's not including bonus stuff like Two weapon fighting.

You don't really want to take two-weapon fighting as a fighter though because it's one extra attack gets increasingly useless as you gain secondary attacks during your progression. It's really more for the thief who wants it to increase their chance to land sweet, sweet sneak attack damage which they would otherwise miss out on whenever they miss their single attack.

slydingdoor
Oct 26, 2010

Are you in or are you out?
Rogues can throw two daggers a turn because twf allows throwing now. Too bad darts aren't light weapons for some reason.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

At least that's a positive.
Throgue builds. Fluff it up with literally having daggers/throwing knives wherever there is space on your body. On holsters on torso and belt, around thigh, around calf, in boot, in cloak, in hood, hidden in cuffs and on wrist, on elbows, on upper back, on lower back.

The possibilities for a Throgue are endless. And the roleplay when being checked for weapons hilarious.

P.d0t
Dec 27, 2007
I released my finger from the trigger, and then it was over...

Rigged Death Trap posted:

And the roleplay when being checked for weapons hilarious.

Basically the metal-detector scene from The Matrix.

Father Wendigo
Sep 28, 2005
This is, sadly, more important to me than bettering myself.

Rigged Death Trap posted:

At least that's a positive.
Throgue builds. Fluff it up with literally having daggers/throwing knives wherever there is space on your body. On holsters on torso and belt, around thigh, around calf, in boot, in cloak, in hood, hidden in cuffs and on wrist, on elbows, on upper back, on lower back.

The possibilities for a Throgue are endless. And the roleplay when being checked for weapons hilarious.
Suddenly, every failed DEX check to stay upright becomes a Save or Die.

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I had a beer once with Stephen Miller and now I like him.

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!

Father Wendigo posted:

Suddenly, every failed DEX check to stay upright becomes a Save or Die.

You can have sheaths for them :v:

Also since getting the Starter Set yesterday I've started making my dungeon terrain for the first part (the goblin's cave).

Hope it doesn't count as :files:, but here's the first 3 room layouts I've done:

http://imgur.com/a/aEPhQ

Going to just plot out the main rooms like this then use pink foam board to make the hallways and get the different heights right.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

P.d0t posted:

Basically the metal-detector scene from The Matrix.

This seems slightly more appropriate

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
Or this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yDvMPaspKds

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.
Has anyone played in games where characters get 4+ attacks per turn?

I never played high level 3.0-4x, but found that one attack per action (even if it hits multiple people or could lead to subsequent cleave-style attacks) balances the amount of time each player gets to act in combat, which is a good indicator of player focus.

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Does that mean I don't get the job?

Golden Bee posted:

Has anyone played in games where characters get 4+ attacks per turn?

I never played high level 3.0-4x, but found that one attack per action (even if it hits multiple people or could lead to subsequent cleave-style attacks) balances the amount of time each player gets to act in combat, which is a good indicator of player focus.

Yes, and unless that character's attacks all have the same bonus to hit it just ends up being a giant waste of time and slows the game down to a crawl.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Slimnoid posted:

Yes, and unless that character's attacks all have the same bonus to hit it just ends up being a giant waste of time and slows the game down to a crawl.

Luckily in 5e they do.

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God
Some more quotes if you don't visit the other thread.

quote:

@redcometcasval : That makes sense. I still don't like that the Evoker has an ability that does absolutely nothing as of right now.
@mikemearls : that makes two of us

@psikerlord : Can you tell us if there a feat buffing concentration in PHB?
@mikemearls : Don't believe so. Concentration is pretty key to balance - we'll avoid making it something you can ignore.
@psikerlord : hmm a shame IMO, guess self buffing ain't for straight wizards in 5e
@mikemearls : It's tricky to pull off - you basically need to rely on one buff at a time.

quote:

@CHoffos : Question Mike. Tiamat will be fought in the Finale of Tyranny of Dragons Rise of Tiamat correct?
@mikemearls : if your characters play their cards right, or wrong depending on how you look at it

@CHoffos : 2nd Question will Monsters with the same CR ever have diffrent XP values or will it be like the starter were they are the same
@mikemearls : believe equal cr means equal xp

@CHoffos : One more question will alerts be sent out when Basic D&D is updated.
@mikemearls : we'll have a news item on the site

quote:

@Plaguescarred : Does Empowered Evocation let you add your INT mod to every magic missiles?
@mikemearls : nope, just per target. Even though missiles are separate, it's technically one damage roll per target, not missile
@Plaguescarred : Ok thanks
@ritorix : So if you split the missiles to 3 different targets, it would get INT mod to each.
@mikemearls : Correct. Basically, it's gain +Int mod once per creature affected by the spell.

@Plaguescarred : Do you use the Use an Object action to drink potion, expand rod/wand/staff/ring charges? Ref rogue's Cunning Action + Fast Hand.
@mikemearls : items specify the actions needed to use them. Believe potion is an action
@Plaguescarred : I know it use an action. The question is, do you use the Use an Object action while doing so.
@mikemearls : I think so

@pukunui81 : What is a "divination card"? (Trinket #16) #DnD5e
@mikemearls : a card from a tarot deck or something similar

Dang it!

quote:

@Khanyoudigit1 : Text for blindsense says they "perceive" w/o seeing. I take it "perceive" and "see" are mechanically identical.
@mikemearls : basically

@monstermanual : Would it be easy to level up Hoard of the Dragon Queen for 5th level, post-Phandelver PCs? @mikemearls
@mikemearls : it's episodic, so you can start the campaign at the half way point, summarize what came before

@FoldableHuman : Do the starter set monsters use the most recent monster math or an old version due to printing deadlines, and what's changed?
@mikemearls : most recent math
@FoldableHuman : Does that mean CR 20 creatures have ~500 HP?
@mikemearls : sounds in the ballpark, but I don't have an MM manuscript handy
@FoldableHuman : Fighter DPR caps out around 45 w/o magic items. Is 12% HP/char/round the anticipated sweet spot, or are magic items assumed?
@FoldableHuman : (We've been making graphs)
@mikemearls : no magic items assume. @wotc_rodney would know more, but he's deep into the MM today

quote:

@Morrus : GODDAMMIT! There's a really obvious typo near the front of my playtest document. I checked that infinity plus one times!
@mikemearls : I'm pretty sure that every time you review a doc, the universe secretly adds a typo to it

@dungeonbastard : Just invented a new term for #DnD 5e: Disadvanrage. That's when you roll with advantage and still miss.

@Morrus : This is RIDICULOUSLY good. Monster ENCyclopedia: Aarakocra http://www.enworld.org/forum/showthread.php?356456-Monster-ENCyclopedia-Aarakocra … via @Morrus

quote:

@MWDuo : A wizard cannot cast more than 1 spell that requires concentration w/o the 1st spell ending. Why no buff stacking? @mikemearls
@mikemearls : a lot of balance to the table, nerfs alpha striking to some extent

@rdonoghue : Delighted and unsurprised to see @mikemearls being grown up about stuff.
@mikemearls : thanks!
@rdonoghue : I am possibly somewhat meaner on the topic of how skills are structured in the starter set, so it balances out.
@mikemearls : it was a pretty interesting read. Not sure if I should talk design intent or let you finish reading
@rdonoghue : Definitely let me finish, as I am entirely happy to be wrong along the way.

@SarahDarkmagic : There are huge blindspots when it comes to gender in the Starter Set adventure.
@mikemearls : Art or text? Or both?

quote:

@vikke064 : Why was "Shocking grasp" changed from a save? Also ruined my concept for a wizard using shocking grasp+sculpt spell...
@mikemearls : Sorry, no real insight into that.

@vikke064 : I have found at least one missing word in the Basic pdf. Any place to report them in a way that is easy for devs to handle?
@mikemearls : Not yet - hold on to it for now. And thanks for noting it!

@mikemearls : Another raft of rules options and modules for the DMG sent downriver to @gregbilsland - time for a cold drink and some fun in the sun.

quote:

@jurph : I love the new 5e rules. Wife was sad to see no paladin option - can I assume it's in the PHB with ranger, sorc, etc.?
@mikemearls : Correct!

@ETallitnics : Good day Mr. Mearls! Does the Thrown property satisfy the Rogue's Sneak Attack requirement of Ranged Weapon? #Thanks
@mikemearls : Yes, at least that is the intent, both for melee and ranged sneak attacks.

quote:

@Plaguescarred : Thrown weapon like handaxe is listed as melee weapon can you still Sneak Attack with it even if its not a ranged or finesse?
@mikemearls : yes, as it is a ranged weapon since it's thrown
@WolfHunter83 : You have said many times that Magic Items are optional. Why then the Rogue has the "Use Magic Devise" Feature?
@mikemearls : basically it's not powerful enough that not using it puts the rogue behind.

quote:

@MerricB : Concentration mechanic is really interesting - lots of effects I wasn't initially aware of. Want to see it in play! #dnd5e
mikemearls : I have to admit it's my favorite new rule. Cleans up stacking, makes lockdown effects and buffs much trickier to manage
@MerricB : And provides no end of amusement to the DM when a red dragon breathes on a group using a fly spell? ;)
@minipete : yup, we definitely had talks on that part of the fly/concentration mechanic...

‏@MerricB : How goes work on the Monster Manual? Can you give us any indication of how many monsters will be included? #dnd
@mikemearls : little too early for that - doing final fit and making final playtest changes

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

MonsterEnvy posted:

Luckily in 5e they do.

You're still rolling 4x 2D20 whenever you have (dis)advantage, unless you're using four different paired colors of dice or whatever. It's not much of an improvement over different modifiers, and in some ways is probably worse.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

moths posted:

You're still rolling 4x 2D20 whenever you have (dis)advantage, unless you're using four different paired colors of dice or whatever. It's not much of an improvement over different modifiers, and in some ways is probably worse.

Well that's only going happen at higher levels anyway and the Fighter is still useful. (And I use an online table top so the rolls are automatic. So it does not bother me.)

ritorix
Jul 22, 2007

Vancian Roulette
@Plaguescarred : Does Empowered Evocation let you add your INT mod to every magic missiles?
@mikemearls : nope, just per target. Even though missiles are separate, it's technically one damage roll per target, not missile
@Plaguescarred : Ok thanks
@ritorix : So if you split the missiles to 3 different targets, it would get INT mod to each.
@mikemearls : Correct. Basically, it's gain +Int mod once per creature affected by the spell.

I was surprised about this one. So you only get +INT to a spell once, except sometimes you don't. We are used to that with AE spells but not with something like individual missiles. Seems a bit wacky but the alternative is you have to pick one target that gets +INT and the rest don't.

Also there's some encounter design math up: http://www.wizards.com/dnd/Article.aspx?x=dnd/4ll/20140707

As usual you multiply by number of party members.

Also those rat swarms are now worth tons of XP: "To account for this [being swarmed], multiply the XP value of an encounter by 1.5 if the monsters outnumber the adventurers by two-to-one. If the monsters outnumber the characters by three-to-one, multiply the XP total by 2. For a four-to-one advantage, multiply the XP total by 2.5, and so on."

ritorix fucked around with this message at 07:20 on Jul 7, 2014

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?
I should join the 21st Century and get a laptop or ipad program to organize and run my 5th ed D&D campaign. Any one have some suggestions on what a good tool would be?

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

Comstar posted:

I should join the 21st Century and get a laptop or ipad program to organize and run my 5th ed D&D campaign. Any one have some suggestions on what a good tool would be?

I just use a plain old text editor, but I've seen lots of people recommend Masterplan.

Rexides
Jul 25, 2011

Masterplan has great 4E integration, but if you ignore all the specific 4E bits (monster stats, mostly), it can be used for most other games.

Laphroaig
Feb 6, 2004

Drinking Smoke
Dinosaur Gum

ritorix posted:

Also there's some encounter design math up: http://www.wizards.com/dnd/Article.aspx?x=dnd/4ll/20140707

As usual you multiply by number of party members.

Also those rat swarms are now worth tons of XP: "To account for this [being swarmed], multiply the XP value of an encounter by 1.5 if the monsters outnumber the adventurers by two-to-one. If the monsters outnumber the characters by three-to-one, multiply the XP total by 2. For a four-to-one advantage, multiply the XP total by 2.5, and so on."

So designing encounters on the fly looks to be really loving hard compared to 4E... does the CR system automatically do this math for me or something? I'm willing to give them the benefit of the doubt that I won't have to pull out a spreadsheet to do my encounter design like the bad old days of 3.5.

Still doesn't match up to the ease of balancing 4E encounters though. Shame.

Sanglorian
Apr 13, 2013

Games, games, games
Thought you might be interested to see that someone is in the process of cloning 5E: https://www.srd5.org/

Misandu
Feb 28, 2008

STOP.
Hammer Time.

Laphroaig posted:

So designing encounters on the fly looks to be really loving hard compared to 4E... does the CR system automatically do this math for me or something? I'm willing to give them the benefit of the doubt that I won't have to pull out a spreadsheet to do my encounter design like the bad old days of 3.5.

Okay so. An Ogre is CR 2 and worth 450 XP. A Challenging level 2 encounter is (140XP x 4) 560 XP. According to the advice they're giving you, that Ogre plus some mooks is a Challenging level 2 encounter. Now remember that the article explicitly says that the Ogre can take out most first level characters in a single hit so it wouldn't make a good level 1 fight. How much more HP do you really get going into level 2 though? Maybe an average of about 7-8 for the really tough characters? The extra few goblins you sprinkle in should be able to handle that no problem.

Really that Ogre should probably be CR 4. That would mean that 4 of them would be a Hard encounter for 4th level characters, and would nicely adhere to 4th Editions "Don't use Monsters +3 levels ahead of the party" advice, while still making it available to use by the book's own logic against level 2 parties. Instead we're probably going to get another one of those charts about using lower CR monsters together to create more challenging encounters, or wait maybe we already got some advice on how to do that!

Mike Mearls in L&L posted:

You might find that you'll use this system of challenge rating and XP budgets to familiarize yourself with fifth edition encounters and combat, then slowly dial it back as your intuitive sense of the party's strengths and your own personal DMing style take over. And as with any tool, you might end up using these guidelines in ways that their creators could never have predicted. Have fun, and make the rules your own.
Accidentally TPKing the party is all part of your unique journey into GM-hood.

Littlefinger
Oct 13, 2012

Misandu posted:

Accidentally TPKing the party is all part of your unique journey into GM-hood.
This guy. :suicide:

There goes my hope that even if they just released a homage to 3e, at least they would have learned to actually include robust DMing tools and aids during the dark years of the 4e yoke. Nope.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LFK
Jan 5, 2013

Laphroaig posted:

Aside from the 10-11, 12-13, 15-16, 19-20 clumps (lol, wtf?) it's basically 4e's guidelines, just presented in a less clear and less coherent manner.

If you translate it into a sane chart that bothers to draw an assumption about party size then it's actually useful.

Misandu posted:

Really that Ogre should probably be CR 4. That would mean that 4 of them would be a Hard encounter for 4th level characters, and would nicely adhere to 4th Editions "Don't use Monsters +3 levels ahead of the party" advice, while still making it available to use by the book's own logic against level 2 parties. Instead we're probably going to get another one of those charts about using lower CR monsters together to create more challenging encounters, or wait maybe we already got some advice on how to do that!
I wouldn't use monsters even 1-2 CR ahead of the party, especially not earlier than level 5. The Starter Set has that level 8 Green Dragon, but it's basically just a challenge fight to see if they can even get it down to half before it kills everyone. If they manage that it flies off and they get their fat loot.

Oh, and here's a chart of expected monster DPR vs middling PC hit points. I went right down the middle to reduce the spread. In practice most everyone is going to aim for a +5 which helps tons.

Something I'm not quite sure of, though, is that if my Con goes up do I get back-pay on the hit points?