Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TheSpiritFox
Jan 4, 2009

I'm just a memory, I can't give you any new information.

Booga posted:

The new update for TF2 gave the pyro class the ability to push people away with an air blast, it's quite a useful tool for clearing sticky bombs, pushing away attackers who could easily kill you and deflecting projectiles. I've been using it to push stickies into my own teams spawn area and, when given the chance, chasing down enemy spies and keeping them pushed against walls until my ammo runs out and then meleeing them once they try to run away.

Also with the medic update came the uber saw. It charges your uber by 25% on every hit. The day I got it I got a friend to be an enemy spy, healed him and sawed him and then ubered him just so he could sap my own teams buildings in complete safety.

TF2 is amazingly grief friendly.

:allears: Pyro's didn't used to airblast, I feel old.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

serbp
Nov 30, 2013

Odobenidae posted:

dude nobody cares about your stupid slapfight, give it a rest and post some griefs instead

yes i agree, less arguing, more cool griefs

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!

Wild T posted:

Playing the objective always pisses of the super serious crowd.

Back when I played MechWarrior Online, a guaranteed way of pissing people off was to actually win the game by capturing points on the capture points maps, rather than both sides getting an equal number of points and then slugging it out like a deathmatch. The best part is that it was really only possible because they were focusing on capturing points, too(usually the teams avoided each other because, say, both of them were going in a counterclockwise rotation capturing stuff from each other. If theirs had just reversed rotation direction, it would've been a full frontal collision), so ultimately they were shrieking at you for simply winning in the same way they were trying to win(calling you a scrub and a lame dork who didn't want to play in a FUN way), but being better at it.

For more intentional attempts at pissing people off, though, there was loading up a pair of the smallest, lightest mechs possible with nothing but flamers... which were hugely, hugely lovely weapons. Even with seven hardpoints' worth of them you did less damage than literally any one other weapon in the game. They do throw up huge gouts of vision-obscuring flame, though, and also increase internal heat on the target(all weapon firing also produces heat, heat up too much and you power down for cooldown for a bit, and if you get too much heat, it also cooks part of your mech, damaging you). Mind, the heat-increase was so low that, again, you literally needed two guys in unison to produce it in any noticeable amount.

It was very possible to play with a friend and run out to some jackass on the edge of the fight sniping with Gauss or PPC weapons(the latter of which produce huge amounts of heat, too) and just run in little tight circles around him flaming the hell out of him. The flames would obscure his vision(despite doing no damage, they later introduced a third-person camera, which would at least prevent this part), he'd be turning too slow to really be able to track you(if he was a Heavy or Assault, at least, which was almost guaranteed if he was sniping) and every time he took a shot he'd shut down for almost half a minute to sit there and fume. And often his team would be involved in actually fighting and hence completely unable and unwilling to help him out.

Admittedly it required a bit of luck to pull off since just one actually helpful enemy could disrupt it, but it did get some people pretty drat angry that their pimped-out long range mechs were essentially being locked down by the most incredibly useless thing imaginable(with the most atrocious, least-serious paintjobs imaginable, of course) and, eventually(really, eventually, I think it once took us almost three minutes to kill a heavy while a couple of good alpha strikes from Gauss, PPC or Autocannon weapons can accomplish the same in literally a single shot sometimes), killed by them.

I imagine that just saying "hi" would have pissed off most of that playerbase, though, good God, the shrieking even the slightest thing could produce. Introducing the third-person camera? DESTROYING THE GAME FOREVER HOW DARE YOU GAME DEVELOPERS WRAAAARGH.

Kewpuh
Oct 22, 2003

when i dip you dip we dip

Control Volume posted:

Nah he's talking about wuat, the guy who dug up real life info on a girl to get her phone number, call her up, call her fat and ugly, then post it on the internet, then complain loudly that people didn't find it very hilarious and good.

Got further info on this or a link or whatever?

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
The number of total nerds on MWO was always incredible. Goons tended to assign their House affiliation to the most hated/jerkwad house in the mythos (I don't even remember what house this is now - Liao?), purely so the hxc roleplay mechwarrior nerds that would drop with us would have to say poo poo like "we'll put our...differences...aside for now."

Then we'd squawk at them, which would make them ultra mad, because who the gently caress squawks? God drat, loving idiots. Then we'd alpha strike the poo poo out of them when they were out of armor and ready to keel over. One time my lance got 58 lines of venom from one pubbie we'd offended in this way. I COUNTED. In terms of effort to payoff it was one of the most profitable griefs I'd ever pulled off.

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

Kewpuh posted:

Got further info on this or a link or whatever?

Pretty sure it's all this stuff.

Magres
Jul 14, 2011

Coolguye posted:

The number of total nerds on MWO was always incredible. Goons tended to assign their House affiliation to the most hated/jerkwad house in the mythos (I don't even remember what house this is now - Liao?), purely so the hxc roleplay mechwarrior nerds that would drop with us would have to say poo poo like "we'll put our...differences...aside for now."

Then we'd squawk at them, which would make them ultra mad, because who the gently caress squawks? God drat, loving idiots. Then we'd alpha strike the poo poo out of them when they were out of armor and ready to keel over. One time my lance got 58 lines of venom from one pubbie we'd offended in this way. I COUNTED. In terms of effort to payoff it was one of the most profitable griefs I'd ever pulled off.

The Tetatae gimmick was singlehandedly the best effort:funny ratio grief I've ever seen. One 'SQUAAAWWK' per game got such an unbelievable amount of rage from pubbies. Just line after line of 'gently caress GOONS RUINING OUR loving GAME I'M GOING TO <horrible thing> YOUR ENTIRE FAMILY'

BigLeafyTree
Oct 21, 2010

Coolguye posted:

Isn't the reaction to squawks a thing because there was some horrible lore with bird people that all the 'serious' players would rather pretend didn't exist?

Kewpuh
Oct 22, 2003

BBJoey posted:

Pretty sure it's all this stuff.

Oh okay so it was g0t_hats that did that and not the other dude. Looks like Axe hit him with a monther for being a loving weirdo creep but that honestly doesn't seem like enough punishment to me

g0t_hats
Jan 17, 2014

Kewpuh posted:

Oh okay so it was g0t_hats that did that and not the other dude. Looks like Axe hit him with a monther for being a loving weirdo creep but that honestly doesn't seem like enough punishment to me

What exactly did I do outside of this forum forever ago that deserves punishment now?

For the record she gave me that information, lol.

Kewpuh
Oct 22, 2003

g0t_hats posted:

What exactly did I do outside of this forum forever ago that deserves punishment now?

For the record she gave me that information, lol.

why didn't you say that she gave you the info back when this was going on instead of saying that it was her fault that her profile wasn't private and that it was her fault that you so easily stumbled upon it and then called her and that it was her fault that she answered the phone so you could say that you were going to rape her 5 year old kid or some poo poo

Kewpuh
Oct 22, 2003

Just trying to get the facts straight here on why you're still on these forums when you openly admit to being the nutcase that looked up some girl streamer's information and called her up and said you were going to rape her family

g0t_hats
Jan 17, 2014

Kewpuh posted:

why didn't you say that she gave you the info back when this was going on instead of saying that it was her fault that her profile wasn't private and that it was her fault that you so easily stumbled upon it and then called her and that it was her fault that she answered the phone so you could say that you were going to rape her 5 year old kid or some poo poo

Because it was in the video that got linked? She gave everyone in the server her full name and the city/state where she lived. I never called her wtf are you talking about dude?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IGbhJG0sogQ

Kewpuh posted:

Just trying to get the facts straight here on why you're still on these forums when you openly admit to being the nutcase that looked up some girl streamer's information and called her up and said you were going to rape her family

When did I threaten to rape some streamers family? Please enlighten me. I was already probated for a month idk what your problem is.

g0t_hats fucked around with this message at 01:56 on Jul 7, 2014

Kewpuh
Oct 22, 2003

g0t_hats posted:

Because it was in the video that got linked? She gave everyone in the server her full name and the city/state where she lived. I never called her wtf are you talking about dude?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IGbhJG0sogQ

sorry its hard to piece together information from reading forum posts

also i went back to this: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2886637&pagenumber=425&perpage=40#post424531149

and the youtube link embedded is private and all of the following posts make it sound like its a phonecall

Kewpuh
Oct 22, 2003

I guess just tell me exactly what happened so I dont have a bunch of wrong information

g0t_hats
Jan 17, 2014

Kewpuh posted:

I guess just tell me exactly what happened so I dont have a bunch of wrong information

Why do I need to discuss any of this again it happened in January

RiotGearEpsilon
Jun 26, 2005
SHAVE ME FROM MY SHELF
j'accuse

Kewpuh
Oct 22, 2003

g0t_hats posted:

Why do I need to discuss any of this again it happened in January

because it's a time honored tradition that loving lunatics aren't welcome here?

g0t_hats
Jan 17, 2014

Kewpuh posted:

Why do you continue to insult me?

How exactly am I a "loving lunatic?"

John T Scrungus
Oct 23, 2010

:confused:

Kewpuh posted:

I'm not so sure about that mate.

Kewpuh
Oct 22, 2003

Did you tell some chick that you were going to rape her 5 year old?

g0t_hats
Jan 17, 2014

Kewpuh posted:

Did you tell some chick that you were going to rape her 5 year old?

Did you watch the video? Do you not know what griefing is?

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE

g0t_hats posted:

When did I threaten to rape some streamers family? Please enlighten me. I was already probated for a month idk what your problem is.

g0t_hats
Jan 17, 2014

Is she a streamer?

Kewpuh
Oct 22, 2003

Alright so it was just poo poo you were saying via voice comms in counterstrike. That's infinitely better than digging up some chicks info and calling her like I was lead to believe. She's also using some pretty horrible loving language around the 5 year old girl that is supposedly sitting on her lap. On the flip side, normal functioning adults don't really say poo poo like "yo i'm gonna pound your 5 year old daughter's vagina, nigga" yea?

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Man, the only places you've ever posted are basically this thread, and its all poo poo.

g0t_hats
Jan 17, 2014

Kewpuh posted:

Alright so it was just poo poo you were saying via voice comms in counterstrike. That's infinitely better than digging up some chicks info and calling her like I was lead to believe. She's also using some pretty horrible loving language around the 5 year old girl that is supposedly sitting on her lap. On the flip side, normal functioning adults don't really say poo poo like "yo i'm gonna pound your 5 year old daughter's vagina, nigga" yea?

Can we move on?

Stunt_enby
Feb 6, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

g0t_hats posted:

Can we move on?
You are a pedophile.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

g0t_hats posted:

Can we move on?

Close your account.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

BigLeafyTree posted:

Isn't the reaction to squawks a thing because there was some horrible lore with bird people that all the 'serious' players would rather pretend didn't exist?

Truthfully, the only 'lore' I've read from the Battletech universe is a few of Michael Stackpole's books back when I was in high school and I had a manboner for him, so I don't know. What I can tell you is that, yes, there were a lot of super serious immersion players in MWO who got very, very angry at people squawking, and even more angry when the squawk was returned from the other team, and half of both teams decided to play Pubbiemon instead of fighting. Or, god forbid, the squawk started on the opposing team, and was then echoed in joyous cacophony from the rest of the opposing team, because those goddamn goons use mumble and it's just not fair. Also it typically meant there was like a minute solid of just people squawking at eachother.

g0t_hats
Jan 17, 2014

Stuntman posted:

You are a pedophile.

can you explain how that is true?

kirbysuperstar posted:

Close your account.

Don't cyberbully me.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!
Another game with an extremely angry and twitchy playerbase was APB:Reloaded. It had a huge reputation for hackers(at least PARTIALLY deserved, though it was sometimes hard to tell who was legitimately just badass at the game and who was outright hacking, and the general paranoid witchhunt and the developers' constant cageyness about addressing the issue made everyone quicker on the accuse-trigger), so you really only needed to beat someone a bit at the game to get them pissed at you. I've got literally at least half a hundred screenshots of people just spewing out rage, both in whispers and public, telling me to die and go suck the devil's cock for a thousand years. Even better, the game's built-in voice chat was both team and proximity, so your team could always hear you perfectly, but so could anyone right around you.

When dead, your location was your corpse. So if you just killed someone you could stand on their dead body and hear them flip their poo poo. Playing with a female character seemed to up the vitriol by a good bit, and got me my fair share of being called a STUPID HACKER SLUT oval office. Never got old.

To get closer to actually griefing, one of the options for the Enforcers(cop characters) was non-lethal weapons that only stunned enemies(at least at first), after which they could then run up to the stunned enemy and arrest them. In theory, this was harder to do than outright kills because the weapons had less damage(not THAT much less), less range(that, at least, was true, no sniper non-lethal weapons were available) and running up to and arresting someone exposed you to enemy fire. In practice, the LTL weapons were actually BETTER than a lot of normal weapons(one had literally NO accuracy bloom even at full fire rate, making it practically a sniper rifle) and you could always just shoot someone after stunning them, for no penalty(though shooting them after ARRESTING did have a penalty). It got people angry both because you killed them with a weak weapon(which also was 50% bright orange plastic, making it look like a toy, not one of their SUPER SERIOUS guns) and because after being arrested they had to sit around and stare at their cuffed-and-kneeling character for like ten seconds before respawning(a friend could uncuff them during this, but that really NEVER happened). A good bit of anger if you arrested someone over and over, especially if they considered themselves utterly awesome at the game.

It also helped to look utterly ridiculous. A lot of people had fun with the character customization options(I've been killed by the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, the Mario Brothers, the Joker and Harley Quinn and dozens of other REALLY fun recreations), but so many others just looked like fanfic characters. Like with the Starfleet Dental stuff, nothing pisses these people off more than when someone else isn't taking their power fantasy as seriously as they are.

Someone earlier also mentioned driving around the dump trucks, due to their high max speeds and crazy mass, they could smash or shove just about any vehicle in the game(one of the ways to damage non-hostile vehicles was to pin them against walls with enough force to destroy them, it wouldn't always work, but the game was... imperfect in detecting when it should and should not work, and unoccupied vehicles were always fair game). Each map only had a couple at any given time, though, however, there was an alternative:

Enforcers got this big lump of a car which was about the heaviest vehicle short of the dump truck and ambulance, which could be spawned over and over, and was certainly heavy enough to derail, stop or just completely screw up for a half minute or so most of the game's other vehicles(it had, even after many balancing passes, some HILARIOUS vehicle physics, half the cars drove like they were on loving ice, most of the fast cars were so low slung that in a head-on collision they often functioned as a RAMP for the other vehicle, sending it flying over their heads, etc.). This could often be used for griefing, as a lot of in-game missions were decided by what faction got to the next objective fastest, and in some cases the final objective involved keeping something(or someone) out of enemy hands, often most easily accomplished by putting it in a car and driving it around at high speed... until a gaudily-painted, angry yellow truck sidewinded you, anyway.

In which case your only recourse was to impotently shriek "BUMBLE BEE FAG TRUCK" at the striped yellow abomination rocketing off into the distance.

Bounties were another thing. There were two ways to attack just about anyone on the map, whether in a hostile mission or not, one of them Enforcer-only. Firstly, if someone was on a super-awesome killing streak, they got "bountied," i.e. they were turned openly aggressive to EVERYONE, and marked on the map, meaning that everyone otherwise idling would converge on them and try to take them down, potentially something that could gently caress up whatever mission they were in if they were a lynchpin of the defense(and with many fights being only 4v4, and with many spawn points shittily placed, they could be out of the fight for a good minute or more leaving their team outnumbered by a good bit if it was an otherwise relatively even battle). If you WERE the bounty, however, and not too concerned with your mission(or it had just ended with you stille bountied), you suddenly had carte blanche to gently caress up EVERYONE. Which meant it was either time to find a good sniping position and just pop pubbies in the head from a central location as they tried to come for you(or rolled past on their missions), or go out in a blaze of glory with the rocket launcher or heavy machinegun(which made short work of practically ANY car) to disrupt car chases and blow up people's delightful custom cars.

The game also had some, really terrible, open-world mechanics where Criminals could bust stores and steal civilian cars and hand them in for cash, they then eventually had to hand in their dirty cash for laundering, after which they got a crappy reward. IF, however, they had enough dirty cash on them, passing Enforcers could go: "YO, THERE'S A CRIMINAL" and start a mission where their objective was to turn in your cash first, and yours was to do the same, meaning much back and forth gibbing as both sides tried to turn in the money. A smart criminal with a lot of patience would always stay under the limit, but some of them worked away for half an hour or more to assemble several thousands which you could steal in two minutes and collect for yourself.

It wasn't huge money to YOU, by any means, but making them wail that they weren't allowed to do the equivalent of grinding mobs for cash in a PVP game was hilarious.

Again, another game with a hugely crazy fanbase. I cannot count the number of weird offers I or my friends have gotten just due to female characters. One dude went around begging an entire clan to have their female characters wear tight leather pants so he could scope out their cameltoes(though I doubt there was a lovingly modeled one, I never really wanted to check) and later turned out to have a a couple dozen videos on YouTube entirely of female APB:R characters getting killed and with him then ogling up their skirts, like some sort of creepy snuff-voyeur(for some reason they were all called "bending" videos). There were also huge in-game billboards you could pay in-game cash to put up advertisements on, including "art" made with the in-game assets. This, of course, meant you had to look at incompetently crafted anime porn any time you looked higher than ground level in the "social" zones(which were the only places you could do certain customizing of your character's outfit, or at least setting up your outfit templates, so you couldn't really avoid them if you wanted to mess with your look any).

Other small ways of griefing, but really only applicable to your own team: When you were animated doing stuff like climbing ladders or vaulting over fences, you could sometimes be interrupted by other players, even on your own team and faction, touching you, resetting it. So you could harass someone by keeping them from going somewhere just by poking them. Until they fixed it, climbing and vaulting also trumped any other interactions you could do in a location... like picking up an objective. So you could get yourself killed while vaulting or climbing, and your objective, which often had crappy or no physics, would just hover there, at the midpoint, where no one could collect it without some serious acrobatics and occasionally using cars as platforms. But with most objectives lasting only some five or ten minutes, and with enemies running around trying to stop you... you could often not really recover it in time to actually advance.

EDIT:

Related, the best "themed" team I ever came across in the game.

PurpleXVI fucked around with this message at 02:30 on Jul 7, 2014

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Thread is excellent again, thank you all

Magres
Jul 14, 2011

Coolguye posted:

Truthfully, the only 'lore' I've read from the Battletech universe is a few of Michael Stackpole's books back when I was in high school and I had a manboner for him, so I don't know. What I can tell you is that, yes, there were a lot of super serious immersion players in MWO who got very, very angry at people squawking, and even more angry when the squawk was returned from the other team, and half of both teams decided to play Pubbiemon instead of fighting. Or, god forbid, the squawk started on the opposing team, and was then echoed in joyous cacophony from the rest of the opposing team, because those goddamn goons use mumble and it's just not fair. Also it typically meant there was like a minute solid of just people squawking at eachother.

I still love that we got trolling people into hitting Alt+F4 to be a thing that was bannable. Convincing pubbies that the hotkey for third person camera (which didn't exist at the time) was Alt+F4 never got old.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Magres posted:

I still love that we got trolling people into hitting Alt+F4 to be a thing that was bannable. Convincing pubbies that the hotkey for third person camera (which didn't exist at the time) was Alt+F4 never got old.

People used to do this in the original Starcraft, especially for people who were lagging. It was always a good feeling when someone fell for it and booted themselves straight out the game :getin:

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE

PurpleXVI posted:

Related, the best "themed" team I ever came across in the game.

John Cena wears jorts, not jeans. 0/10, immersion broken.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

PurpleXVI posted:

Back when I played MechWarrior Online, a guaranteed way of pissing people off was to actually win the game by capturing points on the capture points maps, rather than both sides getting an equal number of points and then slugging it out like a deathmatch.

For a little more info, the most popular map mode had 5 points that were capturable, and one team or the other would win after accumulating enough points or if the other team completely died. Most people played this game like it was team deathmatch and would just use the points in order to prevent the other team from winning via points. Occasionally you'd get light mech pilots who would legitimately out-compete the other team on capturing points, causing their team to win prematurely, leading to an endless stream of "gently caress YOU FAGS" from the losing side. Sometimes it'd even piss people off from your team, "NO STOP CAPTURING THE POINTS YOU'RE GOING TO MAKE US WIN IN THE WRONG WAY"

That said, this did actually make some sense; you got pilot experience and cash (for buying mechs and upgrades) from things like kills, assists, and blowing off parts of other mechs. Winning a match didn't give you that much on its own, so players would want to prolong a match as long as possible in order to collect as many kills and whatnot as they could.

There was another map mode that was designed to be exactly like Team Deathmatch, so it's not like there was any reason to not just play this mode if that's what you wanted to do. Each time had a "base", which took a long time for a lone mech to capture. Trying to send a lone light mech to the enemy base could secure a win, or it might just end up drawing off a few of their bigger guys to come back and defend, which is still good for your team. One super fun grief was to get a team of 2-4 light mechs together on one of these maps and sneak around to capture the enemy base from behind. Four light mechs could capture a base extremely quickly, and the only mechs who could make it back to their base in time would be other light mechs that would just get blasted off the field in a 4v1 brawl.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Dang, that my_g0t guy got griffed. I love this thread.

g0t_hats
Jan 17, 2014

Cojawfee posted:

Dang, that my_g0t guy got griffed. I love this thread.

what? myg0t

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bfFDuOhCQEo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Maybe this post will get me on your ignore list!

zen death robot posted:

"hey guys, that bit about me being a loving moron and more importantly a wierd guy who threatens moms with sexual assault against their kids? lets move on from that and get back to het epic lulz, k?"

But it was griefing bro. You just don't understand griefing.

• Locked thread