Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Beef Jerky Robot
Sep 20, 2009

"And the DICK?"

Bad job.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

Sithsaber posted:

This my friends is a dumb idea. I set out to follow through on one of my joke what ifs, and the rambling wtf I have laid before you is the result. From the get go I couldn't decide if this idea was best served in the literally or visual medium, which is why I couldn't decide whether I should write setting things with camera angles or if I should turn everything into prose. The concept was to utilize various Harmontown tidbits and gags like hate for voiceover, Jeff being psychic and Levi to tell a story that always ended as anticlimacticly as possible. I also wanted to use the podcast audience surrogate as a means of making fun of Dan's liberal 70s antiracism but calling the protagonist "Blackman" was too on the nose. I settled for Czarney which, according to Google, is Polish for black. Edit: You know what? No. In a way this satire is supposed to be bad gently caress it, Blackman's his last name. I'll send you my minority ID if they're complaints. I honestly got bored of this, but I needed to finish something I started for once. I hope Goldberg doesn't find this creepy; my plan for the aborted sequel was for him to get ditched as soon as he outlived his usefulness. Now I'm off to read a book to learn how not to suck.
Let's back up a minute, who are you and why should I read that?

Beef Jerky Robot
Sep 20, 2009

"And the DICK?"

Don't engage.

Sithsaber
Apr 8, 2014

by Ion Helmet

KoRMaK posted:

Let's back up a minute, who are you and why should I read that?

I made a bioshock joke when I heard the episode talking about the moon utopia and than i just ran with the concept.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.

Sithsaber posted:

I made a bioshock joke when I heard the episode talking about the moon utopia and than i just ran with the concept.

Run farther.

joedevola
Sep 11, 2004

worst song, played on ugliest guitar
You know you're having a bad day when Goldberg is scoring points off you.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax
I want to take a shower but I know deep down I'll never be clean again.

Sithsaber
Apr 8, 2014

by Ion Helmet

Golden Bee posted:

Run farther.

See this is why nobody lets you on their ship (with plenty of room mind you) when the moon gets set to explode.

Preview:
Pandemonium: Loser nerds run for their lives as hipsters unaccustomed to combat are beaten mercilessly by artisans who have come to enjoy the finer things in life. Watching it all is Jeff Davis, a man plagued by dreams foretelling all the little horrors that will soon come to pass. Can Dan and the gang (but not Adam; Adam can't come) escape the moon colony and reach Jeff before governmental onlookers and Jeff's years of subconscious helplessness halt one tragedy by causing another?

Sithsaber fucked around with this message at 22:03 on Jul 3, 2014

Brekelefuw
Dec 16, 2003
I Like Trumpets

Sithsaber posted:

See this is why nobody lets you on their ship (with plenty of room mind you) when the moon gets set to explode.

Preview:
Pandemonium: Loser nerds run for their lives as hipsters unaccustomed to combat are beaten mercilessly by artisans who have come to enjoy the finer things in life. Watching it all is Jeff Davis, a man plagued by dreams foretelling all the little horrors that will soon come to pass. Can Dan and the gang (but not Adam -nobody wants Adam to come-) escape the moon colony and reach Jeff before governmental onlookers and Jeff's years of subconscious helplessness halt one tragedy by causing another?

Adam is right.
You're THAT guy.

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

Thanks for the abstract, I'm going to pass.

Sithsaber
Apr 8, 2014

by Ion Helmet

KoRMaK posted:

Thanks for the abstract, I'm going to pass.

Nice. The plan was always going to be that Jeff forsaw invasion and the destruction of Harmontown and Dan made him realize that what he had just done was the cause of that worst case scenario. Seeing that there was no hope for peace (and assuming by the visions that the evil Earth government would destroy or enslave their community) Dan and Jeff detach parts of the dome before cracking the moon and dooming terran civilization. Czarney is dragged off while the power mad duo crack jokes to break the tension.

All I had for book three is a power mad Nanjiani and genetically modified Harmonsoldiers coming out of stasis, arming themselves with pressure powered machine guns(paintball fetish), and filling off to conquer post apocalyptic Nashville.

Hah

Harmonshock 3: In space no-one can hear you drink

Sithsaber fucked around with this message at 22:02 on Jul 3, 2014

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

You do know that creating fan fiction of real people is offputting and literally nobody likes it, right? I don't know if we've said it explicitly, but stop.

If you must, go to CC or Tumblr or Fanfiction.net, but jesus christ, this is embarrassing for all involved.

Sithsaber
Apr 8, 2014

by Ion Helmet

Golden Bee posted:

You do know that creating fan fiction of real people is offputting and literally nobody likes it, right? I don't know if we've said it explicitly, but stop.

If you must, go to CC or Tumblr or Fanfiction.net, but jesus christ, this is embarrassing for all involved.

It was a test of my ability to finish something no matter how awful the end result begins to be. Thank God this is all over.

Ps. Although if you think about it Harmontown is all about celebrating mediocrity so this terrible, terrible exercise shouldn't be that jarring.No worries though, it's all done.

TontoCorazon
Aug 18, 2007

Sure a test

Sithsaber
Apr 8, 2014

by Ion Helmet

That was my disclaimer even before I got all the well deserved hate. Today my goal is to cut content that my ego has grown attached to in my earlier works.

Adeline Weishaupt
Oct 16, 2013

by Lowtax
Dude, here's a good piece of advice for when you post.

Take a look and ask yourself, "would anybody actually want to read this?"

Consider your answer and the rest will be clear.

Sithsaber
Apr 8, 2014

by Ion Helmet

umalt posted:

Dude, here's a good piece of advice for when you post.

Take a look and ask yourself, "would anybody actually want to read this?"

Consider your answer and the rest will be clear.

This. Was. A. Writing. Exercise. Full Stop.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
making GBS threads your pants isn't a bowel exercise.

Sithsaber
Apr 8, 2014

by Ion Helmet

Tatum Girlparts posted:

making GBS threads your pants isn't a bowel exercise.

It is if it's in preparation for chronic diarrhea.

Adeline Weishaupt
Oct 16, 2013

by Lowtax

Sithsaber posted:

This. Was. A. Writing. Exercise. Full Stop.

If you put something on a pedestal it's going to be scrutinized no matter what excuse you have for it.

Sithsaber
Apr 8, 2014

by Ion Helmet

umalt posted:

If you put something on a pedestal it's going to be scrutinized no matter what excuse you have for it.

That's fine. Telling me I shouldn't have posted it just disregards the reasons for said posting.

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

Sithsaber posted:

That's fine. Telling me I shouldn't have posted it just disregards the reasons for said posting.
I... I don't get how this is applicable. It's like you are in a public place yelling your rants.

You posted it because it was so weird? Either way, it was bordering on too weird and you should lay off. Harmon and harmontown is right on that line of being a bad internet poster but with enough self awareness to pull it back right before it's weird.

Bazanga!

Sithsaber
Apr 8, 2014

by Ion Helmet

KoRMaK posted:

I... I don't get how this is applicable. It's like you are in a public place yelling your rants.

You posted it because it was so weird? Either way, it was bordering on too weird and you should lay off. Harmon and harmontown is right on that line of being a bad internet poster but with enough self awareness to pull it back right before it's weird.

Bazanga!

As I've said before, I posted this because I usually can't bring myself to finish what I write. (Which is almost always better than this) Besides, the podcast devoted a episode to a guy who tied himself up to watch his own version of the show so this obviously isn't the weirdest thing that has coopted the Harmon-franchise.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

It's sad when the argument for something is "It's not the worst".

Sithsaber
Apr 8, 2014

by Ion Helmet

Golden Bee posted:

It's sad when the argument for something is "It's not the worst".

I don't have to justify anything; even I dislike the end result. The victory here is that I got to the end.

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

Sithsaber posted:

I don't have to justify anything; even I dislike the end result. The victory here is that I got to the end.
Nah, knowing when to quit early is a good life lesson. Going to the end even when it sucks is what makes terrible marriages.

TontoCorazon
Aug 18, 2007

The end of what though?

Sithsaber
Apr 8, 2014

by Ion Helmet

KoRMaK posted:

Nah, knowing when to quit early is a good life lesson. Going to the end even when it sucks is what makes terrible marriages.

Divorce rates shouldn't be at 50%. I at least let Harmonshock move out of my head before I divorced his mother, Fanfiction.

Sithsaber fucked around with this message at 07:10 on Jul 4, 2014

Adeline Weishaupt
Oct 16, 2013

by Lowtax
The difference between getting to the end, and knowing when to quit is basically knowing the real answer to "is what I am doing really worth it?"

Getting to the end means answering "yes, I know this has value/purpose and I am willing to put forward the effort to doing so."

Quitting means, "no, I don't really know why this is/should be and it's not really giving any benefit whatsoever."

In one sense, there was benefit to completing your fanfiction as it proved to yourself "I can do this". Posting it in the Harmontown thread couldn't have any benefit other than, "look what I did, aren't you proud?"; and if you think that a forum, a short form media based around interaction, is a good venue to share your fanfiction in then you are a pretty naive person.

Sithsaber
Apr 8, 2014

by Ion Helmet

umalt posted:

The difference between getting to the end, and knowing when to quit is basically knowing the real answer to "is what I am doing really worth it?"

Getting to the end means answering "yes, I know this has value/purpose and I am willing to put forward the effort to doing so."

Quitting means, "no, I don't really know why this is/should be and it's not really giving any benefit whatsoever."

In one sense, there was benefit to completing your fanfiction as it proved to yourself "I can do this". Posting it in the Harmontown thread couldn't have any benefit other than, "look what I did, aren't you proud?"; and if you think that a forum, a short form media based around interaction, is a good venue to share your fanfiction in then you are a pretty naive person.

You know I didn't think that through. My thinking was that if I could put effort into something of no value, I could put effort into my magnum opus.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Holy poo poo this thread got autistic fast.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax
Let's all jump on the guy who made a funny post on a comedy forum!

Sithsaber
Apr 8, 2014

by Ion Helmet

Irish Joe posted:

Let's all jump on the guy who made a funny post on a comedy forum!

What are you doing? You're supposed to crush my self esteem!

JesusFists
Feb 14, 2005

ong-time listener, first-time caller.

Guys, stop making fun of him, it's not his fault that he writes bad fan fiction, probably smells funny, and drops his pants when he stands at a urinal! Leave the weird, pants-making GBS threads schmuck alone!

Got your back, bro.

Sithsaber
Apr 8, 2014

by Ion Helmet

JesusFists posted:

Guys, stop making fun of him, it's not his fault that he writes bad fan fiction, probably smells funny, and drops his pants when he stands at a urinal! Leave the weird, pants-making GBS threads schmuck alone!

Got your back, bro.

Thanks, i'll crap my drawers in your honor.

JesusFists
Feb 14, 2005

ong-time listener, first-time caller.

According to Dan's twitter, tonight's Harmontown will feature the return of Greg Proops! He's one of my favorite guests in small doses, but I'm thankful that Tylenol with Codeine doesn't make more frequent appearances in D&D, as his constant talking over everyone makes it rather difficult for them to actually progress in the game.

From what Dan said last week (or it might have been from his interview on Conversations with Matt Dwyer), the Harmontown doc should finally be getting a limited theater release in a couple months or so. Really hoping my local indie theater will have it - would be the next best thing to making one of the Harmoncountry shows, which sadly went through my area right before I became aware of the podcast.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

I care more that he talks about the Yahoo deal, because that sounds like it has a fascinating backstory

utonium
Dec 17, 2002

JesusFists posted:

Got your back, bro.
Game recognize game.

Sithsaber
Apr 8, 2014

by Ion Helmet

JesusFists posted:

According to Dan's twitter, tonight's Harmontown will feature the return of Greg Proops! He's one of my favorite guests in small doses, but I'm thankful that Tylenol with Codeine doesn't make more frequent appearances in D&D, as his constant talking over everyone makes it rather difficult for them to actually progress in the game.

When was the last time they actually progressed more than 5 minutes in game?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

JesusFists posted:

He seemed a bit bummed when the crystals turned into monsters. "What happened to my magic powers?"