Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
exmachina
Mar 12, 2006

Look Closer

Unimpressed posted:

Allow ball tampering!

Some degree of ball tampering could be acceptable I guess, have to have a long discussion about it tho.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Unimpressed
Feb 13, 2013

exmachina posted:

Some degree of ball tampering could be acceptable I guess, have to have a long discussion about it tho.

I was only half being facetious. I agree, the current ball tampering situation is a bit odd and inconsistent.

gabensraum
Sep 16, 2003

LOAD "NICE!",8,1
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WrvfMPrCcf0

Drugs
Jul 16, 2010

I don't like people who take drugs. Customs agents, for example - Albert Einstein

The second one would have killed me

Cloud the Cat
Apr 21, 2010

Thanks for reminding me why I don't play cricket!

Boonys Cut Shot
Nov 5, 2004

Elite athlete
That's incredible. I didn't even see the second one until he was hitting it for six.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
Not going to lie. I'd have worn both of those without even seeing them.

Boonys Cut Shot
Nov 5, 2004

Elite athlete

serious gaylord posted:

Not going to lie. I'd have worn both of those without even seeing them.

I'm a bit shorter than Gilly, so I'd have seen the second one, but only as it cannoned in to my eye socket

a real chump
Jul 30, 2003

noice
Nap Ghost
The frame rate kinda makes it worse but yeah, I would be dead or broken from those probably.

Gilly owns.

Coucho Marx
Mar 2, 2009

kick back and relax
Always wanted to know what it would be like to face up against a proper, short-pitching fast bowler. Makes me just a little more sympathetic towards England having to deal with Johnson. Just a little.

Smorgasbord
Jun 18, 2004

Our review identified changes needed to be made and, in Stephen, we have a coach who has a reputation for demanding the highest standards.
http://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/cricket/10240414/Six-of-the-best-cricket-catches-in-the-deep

Some pretty dope catches in here, the Pasupati one in particular. I like how they included Rigor catching Warne on 99 too :laugh:

Unimpressed
Feb 13, 2013

I'm so excited, 5 tests over 6 weeks between the shittiest best two teams in the world! The amount of money the ECB is going to make just makes me hard.

IceAgeComing
Jan 29, 2013

pretty fucking embarrassing to watch

remember that that's against Shaun Tait; who I imagine wasn't quite as quick as the likes of Mitchell Johnson...

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

IceAgeComing posted:

remember that that's against Shaun Tait; who I imagine wasn't quite as quick as the likes of Mitchell Johnson...
I think he was as quick if not a bit quicker, but he was pretty fragile, and sadly suffered from depression

put both hands in
Nov 28, 2007

:swoon:FYFE:swoon:

IceAgeComing posted:

Tait at his peak could bowl it over 160, but he lacked control.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gKWM84pADPE

Unimpressed
Feb 13, 2013

You Am I posted:

I think he was as quick if not a bit quicker, but he was pretty fragile, and sadly suffered from depression

Yeah Tait was quicker as far as I remember, but I reckon MJ would have been faster against England in a test than Tait in a charity game. Unless he hated Gilly of course, but how can you hate Gilly?

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

:swoon: MURALI :swoon:

Tait's been down around 140 since his elbow injury.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS

Unimpressed posted:

Yeah Tait was quicker as far as I remember, but I reckon MJ would have been faster against England in a test than Tait in a charity game. Unless he hated Gilly of course, but how can you hate Gilly?

I don't think Johnson's thing was being super fast (not that 150km/h is pedestrian) but that his arm comes out from behind him so the batsman has a hard time picking up the ball.

RideTheSpiral
Sep 18, 2005
College Slice

gay picnic defence posted:

I don't think Johnson's thing was being super fast (not that 150km/h is pedestrian) but that his arm comes out from behind him so the batsman has a hard time picking up the ball.

You serious bro? He's been consistently at 95mph for a year with the red ball.

Lionel Richie
Nov 14, 2004

Johnson is obviously quick but it's impossible to be consistently 95mph, not that you should ever believe what sexed up speed guns tell you.

a real chump
Jul 30, 2003

noice
Nap Ghost
The English speed guns are the worst dunno if its config or what but they suck.

RideTheSpiral
Sep 18, 2005
College Slice

Lionel Richie posted:

Johnson is obviously quick but it's impossible to be consistently 95mph, not that you should ever believe what sexed up speed guns tell you.

I don't mean every ball. I mean in different countries, different spells, and different grounds.

EMC
Aug 17, 2004

Is Cook the worst captain ever and literally Pol Pot yet?

Lionel Richie
Nov 14, 2004

-Spiffy- posted:

The English speed guns are the worst dunno if its config or what but they suck.

They do it on purpose to make it more "exciting". I remember when Ryan Harris first played, and they must've thought he'd be a military medium pacer, so obviously they cranked it up by about 10mph. His first ball of the day, a loosener, showed up as 96mph.

There was another time when Brett Lee was bowling in a warm up game and his entire spell never went below 90mph. Either it was the quickest sustained spell of fast bowling I've ever seen, in a warm up game against a county side no less, or they just made the fucker up.

Centusin
Aug 5, 2009

EMC posted:

No, that's Dhoni

IceAgeComing
Jan 29, 2013

this is a five test series between the two worst captains; two teams whitewashed in Australia, one having not won an away test in three years and an away series in five; with the other having lost to the Netherlands earlier this year.

this is literally a battle to be the least-worst team

IceAgeComing fucked around with this message at 12:47 on Jul 9, 2014

Unimpressed
Feb 13, 2013

EMC posted:

No, just wait six weeks though.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
I cant get enough of these awful lengths being bowled boys. Give me more.

Centusin
Aug 5, 2009

IceAgeComing posted:

this is a five test series between the two worst captains; two teams whitewashed in Australia, one having not won an away test in three series and an away series in five; with the other having lost to the Netherlands earlier this year.

this is literally a battle to be the least-worst team

the worst teams playing on the flattest, shittiest pitch. it's going to be a wonderful match.

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP

Unimpressed posted:

The amount of money the ECB is going to make just makes me hard.

As opposed to Hampshire CC/The Rosebowl. Starting a test on a sunday? Good luck making any money on that.

IceAgeComing
Jan 29, 2013

Scylo posted:

the worst teams playing on the flattest, shittiest pitch. it's going to be a wonderful match.

This is going to be a series full of awful draws, isn't it?

Like the Sri Lanka series was a series full of very exciting, good draws but this is going to be one of those games were no one bothers on day 5 because there isn't going to be a result

IceAgeComing fucked around with this message at 12:55 on Jul 9, 2014

EMC
Aug 17, 2004

The most exciting thing in that session was a team actually getting through 30 overs

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

:swoon: MURALI :swoon:

Sadly I don't think even this English side is bad enough to lose to this Indian side at home.

IceAgeComing
Jan 29, 2013

people said that about sri lanka

Smorgasbord
Jun 18, 2004

Our review identified changes needed to be made and, in Stephen, we have a coach who has a reputation for demanding the highest standards.
2 poo poo teams.

IceAgeComing
Jan 29, 2013

Shock as Cook does some good captaincy

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP
No DRS in this series? gently caress off India, I hope you get a billion bad decisions against you. That kind of decision should be solely in the hands of the host nation.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
They probably threatened to make the next tour ODI only.

IceAgeComing
Jan 29, 2013

I'm listening to Dravid on TMS and he's actually an interesting guy to listen too.

Best Indian batsman tbh

e: hahaha agnew asks whether Dravid'll be joining the primary club

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP
TMS have been waxing lyrical all afternoon about Laxman, but I remember him as being decidedly average. His 1st class figures look good, but I assume there is a huge element of sub-continent inflation involved. Am I misremembering and was he decent?

• Locked thread