Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I have never watched Sailor Moon and now that Viz is releasing a dub with a lot of voice actors I like (Especially Amanda Celine Miller, Stephanie Sheh, Cristina Vee, and Cindy Robinson all as central characters) I can finally give it a shot. I remember it being on TV when I was a little babby, but this was girl poo poo and DBZ was on instead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RMZXAnarchy
Sep 9, 2011

*Insert Sailor Jupiter joke here*

Beef Waifu posted:

I have never watched Sailor Moon and now that Viz is releasing a dub with a lot of voice actors I like (Especially Amanda Celine Miller, Stephanie Sheh, Cristina Vee, and Cindy Robinson all as central characters) I can finally give it a shot. I remember it being on TV when I was a little babby, but this was girl poo poo and DBZ was on instead.

DBZ was on after Sailor Moon I thought? I barely remember the old dub outside of scattered episodes of season one and SuperS and the first few minutes of the R movie and most of the S movie.

But yeah, I was a guy and it was uncool to watch Sailor moon, besides my parents made fun of me for watching it too.

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

I said come in! posted:

The characters have really huge dead eyes and its freaking me the gently caress out whenever they talk. :(

Holy crap this, I thought I was the only one that thought this and was being a mean person (may still be a mean person but I digress)

Dove from Above
Apr 16, 2007

Snowy! Have you thought about psittacosis?

RMZXAnarchy posted:

I find it hilarious how many people are complaining about the lack of Susan Roman. I mean, she was the only inner senshi to keep the same voice throughout but do you really want Jupiter to sound like a raspy old woman? Same deal with Terri Hawkes, I'm looking forward to seeing how Stephanie Sheh will do the role.

Kate Higgins as Mercury was a great choice too.

I don't know, chain-smoking Gramma Jupiter might be fun. But I like the fact that the woman chosen to voice Makoto for the new dub has a voice quite similar to Susan Roman's, because hey, I think we all remember her fondly. She played the part with emotional sincerity and a delightful comic touch.
The tumblog sailorfailures put up a video with a supercut of examples of the new actresses' voice work (oh yeah and the actors' too), and I was particularly delighted to hear a couple of lines that sounded like they could be said by the characters themselves; a 'Double crap!' for Makoto and a 'Yay! There's debauchery here, isn't there?' for Minako.

AnacondaHL posted:

Holy crap this, I thought I was the only one that thought this and was being a mean person (may still be a mean person but I digress)

Oh, you are far from the only one. The war currently rages between 'THEY HAVE DEAD DOLL EYES AND IT'S PUTTING ME OFF AND IT'S NOT AS GOOD AS THE ANIMATION ON THE 90s SERIES,' 'SHUT THE gently caress UP YOU ABSOLUTE IDIOT HOW DARE YOU CRITICISE THE NEW SAILOR MOON,' and a beleaguered middle camp of 'poo poo GUYS CAN'T WE DISCUSS THE PROS AND CONS WITHOUT AD HOMINEM ATTACKS?'

But yeah, the eyes are a big problem for me, especially on Usagi. She's the heart of the show and she's supposed to be an ebullient, lively, often goofy character. The animation shouldn't be so preoccupied with making her look pretty and elegant and graceful (LOOK HOW FRICKIN' MANICURED HER HANDS ARE) when the essence of her appeal is that she's an ordinary girl who's clumsy and kind of a crybaby who is also capable of being a hero and a princess. The transformative, wish-fulfillment aspect of the magical girl genre doesn't work so well if she just goes from beautiful to beautiful.

I may have beefed about this before; I may beef about it again.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

I remember watching Sailor Moon waaay back in the day, but I have no idea what channel it was on. It wasn't Cartoon Network, this was a few years before that. I remember it came on in the early mornings (before? after?) a Littlest Pet Shop cartoon, and they only showed Sailor Moon and Sailor Moon R, so they looped over from the beginning of the series quite a few times.

Part of me wants to say it was on NBC, but that can't be right, can it?

RMZXAnarchy posted:

But yeah, I was a guy and it was uncool to watch Sailor moon, besides my parents made fun of me for watching it too.
Screw that. Me and all my buddies loved Sailor Moon, and I watched it in front of my parents and grandparents all the time. :colbert:

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!

Dexie posted:

I remember watching Sailor Moon waaay back in the day, but I have no idea what channel it was on. It wasn't Cartoon Network, this was a few years before that. I remember it came on in the early mornings (before? after?) a Littlest Pet Shop cartoon, and they only showed Sailor Moon and Sailor Moon R, so they looped over from the beginning of the series quite a few times.

Part of me wants to say it was on NBC, but that can't be right, can it?

Probably depends on what your local network station was. For me, those early episodes of Sailor Moon and Dragonball aired on UPN 13 at 7 in the mornings, meaning I never got to see the end of Dragonball episodes since I had to go to school. Saw a lot of shows from that network, Samurai Pizza Cats, Pokemon, whole bunch of other random anime and 90s shows that I don't recall.

Allarion fucked around with this message at 03:45 on Jul 7, 2014

Robviously
Aug 21, 2010

Genius. Billionaire. Playboy. Philanthropist.

Sailor Moon was syndicated back in the day; part of the reason that the Sailor Says segments were added was to be able to call it "educational programming." I remember that in my area two different channels actually had it. One before school and one after. It could have been on any local channel, Fox, NBC, etc, since each local channel has a chunk or time they get to use during the day. Most run talk or game shows since they're almost all syndicated by design. (In my hometown Jeopardy and Wheel of Fortune are on ABC; where I'm currently living it's NBC.) Cartoons used to fill that before/after school niche.

^^^ E;fb

PaganGoatPants
Jan 18, 2012

TODAY WAS THE SPECIAL SALE DAY!
Grimey Drawer
Sailor Moon was on UPN with DBZ and was on right before it so I watched both.

RMZXAnarchy
Sep 9, 2011

You guys have so much more history with the series than I do.

I only started watching it when it was on Cartoon Network. :(

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

sorry makoto was someone else's waifu before she was yours, mate

aers
Feb 15, 2012

I saw one episode on TV while living in the Philippines (the season 1 episode with Tuxedo Umino) and then a ton more on UPN when I moved to America. It wasn't really until Cartoon Network picked it up that the show became big in the US; it was always more popular in places like Latin America and Europe.

RMZXAnarchy
Sep 9, 2011

a cartoon duck posted:

sorry makoto was someone else's waifu before she was yours, mate

Oh I knew that already. That doesn't really bug me.

Like I said, I didn't even really watch the show when I was a kid, just bits and pieces. Back in the day I think I liked Moon best anyway because I was dumb and assumed the best character was the title character.

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

aers posted:

I saw one episode on TV while living in the Philippines (the season 1 episode with Tuxedo Umino) and then a ton more on UPN when I moved to America. It wasn't really until Cartoon Network picked it up that the show became big in the US; it was always more popular in places like Latin America and Europe.

Sailor Moon was always #1 in my heart :blush:

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

Valsu posted:

Yea. The first episode of the original used the same plot. It's almost a one to one copy of it. There are a few things different, but for the most part its the same. Here's a link to wikipedia's list of SM episodes for comparison. Obviously, there are spoilers if you haven't seen the original series.

I liked watching the new episode, but because it was an almost one to one copy it kept giving me this weird feeling of deja-vu. I haven't seen the original since the first time it re-aired on Cartoon Network (I originally watched it in syndication on a local station), but I still remembered just enough of it to know what was coming up.

Dove from Above
Apr 16, 2007

Nemo2342 posted:

I liked watching the new episode, but because it was an almost one to one copy it kept giving me this weird feeling of deja-vu. I haven't seen the original since the first time it re-aired on Cartoon Network (I originally watched it in syndication on a local station), but I still remembered just enough of it to know what was coming up.

Because I remembered so much of it, it felt super short. I hope I won't feel that way about all the episodes... and I really hope they're not going to do as speculated and go one manga chapter to one anime episode, bang-bang-bang, with no original material. Who wants to watch a straight rehash? An adaptation that sticks closer to the manga version is fine, but it will be dull if all it does is show us the manga coloured and moving.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

I grew up watching the dub on YTV. It was like a double dose of Moon because Chibiusa's voice actress was also one of the hosts for The Zone for like a million years.

aers
Feb 15, 2012

Upon further examination of the BD extras I'm revising my opinion to "I guess they might be doing Dark Kingdom + Black Moon in 26 episodes but that's stupid as hell because the manga's biggest weakness is lack of characterization and there won't be any in the anime at that pacing".

FortMax
Mar 22, 2013

The Bunny Hat
Episode 18. What the gently caress is up with this doll's face?

I mean, look at it.

hallo spacedog
Apr 3, 2007

this chaos is killing me
💫🐕🔪😱😱

Still looks better than half the bootleg Sailor Moon merchandise I used to buy in Chinatown in the mid 90s though.

Vintimus Prime
Apr 24, 2008

DERRRRRPPP what are picture threads for????

FortMax posted:

Episode 18. What the gently caress is up with this doll's face?

I mean, look at it.

Sailor Vegeta right there

A Pinball Wizard
Mar 23, 2005

I know every trick, no freak's gonna beat my hands

College Slice
A compelling argument I had not considered before:

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012
As someone mostly unfamiliar with the franchise, the lack of toast actually surprised me; it would have been such an obvious cliche to include there. It's interesting to see that the first anime did indeed have toast.

Revolver Bunker
May 12, 2004

「この一撃にかけるっ!」

Silver2195 posted:

As someone mostly unfamiliar with the franchise, the lack of toast actually surprised me; it would have been such an obvious cliche to include there. It's interesting to see that the first anime did indeed have toast.

I think they're being more attentive to detail this time around. Like the book bag being present in the new series but missing in the 90s one. I think Usagi would be in a lot more trouble then just being late if she left all her books at home too. Also with the change in time in the new version. Doing spoilers since this is a new series. After Usagi gets her test back and she goes with Naru to the jewelry shop and then the arcade she gets home and its actually getting dark. Which makes sense given that school would get out in the afternoon and spending time at the jewelry shop and then bumming around the arcade would eat up a good few hours easy. Thus leading up to her meeting Luna in her room at night. In the 90s version its still full daylight when she gets home.

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Plaguing your posts with incidental music.
She's prettier, but I think I actually buy her as clumsier in this than the original. Most of the original anime's clumsiness is played as really comedic. In Crystal, when Usagi takes a fall, it looks like it hurts.

I also think she felt a lot less confident in the lead-up to the transformation sequence. I was looking at the new and the old and in the original she's kind of taking on this 'gently caress yeah let's do this' stance, and in Crystal she's a lot more visibly weirded out, I think.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Toast has become an otaku cliche and the spirit of the show is to avoid stuff like that so it's out.

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
As a man with strong opinions about toast, I'm very disappointed that

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

Yes_Cantaloupe posted:

As a man with strong opinions about toast, I'm very disappointed that

Toast is the cornerstone of the art form and I'm appalled that smc has done without it

aers
Feb 15, 2012

the screencap from the old anime isnt even episode 1

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

No toast in the manga either. :colbert:

At least not in the opening pages, I can't remember if it happens at all or not, i want to say that it does though. Funnily enough, I was pretty sure I remembered the whole running with toast thing as happening right away and was moderately surprised to not see it when I started the manga.

edit: huh that image I pulled off the net has opposite take on the crybaby line than the Kodansha version, in the copy I'm looking at she says "I admit it myself...I'm a bit of a crybaby"

a kitten fucked around with this message at 06:44 on Jul 8, 2014

Obligatory Toast
Mar 19, 2007

What am I reading here??
I take the exclusion of toast from this anime very seriously.

Well no, not really; actually it makes the scene following it where she's getting into her lunch make sense.

Dove from Above
Apr 16, 2007

a kitten posted:

No toast in the manga either. :colbert:

At least not in the opening pages, I can't remember if it happens at all or not, i want to say that it does though. Funnily enough, I was pretty sure I remembered the whole running with toast thing as happening right away and was moderately surprised to not see it when I started the manga.

edit: huh that image I pulled off the net has opposite take on the crybaby line than the Kodansha version, in the copy I'm looking at she says "I admit it myself...I'm a bit of a crybaby"

Whenever you translate from Japanese to English there's a certain amount of rephrasing involved, because their grammar is so different from ours. Both versions focus on Usagi admitting that she's a crybaby, but one chose to phrase it more reluctantly than the other.
FWIW a lot of fans think the official Kodansha translation is pretty poor, and some scanlations read better.

Obligatory Toast posted:

I take the exclusion of toast from this anime very seriously.

Well no, not really; actually it makes the scene following it where she's getting into her lunch make sense.

Yeah, the lack of toast or any other breakfast makes the attack on her lunchbox understandable - but jeez, in Crystal that was an awfully small lunchbox for a girl of Usagi's appetite. It looked like barely a snack.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

ConanThe3rd posted:

So I was just futzing around and on top of Stand Proud working well, it turns out IGNITE (SAO II's Opening) if timed with when Moon Pride Starts in episode is pretty much on Sync.

Videos to follow!
Yep, it takes a little fanegling but It fits for the most part

ConanThe3rd fucked around with this message at 07:48 on Jul 8, 2014

SgtSteel91
Oct 21, 2010

Anyone else think Usagi isn't as emotive in the new show as she is in the old show?

SgtSteel91 fucked around with this message at 08:41 on Jul 8, 2014

RMZXAnarchy
Sep 9, 2011

SgtSteel91 posted:

Anyone else think Usagi isn't as emotive in the new show as she is in the old show?

I don't think there's been anybody who hasn't thought Usagi wasn't very emotive in the first episode of Crystal.

Silly Voodoo
Mar 31, 2011

There will be no clipping!
I didn't think she was less emotive, but I only saw the anime as a little kid so I don't remember much of it. I'm mainly reading the manga anyway, so I'm comparing Crystal to that instead of the old anime.

Moatman
Mar 21, 2014

Because the goof is all mine.

Silly Voodoo posted:

I didn't think she was less emotive, but I only saw the anime as a little kid so I don't remember much of it. I'm mainly reading the manga anyway, so I'm comparing Crystal to that instead of the old anime.

She's definitely less emotive

Whether that's a bad thing or not is up to you

Robviously
Aug 21, 2010

Genius. Billionaire. Playboy. Philanthropist.

Moatman posted:

My only problem is basing how emotive she is off of one episode. I like the changes that they made to how she comes off as clumsy and I think we need to give it a bit more time before we can really gauge where they head with it. I don't think she's ever going to be as comically emotive as she was in the first series but I think there's definitely room for dramatic emotive improvement as the series progresses.

mateo360
Mar 20, 2012

TOO MANY PEOPLE MERLOCK!
ONLY ONE DIJON!

Moatman posted:

It's good for keeping 200 episodes entertaining at least.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story

Robviously posted:

My only problem is basing how emotive she is off of one episode. I like the changes that they made to how she comes off as clumsy and I think we need to give it a bit more time before we can really gauge where they head with it. I don't think she's ever going to be as comically emotive as she was in the first series but I think there's definitely room for dramatic emotive improvement as the series progresses.

While it's true it's only one episode it's annoying how when Luna is talking to her she just sits there unmoving, mouth slightly open for a good while. I don't think this means that the new show is terrible or anything, and the rest of the episode isn't quite as bad as that one scene, but the one scene is terribly noticeable and worries me that it might happen again. Of course it could always get better and that's just a one-off thing, but I guess I'm a bit of a pessimist.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Level Slide
Jan 4, 2011

• Locked thread