Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Chaotic Flame
Jun 1, 2009

So...

Bold Robot posted:

Your second oldest daughter is probably giving birth to a son. Daughters with a son are prioritized over daughters without a son.

drat. That's not good.

Edit: Well it fixed itself. I'd quit until I got my answer and starting it back up this time the younger daughter had twin girls. But good to know for the future. Thanks!

Chaotic Flame fucked around with this message at 18:21 on Jul 6, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747
Right, figured i'd try playing a republic, but running into one weird snag after another. First i couldn't marry anyone at all, didn't give me any reason, just a greyed out "Send" button, eventually i found someone. Now i can't educate my own heir. What gives? I'm playing as one of the lower rank patricians in Venice if that matters.

a real rude dude
Jan 23, 2005

Dongattack posted:

Right, figured i'd try playing a republic, but running into one weird snag after another. First i couldn't marry anyone at all, didn't give me any reason, just a greyed out "Send" button, eventually i found someone. Now i can't educate my own heir. What gives? I'm playing as one of the lower rank patricians in Venice if that matters.

I seem to remember it costs a buttload of money to marry if you're a patrician.

Edit: Patricians are considered lower than barons for marriage purposes, and frequently have a hard time getting noble brides without paying a dowry. This bride price increases according to the rank of the lady's relatives. Relatives of kings and emperors are more expensive. Also, ladies of a patrician dynasty cannot marry matrilineally.

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747

david... posted:

Edit: Patricians are considered lower than barons for marriage purposes, and frequently have a hard time getting noble brides without paying a dowry. This bride price increases according to the rank of the lady's relatives. Relatives of kings and emperors are more expensive. Also, ladies of a patrician dynasty cannot marry matrilineally.

I couldn't even marry any of my own lowborn courtiers tho.

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

david... posted:

It's kind of strange, but I notice if you arrange a betrothal (with a girl 15 or under) you don't need to pay the bride price. Not sure exactly how that works.

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Some motherfuckers are always trying to ice-skate uphill
So in the mod Lux Invicta I found out a cool thing you can do:

Kidnap your family members, enslave and castrate them, then give them titles because when they die it'll just revert back to you! :haw:

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747
Haha christ, my republic game ended already because i fabricated a claim on Venice, took it and got a instant game over because i was now the ruler of a republic, what the gently caress.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

Dongattack posted:

Haha christ, my republic game ended already because i fabricated a claim on Venice, took it and got a instant game over because i was now the ruler of a republic, what the gently caress.

Conquering Republics based on Titular titles is buggy as gently caress. Even if you manage to take all their holding, they (and their trade posts) will continue to exist for a while, possibly as an independent state, possibly as unlanded vassals. Conquering them can randomly end your game if you press a claim on the Titular Duchy the Republic is based on.

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747

fool_of_sound posted:

Conquering Republics based on Titular titles is buggy as gently caress. Even if you manage to take all their holding, they (and their trade posts) will continue to exist for a while, possibly as an independent state, possibly as unlanded vassals. Conquering them can randomly end your game if you press a claim on the Titular Duchy the Republic is based on.

Yeah, i didn't understand anything that was going on in that game. Not allowed to marry. Not allowed to educate. Not allowed to take Venice. Could build trade posts tho.

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

DarkCrawler posted:

Also, my dynasty has been a string of total assholes, despite my greatest efforts to have ONE ruler who everyone doesn't hate by educating them with decent people. The crippled guy was decent, though a kinslayer (got the trait removed by bribing the Pope). But jeez, apparently nature beats nurture, the latest one got excommunicated a while back (bribed the Pope to get it away). If the pope didn't love money the Catholic world would have wiped out my dick dynasty a while back - there's been at least one major revolt with each.

The first one was possessed by Satan (what a great way to start a game!), so it might explain something though.

Pretty sure my line is cursed for real. Thanks to few prestigious marriages, the family's genes are responsible of Europe having to deal with not one, not two, but three rulers nicknamed "the Cruel", all cousins.

The King of France is the black sheep of the family though...

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

:stonk:

EDIT: jesus christ

DarkCrawler fucked around with this message at 22:19 on Jul 6, 2014

csm141
Jul 19, 2010

i care, i'm listening, i can help you without giving any advice
Pillbug
Now that I'm a quadruple Emperor, my game has started going super slow. Bumping up the process priority to High made it bearable but God knows for how long. Also Carpathia seems really easy for an Emperor title.

What determines if I suffer unlanded son penalties? Is it if the primary title is Primogeniture or if any Kingdoms are Primo?

jerman999
Apr 26, 2006

This is a lex imperfecta
DarkCrawler, what mods are you running?

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

jerman999 posted:

DarkCrawler, what mods are you running?

Just CK2+

GSD
May 10, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

Chief Savage Man posted:

What determines if I suffer unlanded son penalties? Is it if the primary title is Primogeniture or if any Kingdoms are Primo?

Non-gavelkind titles.

TjyvTompa
Jun 1, 2001

im gay
I got a crusade called against me for Sicily, I won it by besieging 3 of the HREs provinces in Italy. A couple of days after the crusade was done I called my own Jihad for Italy.

The next Jihad was much more hard to win, it lasted only some 16 months but I lost around 100,000 of the 196,000 troops I raised in that short time.

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

lurksion posted:

While the AI won't marry women over 40 and pregnancy from events is also stopped at 40 as well, women aren't actually infertile until 45.

And women older can still have event kids. I had a 60 year old mom from some event that had a 50/50 chance at pregnancy for her.

Clanpot Shake
Aug 10, 2006
shake shake!

How the hell do crusades work? I got 70% of the work done for the crusade for the kingdom of Burgundy and the pope gave it to some random woman and I didn't get any land at all! What a jerk. Fortunately I have a claimant so I'm just going to reconquer it, but it's the principle of the thing.

I'm playing a woman ruler. Maybe that has something to do with it? Sucks that women can't lead troops and only get 25 piety/prestige when your troops conquer crusade target counties. Should have started as a Basque...

FartGhost
Mar 7, 2013

Clanpot Shake posted:

How the hell do crusades work? I got 70% of the work done for the crusade for the kingdom of Burgundy and the pope gave it to some random woman and I didn't get any land at all! What a jerk. Fortunately I have a claimant so I'm just going to reconquer it, but it's the principle of the thing.

I'm playing a woman ruler. Maybe that has something to do with it? Sucks that women can't lead troops and only get 25 piety/prestige when your troops conquer crusade target counties. Should have started as a Basque...

If someone who participated has a claim they get the whole thing no matter their contribution.

Emy
Apr 21, 2009
I control the British Isles, as well as parts of western France. My current problem is that my heir is a dude who was forced out and hosed off to go live in India. He's too far away for me to interact with, which is pretty inconvenient, as I would like to have him killed.

Is there any way to get him within interaction range by strategically taking land, or must I resign myself to hoping he dies before me? I'm not sure I can manage to take the province he's actually in.

a real rude dude
Jan 23, 2005

So I'm having my most successful Muslim game so far with the Saffarids, got myself Persia, Baluchistan and Afghanistan kingdoms and just lucked in to Khiva due to a relative with no children holding it and then winding up dead, got all my duchies neatly within their own dejure territory and things are going swimmingly, problem is I really want that Persian empire title but I'm still only holding 70% of the territory required and the remaining land is all held by the Sunni Caliph who is my religious head, basically I'm hoping for some tips in taking this from him in the most painless way possible, I'm running an ironman save so I'm hesitating on just up and declaring war on him as it could go real bad for me and I'm doing so well :negative:

Not to mention my war options are currently only the standard muslim single county claims so ideas or tips welcome.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

david... posted:

So I'm having my most successful Muslim game so far with the Saffarids, got myself Persia, Baluchistan and Afghanistan kingdoms and just lucked in to Khiva due to a relative with no children holding it and then winding up dead, got all my duchies neatly within their own dejure territory and things are going swimmingly, problem is I really want that Persian empire title but I'm still only holding 70% of the territory required and the remaining land is all held by the Sunni Caliph who is my religious head, basically I'm hoping for some tips in taking this from him in the most painless way possible, I'm running an ironman save so I'm hesitating on just up and declaring war on him as it could go real bad for me and I'm doing so well :negative:

Not to mention my war options are currently only the standard muslim single county claims so ideas or tips welcome.

Marry his daughter to one of your sons, and once your grandson inherits your titles, press his claim for the Arabian Empire.

Pimpmust
Oct 1, 2008

I wish my bloodlines would stop
A) Putting out-of-bloodline people in charge of this here family business kingdom and
B) Stop regular marrying their daughters to said nobodies.

This is an enatic incest kingdom, Zoroaster drat it, why are everyone looking at my angrily when I purify the lands :negative:

Even the better gender law mod can't fix this AI issue :saddowns:

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Have you accepted The Void as your lord and savior?
Due to a series of weird events, I've got a four-man multiplayer session at work coming up. It'll be maybe two hours tops with with. Since I've never played multiplayer (or a game lasting two hours) and have no idea how to introduce people in a safe way, does anyone have a suggestion for start dates/locations? I was thinking Britain at 1066 in order to ease people into the game and end with a lot of backstabbing.

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747

Clanpot Shake posted:

Pope has to like you as well i think, the pope hated me and while i had taken the whole war goal before anyone else got there, he gave it to someone else.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Dongattack posted:

Pope has to like you as well i think, the pope hated me and while i had taken the whole war goal before anyone else got there, he gave it to someone else.

Not really. If somebody hold a title to the target they get it. Otherwise, whoever contributes the most to the war gets it. Pretty sure the Pope's opinion is irrelevant. However, it is possible to get forced to hand Jerusalem in particular over to the Knights Templar. That might have been what is happening but I think that can only happen if the Kingdom of Jerusalem is specifically crusaded and won.

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747

ToxicSlurpee posted:

Not really. If somebody hold a title to the target they get it. Otherwise, whoever contributes the most to the war gets it. Pretty sure the Pope's opinion is irrelevant. However, it is possible to get forced to hand Jerusalem in particular over to the Knights Templar. That might have been what is happening but I think that can only happen if the Kingdom of Jerusalem is specifically crusaded and won.

So if someone who joins the crusader has a claim to the target they get the entire thing? Like say there's a crusade for Andalusia and a Karling joins the crusade and he has a claim to a county or a duchy within Andalusia, he get's the entire thing and not just the county/duchy or does he have to have a claim to the kingdom?

Clanpot Shake
Aug 10, 2006
shake shake!

ToxicSlurpee posted:

Is it possible to check if anyone involved has a claim so I don't have to bother crusading as a woman? Is it just the leaders that appear on the war screen you have to worry about?

Edit: unrelated, I've twice now gotten an event to raze a trade post in some territory I control. What are the benefits of doing it vs leaving it to operate?

Clanpot Shake fucked around with this message at 14:33 on Jul 7, 2014

Tevery Best
Oct 11, 2013

Hewlo Furriend
They need a claim on the Kingdom title.

If you hover your mouse over the crusade banner to the left of the main map, you should get a tooltip saying who gets all the spoils. It might change occasionally, however. And even if there's a claimant, it's still worth it to crusade just for the Crusader trait and loads of free Piety.

Clanpot Shake
Aug 10, 2006
shake shake!

Tevery Best posted:

They need a claim on the Kingdom title.

If you hover your mouse over the crusade banner to the left of the main map, you should get a tooltip saying who gets all the spoils. It might change occasionally, however. And even if there's a claimant, it's still worth it to crusade just for the Crusader trait and loads of free Piety.

Neither of which are available to women who aren't leading troops. In my experience, I get 25 prestige and piety for the first county conquered and none after that. The crusader trait is only available if you're leading troops in the target area (and maybe capture something?)

Good call on the banner thing though - I'll check that next time us good Catholics go to war.

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.

Tevery Best posted:

And even if there's a claimant, it's still worth it to crusade just for the Crusader trait and loads of free Piety.

Possibly not if you're a woman: in vanilla the event assigning the Crusader trait only fires for men even if you somehow have a woman commanding troops along for the ride.

You'll probably get a decent amount of piety (since it mostly comes from sieges and, I think, increased piety income while crusading and so on and so forth) but you won't get the trait. If there's no claimant there's nothing stopping a female ruler from getting the land, but for recapturing European kingdoms there will usually be a claimant and then, as you've seen, things get complicated. I'm pretty sure it distinguishes between claimants based on how much they contribute to the Crusade, but I don't know if it counts their contribution score personally as rulers or the score of whichever court they are hanging out at, or if it weighs different claims differently, or...yeah.

a real rude dude
Jan 23, 2005

Torrannor posted:

Marry his daughter to one of your sons, and once your grandson inherits your titles, press his claim for the Arabian Empire.

Good idea, thanks!

Just watched him completely roll the Byzantines with a full invasion for Greece which he won easily, he's also a total dick.

Edit:

Oh you son of a bitch...

a real rude dude fucked around with this message at 15:22 on Jul 7, 2014

Clanpot Shake
Aug 10, 2006
shake shake!

Is there a good way to reorder my vassals' land without stacking a million tyrant points? As Hispania I have vassal kings of Navarra, Castille, Andalusia, Portugal, and Aragon. Portugal lost a 4-county duchy to Aragon, Andalusia lost 2 or 3 counties to duchies in northern Africa (who are my vassals) and Aragon, Aragon lost that de jure island duchy to Portugal after Portugal had it for 100 years without me noticing, and Castille lost one of its 3 counties to Andulasia. It's a drat mess. Is there a way to redistribute poo poo so that everyone is within their de jure borders?

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

david... posted:

Good idea, thanks!

Just watched him completely roll the Byzantines with a full invasion for Greece which he won easily, he's also a total dick.

Edit:

Oh you son of a bitch...

Punch him, repeatedly.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Dongattack posted:

So if someone who joins the crusader has a claim to the target they get the entire thing? Like say there's a crusade for Andalusia and a Karling joins the crusade and he has a claim to a county or a duchy within Andalusia, he get's the entire thing and not just the county/duchy or does he have to have a claim to the kingdom?

Kingdom claim. Rather than things like Andalusia or Jerusalem, it mostly comes into play for Catholic territory that was conquered by Muslims and restoring it to the dynasty that previously held it. For example, if the Kingdom of Burgundy is conquered by a Muslim ruler, there's a chance that the Pope may call a Crusade for Burgundy, and regardless of who contributes what to the crusade, the kingdom will be returned to the Catholic ex-King of Burgundy or their descendant.

buckets of buckets
Apr 8, 2012

CHECK OUT MY AWESOME POSTS
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3681373&pagenumber=114&perpage=40#post447051278

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3681373&pagenumber=91&perpage=40#post444280066

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3818944&pagenumber=196&perpage=40#post472627338

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3788178&pagenumber=405&perpage=40#post474195694

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3831643&pagenumber=5&perpage=40#post475694634
Question, if an unmarried man knocks up an unmarried woman, and then marries her before the child is born, will the child be a bastard in game terms?

Chickpea Roar
Jan 11, 2006

Merdre!

Bitter Mushroom posted:

Question, if an unmarried man knocks up an unmarried woman, and then marries her before the child is born, will the child be a bastard in game terms?

I think bastards just instantly appear, pregnancies only occur due to marriage as far as I know.

Munin
Nov 14, 2004

Bitter Mushroom posted:

I know that if you tumble someone then make them a concubine then they get the "Child of a Concubine" rather than the bastard trait. I'd presume that marriage would work the same way.

Crazy Joe Wilson
Jul 4, 2007

Justifiably Mad!

What version are you running. I downloaded the Dev version but it keeps crapping out on mye after about 1085 from the 1066 starting point. Real bummer.

Got a query for the modders here. I downloaded and have been playing the Game of Thrones mod, but recently have been encountering a very strange bug. Whenever my daughter is up for a marraige she was betrothed into, the event window for choosing a dowry pops up. However, the only choice is "TARG", and it randomly marries her to some random vassal's kid, usually someone far too young to be married. I'm looking in the game files for the wedding dowry event, but I can't make heads or tails of it, my modding days were all with CK1 and VR1

This is what the event I THINK might have something to do with it looks like.

quote:

#Family of Bride select dowry
character_event = { #Scope to groom
id = wedding.101

is_triggered_only = yes
hide_window = yes

immediate = {
any_spouse = {
if = {
limit = { has_character_flag = dowry_target }
clr_character_flag = dowry_target
character_event = { id = wedding.1 }
}
if = {
limit = { is_ruler = no }
random_dynasty_member = {
limit = { has_character_flag = dowry_target }
clr_character_flag = dowry_target
character_event = { id = wedding.1 }
}
}
}
}

option = {
name = "OK"
}
}

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

Sam's done some goddamn stellar work with the post-apocalyptic mod, especially in the Caribbean. :toot:

(provinces)

(de jure kingdoms)

The map's developed enough (still haven't done jack poo poo west of the Mississippi yet, though) that some event-writing can be done. Lord, that stuff can be a trifle finicky at times.

• Locked thread