Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?
The glove icon is where the catcher is calling for the ball. It isn't necessarily the best place to throw it, but if you don't know a lot about baseball you're probably best off sticking with it. For fastballs you want to put the ball on the glove since they have little movement. For pitches with movement (basically everything else) you want the arrows to be pointing at the glove. In general pitches with movement are harder to place in a location than fastballs, so it is harder to hit a corner with them. The rumbling is for when a pitch location is out of the strike zone, but if there is movement it still could come in and be a strike. Also don't forget that the umpires in the game aren't perfect (unless you turn that feature off) so sometimes they'll call a strike a ball and vice versa on close pitches.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jackofarcades
Sep 2, 2011

Okay, I'll admit it took me a bit to get into it... But I think I kinda love this!! I'm Spider-Man!! I'm actually Spider-Man!! HA!
The arrows are the break, or movement of the pitch. I believe you should aim the arrows at the glove, not the ball.

The rumbling means you are aiming your pitch outside of the strike zone. That's fine though. Don't be afraid to throw offspeed stuff in the dirt or fastballs a little high to try to get guys to chase.

You'll kind of pick up how to pitch as you go along. Also the more you hit the more you'll realize what kind of pitches you can't do much with.

So... how to pitch effectively!

1) Low and away, low and away, low and away. If you don't know where to throw a pitch, put it low and away. That's the toughest place for hitters to get power on the ball and most frequently the place you'll go to get a guy out. Pitchers are trying to go low and away like 50% of the time, they just miss because pitching is hard.

2) Get ahead in the count. If you can get a guy to 0-2 it's almost a sure out, guys hit like .140 at 0-2. If you fall behind to a 3-0 count, batters get to wait for you to throw them a meat pitch down the middle and will crush.

3) If you've got a lot of velocity you an throw up. High fastballs tend to be popped up and most batters have a problem with fastballs up and in.

4) Don't be afraid to pitch around good hitters with a base open, especially since it'll set up a double play.

5) Look at the ratings of the batters. Guys with low plate vision are easier to strike out since they'll be less likely to foul off tough pitches.

Hydrocodone
Sep 26, 2007

jackofarcades posted:

3) If you've got a lot of velocity you an throw up. High fastballs tend to be popped up and most batters have a problem with fastballs up and in.

I'm sure it's always safer with a faster pitch, but the CPU batters try to follow where you've been throwing, right? So you can surprise them high after lots of low stuff even if your fastball's <97?

jackofarcades
Sep 2, 2011

Okay, I'll admit it took me a bit to get into it... But I think I kinda love this!! I'm Spider-Man!! I'm actually Spider-Man!! HA!

Hydrocodone posted:

I'm sure it's always safer with a faster pitch, but the CPU batters try to follow where you've been throwing, right? So you can surprise them high after lots of low stuff even if your fastball's <97?

Sure, I wasn't even talking about 97 but like 93-94. If you have a guy 90 or below that's a lot riskier

davecrazy
Nov 25, 2004

I'm an insufferable shitposter who does not deserve to root for such a good team. Also, this is what Matt Harvey thinks of me and my garbage posting.
Nothing wrong with throwing a fastball up and in trying to get a guy to pop out.

Waffles Inc.
Jan 20, 2005

Thanks for the tips, guys, much obliged.

Maybe an odd question here: will an AI player do record-breaking things? By that I mean is there any programming or anything preventing an all-simmed slugger from breaking a home-run or batting record or anything?

Would I have to control a player for every. single. game. in franchise if I want that player to hit 70+ homers?

Monicro
Oct 21, 2010

And you could feel his features in the air
A wide smile and perfect hair
He had complete control of the rising tides
And a medicine bag hanging at his side

In the flowing blue world of the death-dealing physician

jackofarcades posted:

Sure, I wasn't even talking about 97 but like 93-94. If you have a guy 90 or below that's a lot riskier

It can be sub-90 if you're tricky enough + your setup pitches are good enough. In the last version I could get my knuckleballer's 88-mph fastball past a good amount of guys.

Waffles Inc. posted:

Thanks for the tips, guys, much obliged.

Maybe an odd question here: will an AI player do record-breaking things? By that I mean is there any programming or anything preventing an all-simmed slugger from breaking a home-run or batting record or anything?

Would I have to control a player for every. single. game. in franchise if I want that player to hit 70+ homers?

Depends on the player's ratings. I'm sure there's nothing in place preventing an AI player from doing that, but breaking an all-time record is Pretty Hard so.

Monicro fucked around with this message at 01:25 on Jul 6, 2014

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

I don't muck with the sliders much, but from playing a lot of seasons on all star it's pretty drat rare to see guys break 60 even.

Bautista had something ridiculous like 40+ at the break once, and finished with 64, which was the most I've seen.

SilvergunSuperman fucked around with this message at 02:10 on Jul 6, 2014

Quasimango
Mar 10, 2011

God damn you.
Why is it that when I play with a ML team's real hitters, I hit pretty well, but when I play with my RTTS player, who has 90+ contact, 70+ power, 80+ plate vision, on the same difficulty setting, I can barely crack .200 with him?

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

To sign them is my real test

With full no movement clause
I got two really great pieces of advice from this thread that I wanted to nth so more people can pick them up.

Ever since I started watching the catcher set rather than going on a pitcher's movement, I'm 23/25 on steal attempts with the two failures being pitchouts. I also haven't been picked off once.

Someone also mentioned looking above the strike zone to get a better view of pitches and to use your peripheral vision to help with recognition, rather than trying to follow the ball out of a pitcher's hand. Since been doing that, I'm slashing .352/.417/.593 over my last 27 games.

Waffles Inc.
Jan 20, 2005

Obama Yo Mama posted:

Someone also mentioned looking above the strike zone to get a better view of pitches and to use your peripheral vision to help with recognition, rather than trying to follow the ball out of a pitcher's hand. Since been doing that, I'm slashing .352/.417/.593 over my last 27 games.

I'll have to try this because I still swing at absolute garbage

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer
I lost a 23 game hitting streak because of Citi Field's obnoxious outfield. 4 balls caught right at the wall. Would have been 2 or 3 dingers in another park. Had 9 balls caught at the track over the 4 game series.

Warning track power. :smith:

Dubious
Mar 7, 2006

The Heroes the Vikings Deserve
Lipstick Apathy

Eifert Posting posted:

I lost a 23 game hitting streak because of Citi Field's obnoxious outfield. 4 balls caught right at the wall. Would have been 2 or 3 dingers in another park. Had 9 balls caught at the track over the 4 game series.

Warning track power. :smith:

I pretty much carried the Twins hitting and run scoring after a late July callup. Got the team to within 5 games of a WC.

Enter spring training, I can't hit poo poo and probably won't make the team. As a slugging CF. Gonna lose to Aaron loving Hicks.

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

Waffles Inc. posted:

I'll have to try this because I still swing at absolute garbage

Sliders that start in the zone, low off-speed/breaking stuff, and high fastballs still catch me more often than I'd like, but my BB/PA is up to .085 after spending two full seasons hovering around .007

Waffles Inc.
Jan 20, 2005

Obama Yo Mama posted:

Sliders that start in the zone, low off-speed/breaking stuff, and high fastballs still catch me more often than I'd like, but my BB/PA is up to .085 after spending two full seasons hovering around .007

Off-speed gets me so much that I laugh out loud every time I swing comically early at a change-up in the dirt

jackofarcades
Sep 2, 2011

Waffles Inc. posted:

Off-speed gets me so much that I laugh out loud every time I swing comically early at a change-up in the dirt

I swing at 75 mph changeups like they're 105 mph fastballs.

I've hit 250 home runs with one of my guys and I bet 220 of them were fastballs

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

jackofarcades posted:

I swing at 75 mph changeups like they're 105 mph fastballs.

I've hit 250 home runs with one of my guys and I bet 220 of them were fastballs

A disproportionate number of my dingers come from sliders that stay up and in the strike zone. A hanging breaking ball has to be absolutely the easiest pitch to demolish, you don't even need great contact to send them out.

jackofarcades
Sep 2, 2011

rabidsquid posted:

A disproportionate number of my dingers come from sliders that stay up and in the strike zone. A hanging breaking ball has to be absolutely the easiest pitch to demolish, you don't even need great contact to send them out.

I'm usually stupid early on them so I end up crushing them 400 feet foul.

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

I'm the same way, guys that throw absolute junk give me fits.

Fastballs in the mid 80s and changes in the 70s? I swing like a loving rear end in a top hat.

KDdidit
Mar 2, 2007

Grimey Drawer
It's not so much the offspeed pitches that I yank foul at home rub distance that annoy me, it's when I'm stupid early on 98mph fastballs and do the same.

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

The Reds in my RTTS won't stop wearing the loving camo jerseys

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

SilvergunSuperman posted:

I'm the same way, guys that throw absolute junk give me fits.

Fastballs in the mid 80s and changes in the 70s? I swing like a loving rear end in a top hat.

That's why my favorite pitcher is Weaver. He tops out at 87 if the wind is blowing like a hurricane from centerfield and his change-up defies the law of physics by traveling that far and going so slow.

Waffles Inc.
Jan 20, 2005

After all of my bellyaching, I just stayed up way later than normal for a Sunday night because after a few innings I realized I was on a roll. Threw myself a no-hitter :getin: The second ever in Mets history!

One walk away from a perfect game, too. That was probably the most nerve-wracking thing I've ever done in a sports video game. How in the hell is there not a PSN Trophy for a no-hitter?

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
The astros #7 guy just bunted in the 9th to break up my no hit/perfect bid. Super cool, guy. It went 9 inches and then the third baseman, catcher, and my pitcher all sat around and debated who was going to pick it up. The terrorists won.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

Ether Frenzy posted:

The astros #7 guy just bunted in the 9th to break up my no hit/perfect bid.

Craig Biggio came out of retirement to destroy you.

gleep gloop
Aug 16, 2005

GROSS SHIT

Ether Frenzy posted:

The astros #7 guy just bunted in the 9th to break up my no hit/perfect bid. Super cool, guy. It went 9 inches and then the third baseman, catcher, and my pitcher all sat around and debated who was going to pick it up. The terrorists won.

2014 is better than games in the past have been but I still get hosed on bunts occasionally. Sometimes the AI will bunt, my catcher becomes the active fielder so I push up on the stick, then it auto-switches to the pitcher. The catcher just stands still and the pitchers runs away from the ball. Sometimes the third baseman swoops in and picks up the ball after the runner has reached first, taken off his shinguard and gloves, and become bored.

Ice To Meet You
Mar 5, 2007

I don't think I've ever pitched an RTTS game against the Royals where they've had less than 2 bunt singles. Jarrod Dyson is too fast and my infielders never play him in, so there's no chance to get him.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Alan Trammell posted:

I don't think I've ever pitched an RTTS game against the Royals where they've had less than 2 bunt singles. Jarrod Dyson is too fast and my infielders never play him in, so there's no chance to get him.

Can't you make defensive shifts when you're pitching in RTTS? I've never bothered trying but I thought the option was still in the menus.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

gleep gloop posted:

2014 is better than games in the past have been but I still get hosed on bunts occasionally. Sometimes the AI will bunt, my catcher becomes the active fielder so I push up on the stick, then it auto-switches to the pitcher. The catcher just stands still and the pitchers runs away from the ball. Sometimes the third baseman swoops in and picks up the ball after the runner has reached first, taken off his shinguard and gloves, and become bored.

Honestly I've seen more bunting in 30 games of The Show 2014 than I have in all the of the baseball I've ever watched.

jackofarcades
Sep 2, 2011

So it's 2018 and I've maxed the attributes of my player. That's fun in its own way but I want a bit more of a challenge.

Can anyone think of a good way to pick out max attributes? I wanna set target attributes before I start the character and get my guy there and see how that guys. Ie, 85 contact, 55 speed or something.

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

Little things that annoy me part a billion

You already know which stadium is hosting the All-Star game next year, and 22 other existing ones already have so you know exactly what they looked like. Would be it that hard to just make an ASG mock-up of each stadium and throw them on random so I don't have to play in the same one for 15 times?

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
Had this pitcher walking me, getting tons of help from the umps and throwing lovely pitches.

I end up with a 9 pitch at bat and getting a 2 RBI home run on a contact swing. That's what you get, rear end in a top hat :frogout:

jackofarcades
Sep 2, 2011

Boy my Braves team is painfully like the real Braves team

And by that I mean we averaged 120 games won for four years and didn't win a World Series, getting knocked out by the Rangers, Reds, Reds, Rangers

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Man, I can't figure out my guy and his fielding. 71 fielding, arm S and A but it still seems like he can't stop anything at third and there's this weird hesitation when I press to throw.

jackofarcades
Sep 2, 2011

jackofarcades posted:

Boy my Braves team is painfully like the real Braves team

And by that I mean we averaged 120 games won for four years and didn't win a World Series, getting knocked out by the Rangers, Reds, Reds, Rangers

I signed with the Rangers and we swept the D-Backs in the WS. I hit 4 HR with 12 RBI but lost the World Series MVP to Anthony loving Rendon (on the Rangers, not d-backs) who hit .465 with 3 RBI.

Eifert Posting posted:

Man, I can't figure out my guy and his fielding. 71 fielding, arm S and A but it still seems like he can't stop anything at third and there's this weird hesitation when I press to throw.

What's your reaction like? Third base is more about that than anything else.

DannoMack
Aug 1, 2003

i love it when you call me big poppa
Man running a franchise with the Astros with Knight's rosters is nearly impossible. Practically every contract in the organization ends after year one and there isn't enough room to fit all your good players AND good prospects on your 40 man to make them renewable so you lose them to free agency/waivers.

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

i think of the last 50 balls my guy has put into play, maybe 6 of them have left the infield

GROUND BALL CITY BITCH

HIT A BALL IN THE gently caress AIR YOU rear end in a top hat

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Closing in on the home run record. My player's highest power rating is 80 so iunno what the hell. Dynamic difficulty has me 5 dingers away with 15 games left.

Eifert Posting fucked around with this message at 06:24 on Jul 17, 2014

Jingleheimer
Mar 30, 2006
I figured I needed to take a break from the game for a little while since my guy in RTTS is apparently the video game version of Mike Olt. I like hitting dingers but it would be nice to actually get on base every once in a while.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire
I got this game recently and have been really enjoying it. I know Baseball but this is my first time playing a baseball video game.

So my guy is a pitcher in RTTS mode and I've mostly figured it all out by trial and error but help me out here, the icons for curve balls...how am I supposed to read that? What do I do with it? Is the ball approximately where it'll end up, or are those arrows coming off it the direction it'll ultimately go? Like how am I supposed to work with it?

Edit: Disregard, Jackofarcades answered it on this very page.

RagnarokAngel fucked around with this message at 07:39 on Jul 17, 2014

• Locked thread