Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lassitude
Oct 21, 2003

Nookovian-Red posted:

Who needs outfits when you can cert out the MCG. I'd recommend BWC if you're hell bent on joining TR. They're one of the few TR outfits that have any impact on the sever meta. I think they're hyper milspergs though.

They're milsperg in the sense that they allow terrible players to become leaders, and then allow those leaders to tell platoons worth of people to do stupid things. It's infatuated with the US military, and considers rank within the outfit to be more important than competence. This is sometimes okay, when you have people who aren't poo poo and don't take any of it too seriously running things, but it can also mean having someone with 0.4 KDR telling 48+ worth of TR how to go about things and really micromanaging them in the process, resulting in 1 - 2 hours of a lot of TR getting farmed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010

Lassitude posted:

They're milsperg in the sense that they allow terrible players to become leaders, and then allow those leaders to tell platoons worth of people to do stupid things. It's infatuated with the US military, and considers rank within the outfit to be more important than competence. This is sometimes okay, when you have people who aren't poo poo and don't take any of it too seriously running things, but it can also mean having someone with 0.4 KDR telling 48+ worth of TR how to go about things and really micromanaging them in the process, resulting in 1 - 2 hours of a lot of TR getting farmed.

Why are all the milsperg US Military types on the TR anyway? You'd think they'd be drawn to the glorious 'Murrica NC offers.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!

ShineDog posted:

So, with the talk of merging the EU servers (again), is the game struggling? I normally play for a day or two and burn out quickly, but was thinking of jumping in again.

The game was seeing a slow decline, but since hossin and continent locking has come in things have improved.

http://steamgraph.net/index.php?action=graph&appid=218230&from=1402122989

The game itself has seen some really nice improvements in the last 2 months and with the PS4 release around the corner I can see numbers improving further.

Mega Comrade fucked around with this message at 18:10 on Jul 7, 2014

Carteret
Nov 10, 2012

Lassitude posted:

They allow terrible people to become leaders, and then allow those leaders to tell platoons worth of people to do stupid things. The US military considers rank within the outfit to be more important than competence. This is sometimes okay, when you have people who aren't poo poo and don't take any of it too seriously running things, but it can also mean having someone with 0 experience telling 48+ worth of soldiers how to go about things and really micromanaging them in the process.

USArmy.txt

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood
Nah, Spacemurica isn't jackbooty enough for these Lazarus Long-style ROTC-rejects.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Sounds like the interest in a >once weekly TR outfit is pretty strong. I don't mind splitting time between GOON and K0TH and all but anybody who wants to play TR in a non-lovely, SA outfit needs to make sure there's a squad up for people to join when they log in. Squad leading is very, very easy I promise. Hell I lead ops most nights and I'm dumb as hell.

A lot of people log in, see there's no squad/activity, then log out. You can see this checking the connect/disconnect log in Mumble. If you build it, they will come!

For the moment we are using the TIPI mumble channel under Higby's Heroes. Any chance we could get out own/annex that one formally, oh person who runs that mumble whose name I do not know?

PHIZ KALIFA posted:

Nah, Spacemurica isn't jackbooty enough for these Lazarus Long-style ROTC-rejects.

We make fun of them and their weird armchair general WW1 fetishes because we're FREE to do so and POINTS FOR STYLE?p :911:

Epic High Five fucked around with this message at 18:14 on Jul 7, 2014

pakman
Jun 27, 2011

BadLlama posted:

I miss BCP to be honest.

BuzzCut made the trains run on time.

Prophecy120
Feb 4, 2003

God Bless the Enclave! God Bless America!
I'm in love with Anti-tank mines. With the max level munitions pouch you can carry 4 at a time and (since no one runs mine guard anymore) it only takes 2 to one-shot any vehicle in the game. I'm really getting the hang of finding predictable paths Prowlers and Sunderers take and the hill-tops that Magriders love so much.

Last night I drop podded to the very top of a tech plant thanks to a spawn beacon and found a small ledge which I could drop mines down on the vehicle exit of the plant. I killed a 6 of 12 Sunderer and a 2/2 Prowler within a minute or so of each other. That combined with a few Lightning kills from my AV turret gave me my first 20k score per single death.

"Won't be prowling anymore" :clint:

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

AT mines have always and will always continue to be amazing. You can place them in the laziest fashion out in the open on the center of a road and certs will still drive straight into them to be deposited straight into your cert account.

o muerte
Dec 13, 2008

Gaghskull posted:

Just start over in NC or VS. Both of our goon outfits are great and will get your back through BR 50 in no time at all. Much better than smashing your head against the rock wall of racism that is TR.

Mattherson TR might have been full of racist shitlords but Waterson TR definitely wasn't. I think if anything the merge has drastically improved the quality of person playing TR on Emerald (read: Waterson has diluted the Mattherson TR shitpool.)

Also, telling new players "don't play TR" because goons have a raging hateboner for a very public racist who doesn't even play the game anymore is pretty stupid.

TL;DR: Get Over It, play whatever faction appeals to you.

FWIW I have very little trouble finding confused NC/VS to wreck when I play my TR.

Fans posted:

I think people assume all of the VS is like GOKU and DA, when in reality most of the VS are as incompetent and confused about which way bullets go as any pubbie Outfit from the NC or TR. I'm not shooting DAPP and going "Wow, these guys sure are pro tier pubbies."

A fair few goons like playing on TR, get your butts in K0TH. You only need two people to be a Pounder MAX and Engineer and collect ALL THE CERTS IN THE WORLD.

Pounder MAX really is the best max :allears:

Nookovian-Red
Sep 13, 2002
I WILL NOT CLOSE THREAD IN Serious Hardware / Software Crap

Lassitude posted:

Sad to hear that. I only know BWC from fighting them. In my experience they tend to use the galaxy effectively and are pretty good at keeping squads together. During Friday night OPS BWC and 903 working together can be pretty intimidating if they're not ghost capping. I figured for a newb this wouldn't be a bad jump off point to learning what goes on in Outfitside compared to every other TR outfit all of whom are forgettable to say the least.

Desideratus
Oct 5, 2008

Who are we? We find that we live on an insignificant planet of a humdrum star lost in a galaxy tucked away in some forgotten corner of a universe in which there are far more galaxies than people.

o muerte posted:

Also, telling new players "don't play TR" because goons have a raging hateboner for a very public racist who doesn't even play the game anymore is pretty stupid.
Actually I think we're mostly saying not to play TR because playing this game without a decent outfit is incredibly painful, and TR are pretty much universally trash, except for a couple outcroppings of autism (EXOC comes to mind).

Seriously, this game really is not good enough to warrant playing without the social aspect that comes from an outfit, which is a big reason that it's had pretty lovely player retention overall. If you go lonewolfing it, you will eventually regret this decision and probably end up rerolling or quitting anyways; Might as well bite the bullet and make a char on one of the other factions to begin with.

Viva Miriya
Jan 9, 2007

vigorous sodomy posted:

never listen to me because I'm a retard
fixed that for you buddy

Lassitude
Oct 21, 2003

Nookovian-Red posted:

Sad to hear that. I only know BWC from fighting them. In my experience they tend to use the galaxy effectively and are pretty good at keeping squads together. During Friday night OPS BWC and 903 working together can be pretty intimidating if they're not ghost capping. I figured for a newb this wouldn't be a bad jump off point to learning what goes on in Outfitside compared to every other TR outfit all of whom are forgettable to say the least.

During Tue/Fri op times they do really well because there's a good chance their decent players/leaders will be on and will be running things. During the day it can be anyone at all running things, which can mean having a SL/PL who's playing one-handed while he jacks it to USMC training videos, telling everyone to stack up and clear buildings like they do in real life, and throwing everyone at enemy biolabs in which they're seriously outpopped in the name of some vague strategic significance. That's why you don't see BWC around much outside of their two big scheduled op times. Nobody wants to log on and find someone terrible bossing them around, making them do stupid poo poo, when all they want to do is shoot some dudes and farm some certs.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Desideratus posted:

Actually I think we're mostly saying not to play TR because playing this game without a decent outfit is incredibly painful, and TR are pretty much universally trash, except for a couple outcroppings of autism (EXOC comes to mind).

Seriously, this game really is not good enough to warrant playing without the social aspect that comes from an outfit, which is a big reason that it's had pretty lovely player retention overall. If you go lonewolfing it, you will eventually regret this decision and probably end up rerolling or quitting anyways; Might as well bite the bullet and make a char on one of the other factions to begin with.

I agree completely with this. I've had a couple friends try to play it after me warning them to wait till I was on so they could play with our outfit. They played for like 30 minutes, decided it wasn't really for them. On the other hand, the people I've talked into playing with our outfit ended up playing what probably seemed like a completely different game.

People can play TR if they want to, but I'm never going to recommend goons play TR unless we eventually get a successful outfit on there. Otherwise the game is going to be terrible and it has nothing to do with BCP.

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.
Maybe some of the goons who are stubborn enough to ignore the thread consensus and main TR can actually put together/take over a decent non-alt outfit that will stick this time (now that we have only two US servers and ideally less pop splitting?)

(not me, VS4lyfe)

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Dallan Invictus posted:

Maybe some of the goons who are stubborn enough to ignore the thread consensus and main TR can actually put together/take over a decent non-alt outfit that will stick this time (now that we have only two US servers and ideally less pop splitting?)

(not me, VS4lyfe)

I'm more than willing to cede informal leadership of K0TH to a hive mind of people willing to lead. That is literally 100% of the things that an outfit needs to take off - a mass of people willing to keep squads up and waypoints down.

I love swimming in hilariously OP bullshit (Pounders to TORQ to Prowler to I just can't even choose!) and would very much prefer to do it with goons

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Honestly I would definitely play TR one night a week as well and I bet a lot of other people would too. Combine that with some dedicated TR Goons and it would probably do pretty well. I don't have anything against TR except that there are no good outfits. I would love to play around with some hilariously better weapons than what I'm used to more often anyway.

Zierham
Dec 17, 2004
"Put something in otherwise you get stupid newbie"
Yeah, it seems like the objective advice in the thread is not to play TR because there is no Goon outfit and Goon outfits promise to provide the kind of social interaction that we gently caress-ups apparently enjoy (based on us reading/posting in this here thread). The fact that BCP is a peice of loving poo poo and brought out the worst in other (Mattherson) TR is just a secondary reason. Whether there are or are not ANY decent-and-fun TR outfits since the merge is immaterial; they aren't Goons so they aren't the same, so while you might be able to make do as a TR you're missing out on at least something that GOKU and GOON provide.

Then, because of faction loyalty and basic FPS shittalking, that core reason not to play TR is presented as "they loving suck".

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Yeah you definitely want to be in a GOON outfit. There's some good ones out there but they don't go hunting for people so you're unlikely to find them.

Eonwe posted:

Honestly I would definitely play TR one night a week as well and I bet a lot of other people would too. Combine that with some dedicated TR Goons and it would probably do pretty well. I don't have anything against TR except that there are no good outfits. I would love to play around with some hilariously better weapons than what I'm used to more often anyway.

This sounds good. For everybody interested what day works best for a formal HANK HILL APPRECIATION STATION ops night? Tuesdays should work well for me for the moment, but I'm flexible.

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

Considering the current state of Emerald TR, you're either going to end up in a poo poo zergfit outfit, or an outfit that's small, stupid, and pedantic. Either way, they will kill the game for you. I can't think of a semi-decent TR outfit that isn't overrun with shitlords off the top of my head.

If you run NC or VS, however, you can run with goons. Goons may be shitlords, but they're not terrifically awful spergy shitheads (well, most of them, anyway). NC guns are actually really good, once you get the hang of them. VS guns are a special breed of boring, but we make up for it with Disco and Anime.

Gonkish fucked around with this message at 20:14 on Jul 7, 2014

Arghy
Nov 15, 2012

TR suck because you dont have smart people watching your back--the game is horrible to play when your constantly getting flanked by loving VS/NC because your faction is filled with brain dead lone wolves. There is no good TR outfit like GOON/GOKU besides the super spergs like EXOC/SVO so your basically stuck playing with AOD/382 and they will make you hate the game.

SVO needs to stop trying to be a TR DA and start acting like a TR GOKU, recruit more people get a good platoon sized force of medium-high skilled players. Good leaders in charge of smart players literally make or break your faction. You could have a super KV on your faction but if he has no one to work with then its pointless.

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006

Rookersh posted:

Why are all the milsperg US Military types on the TR anyway? You'd think they'd be drawn to the glorious 'Murrica NC offers.

In psychographic terms, the factions are mostly split along Johnnies. If you're unfamiliar with Timmy, Johnny and Spike triad of gamer, here's a thing that explains it in Magic: The Gathering terms which was the first place to use it that I'm aware of. Definitely not all, but a lot of people really attached to TR do so because they really like the flavor of TR. I wouldn't say "fascists" but definitely "unironic appreciators of the ouevre of Robert Heinlein" the primary distinction being that one of the two reads the news.

The NC call it 'Murrica, which betrays Unserious Tendencies and ruins a dedicated TR's Johnnyfeel.

Which is too bad, because TR is the ultimate Spike/Timmy faction.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Willie Tomg posted:

In psychographic terms, the factions are mostly split along Johnnies. If you're unfamiliar with Timmy, Johnny and Spike triad of gamer, here's a thing that explains it in Magic: The Gathering terms which was the first place to use it that I'm aware of. Definitely not all, but a lot of people really attached to TR do so because they really like the flavor of TR. I wouldn't say "fascists" but definitely "unironic appreciators of the ouevre of Robert Heinlein" the primary distinction being that one of the two reads the news.

The NC call it 'Murrica, which betrays Unserious Tendencies and ruins a dedicated TR's Johnnyfeel.

Which is too bad, because TR is the ultimate Spike/Timmy faction.

Starship Troopers was the worst loving book. Okay first half, one of the worst second halves I've ever read in my entire life.

I've never seen that article and the degree to which I am a "Johnny" (even having the name John) is startling. I literally played M:TG just to build new, weird decks and ended up quitting when I ran out of people to build them for because nobody wanted to play my weird rear end Elf and Kithkin and unexpected hybrid decks, or worse yet they'd build decks SPECIFICALLY to face those decks and wouldn't play it with any other deck, which undermines the variety I was aiming for because M:TG, like Planetside 2, is seriously loving lovely and frustrating if you're in it to win it and in one specific way

Giving it some more thought, I'd say that the VS on Emerald trend toward Spike in a very noticable way, the NC are straight up Johnny, and the TR are Timmy except they don't realize that their whole deck is full of 8/8 green monsters with trample that gain 2/2 a turn and they've got a dozen 1 mana artifact cards that will bring any creature from your hand into play for 1 mana

Prophecy120
Feb 4, 2003

God Bless the Enclave! God Bless America!

Epic High Five posted:

This sounds good. For everybody interested what day works best for a formal HANK HILL APPRECIATION STATION ops night? Tuesdays should work well for me for the moment, but I'm flexible.

TR Night is a fantastic idea. Monday is probably bad since most people are burnt out from playing all weekend, and TERRAN TUESDAYS has a nice ring to it.

INKRO
Feb 7, 2012

o muerte posted:

Mattherson TR might have been full of racist shitlords but Waterson TR definitely wasn't. I think if anything the merge has drastically improved the quality of person playing TR on Emerald (read: Waterson has diluted the Mattherson TR shitpool.)

I'm not surprised at this, Waterson TR did have a few bad applies like every other group on the internet, but by and large they were/are fairly chill guys to play with and against for the most part.

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003

Rookersh posted:

The NC does field more tryhard Milsperg outfits. They say poo poo like 'be advised...' or 'squad lead this is dagger second, request permission to pull sundy' and my God there is so much wanna be hoohah I almost choke and die.

And FYI, there are other people to play this game with besides lel stairs in your house goons.

lite_sleepr fucked around with this message at 21:12 on Jul 7, 2014

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood
I always encounter that poo poo while ghostcapping with pubbies at like 3AM. Nerds cannot abide a refusal to cover the deltas so as to stop the vectors from making GBS threads up.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

vigorous sodomy posted:

The NC does field more tryhard Milsperg outfits. They say poo poo like 'be advised...' or 'squad lead this is dagger second, request permission to pull sundy' and my God there is so much wanna be hoohah I almost choke and die.

Who does this? Our biggest tryhard outfit just proudly posted a picture of getting a Vanguard on top of a big rear end tree in Hossin and regularly takes great pride in being total Jackhammer cheeseballs.

Horizontal Tree
Jan 1, 2010

Arghy posted:

SVO needs to stop trying to be a TR DA and start acting like a TR GOKU, recruit more people get a good platoon sized force of medium-high skilled players. Good leaders in charge of smart players literally make or break your faction. You could have a super KV on your faction but if he has no one to work with then its pointless.

Given I've been gone for a week, but last I talked to Kylerr/VengeanceD, theyre working on improving squad play to do just that. I got I think 4-5 good players into SV0 with me, bringing the numbers into the 50s, and they've been working with DD12 (Waterson TR single-squad try hard outfit, some leftovers of NUC) a bit too. If we can pull two squads of SV0 with a squad of DD12 for Ops time, TR would have a good small force that could make a difference.
I just notice these guys aren't accustomed to some squad play tactics that are second nature to GOKU, but I saw huge improvements in just two nights of Ops.

I really, really want a TR outfit that can put up a fight, to both play with and against.

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum
I presume almost no VS milsperg because it's impossible to take that sort of thing seriously when you're firing a purple laser dildo while wearing tight-fitting spandex. Other than the times we roleplay TR with Condiment Actual on non-FRZA nights (where we also roleplay TR).

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003

Epic High Five posted:

Who does this? Our biggest tryhard outfit just proudly posted a picture of getting a Vanguard on top of a big rear end tree in Hossin and regularly takes great pride in being total Jackhammer cheeseballs.

Tactical Gamers did it. SG does it. I can't remember the others, but every NC outfit I've been in had some degree of milsperg autism without fail.

One of them even called their Mumble server to attention anytime one of their officers walked in.

Nakar posted:

I presume almost no VS milsperg because it's impossible to take that sort of thing seriously when you're firing a purple laser dildo while wearing tight-fitting spandex. Other than the times we roleplay TR with Condiment Actual on non-FRZA nights (where we also roleplay TR).

Today I was running with ZenChicken and we talked about enthralling topics such as:

- Incest and masturbating with your sister
- Being arrested for gathering water on your property
- Facial hair
- Reasons why the TR are bad
- Our current objectives and how to win alerts

lite_sleepr fucked around with this message at 21:15 on Jul 7, 2014

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

I feel command chat on all the factions is pretty horrible, just one faction is a little more horrible than the others.

Actually, can you mute command chat? That would be fantastic.

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003
All factions are bad.

TR command chat is bad because it is silent. There is no communication between anyone. TR is just 3 or 4 huge lovely hellzerg outfits not talking to one another and doing their own thing. It's like if menstruating teenagers were in command of armies. "Ugh, I won't deign to coordinate with BWC. Have you seen their darkflame cammo? I just can't trust them!"

NC isn't too bad. You'll see a /ORDERS chat up once in a while, but it's usually a bad idea like, NC COMMAND: Jam all vannies into a bottle neck so the VS can't get through!" NC DRIVERS: "OK!" and then our lancers melt from over use.

VS is like "Hey, we are about an hour into this alert and the TR haven't done anything of note, so just keep an eye on our TR front and push the NC. The NC are giving us a problem." and it's like well gently caress me in the Ozarks, sensible orders.

Daynab
Aug 5, 2008

BadLlama posted:

I feel command chat on all the factions is pretty horrible, just one faction is a little more horrible than the others.

You can in the options. I had to do it after a few nights in a row of non-stop talking getting on my nerves.

Gregen
Jun 12, 2010

Nakar posted:

I've heard "Be Advised" over command chat before, but that's about it. I think Arghy likes to tell people they're dumb over it, but its been a while since he's lead and said he was doing that.

BadLlama posted:

You can, go to your social tab while you're a squad or platoon lead, select voice/chat options, select the command tab, there are additional audio options in the box of names, adjust the slider to 0.

Gregen fucked around with this message at 21:32 on Jul 7, 2014

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

BadLlama posted:

Yes, but it still autoducks the game volume which is irritating, at times. But at least even if you know Wisdomcube is filling Command with his verbal diarrhea, you don't have to actually HEAR it.

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

The best part about this game is how riled up the tryhards get when they get stomped by people that are just there to dick around. No matter what factions are involved, there's just so many shitheads who take losses badly and consider the Mattherson yell chat meta to be dishonorable.

Being called horrible shitters by horrible shitters is what makes the game great.

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

Okay awesome, I am going to have to do that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nookovian-Red
Sep 13, 2002
I WILL NOT CLOSE THREAD IN Serious Hardware / Software Crap

Horizontal Tree posted:

Given I've been gone for a week, but last I talked to Kylerr/VengeanceD, theyre working on improving squad play to do just that. I got I think 4-5 good players into SV0 with me, bringing the numbers into the 50s, and they've been working with DD12 (Waterson TR single-squad try hard outfit, some leftovers of NUC) a bit too.

What happened to NUC? I remember seeing a vid of them doing a pretty coordinated hold without sundy support. They seemed to have their poo poo together and I was looking forward to fighting against them after the merge but I've only seen a single guy rocking the tag.

• Locked thread