Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

echomadman posted:

this is meta as gently caress

I literally just incepted reddit on SA, it is me who is the monster now.

Edit: You guys are so wonderfully predictable :3:

Z3n fucked around with this message at 18:51 on Jul 6, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe
Will you lot all just gently caress and get it over with? This is obviously unresolved sexual tension, just grab the baby oil, head out to the woods, and get it out of your respective systems.

Posts about "<x> poster is loving terrible and needs to shut up" are way, way more annoying (and ridiculously more numerous) than any amount of that persons posting can ever be.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Will you lot all just gently caress and get it over with? This is obviously unresolved sexual tension, just grab the baby oil, head out to the woods, and get it out of your respective systems.

Posts about "<x> poster is loving terrible and needs to shut up" are way, way more annoying (and ridiculously more numerous) than any amount of that persons posting can ever be.

You're going to have to join the gently caress party as overseer now.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Z3n posted:

You're going to have to join the gently caress party as overseer now.

If I wanted to see a bunch of annoying pricks I'd go to Reddit.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

Z3n posted:

reddit is poo poo because it's an insular circlejerk of people who are unaware of their lovely opinions because it's way easier to post meaningless drivel that masquerades as content then it is to actually post something worthwhile, and eventually good posters get driven out cause they get tired of constantly having to deal with terrible people posting dumb poo poo day in day out.
I feel like I want to disagree with you but I'm not sure I can because I've never seen enough content in reddit to see if it is what you describe. Almost everything over there is "any love for <something completely uninteresting>?" or "what is this bike? <photo of complete piece of poo poo 82 Suzuki subframe cut off>" or "i love the look of <bobbers/cafes/streetfighters>!!! where can i get one for under $500?" or "<verb> <female pronoun for bike> <vague sexual innuendo>" or "<memegenerator for something so mundane as having to piss once you get your suit on>". It's the worst stereotype of creepy nerds multiplied by 10 with vapid bad ideas thrown in. Some of the links to news articles or generic imgurs are useful, that's about it.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

goddamnedtwisto posted:

If I wanted to see a bunch of annoying pricks I'd go to Reddit.

:supaburn:

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

I feel like I want to disagree with you but I'm not sure I can because I've never seen enough content in reddit to see if it is what you describe. Almost everything over there is "any love for <something completely uninteresting>?" or "what is this bike? <photo of complete piece of poo poo 82 Suzuki subframe cut off>" or "i love the look of <bobbers/cafes/streetfighters>!!! where can i get one for under $500?" or "<verb> <female pronoun for bike> <vague sexual innuendo>" or "<memegenerator for something so mundane as having to piss once you get your suit on>". It's the worst stereotype of creepy nerds multiplied by 10 with vapid bad ideas thrown in. Some of the links to news articles or generic imgurs are useful, that's about it.

Ahh ok, so all of the good posters have fled reddit now then. :v:

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

This is like watching one of those endless, rolling domestic disputes that gets reignited with every tiny thing because neither party wants to give an inch on principle.

"Hey did you leave the milk out?"
"WHY DO YOU ALWAYS HAVE TO ASSUME I DID SOMETHING WRONG TODD WHY CANT IT BE SOMEONE ELSE YOU ALWAYS SEE THE WORST I AM SICK OF THIS"

ad infinitum for like a dozen pages until everyone involved loses the energy, and then they realise they're in a crowded place and everyone is staring.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
I let it sit and I'm glad I did.

Reminder that Razzled was cool and I never told him not to look up poo poo or learn, just let someone else answer first. It was just a bit of friendly advice cause I've been the google answerer before.

Discomancer
Aug 31, 2001

I'm on a cupcake caper!
What's the best way to clean an ABS sensor without damaging it, just a light cloth wipe for glasses? My warning light came on recently and I'm pretty sure it's just dirty as hell and interfering with the sensor.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.
I just wanted to say that I am literally a teacher, and if you genuinely are interested in getting people to learn, then when they make a mistake it's much more effective to point out nicely what they did wrong and say "keep at it, you'll get better" than to mock them for their stupidity. Doing the latter requires that the students figure it out for themselves (sometimes they will come to the wrong conclusions, or never figure it out at all) and it makes them hate you to boot.

e: Regardless, I think nsaP is right that you should probably try to avoid making suggestions about things you don't have experience with (being guilty of having done te same)...but also it's a discussion forum, not three or four gurus sitting on a mountain top answering questions for the acolytes. nsaP, you've defended n8r before by saying "he gets tired of answering the dumb questions over and over again and that's why he's nasty to people." So the solution there is to let the less experienced people answer the less complex questions, just like in my classes when the people doing well sort of naturally help the person beside them who's struggling. Everyone's entitled to (and should be encouraged to) contribute what they can.

Sagebrush fucked around with this message at 20:22 on Jul 6, 2014

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Sagebrush posted:

I just wanted to say that I am literally a teacher, and if you genuinely are interested in getting people to learn, then when they make a mistake it's much more effective to point out nicely what they did wrong and say "keep at it, you'll get better" than to mock them for their stupidity. Doing the latter requires that the students figure it out for themselves (sometimes they will come to the wrong conclusions, or never figure it out at all) and it makes them hate you to boot.

One weird trick to have a nice internet forum.

Discomancer posted:

What's the best way to clean an ABS sensor without damaging it, just a light cloth wipe for glasses? My warning light came on recently and I'm pretty sure it's just dirty as hell and interfering with the sensor.

It's exposed to all kinds of road debris, so any soapy water would be fine. I'd probably hit it with either simple green or WD40 depending on what I had on hand.

Also, check the connectors and wires that are exposed for damage - might just be a gunked up connector.

Discomancer
Aug 31, 2001

I'm on a cupcake caper!

Z3n posted:

It's exposed to all kinds of road debris, so any soapy water would be fine. I'd probably hit it with either simple green or WD40 depending on what I had on hand.

Also, check the connectors and wires that are exposed for damage - might just be a gunked up connector.

Thanks, that sounds like a good place to start troubleshooting if cleaning it doesn't fix it.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Z3n posted:

Are ABS sensors optical then? I was sure they were electromagnetic? That would certainly make a lot more sense given the poo poo flying around your wheels. In either case I'd be very cautious with WD40 near braking surfaces, that stuff is brilliant at finding the exact places you don't want to go (ask me how I found that out!).

Blast it with brake cleaner would be my advice, it's what it's for after all.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Are ABS sensors optical then? I was sure they were electromagnetic? That would certainly make a lot more sense given the poo poo flying around your wheels. In either case I'd be very cautious with WD40 near braking surfaces, that stuff is brilliant at finding the exact places you don't want to go (ask me how I found that out!).

Blast it with brake cleaner would be my advice, it's what it's for after all.

Nah, they're hall effect sensors. I figured you'd remove the sensor (usually it's only a single bolt) and clean it. I'd be careful with brake cleaner just cause it has a tendency to do a number on plastic and the housings for those modules are plastic. It's probably fine, given how quickly brake cleaner evaporates, but I'm lazy and/or paranoid.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Sagebrush posted:

e: Regardless, I think nsaP is right that you should probably try to avoid making suggestions about things you don't have experience with (being guilty of having done te same)...but also it's a discussion forum, not three or four gurus sitting on a mountain top answering questions for the acolytes. nsaP, you've defended n8r before by saying "he gets tired of answering the dumb questions over and over again and that's why he's nasty to people." So the solution there is to let the less experienced people answer the less complex questions, just like in my classes when the people doing well sort of naturally help the person beside them who's struggling. Everyone's entitled to (and should be encouraged to) contribute what they can.

The fact that you're a schoolteacher is so bloody fitting that it blows my mind. Does it depress you to go on this forum and find that the fruits of your labour can grow up to be adult professionals and still have the same bullshit dickwaving arguments they had at the back of the class about goku vs superman?

Z3n posted:

Nah, they're hall effect sensors. I figured you'd remove the sensor (usually it's only a single bolt) and clean it. I'd be careful with brake cleaner just cause it has a tendency to do a number on plastic and the housings for those modules are plastic. It's probably fine, given how quickly brake cleaner evaporates, but I'm lazy and/or paranoid.

Brake cleaner will annihilate the plastic on a hall sensor and make it really brittle and prone to cracking, I'd use soapy water or something. A dirty chopper ring can cause ABS faults too.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.

Slavvy posted:

The fact that you're a schoolteacher is so bloody fitting that it blows my mind. Does it depress you to go on this forum and find that the fruits of your labour can grow up to be adult professionals and still have the same bullshit dickwaving arguments they had at the back of the class about goku vs superman?

What, you thought being constantly pedantic and overexplaining everything in painstaking detail was just a hobby of mine? No, sir, I'm a professional. :v:

Boys will be boys. I teach people of all ages across my actual career and in volunteer work, but the men are always the difficult ones. It's most dramatic at the high school level, where despite all being the same age, the girls mostly act like college students, while the boys mostly act like ten-year-olds.

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

Sagebrush posted:

What, you thought being constantly pedantic and overexplaining everything in painstaking detail was just a hobby of mine? No, sir, I'm a professional. :v:

Boys will be boys. I teach people of all ages across my actual career and in volunteer work, but the men are always the difficult ones. It's most dramatic at the high school level, where despite all being the same age, the girls mostly act like college students, while the boys mostly act like ten-year-olds.

High school? poo poo I work with some 30+ year olds who act like ten-year-olds. Some guys never grow out of being juvenile dickbags.

Pete Carroll
Jun 28, 2014

Z3n posted:

If it's an e model engine, it doesnt have a neutral switch, so youre going to have to bypass that.

Also jesus christ nsap either post better or shut the gently caress up, you're turning into n8r.

I checked around the other day and I can't figure out how in the hell I'm supposed to do that. You have any tips or a link to where I can find more info? I'm pretty inexperienced with electronics and I don't have any fancy equipment like multimeters and what not.

Pete Carroll
Jun 28, 2014

Pete Carroll posted:

I checked around the other day and I can't figure out how in the hell I'm supposed to do that. You have any tips or a link to where I can find more info? I'm pretty inexperienced with electronics and I don't have any fancy equipment like multimeters and what not.

Look at this retard who tried starting a bike in first gear with the kickstand down and then didn't realize his mistake till 2 days later. LOOK AT HIM! He's dumb and poo poo.

Bike started just fine now. I'm going to put the plastics back on and take it for a test ride. The battery needs replacing but other than that everything is golden. Thanks to all of you who helped me out during my first foray into motorcycle repair. Big props to ZthreeN and Slavvy, though plenty of other people have taught me a ton as well. I'm finally going to be mobile again! :unsmith:

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL

Pete Carroll posted:

Look at this retard who tried starting a bike in first gear with the kickstand down and then didn't realize his mistake till 2 days later. LOOK AT HIM! He's dumb and poo poo.

Bike started just fine now. I'm going to put the plastics back on and take it for a test ride. The battery needs replacing but other than that everything is golden. Thanks to all of you who helped me out during my first foray into motorcycle repair. Big props to ZthreeN and Slavvy, though plenty of other people have taught me a ton as well. I'm finally going to be mobile again! :unsmith:

:krad: gently caress yeah, like a phoenix reborn

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
Don't forget Razzled!

I was actually going to mention that, as well as checking your kill switch, but I forgot in the shitfit.

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007
Just got bike ('92 XLR 250) back from the mechanic about 2 weeks ago, but it's still acting kinda squirrely.

It's pretty much fine at low and high RPM, but stutters and burbles a fair bit at mid RPMs (around 50% throttle), and when starting from a stop. Not so bad when first turned on, gets more pronounced after 2-3 minutes of riding. Any ideas?

Hoping the typhoon tomorrow doesn't wreck its poo poo :ohdear: Gonna ratchet strap it to a concrete pillar and hope for the best.

MrKatharsis
Nov 29, 2003

feel the bern
Can anyone recommend a quality tire pressure gauge that works easily with motorcycle tires? I don't trust the cheapo pen ones.

Pete Carroll
Jun 28, 2014

nsaP posted:

Don't forget Razzled!

I was actually going to mention that, as well as checking your kill switch, but I forgot in the shitfit.

Razzled didn't mention putting up my kickstand, so he doesn't get poo poo. :colbert:

Thanks Razzled. I'm going to run straight into a mailbox as a tribute.

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL

Pete Carroll posted:

Razzled didn't mention putting up my kickstand, so he doesn't get poo poo. :colbert:

1 trick your mailman hates!!

MonkeyNutZ
Dec 26, 2008

"A cave isn't gonna cut it, we're going to have to use Beebo"

MrKatharsis posted:

Can anyone recommend a quality tire pressure gauge that works easily with motorcycle tires? I don't trust the cheapo pen ones.
I've been using this for a few years now. It clips onto the valve, you can fill through it and there's a pressure relief button to fine tune things.

tjones
May 13, 2005
90 degree valve stems should be the first thing you buy before you buy your first set of replacement tires.

Doesn't really help you now, but you'll never go back to regular valve stems once you've installed a pair.

Oglogoth
May 16, 2010

Daaaaarling~

Pete Carroll posted:

Was on a trip to Philly and at one of our rest stops I tried to take off and my bike kept stalling under throttle. My first thought was I ran out of gas or that there was something wrong with my petcock or carb. It took a good 2 minutes of fiddling with my petcock, throttle and choke before I realized my kickstand was down. :doh:

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Pete Carroll posted:

:hellyeah: Good poo poo man! You will now be the most anal person you know when it comes to checking your oil :)

tjones posted:

90 degree valve stems should be the first thing you buy before you buy your first set of replacement tires.

Doesn't really help you now, but you'll never go back to regular valve stems once you've installed a pair.

Christ yes, this is the first bike I've owned to have them and now I sneer at the peasants trying to fumble the line around their brakes and poo poo.

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

Pompous Rhombus posted:

Just got bike ('92 XLR 250) back from the mechanic about 2 weeks ago, but it's still acting kinda squirrely.

It's pretty much fine at low and high RPM, but stutters and burbles a fair bit at mid RPMs (around 50% throttle), and when starting from a stop. Not so bad when first turned on, gets more pronounced after 2-3 minutes of riding. Any ideas?

Hoping the typhoon tomorrow doesn't wreck its poo poo :ohdear: Gonna ratchet strap it to a concrete pillar and hope for the best.

Think I might have (potentially) found my problem: I'm too dumb to get the sparkplug out to check that (also don't want to pull the gas tank while at work), so decided to get the low hanging fruit and check the airbox. Filter is still relatively clean (replaced it several months ago) and has the lubricating stuff in it, but I also noticed a little bit of water along the bottom edge of the airbox. Taking the filter out and prodding it, bottom seemed more moist (water?) than the top (still a bit sticky from the lubricating stuff I soaked the filter in before installing it). Checked behind the side over on the other side and it looks like a seal along the top is starting to rot away. My bike is parked in a non-covered area, so it gets rained on frequently (actually just wrapping up rainy season now-ish).

My guess is that a little bit of water has been able to enter the airbox, it collects in the bottom, and some of it is absorbed into the filter, restricting airflow. From internet reading, very possible this has caused the sparkplug to become fouled too (will check that when I can figure out how to get it out, or have access to someone who can lend me a hand). Does this make sense?

edit: nope! took it to friend, he thought air filter was a little dirty and wouldn't hurt to clean, but shouldn't be problem. Said fuel filter might be it.

Took it to the mechanic closest to me (who kinda overcharged me on a rear tyre change last year, haven't been back to him since, but is the only bet locally), who poked around and tried a few quick fixes. Pulled the sparkplug out and it was pretty black. Poked around some more, couldn't figure it out, said I'd probably need to get the carb rebuilt, like I'd feared. So I left the bike with him. Doubt that will cost less than $300, and I was only expecting to get $700 for the bike (if nothing else terrible happened to it) when I sell it next month, and I just got the loving thing back from a pre-trip overhaul that cost me $300 and was supposed to last me the rest of my time with the bike :suicide:

Leaving for my trip in 2 weeks and leaving the country a month after that, so I have little choice but to throw good money after bad at this point.

My loving Minsk let me down less. I don't know if this is my fault, my other mechanic's, or just bad luck... just really pissed off at the universe right now.

At least my engine didn't blow up (yet) :unsmith:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Pompous Rhombus fucked around with this message at 11:38 on Jul 8, 2014

Just Horizontal
Jul 11, 2011

Pete Carroll posted:

Ahem

Just Horizontal posted:

edit: If the bike's not in neutral, it may not start either. Getting the neutral light on should probably be your first priority (especially if the sidestand is down - it definitely won't start then)

:clint:

Seriously though, we've all been there at some point when bikes were new to us. So caught up in thinking about 'big' problems, we forget the stupid poo poo we haven't checked yet.

red19fire
May 26, 2010

To continue the gs750e saga: I tried again today, I cannot crack this nut. I let it warm up on choke at about 3k for a minute or two. Now, it will start sans choke but do the same thing, run up to 5k and then gradually stall out. I also got whitish smoke when I did this, as opposed to zero smoke on choke. I adjusted the throttle idle, and got it to drop down to around 2k, it just cannot get below 2k without stalling, and always needs a tiny bit of throttle.

But I also found out that it will rev slightly if I spray cleaner on the carb boots so there has to be a leak there. And it runs way better with the petcock set to prime, so maybe the floats are set too low.

Luckily, I found a guy that wants to trade for a cb360, so I'll be on bshbv soon enough :v:

Bugdrvr
Mar 7, 2003

I would replace the boot o-rings, go through the carbs one more time to make sure nothing is goofy and try again. If it idles good sync them up and off you go for infinity miles (it is an aircooled Suzuki after all). It will never run worth a poo poo if there are air leaks so you've pretty much got your answer with the RPMs going up when you spray cleaner on them.
I do lots of carbs and have rarely gotten away with having them off one time and being good. Usually it takes two or three times to get the jetting and needles set right, play with float height or whatever. The carbs on the GS are a bitch to get out but once they are dialed in you are probably good forever. I haven't had mine off in about 45,000 miles.

I've had several CB twins and fours over the years so am pretty familiar with them. They are ok bikes but they are even older than the GS so you're not getting away from non stop tinkering. The twins are kinda slow, handle crappy and you'll probably have to split the cases to replace the stupid cam chain guides that have disintegrated on the 360.

Pete Carroll
Jun 28, 2014
Did a few more adjustments to the bike and now everything is running great. The chain needed some tightening, but otherwise the bike is running just fine.

Pete Carroll posted:

Oh yeah, I tempted fate so now I'm going to post in the crash thread.

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum
Hey Sagebrush, in bad news they appear to have discontinued the TW26 and it's no longer available in Canada (at least online). Where did you get yours?

Also, how important exactly is the aspect ratio of the tire? I've got 90 front and rear right now, would going 80 instead effect anything drastically?

If I get Kenda K784F 100/90B/19 on the front and Kenda K761 in 110/80-18 in the rear, I can go tubeless for both and not worry about running TT on a Tubeless rim. :haw:

Rime fucked around with this message at 04:48 on Jul 11, 2014

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Lucky for you, I was rebuilding the CL350 while I was still living in Canada. I ordered my tires from a place in Montreal called "Canada's Motorcycle" :geno: and the prices weren't so bad considering the usual :canada: markup.

They don't appear to have the TW26 any more, no. But you can probably find something pretty similar: http://www.canadasmotorcycle.ca/catalogsearch/result/?q=trail+wing

Also, I bought a bunch of the parts that I needed from Sirius Consolidated -- they're in Kitchener and sell all kinds of parts for old Hondas. They actually have a number of tire packages for sale that will fit old bikes with big skinny wheels, including the faux-retro ones if hipness is more important to you than grip. I would probably avoid the ones that have no brand name, as those are gonna be generic cheap Chinese things built for the zillions of knockoff UJMs (Suzniks, Hanras, etc) you can find there. Then again maybe it doesn't matter for something that doesn't ever see freeway speeds.

http://www.siriusconinc.com/product-tires-32.htm

I don't know of any motorcycle suppliers on the Canadian west coast -- I was living in the east.

Sagebrush fucked around with this message at 05:22 on Jul 11, 2014

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

http://www.petes-superbike.com/index.php

is the place to get tires in Canada

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum
I tend to push it around 130km/h on the straight stretches where RCMP are unlikely to be hiding, but not for long periods since it rattles like an earthquake and it feels like death is my two-up after about 30 minutes. :stare:

I put an order in for the Kenda's from Canada's Motorcycle, the Sirius site didn't have anything in the kind of tread I was looking for alas. Although they have plenty of Spitfires, which I am currently running and enjoy quite a lot! So thanks and I will keep this place bookmarked!

The west coast is bizarrely barren of online retailers for anything, gear or parts. I've got a good thing going with the local Honda dealership for OEM parts, but everyone else in town is either a pack of vipers or doesn't bother stocking anything at retail, and the only motorcycle shop in Vancouver itself (Modern Motorcycling) is run by such a complete and utter shithead that if competition ever opened up close by he'd be out of business overnight. It's sad, since his son is quite helpful and clearly tries to make up for Murray's legendary shitheadedness. :v:

Rime fucked around with this message at 05:47 on Jul 11, 2014

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
My bike really likes to want to try and tuck the front on low speed, high lean angle corners - ie 180* hairpins. It was happening at the track last week in one specific corner so I gave the thing more throttle to keep the weight off the front whenever it started feeling numb and made sure to keep all of my weight off the bars (holding eggs) but it still let go a few times - I saved it each time but wtf. I didn't really think anything of it until I was out riding a local spot yesterday and I lost the front in an uphill 180* corner so obviously now it's a problem. It's not happening under brakes - always neutral throttle. Time to pitch the front tire? It's got three trackdays on it but I never had an issue before...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
What are your tire pressures?