Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Yaos
Feb 22, 2003

She is a cat of significant gravy.

Docjowles posted:

I'd strongly recommend reading Time Management for System Administrators. It's short, you can knock it out over a weekend but it's packed with some really good strategies for handling "I'm coming into a new environment, everything is hosed, and I have minimal help".

Perhaps also The Practice of System and Network Administration although it's getting a bit dated. It goes through some general best practice ideas, some of which you're clearly already aware of. Like the importance of setting up ticketing and system imaging systems rather than doing all that poo poo manually.

Both are more process/advice books than technical, and written by the same guy, Tom Limoncelli of EverythingSysadmin.com.
Thanks for the information, I'll be reading these books when they come in. My new job starts on Monday and it's going to be a hell of a ride.

Canemacar posted:

Any IT-specific resources out there than can help people break into the field? I'm in the Nashville area and looking for something entry-level like help desk.
Good news! The job I'm leaving is a help desk position for Williamson County Government in Franklin, TN. We're about 17 miles south of Nashville. My current boss is working on the job description as type. It will show up here: http://williamsoncounty-tn.gov/jobs.aspx . It will be an entry level position so your A+ will help you out. The work environment is great and we do not hire through agencies. If you would like to know more you can PM me or email me at yaosio@gmail.com.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CloFan
Nov 6, 2004

CloFan posted:

I was offered a job today. Starts 25k (80% raise to $55k)higher than I'm making now, insurance benefits are better/cheaper, PTO and retirement plans are larger. Certifications are paid for as well as any schooling I may want or need.

It's for a telephone co-op that also offers dsl, broadband, and tv. The gig is head of internal IT, but there isn't really an IT team so it would be me doing everything from desktop support to network infrastructure management. I haven't had a look at their facilities yet, but the company is successful and has been around a long time so it can't be too bad. In the past, they've contracted out IT work and I guess they're tired of doing that.

It was a surprise because I wasn't looking for a job since I just landed this one in April. Apparently the owner of the company is good friends with the CEO of the bank I used to work for, and he had nothing but great things to say about me- enough that the owner outright offered within 15 minutes of meeting me.

I'm really happy where I'm at now, but this is one of those opportunities that I'm not sure I can pass up. I don't know enough about the job yet, but I know I've got a hard decision ahead of me.

I'm going to find out more about this job today. I definitely don't know enough right now to say yes or no, but hopefully I'll learn more today. I'm meeting with the manager to see the current infrastructure/facilities and learn as much as I can to help me make this decision.

What are some good questions to ask? I plan to ask about the IT budget, what my day-to-day would look like, what my responsibilities would be and what they would NOT be. Anything I'm not thinking about?

CloFan fucked around with this message at 17:31 on Jul 8, 2014

May 14, 2003

BIRTHDAY BIRTHDAY BIRTHDAY BIRTHDAY BIRTHDAY BIRTHDAY FRUITCAKE!

CloFan posted:

I'm going to find out more about this job today. I definitely don't know enough right now to say yes or no, but hopefully I'll learn more today. I'm meeting with the manager to see the current infrastructure/facilities and learn as much as I can to help me make this decision.

What are some good questions to ask? I plan to ask about the IT budget, what my day-to-day would look like, what my responsibilities would be and what they would NOT be. Anything I'm not thinking about?

Learn more about the rest of the team and maybe what sorts of systems/equipment you'll be working with.

Japanese Dating Sim
Nov 12, 2003

hehe
Lipstick Apathy

CloFan posted:

Given that I think I remember you liking the environment of your current job, a question or two about work-life balance would probably be a good idea (if you don't already know)? Cause it sounds like that might be a concern, given that it'll be something of a one man show for a bit.

Dark Helmut
Jul 24, 2004

All growns up

CloFan posted:

People hire people they could be friends with and people love talking about themselves and their job, so at least for a small part of the interview ask him questions like "What do you like about working here?"

Be careful with the work/life balance questions not to phrase them too much like "what can you do for me"?

"Tell me about the environment/work day/etc" should get you most of the answers you need.

Indecision1991
Sep 13, 2012
So I have brushed up my resume and am starting to apply for Jr. DBA positions. Anyone have any idea for what salary range to ask for? I am currently living in Southern California but am very open to relocating. I was thinking anywhere between 60-70k a year but wasn't sure if that may be too aggressive or too low.

Baconroll
Feb 6, 2009
A surprising number of DBAs have almost no IT skills outside their DBA box - I speak with hundreds of DBAs every year from one-man-bands to serious enterprises and routinely find DBAs who have minimal knowledge of basic OS commands (e.g. how to set an environment variable), or simple OS logs (messages file on Linux or Windows Event Viewer). I think its worth ensuring you have some entry level system admin skills to go with the DBA knowledge as it could make you a lot more attractive candidate.

Glass of Milk
Dec 22, 2004
to forgive is divine
Went to meet the recruiter who contacted me. First thing he says, "Mark, right?" Mark is not my name. We spend 15 minutes talking about the position he's gonna submit me for and then says "We're pretty late in the process but hopefully something will happen." Ok, so strike two. Then he asks me to tell him if I get an offer from another prospective employer. I'm pretty sure I'm not going to do that, pal.

At another position I applied for a couple days ago, I get an email stating that they decided not to create that position in town after all, but thanks for wasting your time putting in all of your info. Bravo, company, bravo.

Comradephate
Feb 28, 2009

College Slice

Baconroll posted:

A surprising number of DBAs have almost no IT skills outside their DBA box - I speak with hundreds of DBAs every year from one-man-bands to serious enterprises and routinely find DBAs who have minimal knowledge of basic OS commands (e.g. how to set an environment variable), or simple OS logs (messages file on Linux or Windows Event Viewer). I think its worth ensuring you have some entry level system admin skills to go with the DBA knowledge as it could make you a lot more attractive candidate.

Databases are a very deep, dark hole to descend into. It requires an enormous amount of specialization, especially when you're talking Oracle EE. If you're going to be a great DBA you don't really have time or the need for being a jack of all trades - people specialize because it's more efficient and more profitable.

Also, anecdotally, DBAs are really weird, so that may contribute to their lack of tangential knowledge.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Glass of Milk posted:

Went to meet the recruiter who contacted me. First thing he says, "Mark, right?" Mark is not my name. We spend 15 minutes talking about the position he's gonna submit me for and then says "We're pretty late in the process but hopefully something will happen." Ok, so strike two. Then he asks me to tell him if I get an offer from another prospective employer. I'm pretty sure I'm not going to do that, pal.

I had one guy call me half an hour before the phone interview was supposed to start with what I assumed would be a pep talk and some trivia to make me sound good and instead was pretty much "your experience is thin, try to have some canned responses."

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Glass of Milk posted:

At another position I applied for a couple days ago, I get an email stating that they decided not to create that position in town after all, but thanks for wasting your time putting in all of your info. Bravo, company, bravo.

One of my favorite experiences was applying for a job and then hearing absolutely nothing for a good 6 months. It was long enough that I completely forgot that I had even applied. Then out of the blue someone from their HR calls me and is all excited to set up an interview, thinks I am a great candidate.

He calls back again the next day. They've instituted a hiring freeze and can't interview anyone for the position.

:wtc:

Canemacar
Mar 8, 2008

Fiendish Dr. Wu posted:

Sup fellow Nashgoon

This thread is just fine.

Have you looked through indeed.com, monster.com, dice.com, etc? I know there are plenty of help desk positions around here. I came here not knowing anybody so don't worry about that part. Have you put together a resume? Does it contain any and all trouble shooting / technical stuff / communication skills from your job?

Glad there's more than one of us in the city.

I just started branching into Monster, but it wouldn't hurt to try the smaller sites too.

I have made up a resume, but it's mostly a summary of previous work experience. I think I definitely need to do some editing since most of it isn't relevant to the position I'm seeking. I did some customer interaction as a courier, so I'd keep that, but my time as a dock worker I'll probably drop in favor of mentioning how I've helped friends build computers from scratch and played around with modding a couple games.

I'm on the fence about keeping the part where I loaded and unloaded aircraft since it required thorough background checks and I was responsible for very expensive and sensitive equipment.

Yaos posted:

Good news! The job I'm leaving is a help desk position for Williamson County Government in Franklin, TN. We're about 17 miles south of Nashville. My current boss is working on the job description as type. It will show up here: http://williamsoncounty-tn.gov/jobs.aspx . It will be an entry level position so your A+ will help you out. The work environment is great and we do not hire through agencies. If you would like to know more you can PM me or email me at yaosio@gmail.com.

Bookmarked the page, and e-mail has been sent.

Japanese Dating Sim
Nov 12, 2003

hehe
Lipstick Apathy
Not via a recruiter, but my favorite phone interview story happened when I was trying to get a job to start out in IT about a year ago. I submitted my resume to a few local MSPs and one of them called emailed me back about setting up a phone interview. Great! I schedule it to be during my lunch and took an hour of vacation so I'd have a wide-open two hour window to talk to them and still be able to eat (I was being paranoid and was new to phone interviews in general).

Long story short, she called about 45 minutes late, which was too late for us to talk (I'd eaten beforehand), and she apologized and asked if we could reschedule. I say sure, no problem. We reschedule for two days later.

I should specify that my email was titled something to the effect of "A+/Network+ certified, seeking tier 1 support position." I included a cover letter which covered my experience and what I felt I'd be capable of - tier one stuff - pretty clearly.

She called on time the next time, and asked me to talk about my experience a little. When I was done, she says "Well, we're looking to hire to fill a network administrator position, and unfortunately I'm not sure if you have the experience for that yet." She condescendingly mentioned the possibility of an internship - I was working full-time in a job I liked okay and told her no thank you - and she ended with "Well, you got an IT firm to talk to you, so you should count that as a plus!" I said "yeah, thanks" in about the driest tone I could do, as opposed to just hanging up on her.

... and then when I did get a job, my new employer fired their current MSP and hired the same MSP I had "interviewed" with. :smith:

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
I had a phone interview once with a temp agency and they asked me if I had a degree. When I mentioned that I did they asked in what discipline. I said "History" and they said "What's that good for? Answering Jeopardy questions?"

Fuckers.

But it is good for answering Jeopardy questions. :argh:

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go
I have a history degree, too.

What's worse is they probably think they were being charming and endearing. Yeah no actually it means I can synthesize information from disparate sources, and communicate better than the rest of the people you're going to speak to today. But yeah no, if I'd majored in biology I'd be suuuuch a better sys admin.

My recruiter story: I've met with Robert Half.

Oh, I did once go to an interview for a like a senior Active Directory engineer which was going to be solely focused on Active Directory and GPO, only to find out after the interview, literally as he walked me out, that I was never interviewing for that position, rather a more generalized but more junior, sys admin position. That strikes me as one of the cardinal sins, you're not even interviewing for the job you think you are.

MC Fruit Stripe fucked around with this message at 22:33 on Jul 8, 2014

bad boys for life
Jun 6, 2003

by sebmojo

Umbreon posted:

As a single dude making 28k a year in a NOC, what's the minimum kind of salary would be worth moving to another state for? I've never actually know the costs and requirements to actually move out of state for a job. :smith:

40-45k in tampa, florida, so youre really underpaid. No state income tax here either.

Comradephate
Feb 28, 2009

College Slice

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

Oh, I did once go to an interview for a like a senior Active Directory engineer which was going to be solely focused on Active Directory and GPO, only to find out after the interview, literally as he walked me out, that I was never interviewing for that position, rather a more generalized but more junior, sys admin position. That strikes me as one of the cardinal sins, you're not even interviewing for the job you think you are.

I was interviewing for systems/sales engineer gig where they wanted me to log in to the environment for prospective customers and determine what technology they were using and write up a plan for us to automate it for them. After the interview, they ended up hiring somebody because of skills completely unrelated to this, and then told me that I "interviewed the best out of everybody", so the subtext was basically that I was the best candidate for the job that I was interviewing for, but not the best candidate for the job they decided to actually hire for. Cool.

Roargasm
Oct 21, 2010

Hate to sound sleazy
But tease me
I don't want it if it's that easy
Anyone in IT get an MBA? I'd really like to get one within the next few years - currently working as a systems analyst but as I start to take on tech director responsibilities I realize that I wouldn't mind being a CIO in another life or maybe build something of my own :) Is there a clear career track to financial management in IT? Do schools like an IT background? Anyone do it and totally switch fields?

mayodreams
Jul 4, 2003

Hello darkness,
my old friend

Roargasm posted:

Anyone in IT get an MBA? I'd really like to get one within the next few years - currently working as a systems analyst but as I start to take on tech director responsibilities I realize that I wouldn't mind being a CIO in another life or maybe build something of my own :) Is there a clear career track to financial management in IT? Do schools like an IT background? Anyone do it and totally switch fields?

I did an alternative MBA type of program in communication, and I really feel like it has complemented my engineering background. I am not far enough along in my career for leadership, but the a graduate degree in some type of management is never a bad thing. However, I feel that everyone is getting MBA degrees now, and I decided to do something a bit different.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

My recruiter story: I've met with Robert Half… you're not even interviewing for the job you think you are.

That sums those idiots up quite nicely. They got me on a phone interview and mislead me about the nature of the job and the interviewer about my skills and interests. I did not appreciate being yelled at for wasting the dudes time.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

Comradephate posted:

Databases are a very deep, dark hole to descend into. It requires an enormous amount of specialization, especially when you're talking Oracle EE. If you're going to be a great DBA you don't really have time or the need for being a jack of all trades - people specialize because it's more efficient and more profitable.

Also, anecdotally, DBAs are really weird, so that may contribute to their lack of tangential knowledge.

I know IBM software devs that didn't know the difference between megabits and megabytes but when you specialize other technologies just don't matter. You're probably busy as-is and if you need help with something it's better just to pass it off to another team.

It's weird that smart people have "knowledge-holes" but don't be that guy who makes a fuss whenever someone isn't aware of a basic concept/feature/etc.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Has anyone here ever been in a near-100% travel job? If you're the type who doesn't seem to mind the idea of moving around the country all the time, how bad/stressful is it?

Umbreon
May 21, 2011

bad boys for life posted:

40-45k in tampa, florida, so youre really underpaid. No state income tax here either.

Well poo poo. My Uncle lives in Florida and works at Verizon, and that didn't even cross my mind until you mentioned Tampa. I may have to give him a call soon!

orange sky
May 7, 2007

Tab8715 posted:

I know IBM software devs that didn't know the difference between megabits and megabytes

Imho that's just inexcusable, what the gently caress. That's not a knowledge gap, that's being generally ignorant about their area of work.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Docjowles posted:

One of my favorite experiences was applying for a job and then hearing absolutely nothing for a good 6 months. It was long enough that I completely forgot that I had even applied. Then out of the blue someone from their HR calls me and is all excited to set up an interview, thinks I am a great candidate.

He calls back again the next day. They've instituted a hiring freeze and can't interview anyone for the position.

Last summer when I first started job searching I interviewed for a Desktop Support position at a place, the interview went for the better part of an hour and everybody seemed happy.

I am yet to hear back from them.

What makes it even more bizarre is that one of the interviewers was the IT Director of the company, who my father spoke to on a very regular basis prior to the interview, and hasn't been able to get in touch with at all since.

Comradephate
Feb 28, 2009

College Slice

Docjowles posted:

I've known of people at my last job who would have the req for their job revoked while they were on the plane down to interview, and flights were typically booked the day before, so it's not as if a lot had changed.

HR at basically every organization is a complete joke with no concept of how unacceptable behaviour like that is.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Fag Boy Jim posted:

Has anyone here ever been in a near-100% travel job? If you're the type who doesn't seem to mind the idea of moving around the country all the time, how bad/stressful is it?

Depends, is it driving or flying? Makes a huge difference.

orange sky posted:

Imho that's just inexcusable, what the gently caress. That's not a knowledge gap, that's being generally ignorant about their area of work.

Eh, I guess that was a bad example but in my brief programming 101 classes nobody ever went over the difference.

Indecision1991
Sep 13, 2012

Baconroll posted:

I know some people like that but I have spent the last 3 years doing a lot of helpdesk/desktop support and the last 12 months doing nothing but database tuning and maintenance so I feel I know the os/hardware portions well enough to handle that. As other people have mentioned because being a DBA requires a vast amount of knowledge in one area eventually my hardware skills will fall behind but I plan on at least staying relevant by being as involved as possible in the hardware the databases are on instead of just focusing on the instance.

I am aiming for Jr. DBA positions so I will probably be doing a lot more of the remedial monitoring and tuning that Sr. DBA's don't have time to deal with. So that means a lot of log reviewing and making sure everything is configured as it should be. Its what I do all day now except I don't want to deal with clients anymore.

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

orange sky posted:

Honestly, it doesn't really surprise me. You really don't have to know the difference to do a lot of software development, especially with higher level languages like C#. And I'm sure there are a LOT of self-taught but otherwise uneducated programmers out there that learned exactly what they needed to make this website or app or whatever, and no more. Why do they need to know the difference? They're not computer scientists, they don't need to know all the theory, they just make poo poo with the very high level languages that are available today.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

orange sky posted:

I once had to explain to a leading bioinformaticist how much space a FASTA sequence takes up, measured in MP3s.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Indecision1991 posted:

Its what I do all day now except I don't want to deal with clients anymore.

Getting yelled at all day for someone else's mistake is just the worst. :smith:

Indecision1991
Sep 13, 2012

Tab8715 posted:

Getting yelled at all day for someone else's mistake is just the worst. :smith:

Exactly, I love the work but hate the people. After doing client facing work the last 4 years I am done with it and need to get away from that.

F4T3
Jan 4, 2012

Fag Boy Jim posted:

It's quite OK if circumstances and people cooperate with you. Just sometimes it can be a lovely day if things just do NOT cooperate. But oh well, it's one of those days that happen to us all.

As long as you get the job done in a relative amount of time and you report to your superior, you should almost feel no stress, depending on circumstances of course. Other than that you pretty much manage your whole list of tasks by yourself, you go take a piss or eat whenever you want and well ... You meet interesting people and a lot of idiots during the day.

The better part is if your company provides the car and the financials to cover fuel. The only thing on your mind is delivering quality support and getting it done right. So if you're good at what you do, you can be confident that you won't feel any stress... but like I said it depends on circumstances.

If you're dealing with a company that has a fixed amount of jobs you need to complete a day or they lack personnel then that's the last place you wanna be working for.

deedee megadoodoo
Sep 28, 2000
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I, I took the one to Flavortown, and that has made all the difference.

Misogynist posted:

I once had to explain to a leading bioinformaticist how much space a FASTA sequence takes up, measured in MP3s.

How many MegaMP3s was it?

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

HatfulOfHollow posted:

How many MegaMP3s was it?
Their dataset was 200,000 songs from the iTunes Store.

(Yes, anal-retentives, I know those are not MP3s.)

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

History degree tech crew represent. It's never actually been a problem; I imagine if it were going to be an issue, it would only be in my first job, and I was fortunate enough to graduate in the 1999 tech boom :getin:

Daylen Drazzi
Mar 10, 2007

Why do I root for Notre Dame? Because I like pain, and disappointment, and anguish. Notre Dame Football has destroyed more dreams than the Irish Potato Famine, and that is the kind of suffering I can get behind.

feedmegin posted:

History degree tech crew represent. It's never actually been a problem; I imagine if it were going to be an issue, it would only be in my first job, and I was fortunate enough to graduate in the 1999 tech boom :getin:

Social Studies (Political Science and History) with additional concentration in Sociology and Psychology. I actually tried to make my degree work for a couple years, then I realized that I didn't have as much of an urge to strangle the user of a computer as I did the parents of a student. Got offered a helpdesk job in 2006 after a few years driving a truck for a lumber company and the rest is history.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

What's worse is they probably think they were being charming and endearing. Yeah no actually it means I can synthesize information from disparate sources, and communicate better than the rest of the people you're going to speak to today. But yeah no, if I'd majored in biology I'd be suuuuch a better sys admin.

My recruiter story: I've met with Robert Half.

Hey, I will have you know that the programming courses someone took a decade ago are more important than the overall college education. I would guess that a history major can't understand that.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

feedmegin posted:

I always get a little sad when people ask me "So with a History degree, why are you in IT?" Asking somebody why they aren't doing what they really want to be doing is mean :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Inspector_666 posted:

I always get a little sad when people ask me "So with a History degree, why are you in IT?" Asking somebody why they aren't doing what they really want to be doing is mean :(

I have a combined BSc degree where the strange/stand-out half of it is completely unrelated to IT and I often get asked "well why are you working in that field?" and absolutely loving hate that question.

• Locked thread