Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

It's not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me.
I can kind of buy Bale as Moses, but Edgerton as Ramses looks ridiculous.

TheBigBudgetSequel fucked around with this message at 19:05 on Jul 8, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Edgerton as Marlon Brando as Ramses

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.

TheBigBudgetSequel posted:

I can kind of buy Bale as Moses, but Edgerton as Rameses looks ridiculous.

A bit, yeah. Hopefully he'll be a little more Yul Brynner-y in motion.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.

GonSmithe posted:

Here's posters for Ridley Scott's Exodus: Gods and Kings starring Christian Bale and Joel Edgerton as Moses and Ramses, respectively:

Quoting for the new page.

TheBigBudgetSequel posted:

I can kind of buy Bale as Moses, but Edgerton as Ramses looks ridiculous.
Here's some (huge) pictures from the movie (also featuring John Turturro as Pharoah Seti and Sigourney Weaver as Tuya):

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

I'll bet that movie is really bad.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
Joel Edgerton looks a lot better in color

The black and white with the gold in color kinda makes it look like Ramses isn't wearing any pants (or skirt, or whatever)

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Moses just looks like Christian Bale being handsome.

Doctor Bishop
Oct 22, 2013

To understand what happened at the diner, we use Mr. Papaya. This is upsetting because he is the friendliest of fruits.

GonSmithe posted:

Here's some (huge) pictures from the movie (also featuring John Turturro as Pharoah Seti and Sigourney Weaver as Tuya):

I was rather dubious when the choice for Ramses in this film was immediately shat on, because frankly, I thought he looked pretty good in that first poster. But holy poo poo, these color shots have changed my tune. This guy does not look at all right for the part.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
Those posters and screencaps make it look like complete garbage.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
Is Bales hair really appropriate for the time period? He looks like every 20ish-30ish dude you'd see walking down the street.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

MikeJF posted:

Moses just looks like Christian Bale being handsome.

He actually reminds me of Ten Commandments-era Charlton Heston minus the crazy beard and hair, and I imagine that was exactly who they had in mind when they cast Bale and made him up.

Slate Action
Feb 13, 2012

by exmarx
I already wasn't excited for Exodus, but those posters and images look like they could be from any old TV bible dramatization.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.
Oh, wow, Ramses and Moses as brothers.

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

What the hell, I'll just eat some trash.

Hahahaha holy gently caress that looks awful.

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

King Vidiot posted:

He actually reminds me of Ten Commandments-era Charlton Heston minus the crazy beard and hair, and I imagine that was exactly who they had in mind when they cast Bale and made him up.

It also reminds me of The Ten Commandments because we're still casting white people to play ancient Egyptians.

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

It's not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me.
Egypt: Full of White People - The Movie

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
Its sad because like 80% of the people in the United States wouldn't blink an eye at a minority being cast as Moses, but the 20% that do care are really loving important to the financial success of anything remotely Bible related. The studios really, really don't want to give up that core audience, no matter how racist they may be.

I mean its even sad that I have to estimate that the U.S. is 20% racist but I think that may be a conservative number.

DNS
Mar 11, 2009

by Smythe

GonSmithe posted:

Turturro is killing me in that first photo.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
They spared no expense to get the whitest drat people alive to play Egyptians. Guess Cate Blanchett and Tilda Swinton were busy.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Ramses looks like Ricky Gervais and Bill Murray spawned a child.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

:lol: at a movie trying to sell me on those 2 as Moses and Ramses. Yeah right.

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

"I think he's a bad enough person to stay ghost through his sheer love of child-killing."

Moviegoers just aren't ready for a Jewish Moses.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Glad to see Dave Batista getting work as Moses.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Tutturo looks like a modern day Egyptian so he's in the clear but the rest of that looks like dogshit.

Neowyrm
Dec 23, 2011

It's not like I pack a lunch box full of missiles when I go to work!

GonSmithe posted:

Here's posters for Ridley Scott's Exodus: Gods and Kings starring Christian Bale and Joel Edgerton as Moses and Ramses, respectively:

Why are there white people in this???

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Uh, it's historically accurate dude. The important people are white and the other people are black. Just like real life! Look:

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Neowyrm posted:

Why are there white people in this???
They're grey in the posters though and grey = Egyptian! :haw:

niethan
Nov 22, 2005

Don't be scared, homie!

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Tutturo looks like a modern day Egyptian so he's in the clear but the rest of that looks like dogshit.

Were the royal Egyptians of Greek heritage in Moses time?

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

niethan posted:

No, but at least he looks vaguely Mediterranean. They aren't even trying with the other cast members.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

niethan posted:

When it comes to Hollywood, at best it doesn't matter what race you are it matters what race you can convincingly play. Guess which race this Greek man tends to get roles as

Though Hollywood is rarely at its best.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

niethan posted:

No, the Ptolemy's took over in the early 300's BCE.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Nobody fucks with the Seti.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.

feedmyleg posted:

When it comes to Hollywood, at best it doesn't matter what race you are it matters what race you can convincingly play. Guess which race this Greek man tends to get roles as

To be fair though he also gets to be one of the funniest TV characters ever in Raffi from The League.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

feedmyleg posted:

If Jason Mantzoukas were playing Moses, this would be my most anticipated movie of the year.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Christian Bale is such a loving terrible casting choice. He does not belong in this at all.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

It's nice to see that the tradition of Brits playing whatever race they want as long as it's biblical is still alive and well.

Now I get to spend the rest of the hour thinking about what Jewish and what Egyptian actors would be better choices in these roles and lament the fact that no live action movie about Moses will live up to The Prince of Egypt.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Vintersorg posted:

Christian Bale is such a loving terrible casting choice. He does not belong in this at all.

He's known for fully committing to his work and undergoing drastic physical transformations for a lot of his roles. Here it looks like regular, every-day Christian Bale wandered onto the set and they decided to let him be in it.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

feedmyleg posted:

And then there's this guy from Training Day.

Cliff Curtis often plays Arabs or Latinos in Hollywood films and TV shows. He's actually Maori, which makes him Polynesian.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Yeah, Cliff Curtis is my boy. To be fair he started out in Rapa Nui and Once Were Warriors before being Pablo Escobar.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!

I feel ya, buddy.