Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

All I wanna do is make you bounce
To be absolutely fair, let me balance out the absolute idiocy a little:

1. In most (not all, but most) of his lines, the dialogue for the Doctor seems like it should be a very good fit for Capaldi.
2. Once you get past the spoon nonsense, the Robin Hood episode seems very classic Who, and not in a bad way. Maybe it's just that it seems so similar to The Time Warrior in terms of general ideas and theme.
3. The fourth episode, Listen, seems like it should be pretty chilling on screen and goes into some very unexpected territory in terms of tying bits of prior stories together, even if I think the ending is poo poo.
4. Time Heist has a pretty lovely name but seemed like a fun episode even though the crucial twist is predictable. Ocean's Eleven meets Doctor Who is too good an idea not to have happened before.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Looke
Aug 2, 2013

with the 4th episode listen I was hoping for more focus on the monster and how they stop it rather than summarizing the episode as young doctor and how fear is important etc, etc.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

I really want to see these scripts filmed as fan episodes.

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

All I wanna do is make you bounce

moths posted:

I really want to see these scripts filmed as fan episodes.

Wait a month or so.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Sydney Bottocks posted:

Exactly this. I forget the exact saying, but there's an old Hollywood saying that goes something like "Many a bad movie has been made from a good script, but there's never been a good movie made from a bad script."

I believe the adage is "if it ain't on the page, it ain't on the stage."

That being said, after reading the first few, I really have no problem with them. People are bitching about the Doctor battling Robin Hood with a spoon after they fawned over Tennant making a big dramatic speech and trying to make his Zygon detector go "ding" at a rabbit.

Sleep of Bronze
Feb 9, 2013

If I could only somewhere find Aias, master of the warcry, then we could go forth and again ignite our battle-lust, even in the face of the gods themselves.

Timby posted:

People are bitching about the Doctor battling Robin Hood with a spoon after they fawned over Tennant making a big dramatic speech and trying to make his Zygon detector go "ding" at a rabbit.

I call them both just as bad. :shrug:

Actually, I saw the Tennant scene properly. I have to reserve some judgement on the Capaldi one until it's on telly. So the rabbit is temporarily worse.

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

Timby posted:

People are bitching about the Doctor battling Robin Hood with a spoon after they fawned over Tennant making a big dramatic speech and trying to make his Zygon detector go "ding" at a rabbit.

It's possible that there are two discrete groups of people.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I've had a cursory glance through them. They generally seem pretty Moffaty, but while there's some bits of Moffat's writing and showrunning I've not been terribly fond of it's not like I object to it principle. I think when they come out on TV there'll be enough to them for me to have an enjoyable 45 minutes on a Saturday evening.

At the very least, they look better than my two least favourites, which is at least (usually) good enough for me (most of the time).

One thing that stuck out to me, though, is that they seem awfully long in terms of pages. I thought the general rule of thumb was that TV scripts are usually a page for every minute of screentime. Maybe I'm being needlessly pedantic; I couldn't write an episode of anything, much less an episode of Doctor Who.

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

Metal Loaf posted:

One thing that stuck out to me, though, is that they seem awfully long in terms of pages. I thought the general rule of thumb was that TV scripts are usually a page for every minute of screentime. Maybe I'm being needlessly pedantic; I couldn't write an episode of anything, much less an episode of Doctor Who.

That's one of the things I particularly dislike about Moffat's Who, actually; how quickly everything gets rattled through so ideas never get any time to breathe. Everything feels so muddled and incoherent because there's so much crammed in.

A page a minute is considered about right, how long are these scripts?

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
Listen is definitely the best of the first four, but the monster is never truly revealed or even expanded on, and the ending relies too much on sentimental VoiceOver bullshit. It's a solid C though. Only the premier and Robin Hood have been an absolute chore for me to get through.

Republican Vampire
Jun 2, 2007

nuzak posted:

What do people mean when they say it sounds like fanfiction? like, random humour and thin characters?

There's more to it than that. There's a certain sense that it's very impressed with itself, and there's a lot of gratuitous continuity. Just look at the premise of the first episode. It's based on the premise of a previous episode only it's cooler an' bigger, an' sexier and shoe-horned in and and and it's got space lesbians!

To an extent it seems like that might be deliberate, since it seems that the Missy character is a kind of analogue for a certain kind of fan, the same way that Moffat and Gatiss referenced and made fun of Sherlock fans in series three. Since she's being set up as the one orchestrating everything... I dunno. It could be cool, but it'll probably be dumb, like the aforementioned series of Sherlock.

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Listen is definitely the best of the first four, but the monster is never truly revealed or even expanded on, and the ending relies too much on sentimental VoiceOver bullshit. It's a solid C though. Only the premier and Robin Hood have been an absolute chore for me to get through.

I thought the point of listen was that there actually was no monster, just Clara paradox-traumatizing the wee baby Doctor.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
If that's true, it only really explains the Doctor's nightmare. What about the scene in the cold open or the scene in the children's home?

FWIW, I really hope they stick to the scripts description of the new console room; a second story lined with bookshelves and chalkboards full of equations and mad scribblings.

Republican Vampire
Jun 2, 2007

The filenames say these are post-production scripts, so they probably will.

As for the cold open, and the scene in the children's home? I think they're red herrings. When Clara shows up, the Doctor brings up the idea that he himself might've written it down and forgotten, albeit only to dismiss it. When they're in children's home, again, the possibility of it being another boy playing a trick is brought up.

Everything in the story has a rational explanation. Like Clara says, it's just the Doctor rationalizing his fear of the dark.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Noxville posted:

A page a minute is considered about right, how long are these scripts?

They're about 70 pages each (the first episode is 80 minutes and it's 113).

I think they're fun to read. Not being able to write creatively myself, I find the process quite fascinating, and I like reading scripts and series bibles and whatnot. In fact I used to have a pdf of the series bible for Press Gang saved on my computer; it's still floating around the Internet. The bible for BSG in particular is something else. It goes into a lot of detail.

Paul Cornell has an interview where he shares a tidbit from the bible RTD circulated for the season one writers in 2004, and said it starts off as something like, "The Doctor is a happy, friendly alien who loves helping others," or something equally cheerful. I'd like to see it, but it's never been published as far as I'm aware. The Writer's Tale is the best we can hope for (and it's very good, don't get me wrong).

Wheat Loaf fucked around with this message at 21:53 on Jul 8, 2014

PassTheRemote
Mar 15, 2007

Number 6 holds The Village record in Duck Hunt.

The first one to kill :laugh: wins.

Metal Loaf posted:

"The Doctor is a happy, friendly alien who loves helping others," or something equally cheerful.

Spot on for the 9th Doctor.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

PriorMarcus posted:

I do feel that Smith was ultimately let down by the direction his Doctor went in. He's the best actor to play the Doctor so far

You what? I'd say he's at very best just in the top three or four. His physical comedy is very good, though.

Kevos Setzer posted:

For instance, half of Tennant's episodes! Okay, maybe not that many, but you get my point.

Agreed, more than half.

Big Mean Jerk posted:

The first and last episodes of the most recent series would prove otherwise.

I quite liked the last episode, having only watched Sherlock at all for the first time a month or two ago. The first episode of the third series - and the mocking of Sherlock fans - was absolutely disgusting. I'm not the kind of fan it was mocking but jesus how much of a jerk do you have to be to write a show to panders to an audience and then spend an episode insulting them?

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

MrL_JaKiri posted:

You what? I'd say he's at very best just in the top three or four. His physical comedy is very good, though.

Oh, he's not the BEST Doctor, I just feel that he is the best actor. Which, conversely means he has the most potential to waste. The best Doctor is clearly Eight. Or Seven. Or Nine. Or... Well, you get the point.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

PriorMarcus posted:

Oh, he's not the BEST Doctor, I just feel that he is the best actor.

I know that's what you said, that's what I'm disagreeing with. He's not even the best revival actor.

PassTheRemote
Mar 15, 2007

Number 6 holds The Village record in Duck Hunt.

The first one to kill :laugh: wins.

MrL_JaKiri posted:

I know that's what you said, that's what I'm disagreeing with. He's not even the best revival actor.

It was a shame Nine only had one season.

Republican Vampire
Jun 2, 2007

Not sure who drew these, but they definitely make the leaked scripts seem more palatable

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer
Quick intro before I get into the questions:

I watched Dr. Who on PBS in the 80's, so Tom Baker is always going to be the Doctor to me. I feel like that's ok. I built my own K9 out of cardboard and put it on a remote-controlled SUV chassis, and built a sonic screwdriver out of a telescoping antenna, the nozzle from a space shuttle model, and a Christmas tree light, which lit up from the 9 volt bulb tester I could hide up my sleeve. I recorded all the episodes I watched by hanging a tape recorder mic off the power/volume knob on the tv and recorded just the audio to cassettes for when I needed a fix. Davros and the Cyberman assassin thing (the guy in the skintight suit with the Cobra Commander face who melted people) scared the poo poo out of me and I was stunned when Adric actually died and they rolled silent credits on his broken star badge (possibly out of respect for wiping out the dinosaurs by failing to solve the math in time.)
Bear in mind, I was 10-14 at the time. I also watched some of the shows with, um, was it Peter Davison with the celery stalk on his lapel? Gotta admit, when Baker fell and his face changed I pretty much wanted to never watch again. I can't imagine having followed all the Doctors from the beginning until now. It must be exhausting, although it's cool that you never know what he'll be like next. I very much like the idea of an older gent, especially if he's grumpy and short-tempered, with the occasion dash of whimsy.

O, and in the 90s I watched the American TV movie and only remember that the TARDIS set seemed pretty hip. Here ends my Dr. Who bona fides.

I have skipped in and out of New Who on BBC America. I thought the first season was awful and abandoned it right away. I came back years later to meet Tenent and Smith and thought the writing had really gone up to some great drama and characters I really cared about, but I'd missed so much it was like watching something I barely understood most of the time.

Some moments stand out to me and I want to ask about them:

I kinda barely understand who River is, but there was a line, it could have been a throwaway, where she piloted the TARDIS and it was peaceful and quiet. The Doctor was perplexed by this and asked where the grating noise went. She said he'd left the parking brake on or something like that.
Is that canon or just a joke or is it unresolved?

I thought the whole, "The girl who waited" season was awesome, full stop, no question. Felt terrible for what happened to Rory and What's Her Name (Rose?) and the bit with the "last page of the book" was pretty clever.

I've read the Wiki on the war between Gallifrey and the Daleks and I still can't parse it. This guilt the Doctor carries, whatever he did to his own race; I still don't quite grok it. It seems very heavy, though.

Badass Doctor facing down the whole of his enemies in the Panopticon bit was pretty amazing, as was that whole set of episodes. "Who's first?!" Gotta admit I bought into that and dug it.

Why is it always back to the Daleks, though? I mean the show has gone way overboard with Daleks. Davros comes back, Daleks can fly and there's all these different types and stuff. I keep thinking back to Tom Baker asking (I think it was Sarah Jane), "If you had the capability to go back in time and kill Hitler as a baby, could you do it?" Weird seeing so much Dalek craziness.

O well, I thought I had more questions but I think I just need to read Wikis. Before today I'd never heard of the Valeyard or The Beast.

If anyone would like to effort post a little for me to help me prepare for August, I don't mind spoilers I just want to feel like I get the material a bit better. It's apparently become amazingly complex.

Sorry for wasting your time.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
This is not the thread you seek.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3609910&pagenumber=91#lastpost This is the thread you seek.

Inkspot
Dec 3, 2013

I believe I have
an appointment.
Mr. Goongala?

PriorMarcus posted:

Oh, he's not the BEST Doctor, I just feel that he is the best actor. Which, conversely means he has the most potential to waste. The best Doctor is clearly Eight.

QFT. I have ridiculous loyalty to McGann for no reason whatsoever.

Republican Vampire posted:

Not sure who drew these, but they definitely make the leaked scripts seem more palatable

They look a lot like Rick and Morty fan art, but I've never seen a minute of Rick and Morty.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Inkspot posted:

We should start a club.

Republican Vampire
Jun 2, 2007

Inkspot posted:

They look a lot like Rick and Morty fan art, but I've never seen a minute of Rick and Morty.

Yeah, that's the idea. They're bits from the leaked scripts but with the Doctor drawn as Rick.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

It's honestly kind-of stupid. I think a basic caricature of the Doctor would have worked fine instead of the meme of the moment.

Inkspot
Dec 3, 2013

I believe I have
an appointment.
Mr. Goongala?
The problem is not with the Capaldi caricature. That's just not a very good Robin Hood.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway

Inkspot posted:

you should rectify this immediately.

Inkspot
Dec 3, 2013

I believe I have
an appointment.
Mr. Goongala?
It's on my list, unless you're talking about revoking my Eighth Life = Best Life membership, which will never happen.

Inkspot fucked around with this message at 06:03 on Jul 9, 2014

Republican Vampire
Jun 2, 2007

Inkspot posted:

The problem is not with the Capaldi caricature. That's just not a very good Robin Hood.

It's not Robin Hood. It's Alan-A-Dale.

Also you should watch Rick and Morty. Rick's a very interesting riff on The Doctor.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

I've seen a couple of people mention a new control room, but it's the same one as Elevens later years isn't it? Is the idea just that they are going to personalise it more with random stuff added around the place?

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
Rick isn't supposed to be The Doctor. He's clearly a hosed up Doc Brown from back to the future.

I fully support 12 as Rick fanart. Everyone should watch Rick & Morty. EVERYONE.

Big Mean Jerk fucked around with this message at 06:31 on Jul 9, 2014

Republican Vampire
Jun 2, 2007

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Rick isn't supposed to be The Doctor. He's clearly a hosed up Doc Brown from back to the future.

I fully support 12 as Rick fanart. Everyone should watch Rick & Morty. EVERYONE.

Actually, Dan Harmon mentioned Doctor Who as an influence on the show, along with Hitchhiker's Guide. Those two influences are probably a big part of what took the show from the Channel 101 Doc and Marty shorts to the dimension hopping hosed up brilliance it is today. Otherwise it'd just be all ball sucking and commercial parodies.

The theme was apparently based in part on Who's theme as well, hence all the Wooo-oo-ooo-ooo-ooo sounds. I'm too lazy to dig it up, but there's an interview where Harmon likens Rick's alcoholism to how the Doctor would deal with regular, boring-rear end life.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

mind the walrus posted:

It's honestly kind-of stupid. I think a basic caricature of the Doctor would have worked fine instead of the meme of the moment.

It's not a meme, or the 'meme of the moment', or anything like that. What in the world are you talking about?

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

Senor Tron posted:

I've seen a couple of people mention a new control room, but it's the same one as Elevens later years isn't it? Is the idea just that they are going to personalise it more with random stuff added around the place?

I'm not sure. In the scripts action it reads like a redressing of the old console room but in the dialogue it sounds like Clara is reacting to a completely new space. Also, the idea of the old console room with blackboards and poo poo around it sounds cramped and horrid.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

I actually really enjoyed the premiere episode script, and 20 pages in I'm enjoying Into the Dalek as well. Though, I usually enjoy Moffat as show runner (I think the second half of series 7 was weak, but ended on a high note). So far they seem to be giving Clara an actual character, and in Danny Pink a love interest that, based on what very little I've read, sounds mildly interesting.

Super early impressions so far, but I'm really looking forward to seeing what I've read so far in live action.

I do like whimsy in my Doctor, though. So, you know, grain of salt and all if you don't.

thrawn527 fucked around with this message at 14:23 on Jul 9, 2014

Stairs
Oct 13, 2004
I... Actually rather enjoyed that.
Look, we're the old guard guys. Our Doctor Who has evolved into something we may not always enjoy, but it's still our Who in many ways. Remember that any Who is always better than no Who (which some of us, myself included, remember as being a terrible sad time.)

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.

thrawn527 posted:

I actually really enjoyed the premiere episode script, and 20 pages in I'm enjoying Into the Dalek as well. Though, I usually enjoy Moffat as show runner (I think the second half of series 7 was weak, but ended on a high note). So far they seem to be giving Clara an actual character, and in Danny Pink a love interest that, based on what very little I've read, sounds mildly interesting.

Super early impressions so far, but I'm really looking forward to seeing what I've read so far in live action.

I do like whimsy in my Doctor, though. So, you know, grain of salt and all if you don't.

I'm reading through "Listen" and I'm liking it so far. Especially the Where's Wally joke.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Stairs posted:

Our Doctor Who has evolved into something we may not always enjoy, but it's still our Who in many ways. Remember that any Who is always better than no Who (which some of us, myself included, remember as being a terrible sad time.)

You have remarkable brand loyalty. If more Doctor Who is made and I don't enjoy it, what's the point for me?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Besides, Doctor Who or no Doctor Who is not the choice we are faced with. It's not 1989 any more, and Moffat is not JNT, the show would not be cancelled if he left.

• Locked thread