Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Carteret
Nov 10, 2012

oh boy!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sedisp
Jun 20, 2012

A Tartan Tory posted:

TR maxes have the worst looking feet.

Unfortunately the roominess of TR MAXes boots do not allow them to build enough heat to cause any sweat build up. Compared to the supple curves of the VS MAX and the broad soles of the NC, one can easily understand why this is my least favorite MAX. :ranemansay:

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum

A Tartan Tory posted:

Also, been there, done that.

I now have Bling NS loadouts for almost all of my VS classes. NS-11CP, NS-11P, NS-15MP, platinum Underboss or Commissioner, Tech camo. All I need is the NS helmet but uh, gently caress that, it was hard enough getting all the platinum weapons.

On NC Infiltrator I also have Shatter + Lumifiber + gold Cyclone/NS7 and gold Underboss (or Gold Mag-Shot, if they'd fix the texture).

Horizontal Tree
Jan 1, 2010

A Tartan Tory posted:

I'm just annoyed that there is literally no air game any more, if you aren't part of an organized outfit that does it, you might as well not even fly.

This. If I want to fly and not deal with massive gank balls or getting constantly jumped by multiple pilots who are as good as or outright better than me, I have to fly WITH them constantly and become part of the swarm. The people who bitch endlessly about SOE RUINING OUR AIR META because of Coyotes and Lock-ons and other changes are the same people who all faction-swapped to NC because they simply don't want to have to fight other good pilots and want to be able to swarm in safety. The "air meta" is hosed because of the Reaver and everyone good using it in groups.

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

The whole airgame is weird like that. I feel like a lot of the people that are dedicated airspergs are too anal to consider having their e-bushido besmirched by lowly peasants. I'm a recovering airsperg. It's shitlord city up there.

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum
Fortunately Emerald mostly doesn't take their poo poo and will mass-pull bursters and lock-ons if you dare become too confident. Of course no skygod has to die if he does not deign to, so they always get away. We just end up with two segregated games except for the occasional small fight a Lib or two can poo poo on. Otherwise I guess all the pilots just tool around jerking each other off?

On the other hand be grateful it isn't Connery where zergs are followed by 4-5 Liberators and nobody bothers to pull A2G or A2A.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Nakar posted:

Fortunately Emerald mostly doesn't take their poo poo and will mass-pull bursters and lock-ons if you dare become too confident. Of course no skygod has to die if he does not deign to, so they always get away. We just end up with two segregated games except for the occasional small fight a Lib or two can poo poo on. Otherwise I guess all the pilots just tool around jerking each other off?

On the other hand be grateful it isn't Connery where zergs are followed by 4-5 Liberators and nobody bothers to pull A2G or A2A.

Even if it's just me with just my 1 Phoenix I will chase skygods away.

Flak is surmountable. Decimator-level damage without damage is not, especially to ESFs :getin:

Literally the thing I miss most when I'm on K0TH is the drat Phoenix

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
I honestly don't pull bursters anymore. They don't feel like a good enough deterrent to pull a MAX for. Same with the skyguard. I'd rather just pull out a lockon or just snipe at them with my lancer.

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

I've dropped so many Reavers trying to airhammer dudes with my S1 it almost feels like playing Tribes. Bursters rule but exmags are pretty much a requirement.

kidRiot
Dec 14, 2007

"I know you've come to kill me. Shoot, coward, you're only going to kill a man."
Going to be streaming on the official PS2 twitch channel (twitch.tv/planetside) on Thursdays from 230-330 pm PST. The theme of the show is outfits and competitiveness. I don't mean esports, I just mean competitiveness in the sense of self-improvement and outfit improvement.

Curious what you guys think of the theme and what you'd like to see displayed and discussed from my end. I've led two outfits in Planetside 2, 1 outfit in Planetside 1 and was a member of NUC so I have some experience with outfits, but the point is to draw conclusions and share information that can improve the experience of the average Planetside 2 player.

My hope is, that with time, we can develop a bit more of community akin to Planetside 1 when you typically ran into similar outfits. Resource revamp, Nanites and eventually ANTs will help this, but that's for another post.

Let me know what you guys/gals think about the stream!

wei
Jul 27, 2006
I'm a mediocre pilot and the only ESFs I pull now are suicide taxi ones. There's no way new pilots are going to want to stick with it given the current state of the air meta.

On DA's IVI KDR: Feel free to ignore it, it's more an indication of MAX/vehicle usage compared to infantry. I find it helpful that there's segregation because you get a more meaningful infantry accuracy stat which isn't skewed by high shotgun accuracies or high sniper HSRs, for example. I suspect providing useful statistics is a bigger motivator than making GBS threads on HE farmers in 50SHADES's choices. You're not being 'punished' in any way if you used cheesy weapons; just look at regular KDR if it really bothers you that much.

On other servers: My KDR is about 2.5 times higher on Briggs than on Emerald and I only play infantry there. It's another anecdote but there probably is a significant difference in player skill between servers. According to Recursion I kept killing these BR100 2.0+ KDR players in 1v1 fights that weren't any better than your average 1.0 KDR player on Emerald. I'm not even a great infantry player (B+/B+ Orion) but these guys weren't even getting through my shield.

Polio Vax Scene
Apr 5, 2009

Thankfully pretty much every mlg airsperg runs fire suppression so you can just chill on a hill between their warpgate and the current farm hex with an annihilator and lock on when they start taking flak.

e: They need to give rocket launchers to engineers.

Polio Vax Scene fucked around with this message at 22:12 on Jul 8, 2014

Arghy
Nov 15, 2012

Wow did someone just say that VS AR's were ok and that the terminus is a merc+pulsar? did they change the terminus into a 167/750 with 40 rounds while i was asleep?!

Lassitude
Oct 21, 2003

Nakar posted:

PREY exemplifies the first part of that. I guess other outfits do it, but I am constantly seeing trios of PREY reavers hovering on the periphery of fights, too high up to do any real damage to with ground-to-air stuff, ganking the poo poo out of any ESF that comes by. I always thought that the game would benefit if ESFs could focus on dogfighting and didn't have to worry about AA unless they tried to shoot stuff on the ground themselves, but man, those guys just ganking the poo poo out of everything in the air with impunity must be frustrating to deal with as a mediocre pilot.

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood

Manslaughter posted:

e: They need to give rocket launchers to engineers.

I heard PTS is getting something like this, it's a mashup of the Phoenix and the AP turret.

Gaghskull
Dec 25, 2010

Bearforce1

Boys! Boys! Boys!

Lassitude posted:

PREY exemplifies the first part of that. I guess other outfits do it, but I am constantly seeing trios of PREY reavers hovering on the periphery of fights, too high up to do any real damage to with ground-to-air stuff, ganking the poo poo out of any ESF that comes by. I always thought that the game would benefit if ESFs could focus on dogfighting and didn't have to worry about AA unless they tried to shoot stuff on the ground themselves, but man, those guys just ganking the poo poo out of everything in the air with impunity must be frustrating to deal with as a mediocre pilot.

Much like ground, individual skill is made much more meaningless when you have more people doing it. It doesn't how good of a pilot you are in an ESF if you are jumped by 5 enemy fighters. One tank with a skilled crew can do a lot of damage, but it sure as hell can't fight several times its number even with an expert crew. The rules apply to infantry and vehicles, people are finally figuring out that you can do the same with air. gently caress the sky gods. Meet the swarm.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Gaghskull posted:

Much like ground, individual skill is made much more meaningless when you have more people doing it. It doesn't how good of a pilot you are in an ESF if you are jumped by 5 enemy fighters. One tank with a skilled crew can do a lot of damage, but it sure as hell can't fight several times its number even with an expert crew. The rules apply to infantry and vehicles, people are finally figuring out that you can do the same with air. gently caress the sky gods. Meet the swarm.

Reaver swarms OP big blocky shape OP at blocking out the sun to hard to dumbfire in shade Higby pls nerf

v v v EXCUSE ME but as an ESF swatting connoisseur I must say that while the Scythe is certainly the most frustrating of the ESFs to hit with a Phoenix, it's by far the most SATISFYING so it balances out. Generally they are found hovering motionless over a battle, and can be Phoenixed easily even without being spotted directly as one needs only follow the SHWEE SHWEE SHWEE v v v

Epic High Five fucked around with this message at 22:32 on Jul 8, 2014

West007
Apr 21, 2013

Excuse me, Scythe is the most op ESF because of its pancake shape.

Amileo
Aug 18, 2012

Lassitude posted:

PREY exemplifies the first part of that.

Personally I haven't ran into prey idk why but I see more Mosis doing this kind of stuff. Either way a lot of Matherson focus was never really air oriented and when we do run across it we usually work to punish it pretty hard.

As a scumbag pilot with no skills but a fair amount of alpha perks I'm able to take out one other esf usually before someone rips me to pieces.

Right now my big thing is realizing holy crap a lot of my vanu guns suck compared to the NS weapons and I'm trying to figure out why that is.

I still use my pulsar c from time to time and nothing feels better the v86 or whatever the not orion lmg is.

V10 sniper is still my go too. But the Ns-11 just drops my panties like whoa.

Arghy
Nov 15, 2012

Introduce SAM's with a min lock on range but a max render lock on range, min range is 300m max range is 1000m. Want to loiter around at flight ceiling being a shitter? die to SAM's, survive by going in low and dealing with flak.

Its not like flying things are the most mobile and fastest things in the game, how will they dodge and survive in their massive 3 dimensional environment???

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum
Because NS guns have the "downside" of VS-tier DPS in exchange for a bunch of perks.

But the Pulsar C has no equal, if you can aim that thing is godly.

AuxiliaryPatroller
Jul 23, 2007

kidRiot posted:

Going to be streaming on the official PS2 twitch channel (twitch.tv/planetside) on Thursdays from 230-330 pm PST. The theme of the show is outfits and competitiveness. I don't mean esports, I just mean competitiveness in the sense of self-improvement and outfit improvement.

Curious what you guys think of the theme and what you'd like to see displayed and discussed from my end. I've led two outfits in Planetside 2, 1 outfit in Planetside 1 and was a member of NUC so I have some experience with outfits, but the point is to draw conclusions and share information that can improve the experience of the average Planetside 2 player.

My hope is, that with time, we can develop a bit more of community akin to Planetside 1 when you typically ran into similar outfits. Resource revamp, Nanites and eventually ANTs will help this, but that's for another post.

Let me know what you guys/gals think about the stream!

It would be cool if you did sort of an FNO type thing, but with a greater focus on individual and outfit skill (and skill improvement) stuff for mid-advanced players where topics could be discussed at a higher level than what Maggie et al allowed for. When you wrote articles and casted other things you made advanced stuff nice and accessible. Bring in different players or outfits and play with them, and focus in detail on the things that they do and how they try to improve, and what makes them unique. It could be an interesting mix of live gameplay (on live servers or pts or jaeger), discussion, or even reviewing footage from events.

Topics I think could be fun: squad/platoon composition for different situations, communication setup, leadership styles, how to hold/attack/defend different bases, how to be a better pilot/tanker/infantry/SL/PL, how to counter different strategies, keybinds/settings, load outs.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Amileo posted:

Personally I haven't ran into prey idk why but I see more Mosis doing this kind of stuff. Either way a lot of Matherson focus was never really air oriented and when we do run across it we usually work to punish it pretty hard.

As a scumbag pilot with no skills but a fair amount of alpha perks I'm able to take out one other esf usually before someone rips me to pieces.

Right now my big thing is realizing holy crap a lot of my vanu guns suck compared to the NS weapons and I'm trying to figure out why that is.

I still use my pulsar c from time to time and nothing feels better the v86 or whatever the not orion lmg is.

V10 sniper is still my go too. But the Ns-11 just drops my panties like whoa.

It's because NS guns are VS guns -dps and +accuracy, and dps is hugely overrated in this game

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

Lassitude posted:

The air game at this point is basically "it's a taxi, don't bother otherwise". Starting out right now has to be completely awful. You'll just get poo poo on by the uberspergs until you give up, and no amount of Coyotes or similar poo poo is going to save you. You just pull an ESF, die instantly, and don't even know why so that you might be able to survive a split-second longer next time. It's not really worth bothering with, if you ask me.

Nakar posted:

Because NS guns have the "downside" of VS-tier DPS in exchange for a bunch of perks.

But the Pulsar C has no equal, if you can aim that thing is godly.

Oddly, they also have the upside of having 5 more rounds. Protip: that, plus the other inherent traits, makes the NS-11A arguably the best AR available to VS. Think about that: an NS gun is probably the best AR a faction has access to. Yep.

Gonkish fucked around with this message at 23:13 on Jul 8, 2014

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Gonkish posted:

The air game at this point is basically "it's a taxi, don't bother otherwise". Starting out right now has to be completely awful. You'll just get poo poo on by the uberspergs until you give up, and no amount of Coyotes or similar poo poo is going to save you. You just pull an ESF, die instantly, and don't even know why so that you might be able to survive a split-second longer next time. It's not really worth bothering with, if you ask me.

Not if you're NC! Flying is generally pretty great right now. Nothing like getting jumped by some BR100 Scythe airsperg who normally would one clip you while you try to just get your goddamn thrusters to lock, only to watch him try to book it from 3 AH+AB pod Reavers that he didn't see and has no hope in the world of escaping from because they are like 70kmph faster than him when burning.

As usual, Darkelfdruid has it right:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m0dEAa0m3Ks

Gonkish posted:

Oddly, they also have the upside of having 5 more rounds. Protip: that, plus the other inherent traits, makes the NS-11A arguably the best AR available to VS. Think about that: an NS gun is probably the best AR a faction has access to. Yep.

Not to mention this gun is generally considered hot garbage by the other two factions

RiffRoff
Aug 28, 2012

Strike the earth.

Gonkish posted:

Can confirm. Started playing this weekend. Took out aircraft maybe 3 times, instantly shot down by.. I don't even know. Never touching air again.

Amileo
Aug 18, 2012

Gonkish posted:

The only time I've seen TEST pull Air isn't to fight Air, but to A2G, usually when an armor train has built up or a Sundee is in a really tough spot. Sycthes with photon pods, gather on way point, blow up the target or as much poo poo as you can then die and go back to ground pounding.

Everyone Talking About Guns posted:

Pulsar C fapfest

I'm all on that Pulsar train, up untill unlocking the NS weapons due to steam sales and Summer Rewards it was and still is my go to VS weapon. What floored me with the DPS drops and accuracy boost was just how natural and easy it felt to snap out the NS guns, iron sight someone and just drop bodies.

:\ I wish I recalled how the VS felt back in Alpha properly, because I just don't know when our weapons stopped feeling fun for the most part. If I was going to be another faction I'd likely end up TR just because half the guns I use are 'spray lots of lasers'

Except I would be NC for that bolt driver, gently caress that thing with a rake. Hate getting hit by it.

Arghy
Nov 15, 2012

That is the best part of the NS11a--TR/NC have literally no reason to use it while its literally the best option for the VS.

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

Amileo posted:

The only time I've seen TEST pull Air isn't to fight Air, but to A2G, usually when an armor train has built up or a Sundee is in a really tough spot. Sycthes with photon pods, gather on way point, blow up the target or as much poo poo as you can then die and go back to ground pounding.

GOKU does the same. Pull A2G Scythes, swarm over the base, kill all their spawns, and when you die go fight on foot. It's probably the best way to use ESFs, considering the air meta being as horrific as it is.

RiffRoff
Aug 28, 2012

Strike the earth.

Epic High Five posted:

:commissar:TOTALI-TERRAN TUESDAYS!:commissar:
FACTION: TR [K0TH]
PLATOON LEAD: WEARY
THEME: TRUTH! UNITY! JUSTICE! BROTHERLY LOVE! /yell chat as a method of drawing attention to the TR arsenal, 100% of which is in desperate need of buffing!
START TIME: 8PM

This is officially going to be an every Tuesday at 8pm thing lead by myself (schedule permitting), to punctuate the semi-daily running of the TR outfit on my part and hopefully drum up enough interest in a full-time goon TR outfit or at least to get some more people playing with K0TH that the goons that do feel the need to play primarily TR aren't left out on an ice floe to die

ALL ARE WELCOME! If you want to stay in LWTX/your other outfits but still run just ask for an invite or join the public squad if there is one. I'm going to set the outfit to auto-join so you guys don't need to wait for me to log in and accept you. It'll be an immediate thing now

Is this still actually happening tonight? Seems like lots of people were interested in TR the last couple days!

Gaghskull
Dec 25, 2010

Bearforce1

Boys! Boys! Boys!

RiffRoff posted:

Can confirm. Started playing this weekend. Took out aircraft maybe 3 times, instantly shot down by.. I don't even know. Never touching air again.

Pull your air en-masse. Of course you're useless out on your own. ESFs have overnight, become pointless if you're by yourself. Join the swarm. GOON had a massive air swarm on Sunday night and as we were going, stray pubbie reavers decided that we looked like we knew what we were doing and decided to join in!

Amileo
Aug 18, 2012

Gonkish posted:

GOKU does the same. Pull A2G Scythes, swarm over the base, kill all their spawns, and when you die go fight on foot. It's probably the best way to use ESFs, considering the air meta being as horrific as it is.

And this is why as a TEST I love you guys so drat much.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

RiffRoff posted:

Is this still actually happening tonight? Seems like lots of people were interested in TR the last couple days!

It is indeed! I'll be on a bit before 8 to make sure everybody is in that needs in.

If you want to join in but stay with your present (inferior) TR outfit, just /tell me at FlakemoreBloodstab. If you want to join you can do the same or find us in the outfit browser under [K0TH] HANK HILL APPRECIATION STATION. It's set to auto join so if you say something sassy about me in your app I can't see it. Ranks are assigned randomly and are meaningless as everybody can invite

Gaghskull posted:

Pull your air en-masse. Of course you're useless out on your own. ESFs have overnight, become pointless if you're by yourself. Join the swarm. GOON had a massive air swarm on Sunday night and as we were going, stray pubbie reavers decided that we looked like we knew what we were doing and decided to join in!

We even had some joiners on our 28 Viper Lightning push from Snake Ravine that scoured all enemy life and armor clean from the entirety of the TI - Xroads - Crown area before flipping over a bunch and blowing up on rocks

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

quote =/= edit

Chance
Apr 28, 2002

:siren:
New PTS notes, nanites for resources, another certmas incoming
https://forums.station.sony.com/ps2/index.php?threads/test-patch-notes-7-8.193046/

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

Certmas? CERTMAS?! CERTMAS!

I guess this is just phase 1 of the resource revamp, according to Malorn's twitter. Phase 2 or whatever will include facility bonuses and all that other good stuff, apparently.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund
I don't like how you always have a steady stream of Nanites at all times fullstop.

It'd add at least some interest to the Meta if major facilities (and ONLY major facilities) gave small Nanite gain rate bonuses to everyone on that continent. Like maybe each major facility is +5 Nanites per minute or something. That'd at least incentivize defending Amp stations, since they're currently utterly worthless.

Or maybe that's how you balance the facility bonuses... Amp stations give you nanites. Tech plants allow MBTs. Biolabs allow lovely regen, because really, gently caress Biolabs, no one cares. And I say this as an NC guy, and we are the kings of the Biolab.

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012
I always forget that holding the Biolabs gives a regen. What is the rate on it?
Also I want those little ANT trucks or whatever from PS1 to return in some way.
Strike into enemy territory and gently caress up a convoy.

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

Can you still only have 10,000 certs max? I feel like I have over 10,000 cert spent in various acquisition timers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Fuzz posted:

I don't like how you always have a steady stream of Nanites at all times fullstop.

It'd add at least some interest to the Meta if major facilities (and ONLY major facilities) gave small Nanite gain rate bonuses to everyone on that continent. Like maybe each major facility is +5 Nanites per minute or something. That'd at least incentivize defending Amp stations, since they're currently utterly worthless.

Or maybe that's how you balance the facility bonuses... Amp stations give you nanites. Tech plants allow MBTs. Biolabs allow lovely regen, because really, gently caress Biolabs, no one cares. And I say this as an NC guy, and we are the kings of the Biolab.

It means there will be 3 conts available at all times, as being near warpgated on one will mean nothing as far as resources go. The complexities are being added in later. Probably the title of "2nd most important facility" is going to swap from Biolab or Amp station now

I'll miss 40 revive nades and pulling nonstop battle gals, but I've got every single vehicle either maxes or near maxed re: acquisition timers so I am probably getting like 10,000 back AT LEAST

I wonder if it will let you store up to the max possible (5 tank mines, for instance) or the max possible that you have unlocked (2-3 tank mines unless you have utility pouch)?

BadLlama posted:

Can you still only have 10,000 certs max? I feel like I have over 10,000 cert spent in various acquisition timers.

You can only earn up to 10,000, but you can get certmases to above that. You just have to spend down to below 10,000 to start earning them again

• Locked thread