Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Archonex
May 2, 2012

MY OPINION IS SEERS OF THE THRONE PROPAGANDA IGNORE MY GNOSIS-IMPAIRED RAMBLINGS

Technical Analysis posted:

Less clunky, less useful, more bullshit, and of course dice rolls!

It's not like the current system is useful at all. Outside of the Aegis set it's pretty much worthless.

At least now pubbies can get fleet versions of gear without having to kiss the rear end of some officer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Les Ricains tuent et moi je mue
Mao Mao
Les fous sont rois et moi je bois
Mao Mao
Les bombes tonnent et moi je sonne
Mao Mao
Les bebes fuient et moi je fuis
Mao Mao

Melchior posted:

http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=1157641

Sixty three pages of people grousing about content that I only visit to look at doff missions being removed (with the doff missions being moved to a point of interest in existing sectors). If you ever want to see a cross section of the playerbase, this thread is it.

quote:

If the clusters are being replaced by foundry missions, Cryptic is now obligated, by law, to pay foundry authors for content generation. Average hourly rate for content generation is $75 an hour. Since this particular service replaces an in-house employee, the foundry authors that are hired are now considered sub-contractors. United States laws states that sub-contractors are responsible for paying taxes; therefore, foundry authors will need to file quarterly tax returns. If Cryptic refuses to pay foundry authors, the players can now sue Cryptic for slave labor.

As a result of Cryptic making these changes, the work players generate will no longer be done by an in-house employee. Instead of hiring one of the millions that are unemployed, people who need to put food on the table, Cryptic has decided to ask players to generate content for free. Other words, Cryptic should hire a few unemployed people, so they can help people feed their families.

Why are you literally Herbert Hoover, Cryptic?

Conskill
May 7, 2007

I got an 'F' in Geometry.
I'd be interested in where he got the figure of $75/hr for "content generation," if I wasn't already convinced it came from the darkest, most primeval recesses of his intestinal track.

Morglon
Jan 13, 2010

Safe and sound, detached from reality.
Just like your posting.
Slavery? Someone call space Lincoln. I believe he is Centari.

I'm fairly sure doing anything in the Foundry requires you to agree to their TOS and those almost certainly state that Cryptic owns the rights to whatever you do with it. Not that I wouldn't like being paid that much for making GBS threads on a keyboard though. By reading this post you agree to pay me all your money.

Aleth
Aug 2, 2008

Pillbug

Archonex posted:

It's not like the current system is useful at all. Outside of the Aegis set it's pretty much worthless.

Combat horta.

Goat Pillager
Mar 1, 2013
From the way some of the pubs are arguing so hard over the cluster going, I am beginning to suspect that the particle traces are their only line of income.

Morglon
Jan 13, 2010

Safe and sound, detached from reality.
Just like your posting.
I can somewhat see how they'd be pissed though depending on how the system works. It could replace the poo poo mission you bang out in two minutes with some fankwank that vomits text at you for three hours.

Anita Dickinme
Jan 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

I win STO.

Mogomra
Nov 5, 2005

simply having a wonderful time
About loving time. I've been reporting you every day for months.

SugarAddict
Oct 11, 2012

UoI posted:

I win STO.

Show us the ban email!
We must know what you have braved to do to get this!

Lagomorphic
Apr 21, 2008

AKA: Orthonormal

UoI posted:

I win STO.

What did you do this time?

Anita Dickinme
Jan 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Mogomra posted:

About loving time. I've been reporting you every day for months.

I knew it was you.

SugarAddict posted:

Show us the ban email!
We must know what you have braved to do to get this!

Haven't even gotten one yet. So I have no idea.

SugarAddict
Oct 11, 2012

UoI posted:

Haven't even gotten one yet. So I have no idea.

Then you might get one after 6 months. Might.
I know their customer service is noted for their horridness.

Acer Pilot
Feb 17, 2007
put the 'the' in therapist

:dukedog:

UoI posted:

I win STO.

Rip

e: Was there a patch?

Acer Pilot fucked around with this message at 04:08 on Jul 8, 2014

Korgan
Feb 14, 2012

Hunter Noventa posted:

Come to think of it, it would be nice to talk to people while blasting Romulans.

I'm Ibis@Valsione in game.

You're invited.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Looks like they're getting around to running a couple of simple database queries and setting all the existing Starfleet NPCs to use the Oddy uniforms. I'm sure that come the patch it'll affect about half of them.

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

I think I would say to my daughters if they were to ask me this question... A shitpost is the greatest gift that you can give someone, the ultimate gift of giving and don't give it to someone lightly, that's what I would say.
I still want to be able to set uniforms for all of the crew on my ship. :saddowns:

Aleth
Aug 2, 2008

Pillbug

UoI posted:

I win STO.

RIP Anita Dickinme.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Sir Coq of Nandos posted:

I still want to be able to set uniforms for all of the crew on my ship. :saddowns:

And by uniforms I mean Risa shorts.

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

UoI posted:

I win STO.
:911:

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Acer Pilot posted:

e: Was there a patch?

I just got a huge patch on game close. They might be prepatching in some 9.5 data?

JFC
Oct 16, 2003

Jesus F Christ
Finger Lickin' God
I'm really liking the new uniform variants they are adding. The Odyssey uniforms have a nice design aesthetic to them.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

My general apathy was not strong enough for keep me from completing the summer event. Next stop: Rainbow beams! The NCC Gay Agenda will be fabulous.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

I like the Odyssey dress jacket because it has the TWoK shoulder strap thing going on.

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

Yeah, the Odyssey stuff looks like actual, proper Federation uniforms. I don't hate the Jupiter costumes, but they're far too "busy" in comparison.

Anita Dickinme
Jan 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
So update on the ban: I submitted a ticket on it last night for an answer on why I was banned. I checked on it this morning and I couldn't log into the support site anymore, so I called them. Got a lady on the phone, told me she can't discuss the ban on the phone, and that it was a ban from someone at support.

I had been trolling support for the past couple of weeks for cutting off my subscription five days early. That's like, a dollar right? I could tell the support guy was getting extremely upset by the third message, but it was too funny. So of course I didn't stop and this had been going on for a good week or two, not entirely sure.

So the lesson here: don't subscribe, and don't complain when they steal money from you or you'll get banned.

Anita Dickinme fucked around with this message at 22:49 on Jul 8, 2014

Tumblr of scotch
Mar 13, 2006

Please, don't be my neighbor.

JFC posted:

I'm really liking the new uniform variants they are adding. The Odyssey uniforms have a nice design aesthetic to them.

That's pretty slick. I gotta say, I like the direction they've been going with the aesthetics recently.

Acer Pilot
Feb 17, 2007

UoI posted:

So update on the ban: I submitted a ticket on it last night for an answer on why I was banned. I checked on it this morning and I couldn't log into the support site anymore, so I called them. Got a lady on the phone, told me she can't discuss the ban on the phone, and that it was a ban from someone at support.

I had been trolling support for the past couple of weeks for cutting off my subscription five days early. That's like, a dollar right? I could tell the support guy was getting extremely upset by the third message, but it was too funny. So of course I didn't stop and this had been going on for a good week or two, not entirely sure.

So the lesson here: don't subscribe, and don't complain when they steal money from you or you'll get banned.

Report them to the better business bureau and the consumerist. I can help if you want.

Tumblr of scotch
Mar 13, 2006

Please, don't be my neighbor.
The BBB is worthless since companies can just pay their way to a better rating. The Consumerist is good as far as I know, though.

Acer Pilot
Feb 17, 2007

It'll also be hilarious if it makes it to the Consumerist's front page.

Anita Dickinme
Jan 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Acer Pilot posted:

Report them to the better business bureau and the consumerist. I can help if you want.

Yeah, that'd be cool. I'll try and see if I can't get this sorted, if not I'll definitely hit you up.

Preechr
May 19, 2009

Proud member of the Pony-Brony Alliance for Obama as President
Ok, that's a pretty bullshit ban. I thought it would be for something amazing.

Anita Dickinme
Jan 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Preechr posted:

Ok, that's a pretty bullshit ban. I thought it would be for something amazing.

I have failed you. :smith:

Support posted:

Hello,

Thank you for contacting us! I understand that you account has been banned.

Upon checking the ban on your account has been lifted. Kindly try logging in and please let us know if you are still unable to get back in the game.

Best regards

Just got that. No explanations, no dollar refund. Okay.

Aleth
Aug 2, 2008

Pillbug
Twice the failure!

Acer Pilot
Feb 17, 2007

UoI posted:

That just proves that the pubbies are right and cryptic loves goons. He probably didn't see the preferred player flag in your account.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
You guys aren't getting the monthly Dental Dil stipend? You have to remember to tick the right box in your account settings.

Mogomra
Nov 5, 2005

simply having a wonderful time

UoI posted:

That's the most amazing thing ever. God drat, :cryptic:

JFC
Oct 16, 2003

Jesus F Christ
Finger Lickin' God

UoI posted:

Send a support ticket back to the guy that banned you saying:

"Thank you for lifting the ban on my account kind sir.

Now go get your loving shine box!"

Preechr
May 19, 2009

Proud member of the Pony-Brony Alliance for Obama as President

UoI posted:

Hahaha, redeemed. Dental bans don't stick!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Burning_Monk
Jan 11, 2005
Mad, Bad, and Dangerous to know
Info about the new Research & Development Material Packs

http://www.arcgames.com/en/games/star-trek-online/news/detail/6003413-research-%26-development-material-packs

quote:

Gathering very rare materials presents additional challenges beyond just completing an Elite queue. Because these materials are hard to come by, we wanted to make sure that if you were rewarded with very rare materials that you'd know which specific material you'd be getting. This means that each queue, based upon where it takes place (ground or space) and a few other factors will only reward one type of very rare material. For instance, playing an elite space STF against the Borg, like Khitomer Vortex, will reward Trellium-K from all Advanced packs earned while playing that queue. Likewise, playing an elite ground queue against the Undine such as Undine Infiltration will reward Dentarium from all Advanced packs earned while playing that queue. To help players keep track of what potential very rare material can be obtained from a given Advanced pack, that very rare material will be listed parenthetically in the name of the pack (e.g. Advanced Queue R&D Material Reward Package (Trellium-K)).

That's kind of annoying, like in the old days you had a large chance of getting Shields from KSE meant you'd be stuck with a lot them and not so many Deflectors or Engines unless you ran the other STFs. So again, if you grind one thing you'll only get one type of Material consistently.

• Locked thread