Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Izzy
Mar 22, 2010

Gibbering in the void
Is there a way to remap keys in the nightly build? Modifying Starbound.config makes the game crash now. I'm a lefty so the ASWD keys don't work terribly well.

EDIT: Nevermind, figured it out.

Izzy fucked around with this message at 00:23 on Jul 8, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
I'm avoiding nightly for all the crashy crashy but cannot wait to play the new stuff.

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.
Got an active DP-DVI dongle in the mail and was happily surprised to find support for windowed Eyefinity

This will make for some interesting exploration. Can also arrange the eyefinity chain vertically for digging deep.

(In case of constant nightly crashes, diagnostics. Erase local content if you have to then start on over fresh, copy in only the important bits)

e: Grab the Eyefinity mod for this. Hope it won't be a too long wait for a tiny step of performance optimizations come in, gets rough just walking around naked raw planets this way, what if I was back on my seed&loot-archive planets?

Ghosts n Gopniks fucked around with this message at 16:08 on Jul 8, 2014

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

The new game Chucklefish is publishing looks like garbage. Legend of Lenna's Inception.

quote:

Meaningful narrative (under development)

Seven Force
Nov 9, 2005

WARNING!

BOSS IS APPROACHING!!!

SEVEN FORCE

--ACTIONS--

SHITPOSTING

LOVE LOVE DANCING

I don't know if you're still taking ideas but if you're parked in orbit and you fall out of your ship somehow, it'd be cool if you could fall to the planet's surface. Or drop a colony/ship/satellite/whatever just cause. :v:

Party Alarm
May 10, 2012
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/hu31a6fw9m5gium/AADCA_JSmG8fubx4LIhq0Qk2a

Find me in IRC and send me your email if you want to contribute. Big goon mod knowledgebase

Catts
Nov 3, 2011

Babe Magnet posted:

The new game Chucklefish is publishing looks like garbage. Legend of Lenna's Inception.

Looks like a Link's Awakening clone. I don't see what's so bad about it :confused:

Plum Chaser
Jul 2, 2011

by Lowtax

Catts posted:

Looks like a Link's Awakening clone. I don't see what's so bad about it :confused:

Cause there's that other game that looks like a oldschool zelda game but doesn't look really lazy and poo poo?

everythingWasBees
Jan 9, 2013

Some of the graphics in it look a bit wonky but honestly for a Zelda clone it doesn't look all that bad.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Babyface Mingo posted:

Cause there's that other game that looks like a oldschool zelda game but doesn't look really lazy and poo poo?

Why's Chucklefish keep announcing games rather than working on their one? :confused:

VVVV : Ahh that makes sense then

Dandywalken fucked around with this message at 00:41 on Jul 9, 2014

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008

Dandywalken posted:

Why's Chucklefish keep announcing games rather than working on their one? :confused:

They're a publisher as well as a developer, and for the games they are developing in house they're hiring new teams rather than splintering the Starbound team.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It
They are attempting to become a retro-ish Paradox Interactive

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
Because they're a publisher which means they don't really have hands in the development of games that aren't Starbound at all?

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Babyface Mingo posted:

The important question is when Stardew Valley will be finished and up for sale? It looks like a 4 player SNES Harvest Moon and I'm completely down with that kind of game.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It
I don't remember seeing this posted here, it's a nice touch for starting ships

(You need to use Tech panel before ship functions come online.)

Party Alarm
May 10, 2012

Basic sprites with GraphicsGale tutorial is up there. Go make some sprites nerds, its fun

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Babyface Mingo posted:

Lenna's Inception looks exactly like one of those demo games that ships with Game Maker Pro that are used as examples for how quick and easy it is for you to make your own game.

Party Alarm
May 10, 2012
What if there is a game within the game? :tinfoil:

MOVIE MAJICK
Jan 4, 2012

by Pragmatica
Is this game good yet?

packetmantis
Feb 26, 2013

WYA posted:

Is this game good yet?

Yes, unlike your posting.

Plum Chaser
Jul 2, 2011

by Lowtax

packetmantis posted:

Yes, unlike your posting.

Wow, holy poo poo, jesus christ, drat, that is insanely(bolded to put emphasis) funny haha :D

Bob NewSCART
Feb 1, 2012

Outstanding afternoon. "I've often said there's nothing better for the inside of a man than the outside of a horse."

What's happened with the game since it's been released to the public?

Magmarashi
May 20, 2009

Bob NewSCART posted:

What's happened with the game since it's been released to the public?

Pedantic nerds have shitposted endlessly into the sunset about horsetits and chucklepups and fascism, about updates taking too long, and then updates coming too fast to have content, and then not happening fast enough again, about the devs abandoning the game despite daily updates on their work, about not understanding the difference between publishing and developing.

At least they keep the trains running on time

Broand
Oct 13, 2011
Not much, There've been a couple major updates soon after the initial beta release but they haven't really added anything new since then, outside of nightly builds which they introduced recently.

I'm not sure if I like the games focus on ore based progression so much. I feel as though there should be other ways to progress that don't mean diving to the center of a new planet every tier or so.

A plant which grows ore could be good. It'd certainly help with keeping a ship fueled for a longer period of time without scouring a planet for a generic resource when you'd rather explore. Another way of doing it would be adding hackable automated mining units and hacking them to think that you're a delivery point for resources. Or you could deconstruct decorations you find into resources. Or have a mob that drops an ore when they're killed which makes them a bit more valuable than most other mobs for capturing and rearing. Stuff that ties progression into the exploration element.

Party Alarm
May 10, 2012
Devs posted a bunch of relatively fast updates to the beta after December. People complained about saves and mods being broken and having to download too much over a short period. Devs move towards making a big rear end patch to move beta to the next stage. Gamers.txt poo poo happens. Devs move to England and get office setup, and get a puppy. People demand the puppy is deported. Devs post nightly builds now.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Broand posted:

Not much, There've been a couple major updates soon after the initial beta release but they haven't really added anything new since then, outside of nightly builds which they introduced recently.

I'm not sure if I like the games focus on ore based progression so much. I feel as though there should be other ways to progress that don't mean diving to the center of a new planet every tier or so.

A plant which grows ore could be good. It'd certainly help with keeping a ship fueled for a longer period of time without scouring a planet for a generic resource when you'd rather explore. Another way of doing it would be adding hackable automated mining units and hacking them to think that you're a delivery point for resources. Or you could deconstruct decorations you find into resources. Or have a mob that drops an ore when they're killed which makes them a bit more valuable than most other mobs for capturing and rearing. Stuff that ties progression into the exploration element.

I don't mind the ore based progression myself as a concept. So long as there are no odd hoops to go through to GET at the next tier of ore, once you already have the last one. I left off in Terraria way back because Meteor Tier requires, well, Meteors :v: Even looking up how to spawn them, it was rather awkard for a first timer normal wandering around player.

The Coal situation could be a real bitch at times though in Starbound, until I set up a tree farm with a mod to make things grow properly (I hear they fixed plants not growing right though?) There was also the frustrating situation where for some reason I was always ending up with almost a thousand Iron before I scrounged up enough copper to make a copper pickaxe.

I'm in the "I think all these nightly updates are cool, but I'm going to wait until a hefty stable update to get back into it" camp.

EDIT: vvv While I'm optimistic on the ores front, I've heard so many variants on "It's easy to get it" to only believe it when it actually happens with my RNG :v:. Honestly my biggest hope for progress in the mechanics is not making taking damage (Welcome to the lowest threat level to get the next tier of Ore. Enjoy being killed in literally one hit at night by common enemies) and healing damage so extreme and drudge work, respectively. Though quest content will be nice.

That and not nerfing the hell out of spears like they mentioned a while back, so I have a melee option against bosses that isn't nearly guaranteed to only get me knocked away before I hurt them, or trade hits at best. Hammers were where it's at the other 99% of the time.

I had a real great time on my trip to Impervium those times a while back. But combat generally felt like I was playing a very lethal game of tag, with a side of eating a banana bread every single time I got hit, or constantly shoving bandages down my throat. Boss damage was rather tame by comparison to the common wildlife, and every miniboss I've ever let hit me was a one-shot kill. I hear shields now have a limited useage bar or something, which does note bode well for their previous only use as "Keeping the 1,000 bullets per minute machine guns from killing me in seconds" objects. NPC guns went from "haha, thesse tickle" to :stare: in the upper tiers just from sheer volume of 1 damage a bullet hits.

Tl;DR for Edit: I love this game, I'm willing to wait however long it takes for the next stable. But what little I have caught regarding combat overhauls (No more death touch on 900 MPH enemies, less knockback done to enemies, being able to aim smaller weapons, nerfs to spears, cool parry system, shields having limited use) doesn't address my actual issues with the combat and health. The raw damage enemies deal to you regardless of your armor, and the disproportionate effort to recover from being hit a single time.

Section Z fucked around with this message at 08:40 on Jul 9, 2014

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

Goddammit this Cello is way out of tune!
The nightlies do change the ore distribution immensely. You will find a ton of coal on the surface of a threat level 1 planet instead of finding copper/iron. You'll actually need to dig into the planets to find the ores you need rather than getting enough copper/iron to craft all of tier 1 with only having a tiny handful of coal just by circumnavigating the planet.

Also remember that later on, progression will be tied to quests and it won't be diving to the center of the planet to get further into the game. The new universe map also is one map instead of sectors. You could head to a threat level 10 planet right when you can start travelling, for example, since you will be on one planet to get the tier 1 progression started. Also farming might be a method to progress.

The reason the next update is taking so long is that they're getting the progression/quest system into the game, so it's less of a sandbox explore game and more of a game.

mollygos
May 9, 2013

heat death of the universe

IAmTheRad posted:

The nightlies do change the ore distribution immensely. You will find a ton of coal on the surface of a threat level 1 planet instead of finding copper/iron. You'll actually need to dig into the planets to find the ores you need rather than getting enough copper/iron to craft all of tier 1 with only having a tiny handful of coal just by circumnavigating the planet.

Also remember that later on, progression will be tied to quests and it won't be diving to the center of the planet to get further into the game. The new universe map also is one map instead of sectors. You could head to a threat level 10 planet right when you can start travelling, for example, since you will be on one planet to get the tier 1 progression started. Also farming might be a method to progress.

The reason the next update is taking so long is that they're getting the progression/quest system into the game, so it's less of a sandbox explore game and more of a game.

Yeah, we have been rebalancing the ore distribution a lot and changing a lot of things to prepare for progression. We had another meeting yesterday about progression, and things are shaping up to be pretty fun I think! I'm excited to get the outposts fully fleshed out.

Party Alarm posted:

Basic sprites with GraphicsGale tutorial is up there. Go make some sprites nerds, its fun

THX FOR THIS I always like finding new pixel art tutorials.

OH W8 there are actually not any pixel art tutorials in here as far as I can tell whoops. WHOOPS.

mollygos fucked around with this message at 13:27 on Jul 9, 2014

Polyseme
Sep 6, 2009

GROUCH DIVISION

mollygos posted:

OH W8 there are actually not any pixel art tutorials in here as far as I can tell whoops. WHOOPS.

Link >> Tutorials >> Babby's First Sprites >> Sprite Tutorial.doc

Granted, I have no idea if it's any good: I would need to start with "How does one visual arts, anyway?"

Party Alarm
May 10, 2012
It's extremely basic. Like, here's how to use GraphicsGale for scrubs and here's this thing I kitbashed, and how I made it, go make one

Gonna add more to it as time goes on

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC
I didn't opt into the nightlies, but did they add in persistent farmables functionality yet?

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

Goddammit this Cello is way out of tune!

ToastyPotato posted:

I didn't opt into the nightlies, but did they add in persistent farmables functionality yet?

That's been in since the unstable build afaik

Broand
Oct 13, 2011
One of the cool things Terraria did with ores was that you had no idea what you could do with them until you got back to your base and checked the recipes of things you could make. Early game was more along the lines of "Oh hey some copper, that'll come in handy" rather than "Okay I need X amount of copper in order to progress". Eventually you find stranger materials, like meteorite, demonite and other stuff and each time you find them you're mining with the thought that "I bet I can make some really cool poo poo with this" because it was an uncommon material with a cool premise.

Starbound is more straightforward. You mine materials to make gear better and build more weapons, but there's very little variation outside of standard upgrades. Starbound has loads of cool potential materials, like Direstone, Tar, Bones, Sand, Mud, Slime, Dungeon building blocks etc but you can't make anything cool out of them. You can make some furniture out of them but there's so little else you can do with them. Where Starbound can really outshine Terraria is the fact that you know that there's not going to be all the content on one planet, which drives you to explore. But if all you get is a slightly different flavour of the same thing then there's not much point in exploring at all.

graynull
Dec 2, 2005

Did I misread all the signs?
The latest update about the wiring for apex-item light sources looks really cool. Particularly the creepy static televisions in the darkness. I hope the new ships allow for much darker interiors as I wanted to set my floran ship up with a creepy Aliens xenomorph vibe.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

mollygos posted:

Yeah, we have been rebalancing the ore distribution a lot and changing a lot of things to prepare for progression. We had another meeting yesterday about progression, and things are shaping up to be pretty fun I think! I'm excited to get the outposts fully fleshed out.

THX FOR THIS I always like finding new pixel art tutorials.

A suggestion for rebalancing:
Morph Ball's bombs

What about it and why? Right now you can curl in to a ball and drop bombs as fast as you can click the button. In a recent game where I was playing with a few friends we spawned the dragon and they were jumping around fighting it, dying and slowly chipping away at its health...

Then I went up in the air, made a wooden platform, turned in to a ball, and literally poo poo damage all over it. Bombs doing 50 or so damage per hit, and dropping as fast as I could click, meant the dragon went from about 90% to 0% in maybe 4-5 seconds, probably less. It's a very niche use for it (and the only really good use I've found other than rolling down giant ramps) but if you find morph ball on an alpha world like I did it can let you cheese probably every boss. I do wish you could jump when you use it though. At a glance I'd suggest making the ball itself not use energy and make the energy consumption come from dropping bombs and maybe jumping. Aside from the boss murder it's not worth using though. :(

e: Correction: Aside from boss murder and killing your friends instantly (because bombs always hurt them but not you:devil:), the morph ball isn't very good.

Party Alarm
May 10, 2012

I think I like this color scheme better

Party Alarm
May 10, 2012

Welp, changed some stuff on the big shroom. Looks like I need to go back and edit all the animation frames!

QuantaStarFire
May 18, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Party Alarm posted:

I think I like this color scheme better

Getting some Dark Souls vibes off this guy. Bet his punch packs a wallop.

I'm excited to hear that coal will be more common on the surface now. It's really, really annoying to find in the stable and doesn't let you get very far, so hopefully this changes that. I liked the more open exploration when wood was a fuel.

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?

I might be modding again?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

gosh! i like both the islanders and the rangers!!! :^)

Shoehead posted:

I might be modding again?

Tell me you have plans for a giant zord/megazord tech?

• Locked thread