Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

maou shoujo
Apr 12, 2014

ニンゲンの表裏一体

The White Dragon posted:

If he's already capturing monsters, the guy might as well just grind on King Cactuar/Don Tonberry. They're both fairly low-risk and give gigantic payouts. It's been over a decade, though, so I'm afraid I can't help in terms of what kinds of items you need to forge Overdrive -> AP.

Plus this gives me the opportunity to ask, what is your avatar from? The ears and text say "Disgaea," but that's no class I'm familiar with.

Overdrive -> AP comes from 10x Door to Tomorrow. You can get a whole lot of them very easily from capturing rewards, or by stealing from Ultima Weapon. (10x for a common steal, 20x for a rare!)

That's the generic female Thief from Disgaea 2 onwards by the way. Male thieves were only in the first game, the rest are female-only.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bregor
May 31, 2013

People are idiots, Leslie.

The White Dragon posted:

If he's already capturing monsters, the guy might as well just grind on King Cactuar/Don Tonberry. They're both fairly low-risk and give gigantic payouts. It's been over a decade, though, so I'm afraid I can't help in terms of what kinds of items you need to forge Overdrive -> AP.

Another forum I read suggested farming Triple AP weapons from One-Eye, then mod Overdrive->AP and Triple Overdrive onto them.

That (and Don Tonberry trick for that matter) is probably overkill (no pun intended) since he's playing the original version and doesn't need to complete the Sphere Grid for all seven characters for that stupid trophy :argh:

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
Ehh, it was our go-to back in the day anyway. I'd rather gain 99 Sphere Levels in one fight than fight five rare and highly-dangerous mobs to gain one.

General Morden
Mar 3, 2013

GOTTA HAVE THAT PAX BISONICA
Has the original Final Fantasy Tactics aged well? I've been thinking of picking up the War of the Lions version, but I'm not sure how it holds up to the more recent titles.

I've played through FFTA and FFTA2, but the original looks fairly complex with the point systems for jobs/skills, as well as stats like Bravery and Faith. Also I've heard that the game is very difficult, but just how difficult is it?

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

It's aged decently well, if you enjoyed the Advance games you'll enjoy it too.

It's not really difficult if you have a good head for job systems and how to build strong units, but otherwise it can be fairly tough. (Although crutches like Orlandu prevent it from getting too hard. Also, save in multiple slots.)

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

General Morden posted:

Has the original Final Fantasy Tactics aged well? I've been thinking of picking up the War of the Lions version, but I'm not sure how it holds up to the more recent titles.

I've played through FFTA and FFTA2, but the original looks fairly complex with the point systems for jobs/skills, as well as stats like Bravery and Faith. Also I've heard that the game is very difficult, but just how difficult is it?

There's a couple parts that are a big gotcha if you haven't figured out how to break the game over your knee yet. Both of which I'm pretty sure are in the third Chapter (out of the game's total four so it's pretty far in).

It's got some quirky mechanics but in many ways is more straightforward than the Advance games. No laws, for one.

And yeah some of the Unique Party Members are really, really good.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

General Morden posted:

Keep in mind War of the Lions has built in lag for special attacks, I think the IOS version's update got rid of it.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

General Morden posted:

If you're thinking of picking up War of the Lions, you should know that the PSP version has some pretty egregious hardcoded lag, but there's a patch you can apply via homebrew to fix it, but being homebrew it only works on a PSP, not a Vita. If you're looking at the iOS version they fixed it altogether, so no worries.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
I've played Tactics like maybe 3 times, but my main turn-off about that game is that you only have 5 party members. Is the game balanced around that, and is there a bunch of downtime between your turns?

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!
Well yes, the game is balanced around having 5 characters. There's not usually much downtime, because there's typically a similar number of enemy units. There's more downtime in the beginning since the game gives you a bunch of AI-controlled guests, but that mostly stops after mid-chapter 2.

Million Ghosts
Aug 11, 2011

spooooooky
Why wouldn't it be? I mean it's not a balanced game at all but the party size has gently caress all to do with that. It also moves at a decent pace for an SRPG until waaaay later on when you have to fight dickhead summoners and mages all the time.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Five/six people is more than enough to make short work of anything the game can throw at you. It's notoriously easy to break wide open, though the first quarter is a bit tougher thanks to more limited options as far as equipment and classes go.

Turns come individually in a unit-based initiative system so there's not too much downtime, usually. Incidentally, the Speed stat is one of the most powerful in the game. A character with Speed 12 will have twice as many actions in a battle as a character in Speed 6 since it's tick-based to 100, and every "tick" every characters' initiative bar will fill up by an amount equal to their Speed.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon
I managed to beat FFT at release without utterly breaking the game. It's hard but not unforgivingly so and if you've figured out the job system in other games, you should be fine.

The game has aged really well to the point that the iOS version, which might be the definitive one at this point, has stayed on the list of top purchased games on the App Store for over a year.

BloodWulfe
Mar 18, 2003
Tactics remains a wonderful game. It's aged better than a lot of psx games that come to mind.

If you play WoTL be aware that you can properly patch it to fix the magic animation lag issues, regardless of whether it's on ppsspp or PSP.

Wiegraf is a gotcha in ch3, and there are a few other mostly OK gotcha points. Regardless you should go play it right now.

Calcs are broken, blade grasp is pretty neat, and dragoons look awesome.

Million Ghosts
Aug 11, 2011

spooooooky
If you ever want the game to have any challenge never make an unarmed ninja.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

BottledBodhisvata posted:

Alright, let's lay off the Game of Thrones comparisons, it's too easy. So:

Final Fantasy VII is basically the Wire of video games.

Cloud Strife is McNulty, a troublesome but handsome man skilled at his job but bad at his life
Barret is Bunk Moreland, just tryin' to do the job right, claims to be devoted to his family but hardly spends any time with them
Tifa is Kima, tough and no-nonsense, but responsible and tends to follow the leader
Aeris is D'angelo Barksdale, thoughtful with a pretty face, but grew up on the streets and knows when to throw down--ultimately too weak to survive.
Red XIII is Lester Freamon, older, wiser, and tends to hang out in the background until needed
Cait Sith is Jay Landsman, a fat guy with questionable motivations and allegiances
Yuffie is Omar, can't stop stealing poo poo and is also stealing your poo poo yo Omar why you stealing my poo poo
Cid Highwind is Frank Sobotka, an old, foul-mouthed codger who can't let go of his dreams.
Vincent is Cedric Daniels, kind of straight-laced and he used to be by the book, but he got burned by the system and is gonna take things into his own hands

President Shinra is Avon Barksdale, the name behind the company, but not the real power.
Rufus is Stringer Bell, the cold heart of the company that takes over when the President is gone

Sephiroth is Marlo.

Dio is Hodor.

Something something archetypes something something realism I dunno this felt a lot funnier when I started. I guess the point is that The Wire is really good and Final Fantasy VII is also really good but not really as good? it's not really fair to compare

Did anyone else appreciate this as much as I am? That's funny as hell.

Veib
Dec 10, 2007

NikkolasKing posted:

For this site in particular, I saw TSL listed by a few people in the "Books you couldn't finish" thread in the Book Barn. But I post on a lot of forums and it's not very popular on a good chunk of them.

The Book Barn currently has a thread calling out the forum for reading nothing but genre fiction.

Unsurprisingly, it's a lot shorter than many popular threads about genre fiction.

General Morden
Mar 3, 2013

GOTTA HAVE THAT PAX BISONICA

Million Ghosts posted:

If you ever want the game to have any challenge never make an unarmed ninja.

Ninjas are my favorite class in Final Fantasy.

Why are they broken in Tactics?

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

This is pretty spoilery if you've never played Tactics, but this update of OFS' Tactics LP should just about cover it.
http://lparchive.org/Final-Fantasy-Tactics/Update%2043/

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!

General Morden posted:

Ninjas are my favorite class in Final Fantasy.

Why are they broken in Tactics?

Specifically he said an unarmed ninja. Barehanded attacks are heavily based on a unit's Brave stat, which is relatively easy to raise permanently to very high levels. The Martial Arts ability from Monks, combined with high brave, make unarmed attacks extremely damaging. Now put them on the fastest unit, who attacks twice a turn and can equip armor to greatly boost strength, and you have a serious poo poo-wrecker.

Million Ghosts
Aug 11, 2011

spooooooky
Also due to the way the game calculates unarmed damage, there's an accessory or piece of armour (I don't remember) that will boost your damage by an insane amount for like no money.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Put another way, if Ninjas are your favorite class and watching Ninjas completely wreck face sounds like a good time, then you're in luck!

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

General Morden posted:

FFTA2 is considerably less complex with getting rid of Bravery/Faith and no permadeath, so all you can care about is making your favourite Moogle stronger and cursing every time a critical hit ends up breaking a law.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Veib posted:

The Book Barn currently has a thread calling out the forum for reading nothing but genre fiction.

Unsurprisingly, it's a lot shorter than many popular threads about genre fiction.

I actually didn't realize that thread got better. I read the first page and assumed it was turning into the equivalent of a shitthread but it seems like I was mistaken.

Level Slide
Jan 4, 2011

I want Final Fantasy XV to be the Breaking Bad of Final Fantasy in that Bryan Cranston provides the voice for Noctis and/or his dad.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

What Tactics game doesn't have Ninja as one of, if not the best class? Seems like the weakness of SPRG's in general that use a turn system like FF Tactics or Tactics Ogre.

Million Ghosts
Aug 11, 2011

spooooooky
The issue with that is FFT is far more worth playing than the other ones, despite it's ridiculous balance issues.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

There's nothing in a FF Tactics game more broken than Assassins in FFTA though. Giving them a 100% chance to hit instant kill attack is cruel to the AI, but it's super satisfying.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

So I died in the 1st actual mission because I didn't realize you had to manually add in the party members. Whoops.

The remake looks...I dunno, it looks meh and old but I guess that's not fair comparing to Tactics Ogre. Everyone just looks fat and plushy.

Million Ghosts
Aug 11, 2011

spooooooky
I did the same thing when I played that poo poo at like, 12. You've joined an esteemed club, my brother.

(this was not a dig on you )

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

I remember coming home during my dinner breaks in my first years of secondary school, so maybe 12-13 years ago now and loading up FFT, seeing the l i t t l e m o n e y scene and getting absolutely wrecked by the first mission time and time again. It was a great day when I figure out how to actually play though.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Tae posted:

So I died in the 1st actual mission because I didn't realize you had to manually add in the party members. Whoops.

Million Ghosts posted:

I did the same thing when I played that poo poo at like, 12. You've joined an esteemed club, my brother.

(this was not a dig on you )

It's really gratifying to know I'm not alone in this.

Crimson Harvest
Jul 14, 2004

I'm a GENERAL, not some opera floozy!
FFT's character building sounds pretty complex. Is there a guide out there for understanding the interplay between gear, skills, innate stats, and class? Every time I start up the game I feel like I only understand about 5% of the information I'm provided.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Crimson Harvest posted:

FFT's character building sounds pretty complex. Is there a guide out there for understanding the interplay between gear, skills, innate stats, and class? Every time I start up the game I feel like I only understand about 5% of the information I'm provided.

It can be complex-looking but it really isn't worth stress out about. The game is extremely low difficulty and you can do very well just by fooling around with the concepts. Most of the guides out there are less beginner's hints and more "how to shatter the game over your knee."

Million Ghosts
Aug 11, 2011

spooooooky
To echo ImpAtom, it looks really hard but it's not at all. Read skill descriptions, think of a class combo that sounds cool, and try to make it work. It's easy enough to allow a ton of loving around, so go nuts.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

Yo Ninja ain't no Samurai who has Blade Grasp and its ability to make you actually nigh invincible so go Samurai or go home

Facepalm Ranger
Jan 17, 2012

SOME PEOPLE FIND HOME APPLIANCES SEXUALLY AROUSING! ZORDS ARE NOT APPLIANCES, DAMMIT!

Wade Wilson posted:

It's a real shame Micheal Clarke Duncan is dead.

It was so hard to not type his name...:smith:

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

Aurain posted:

There's nothing in a FF Tactics game more broken than Assassins in FFTA though. Giving them a 100% chance to hit instant kill attack is cruel to the AI, but it's super satisfying.

Have you ever played with Calculators/Arithmancers in FFT? You can kill every enemy unit and heal your own party simultaneously, in one action, for no mp-cost.

Even the game designers recognized that, and in the multiplayer modes of FFT WOL Calculator/Math Skill is banned.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Yeah, true.
You have to be fairly smart at maths to know which skill to use when though, and I am not a fairly smart person.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

maou shoujo
Apr 12, 2014

ニンゲンの表裏一体

Madmarker posted:

Have you ever played with Calculators/Arithmancers in FFT? You can kill every enemy unit and heal your own party simultaneously, in one action, for no mp-cost.

Even the game designers recognized that, and in the multiplayer modes of FFT WOL Calculator/Math Skill is banned.

I'm not sure what they were thinking with Calculators in the first place. Math Skill lets you cast almost any spell from Priest/Wizard/Time Mage/Oracle, with no MP cost, no charge time, infinite range, that can easily hit every unit on the field at once, or that can be tweaked to specify targets by putting a little more thought into it. Like, what the gently caress? That has got to be the most overpowered ability I've seen in any RPG.