Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Before Times
Mar 8, 2014

Once upon a time, I would have thrown you halfway to the moon for a crack like that.

Amethyst posted:

What?

Are Labor really supporting the welfare changes?!

I'd hope not! I'm not sure if the LNP is that dumb and they really DO think people can just go get a job, and that the reforms will incentivise anything but youth suicide, OR if they're trying to use this to somehow segue into IR reform so that job creators are free to exploit employ people. Maybe a similar sliding pay/age scale to the one we have for those under 21, but just extend it a few years so that people under 30 are paid a % of minimum wage.

Hopefully I'm not giving anyone ideas.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

I CANNOT HELP BUT MAKE THE DCSS THREAD A FETID SWAMP OF UNFUN POSTING
plz notice me trunk-senpai
Even family first are against the 6 month waiting period for under 30s.

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

I CANNOT HELP BUT MAKE THE DCSS THREAD A FETID SWAMP OF UNFUN POSTING
plz notice me trunk-senpai

quote:

Less than a fortnight after the federal government announced that from 2015, people up to 30 years old will have to wait six months for an unemployment benefit, Mr Andrews showed little patience for Labor's criticism it was the ''single most heartless measure'' in the budget.

Pretty sure Labor aren't supporting it guys.

The Before Times
Mar 8, 2014

Once upon a time, I would have thrown you halfway to the moon for a crack like that.

Amethyst posted:

Pretty sure Labor aren't supporting it guys.

Good. In any case, if I manage to get a job when I graduate next year (end of 2015) I might keep a spot on my couch/emergency food basket for friends who are in dire financial situations because of no newstart.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe
Holy gently caress Bernardi.

Senator Bernardi posted:

She talked about the rights of people. She didn't talk about the dignity of work.
Labor and the Greens have to start thinking logically. It's about the dignity of every individual.

The Greens and the Labor party recognise the dignity of the baby dolphin, they don't recognise the dignity of the unborn child. They recognise the dignity of a plant but they don't recognise the dignity of having power from a hydroelectric dam. They are sanctimonious hypocrites.

I'm not sure he understands the words he's using.

:suicide:

norp
Jan 20, 2004

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

let's invade New Zealand, they have oil
They have said they don't support the 6 month period but they have flagged support for food stamps.
I'm pretty sure I remember them supporting the penalties for not making your centerlink appointments or taking the first job you get offered as well.

I'm phone posting so I can't really dig up links

The Before Times
Mar 8, 2014

hooman posted:

Holy gently caress Bernardi.

I'm not sure he understands the words he's using.

:suicide:

Reminds me of a joke I saw recently

How does Bernardi feel about the dignity of homelessness?

The Before Times fucked around with this message at 09:01 on Jul 9, 2014

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

Mithranderp posted:

Reminds me of a joke I saw recently

In any case, how does Bernardi feel about the dignity of homelessness?

Probably feels it's very dignified. Very noble individual not taking handouts and leaning on others, look at him dead in an alley, if only all such people had his courage to freeze to death rather than be an incomprehensibly small and brief drain on the system while they got back on their feet and then started contributing (through tax) to the safety net that helped them back up.

The Before Times
Mar 8, 2014

hooman posted:

Probably feels it's very dignified. Very noble individual not taking handouts and leaning on others, look at him dead in an alley, if only all such people had his courage to freeze to death rather than be an incomprehensibly small and brief drain on the system while they got back on their feet and then started contributing (through tax) to the safety net that helped them back up.

Our new safety net consists of red hot barbed wire to disincentivise falling.

ModernMajorGeneral
Jun 25, 2010

iajanus posted:

“The idea there is some sort of entrenched apartheid in the country … just can’t be sustained when 30% of Colombo is Tamil … and [there is] a high level of co-operation between the racial groups,” he said.

Is he really arguing there is no 'entrenched apartheid' because Tamils are a large minority? What universe are we living in where apartheid involved a majority white country persecuting the 1% of its population which were black?

Nuclear Spy
Jun 10, 2008

feeling under?

Quantum Mechanic posted:

It costs ten times more to throw asylum seekers in offshore detention camps than it does to give them a room at a motel
A $199 room special at Sydney's 5-star Sheraton Hotel compares with the $205 a night which G4S has been charging for a bed on Manus, or $74,792 per detainee for the year.

Murodese posted:

Guy that throws poop more forward-thinking than entire Liberal party.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS

Mattjpwns posted:

We have become world leaders, champions!

... in recreational drug use.

http://www.news.com.au/lifestyle/he...v-1226980456570

:australia: :australia: :australia:

Hypation
Jul 11, 2013

The White Witch never knew what hit her.

Well you're not adding in the extra's like day spa and minibar or restaurant etc....
It's not all just about the accommodation costs.

Jonah Galtberg
Feb 11, 2009

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

Hypation posted:

Well you're not adding in the extra's like day spa and minibar or restaurant etc....
It's not all just about the accommodation costs.

I'm pretty sure that's not the point here. The very fact that detaining people in horrific conditions is vastly more expensive than detaining them in humane ones shows how utterly wasteful the practice is. The only plausible justification for detaining the asylum seekers in the conditions they are being kept in is blatant xenophobia or outright hatred.

Gough Suppressant
Nov 14, 2008

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

I'm pretty sure that's not the point here. The very fact that detaining people in horrific conditions is vastly more expensive than detaining them in humane ones shows how utterly wasteful the practice is. The only plausible justification for detaining the asylum seekers in the conditions they are being kept in is blatant xenophobia or outright hatred.

Yes and?

Jonah Galtberg
Feb 11, 2009

Gough Suppressant
Nov 14, 2008

Influx?

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'

Bulk and Skull?

Vladimir Poutine
Aug 13, 2012
:madmax:

I like to think the guy on the left is named Knuckles.
"Rough him up Knuckles."
"Right boss."

Nuclear Spy
Jun 10, 2008

feeling under?
An excerpt of the content from the first slide of his presentation:

adamantium|wang
Sep 14, 2003

Missing you

froglet
Nov 12, 2009

You see, the best way to Stop the Boats is a massive swarm of autonomous armed dogs. Strafing a few boats will stop the rest and save many lives in the long term.

You can't make an Omelet without breaking a few eggs. Vote Greens.
For those of you interested in my work woes where my male colleague was getting paid more than me for the same job... Today, I quit. While I would very much like to drag them through the whole process of the equal opportunity tribunal and claw back some backpay and super, it would take weeks and may jeopardise my relationship with my new employer if I have to take time off for it. Sorry guys, I kinda need to look after myself first.

Murodese
Mar 6, 2007

Think you've got what it takes?
We're looking for fine Men & Women to help Protect the Australian Way of Life.

Become part of the Legend. Defence Jobs.
They now have to hire and train someone else who is likely not as good at their job as you, so they lost badly in the end.

The Before Times
Mar 8, 2014

Murodese posted:

They now have to hire and train someone else who is likely not as good at their job as you, so they lost badly in the end.

And if the person is male, they'll pay him more, so they lose twice as hard.

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

Yeah, I didn't need to see that.

CrazyTolradi
Oct 2, 2011

It feels so good to be so bad.....at posting.

Tones gets a hard on for rubber?

Ragingsheep
Nov 7, 2009

froglet posted:

For those of you interested in my work woes where my male colleague was getting paid more than me for the same job... Today, I quit. While I would very much like to drag them through the whole process of the equal opportunity tribunal and claw back some backpay and super, it would take weeks and may jeopardise my relationship with my new employer if I have to take time off for it. Sorry guys, I kinda need to look after myself first.

Hope you're not getting underpaid at your new place.

Eyespy
Dec 20, 2004

When I talk about the doomed, the scum, the people who no longer give a shit...When I talk about the filth of the city...I'm talking about you.

My Prime Minister and my Member of Parliament. Kill me.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

chocolate rain tamil boats
no one wants to hear about it now
tamil boats
wish real hard it goes away somehow

Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe

Bifauxnen posted:

WHITEY WENT WACKO

This will be my next username.

Jonah Galtberg
Feb 11, 2009

You win

Gough Suppressant
Nov 14, 2008

Shadeoses posted:

This will be my next username.

loving queue jumper

Haters Objector posted:

This is going on my potential namechange list

Murodese
Mar 6, 2007

Think you've got what it takes?
We're looking for fine Men & Women to help Protect the Australian Way of Life.

Become part of the Legend. Defence Jobs.
To be fair, there is no way to apply for a namechange whilst still having your original name, and unfortunately j.gill removed the name changing script from the namechange zone.

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

Gough Suppressant posted:

loving queue jumper

Whichever one of them flips out and kills the other can be the whitey that went wacko.

Nuclear Spy
Jun 10, 2008

feeling under?

Bifauxnen posted:

Whichever one of them flips out and kills the other can be the whitey that went wacko.
And the other gets this username:

Gough Suppressant posted:

loving queue jumper

Arcanen
Dec 19, 2005

MysticalMachineGun posted:

Awesome post, thanks for this.

"Mad Katter posted:

I knew it seemed like a load of poo poo. Thanks so much for an awesome and informative post. I learnt a lot from this, and it confirmed many of my suspicions.

You're welcome.

The most frustrating thing is that every statement he made is technically true, but there's so much misdirection and omission that the story that is painted is a complete fabrication.

Politics in a nutshell, I guess.

Freudian Slip
Mar 10, 2007

"I'm an archivist. I'm archiving."
A topic that may get the thread actually debating among ourselves.

Tonight at our Green's meeting we discussed whether or not the Greens should allow the increase in the fuel excise.

I suggested that the Greens should pass it with an amendment that at least half the money raised would go to public transport, with the remainder going to roads.

However, we also needed a decision whether it should be passed without amendment. I argued that while it was a regressive tax, we had both economic and environmental reasons to pass it. In the end I was able to sway the group to support the rise in fuel excise.

It wasn't an easy choice, like the idea of the Greens suggesting amendments to the policy (re: public transport).

It is a regressive tax, because people who live in the outer suburbs and in rural/regional areas do need to drive as there are few, if any, public transport options. People who live near decent public transport are often more affluent. Also for people to be able to afford to buy a new fuel efficient car they need to be relatively wealthy.

However, indexing the excise means that the proportion of excise raised will hopefully stay in line with fuel price increases. At the moment the proportion of what we pay for fuel that is the excise has nearly halved since Howard froze it as petrol prices have increased so much. We currently have a structural deficit since taxes have been cut so much. Revenue raised from these increases means there is less chance that some services won't be cut (that sounds naive now that I typed that)

The other issue is to me the most important one. By placing more tax on petrol it sends a price signal to the consumer that we shouldn't be using so much petrol. It will encourage people to drive less, look for public transport options or buy more fuel efficient cars. As Greens, increasing the cost of pollution should be one of our main policies.

So simplistically, I see the policy as having two points for and one against.

What do other people think? Did I make the right call?

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

Freudian Slip posted:

The other issue is to me the most important one. By placing more tax on petrol it sends a price signal to the consumer that we shouldn't be using so much petrol. It will encourage people to drive less, look for public transport options or buy more fuel efficient cars. As Greens, increasing the cost of pollution should be one of our main policies.

I agree with most of what you wrote but not this. Driving a car is expensive and people already look for alternative routes. Unfortunately a lot of our suburbs are designed in such a way that good public transport is just about impossible to implement at a reasonable price.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jonah Galtberg
Feb 11, 2009

Freudian Slip posted:

A topic that may get the thread actually debating among ourselves.

Tonight at our Green's meeting we discussed whether or not the Greens should allow the increase in the fuel excise.

I suggested that the Greens should pass it with an amendment that at least half the money raised would go to public transport, with the remainder going to roads.

However, we also needed a decision whether it should be passed without amendment. I argued that while it was a regressive tax, we had both economic and environmental reasons to pass it. In the end I was able to sway the group to support the rise in fuel excise.

It wasn't an easy choice, like the idea of the Greens suggesting amendments to the policy (re: public transport).

It is a regressive tax, because people who live in the outer suburbs and in rural/regional areas do need to drive as there are few, if any, public transport options. People who live near decent public transport are often more affluent. Also for people to be able to afford to buy a new fuel efficient car they need to be relatively wealthy.

However, indexing the excise means that the proportion of excise raised will hopefully stay in line with fuel price increases. At the moment the proportion of what we pay for fuel that is the excise has nearly halved since Howard froze it as petrol prices have increased so much. We currently have a structural deficit since taxes have been cut so much. Revenue raised from these increases means there is less chance that some services won't be cut (that sounds naive now that I typed that)

So simplistically, I see the policy as having two points for and one against.

What do other people think? Did I make the right call?

• Locked thread