Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Braksgirl
Dec 25, 2010

Unofficial Goon Disney travel agent since 2014!

Tens of Goons served!

Squack McQuack posted:

What did you like/dislike about it?

I wrote a blog post about it. I liked the layout of the resort. It's not too spread out. I like that there are several bus stops throughout the resort so it's not that far a hike to catch the bus and that the resort has its own fleet so you don't have pick ups at other resorts. That makes for less chance for full buses. The resort itself is quite pretty and their pool is very nice. My kids were quite fond of the jaguar water slide.

My husband was less impressed with the room itself for the price, but I thought it was fine. When we stayed there, it was his first WDW trip and I think he had a bit of sticker shock.

I guess the only thing I didn't like about it was that it wasn't the Poly? ;)

Braksgirl fucked around with this message at 14:48 on Jul 9, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Squack McQuack
Nov 20, 2013

by Modern Video Games

Braksgirl posted:

I wrote a blog post about it. I liked the layout of the resort. It's not too spread out. I like that there are several bus stops throughout the resort so it's not that far a hike to catch the bus and that the resort has its own fleet so you don't have pick ups at other resorts. That makes for less chance for full buses. The resort itself is quite pretty and their pool is very nice. My kids were quite fond of the jaguar water slide.

My husband was less impressed with the room itself for the price, but I thought it was fine. When we stayed there, it was his first WDW trip and I think he had a bit of sticker shock.

I guess the only thing I didn't like about it was that it wasn't the Poly? ;)

Nice review. It would just be my girlfriend and me going, so the "less families" thing is a plus.

Cais
Jul 10, 2006
unicycler

Tunga posted:

What's the difference between Memory Maker and PhotoPass Archive?

Edit: It's cool, figured this out. MM includes ride photos. And costs less. So, umm, yeah.

If you prepurchase, the Disney PhotoPass Archive disc costs 119. Memory maker, without the prepurchase, costs 200.

Basically, the DPAD comes as a download or a physical DVD with every photo taken by PhotoPass photographers in the parks with the characters and iconic locations.

Memory Maker comes as a digital download only and comes with all of the same photos, but you get ride and dining photos as well. If you have a MagicBand and memory maker, you don't even have to add the ride photos yourself it's done automatically through long range read. If you want a DVD, you pay 29.95 for the Memory maker archive disc.

In both cases, you get all the rights to print and make copies of your photos.

Lincoln
May 12, 2007

Ladies.
What's the price difference between the monorail resorts and the Yacht/Beach Club and Boardwalk? Because those are second only to the monorail hotels as far as convenience is concerned. You can walk right into Epcot. I didn't include the Swan & Dolphin because those aren't Disney owned, and so I don't think they qualify for the free dining plan promotion. Is that right?

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

There are too many stupid people in the world. I'm not saying we should kill them all or anything. Just take the warning labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself.

Lipstick Apathy

Lincoln posted:

What's the price difference between the monorail resorts and the Yacht/Beach Club and Boardwalk? Because those are second only to the monorail hotels as far as convenience is concerned. You can walk right into Epcot. I didn't include the Swan & Dolphin because those aren't Disney owned, and so I don't think they qualify for the free dining plan promotion. Is that right?

Don't forget you can take the boat from any of those resorts you mentioned to Hollywood Studios too.

tomapot
Apr 7, 2005
Suppose you're thinkin' about a plate o' shrimp. Suddenly someone'll say, like, plate, or shrimp, or plate o' shrimp out of the blue, no explanation. No point in lookin' for one, either. It's all part of a cosmic unconciousness.
Oven Wrangler

demonR6 posted:

Don't forget you can take the boat from any of those resorts you mentioned to Hollywood Studios too.

Now that my daughter is older we prefer Yacht/Beach/Boardwalk but they are not always available with my discount. I do glom on them when I travel on business though.
When she was younger we stayed at the Fort Wilderness cabins: separate rooms for sleeping, efficiency kitchen for cooking / packing meals, boat to Magic Kingdom, cool playgrounds, campfires with Chip & Dale, and throw in the golf cart rental for kicks.

Braksgirl
Dec 25, 2010

Tens of Goons served!

Lincoln posted:

No, Swan and Dolphin do not get free dining. In fact, you can't get the dining plan at all if you stay there or Shades of Green.

The Epcot area Deluxes are comparable to the monorail hotels in price. Sometimes a little cheaper, sometimes more expensive depending on how you work it and what type of room/view you opt for.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Cais posted:

If you prepurchase, the Disney PhotoPass Archive disc costs 119. Memory maker, without the prepurchase, costs 200.

Basically, the DPAD comes as a download or a physical DVD with every photo taken by PhotoPass photographers in the parks with the characters and iconic locations.

Memory Maker comes as a digital download only and comes with all of the same photos, but you get ride and dining photos as well. If you have a MagicBand and memory maker, you don't even have to add the ride photos yourself it's done automatically through long range read. If you want a DVD, you pay 29.95 for the Memory maker archive disc.

In both cases, you get all the rights to print and make copies of your photos.
Thanks, that's pretty much what I figured out but good to get confirmation. For Memory Maker, will it automatically add ride photos for everyone in my party? That's mostly what I want it for but there's six of us so we might split up at times.

Cais
Jul 10, 2006
unicycler

Tunga posted:

Thanks, that's pretty much what I figured out but good to get confirmation. For Memory Maker, will it automatically add ride photos for everyone in my party? That's mostly what I want it for but there's six of us so we might split up at times.

The person with memory maker will see the ride photos attached to their band, the bands of any of their managed guests, and the bands of anyone friend and family linked that has shared photos with you. It only gets tricky when people you're linked with have their managed guests, you have to friend through that friend. It sounds complicated but as long as things aren't set up complicated it's pretty straightforward.

I had a family with 32 magic bands and 26 my Disney experience accounts. That one took a little while longer to track down all of the photos heh.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Cais posted:

The person with memory maker will see the ride photos attached to their band, the bands of any of their managed guests, and the bands of anyone friend and family linked that has shared photos with you. It only gets tricky when people you're linked with have their managed guests, you have to friend through that friend. It sounds complicated but as long as things aren't set up complicated it's pretty straightforward.

I had a family with 32 magic bands and 26 my Disney experience accounts. That one took a little while longer to track down all of the photos heh.
Sweet, thanks, this is exactly what I needed to know. There's six in my party, all adults, and they'll all be sharing with my account for the purpose of Fastpass+ anyway so it sounds like this will require zero additional effort.

Squack McQuack
Nov 20, 2013

by Modern Video Games
Does anybody have opinions on the Caribbean? My girlfriend is leaning towards staying there.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Squack McQuack posted:

Does anybody have opinions on the Caribbean? My girlfriend is leaning towards staying there.

All I ever hear is "It's a HUGE resort and you'll regret it by the time you're done at a park for the day".

Mykkel
Oct 8, 2012

we were somewhere around hesaim on the edge of the spinward marches when the drugs began to take hold.

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

All I ever hear is "It's a HUGE resort and you'll regret it by the time you're done at a park for the day".

This. I think the Coronado is the same price and has more convenient bus stops and the food court is better as well.

Crazyweasel
Oct 29, 2006
lazy

GF and I stayed at Caribbean last year. My first time as an adult and her first time in a resort hotel. We are fairly in shape and we didn't think it was bad, but certainly wasn't anything special (Beyond 'Cheaper than others'). We were in Jamaica, so really close the first bus stop (Which was nice on busy days), but super far from the Guest Services and Dining Center. We only went to-and-from guest Services once (Check in and check out), so that wasn't too much of an issue. Again the dining center was a bit far but it wasn't *terrible*. We never really stayed at the resort, but the theming wasn't nearly strong enough to keep us anyways. We also went Thanksgiving week, so it never got brutally hot.

End of the day, it wasn't bad for us, but I'm sure there are 100x variables we got lucky on/didn't care about that could be a dealbreaker for other people. I wouldn't dread staying there, but just recognize it is a large place so if you have issues walking for a long time, are going when its hot, or have the potential of waiting waiting waiting for buses because you are at the end of the line it may be a pass.

We are staying at Port Orleans - Riverside this year, so I'll have something to compare it to, but not until October :)

Braksgirl
Dec 25, 2010

Tens of Goons served!

My main beef is that Caribbean Beach is the only Moderate that still has double beds instead of queens. That's a deal breaker for me. I've heard that they may update the beds, but that's just a rumor. Until that day, I'll stay somewhere else. I love my husband but I have no need to sleep in that small a bed with him.

Roar
Jul 7, 2007

I got 30 points!

I GOT 30 POINTS!
I stayed at the Carribean and literally have nothing to say about it other than "it's a place to sleep and Shutter's is alright to eat at"

There are better places in my opinion. Port Orleans is my favorite when it comes to moderate.

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

It's not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me.
My aunt stayed at Caribbean once and we went and visited (we were off site) and it seemed nice, but the multiple bus stop thing would piss me off.

Squack McQuack
Nov 20, 2013

by Modern Video Games
Good to know. We're either staying at the Caribbean or the Corando.

Doronin
Nov 22, 2002

Don't be scared
My wife was given a gift card from her work so we just booked a couple of nights in September at Port Orleans French Quarter. Never stayed there, so are there any cool things we should know about it?

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

Doronin posted:

My wife was given a gift card from her work so we just booked a couple of nights in September at Port Orleans French Quarter. Never stayed there, so are there any cool things we should know about it?

They have a giant creepy jester in/near the food court!

Rahonavis
Jan 11, 2012

"Clevuh gurrrl..."

TheBigBudgetSequel posted:

And a big, badass dragon water slide by the pool.

Seriously, POFQ is my favorite moderate resort. DTD is a nice boat ride away, the rooms are pretty spacious, the food court is excellent, and it's relatively small and easy to navigate.

AnonymousNarcotics
Aug 6, 2012

we will go far into the sea
you will take me
onto your back
never look back
never look back

Arm_Fruit posted:

So, any goons going to be at WDW anytime between August 22nd to the 27th? My family is great and all, but they're slow and old. I want to really enjoy the park with some energized youngsters like me!

Hey I'll be there too at that time! We should hang out.

Our family is not slow and old you big jerk!

Doronin
Nov 22, 2002

Don't be scared

Rahonavis posted:

And a big, badass dragon water slide by the pool.

Seriously, POFQ is my favorite moderate resort. DTD is a nice boat ride away, the rooms are pretty spacious, the food court is excellent, and it's relatively small and easy to navigate.

Awesome. I can't wait to go. I forgot all about it being one of the resorts connected to Downtown Disney via boat. And I love random, creepy/weird things.

The last couple of times I've stayed on property, we've stayed at Saratoga (our DVC home resort), but the bus situation there is the worst part about it because you have to make five other stops besides your own. How are the buses for POFQ?

Roar
Jul 7, 2007

I got 30 points!

I GOT 30 POINTS!

If this isn't the fanciest and best food court you've ever seen then you best step back.

Braksgirl
Dec 25, 2010

Tens of Goons served!

Doronin posted:

Awesome. I can't wait to go. I forgot all about it being one of the resorts connected to Downtown Disney via boat. And I love random, creepy/weird things.

The last couple of times I've stayed on property, we've stayed at Saratoga (our DVC home resort), but the bus situation there is the worst part about it because you have to make five other stops besides your own. How are the buses for POFQ?

I discourage my clients from Saratoga Springs for the bus reason alone. I've not stayed at POFQ myself, but it's a travel agent favorite and we tend to be very picky about the buses. I would say that means the bus situation is acceptable.

tomapot
Apr 7, 2005
Suppose you're thinkin' about a plate o' shrimp. Suddenly someone'll say, like, plate, or shrimp, or plate o' shrimp out of the blue, no explanation. No point in lookin' for one, either. It's all part of a cosmic unconciousness.
Oven Wrangler

Squack McQuack posted:

It was nice, but I'm spoiled by staying at some of the better resorts. We were in the Barbados section which made it a bit of a trek to get to the food court, cool pool area.

Braksgirl posted:

I discourage my clients from Saratoga Springs for the bus reason alone. I've not stayed at POFQ myself, but it's a travel agent favorite and we tend to be very picky about the buses. I would say that means the bus situation is acceptable.

I'm booked at Saratoga Springs in November but I rent a car because we are impatient and love tooling around to different places.

AnonymousNarcotics posted:

Hey I'll be there too at that time! We should hang out.

Looks like I'll miss you guys for my biz trip, booking the week of August 18th. No word where I'm staying yet.

Squack McQuack
Nov 20, 2013

by Modern Video Games
Guess who just booked a stay at the Coronado. :cool:

fingerpaint
Jan 9, 2014
In about two weeks I shall be attending the parks for a couple of days. I'm not a first timer, but my 12 year niece will be. The family is going to Epcot, Magic Kingdom, and popping out to Hollywood Studios for a few choice rides. Any tips for the first timer?

Mykkel
Oct 8, 2012

we were somewhere around hesaim on the edge of the spinward marches when the drugs began to take hold.

We'll be at Sarasota Springs August 13 thru 23. Anyone know what area I should try to request so I'm sort of close to the pool, but also not on the fifth bus stop at the end of the night?

When we stayed there last fall, we were right next to the closed walkway to Downtown Disney.

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

There are too many stupid people in the world. I'm not saying we should kill them all or anything. Just take the warning labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself.

Lipstick Apathy

fingerpaint posted:

In about two weeks I shall be attending the parks for a couple of days. I'm not a first timer, but my 12 year niece will be. The family is going to Epcot, Magic Kingdom, and popping out to Hollywood Studios for a few choice rides. Any tips for the first timer?

Research and book the key rides using Fast Pass plus in advance. If you hit the parks right as they open you can go to the most important ride(s) right away and the wait may be bearable enough to skip using the FP for another ride later. I use this tactic if the wait time is 20 minutes or less. Peter Pan for example is rarely under an hour wait but if I get to the park early enough and it's half hour or less I will reschedule the FP while in line using the Disney web app and grab a slot in a different ride. Always have a second or third go-to ride in mind.

It's hot and disgusting here.. if you can find rain ponchos in your area buy them because when you get here they are not cheap near the tourist traps and buying the Mickey Mouse ponchos will cost you a vital organ for a family of four.

Yoda
Dec 11, 2003

A Jedi I am

A couple months ago I stayed at POFQ and found it quite nice, pretty rooms, compact resort (we were in the farthest possible building, on the very back so close to the farthest possible room from the buses and the walk really wasn't very long). We were on the DxDP so didn't get much more than a few snacks at the food court, but the beignets were pretty alright! Speaking of, I used DIS a lot for restaurant and fastpass planning and such so I gave a bit back, if you want a lovely goon review of DxDP here: http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3292981

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
Remember kids keep your loving hands in the ride at all times..

Man loses tips of two fingers on Pirates of the Caribbean..

Doronin
Nov 22, 2002

Don't be scared

Mykkel posted:

We'll be at Sarasota Springs August 13 thru 23. Anyone know what area I should try to request so I'm sort of close to the pool, but also not on the fifth bus stop at the end of the night?

When we stayed there last fall, we were right next to the closed walkway to Downtown Disney.

The Paddock is probably the closest you'll get to that. That area has its own pool with a quick fill soda station, but it's not nearly as big as the pool near the main area.

Although if you really want to stay near the bigger pool, and being the 4th bus stop at the end of the night is okay, then request a room in The Springs.

Yoda posted:

A couple months ago I stayed at POFQ and found it quite nice, pretty rooms, compact resort (we were in the farthest possible building, on the very back so close to the farthest possible room from the buses and the walk really wasn't very long). We were on the DxDP so didn't get much more than a few snacks at the food court, but the beignets were pretty alright! Speaking of, I used DIS a lot for restaurant and fastpass planning and such so I gave a bit back, if you want a lovely goon review of DxDP here: http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3292981

Nice. Liked your food reviews, too.

Roar
Jul 7, 2007

I got 30 points!

I GOT 30 POINTS!

demonR6 posted:

"...it's not clear how the man's fingers were injured."

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

demonR6 posted:

There's a huge complaint thread on disboards (surprise surprise, but bear with me) about how POC's been bashing people around (and soaking them to the bone). Maybe the guy's hand just fell over the side at the wrong second after getting rattled around a bit.

E: VVVV if that's what he did, that's pretty drat dumb.

Fluffy Bunnies fucked around with this message at 07:02 on Jul 12, 2014

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

Rumor has it he apparently put his hand in the water while going down the "waterfall" drop. If you are looking to mangle a digit or two, that'll do the trick.

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Rumor has it he apparently put his hand in the water while going down the "waterfall" drop. If you are looking to mangle a digit or two, that'll do the trick.

I can neither confirm or deny this but I did speak with my brother in law today about this and I can say stumpy indeed do something stupid.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I take it the "waterfall" is not actually made of water?

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Tunga posted:

I take it the "waterfall" is not actually made of water?

It's really nothing more than a slight drop. It's completely dark and picture this boob sticking his hand into the water being cute. Like Small World the waterline in dangerously close and there is always someone who inevitably sticks their hand over the side when they should know better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roar
Jul 7, 2007

I got 30 points!

I GOT 30 POINTS!
To be fair, the water drop at Pirates is pretty jarring for such a tame ride. Anyone who puts their fingers over the side would definitely get wrecked once they hit the bottom.

That doesn't excuse ol' stumpy, though. He would have to put his hand far over the side of the boat, which isn't easy to do unconsciously.