Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Cute, adorable, and creepy at the same time!

BonoMan posted:

Is Sigourney Weaver photoshopped into that photo? She looks to be standing behind Turturro but in front of his robe. I can't tell if it's someone else's robe bend him that just blends in well.

Haaha ,holy poo poo, I was so distracted being amused in how she is the whitest person there,to the grade that it looks as she is dressed for a Halloween party, that I didn't notice that detail.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DNS
Mar 11, 2009

by Smythe

This feels to me like one of those trailers HBO does for like their monthly schedule.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZCTdUC-LxYk

Not impressed, and also is Bale doing an American accent? I mean I guess he might as well. I always get irritated at movies set in antiquity where everyone speaks in received pronunciation for some reason.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.
It's really sad that he seems to be going for such an overt throwback to Hollywood epic ensemble films, rather than going the Aronofsky route and just plumbing ancient mythology for ideas.

I would love to see a version of Genesis that included Lylith, and Eve 1. You know, Eve 1, the new woman God is making for Adam when Adam accidentally sees her basically unfinished and becoming so traumatized he can't have sex with her. Necessitating God destroy Eve 1 and make Eve 2, the Eve we all know and hate.

I would also like to finally see a proper cinematic adaptation of either the Táin Bó Cúailnge. Or a new crack at the Nibelungenlied

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

What the hell, I'll just eat some trash.

Any of y'all pining for an actually good movie about Ancient Egypt should check out Faraon. Also whitewashed but since it's Poland in the '60s you gotta figure they didn't have too deep a bench. Amazing visuals, never shies away from the weirdness of that culture, down to totally inscrutable hair.

Here's a pretty bad trailer:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c-lPTkkpiTw

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

It's not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me.

penismightier posted:

Any of y'all pining for an actually good movie about Ancient Egypt should check out Faraon. Also whitewashed but since it's Poland in the '60s you gotta figure they didn't have too deep a bench. Amazing visuals, never shies away from the weirdness of that culture, down to totally inscrutable hair.

As someone with a love of all things Ancient Egypt in film, I need this in my life.

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

What the hell, I'll just eat some trash.

TheBigBudgetSequel posted:

As someone with a love of all things Ancient Egypt in film, I need this in my life.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iDUgigISy98

Has english subs if you watch on youtube.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

penismightier posted:

Funny timing, I saw a screenshot from that today and it piqued my interest:

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:

penismightier posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iDUgigISy98

Has english subs if you watch on youtube.

Seems distinctly Pasolini-esque. Thanks for sharing. This looks really visually striking.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
I wonder what Bale will sound like when he does his Moses voice.

zandert33
Sep 20, 2002

Jay Dub posted:

Four if you count his Jesus-as-a-kaiju film called Helena Handbag, which will never actually get made, no matter how much he talks about it.

Also within the last couple days he's announced he's working on a new project "Moose Jaws".

His career has taken a turn for the very strange, but I guess you can't say he's lazy.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Vagabundo posted:

And then there's this guy from Training Day.

Cliff Curtis often plays Arabs or Latinos in Hollywood films and TV shows. He's actually Maori, which makes him Polynesian.

They don't write many roles for Polynesians.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
I thought there were a ton of films coming out of Polywood though?

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

penismightier posted:

I was just thinking about this.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

I wonder what Bale will sound like when he does his Moses voice.

Please tell me he uses that awful Batman voice for Moses. I can see him now, growling through his teeth, spit flying:

LET! MY! PEOPLE! GO!

G-III
Mar 4, 2001

DNS posted:

This feels to me like one of those trailers HBO does for like their monthly schedule.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZCTdUC-LxYk

Not impressed, and also is Bale doing an American accent? I mean I guess he might as well. I always get irritated at movies set in antiquity where everyone speaks in received pronunciation for some reason.
This looks like the laziest hollywood movie I've seen in years.

Slate Action
Feb 13, 2012

by exmarx
Anyone have a guess for the running time of Exodus? I'm gonna say 170 minutes.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

K. Waste posted:

Also, he had Jew horns:

I'm really agitated by Hollywood's insensitive depiction of Jews without horns.

I can't tell from your post if you know this but the Moses horns wasn't due to Europe's anti-semitism, it's due to a bad translation. Apparently they took rays of light coming from his head to mean horns and didn't correct this for a long time so statues and paintings in the renaissance showed him with horns. At least that's what more than one Art History professor taught me.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
Is it a common bit of anti-semitism to assume jews have horns?

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Mr. Squishy posted:

Is it a common bit of anti-semitism to assume jews have horns?
According to Borat, yes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6E6m2zh0MBc

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:

kiimo posted:

I can't tell from your post if you know this but the Moses horns wasn't due to Europe's anti-semitism, it's due to a bad translation. Apparently they took rays of light coming from his head to mean horns and didn't correct this for a long time so statues and paintings in the renaissance showed him with horns. At least that's what more than one Art History professor taught me.

Yeah, I had actually tried to link an image of a statue of a horned Moses, but it didn't work.

But, yeah, basically, like a lot of history, the story of horned Moses basically comes down to a mistranslation. But you'll noticed that there really is an overt attempt to characterize Moses as 'subhuman' in ways beyond being horned. It was actually a very conventional belief in those days - in part due to the mistranslation - that present day peoples were actually the descendents of basically a more monster-like being. The Greeks and Romans had their belief in the Golden Age of giant men, and there's even the potential influence of apocryphal or non-canonical Biblical literature, which are more consistent with similar pagan mythology in this regard, and where significant figures do in fact sometimes appear with horns.

Slasherfan
Dec 2, 2003
IS IT WRONG THAT I ONCE WROTE A HORROR STORY ABOUT THE BUDDIES? YOU KNOW, THE TALKING PUPPIES?

Here is the official one sheet for The Expendables 3 which has to be one of the worst posters I've seen in a long time!

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.
Like, they should have just put out this poster and nothing else:

It's, by a mile, the best thing to come out of the whole lovely Expendables "franchise".

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org

Slasherfan posted:

Here is the official one sheet for The Expendables 3 which has to be one of the worst posters I've seen in a long time!
Looks good!

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Arnold is looking a little shopped, but I generally don't see an issue with it.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
Giant floating Mel Gibson is the best.

e: and Snipes looks like he fell right out of To Wong Foo still in full drag

Slasherfan
Dec 2, 2003
IS IT WRONG THAT I ONCE WROTE A HORROR STORY ABOUT THE BUDDIES? YOU KNOW, THE TALKING PUPPIES?

Harlock posted:

Arnold is looking a little shopped, but I generally don't see an issue with it.

I just think it looks boring. The white background is horrible, also everyone looks way too happy on it.

rawillkill
Aug 15, 2009

Emma Watson is what runs trivia teams.
I know it's not a poster but we keep posting the Hunger Games stuff in this thread

So have some of this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k4e-qJdEAXo

Hopefully their promotional posters will be just as good as Catching Fire...

Slasherfan
Dec 2, 2003
The posters for The Expendables 2 looked a lot more appealing to the eye. The posters for 3 looks like something someone slapped together in 30 seconds.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Slasherfan posted:

I just think it looks boring. The white background is horrible, also everyone looks way too happy on it.

What kind of bullshit is this? Who cares - its a crazy action movie - being super happy is awesome.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
The 3 poster is a good expression of how much effort they put into these pieces of poo poo.

kdrudy
Sep 19, 2009

Stallone looks like the tallest on every single one.

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org
I like how mad people get at this silly action series.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer

Cage posted:

I like how defensive people get at this silly action movie.

Slasherfan
Dec 2, 2003

Cage posted:

I'm not even mad, just think that poster is bad.

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!
I personally like that the Expendables 3 poster looks like a bunch of people standing around laughing about how ridiculous this is, because the less serious that franchise takes itself, the better.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Vargo posted:

I personally like that the Expendables 3 poster looks like a bunch of people standing around laughing about how ridiculous this is, because the less serious that franchise takes itself, the better.

But they should also be able to come up with better jokes than:
Trench: I'll be back.
Church: You've been back enough. I'll be back.
Trench: Yippee-ki-yay.

fenix down
Jan 12, 2005

rawillkill posted:

I know it's not a poster but we keep posting the Hunger Games stuff in this thread

So have some of this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k4e-qJdEAXo

Hopefully their promotional posters will be just as good as Catching Fire...
I don't get why Peeta is allowed to be alive.

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

fenix down posted:

I don't get why Peeta is allowed to be alive.

This is a big plot point in the third book.

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012
I think that most recent Expendables 3 poster does a good job of making it seem like a lot of stars just by there not being a lot of horizontal space.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Avril Lavigne
May 29, 2006

Slasherfan posted:

All I think when I look at that is this: