Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Grapplejack posted:

Are you in California? A lot of national banks have longer hours in California for some weird reason.

No I'm in Virginia now and until recently was in New Jersey.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ogmius815
Aug 25, 2005
centrism is a hell of a drug

My local bank branch is open 7 days a week and until 7 pm on weekdays so I don't know what you guys are talking about.

Swan Oat
Oct 9, 2012

I was selected for my skill.
Do you need an account at a bank for them to give you change? There are a lot of unbanked people in the US.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Swan Oat posted:

Do you need an account at a bank for them to give you change? There are a lot of unbanked people in the US.

Most banks don't, since cash upfront is pretty low risk for them.

asdf32
May 15, 2010

I lust for childrens' deaths. Ask me about how I don't care if my kids die.

Nintendo Kid posted:

Most banks don't, since cash upfront is pretty low risk for them.

Some banks try to charge their own customers for using human tellers. I doubt most banks give quarters to non-customers.

karthun
Nov 16, 2006

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

asdf32 posted:

Some banks try to charge their own customers for using human tellers. I doubt most banks give quarters to non-customers.

I have done about 3 months of bicycle touring over the last couple of years. Not once have I ever have a problem getting a 10 dollar roll of quarters from a bank.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

asdf32 posted:

They're not just "giving" it to you, you're giving them straight legit cash first. It's extremely low risk, even more low-risk than doing a withdrawal against an account held at the bank.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

asdf32 posted:

Once you have cash, you don't have to go to a bank. You can go into any random store.

The whole bank argument is presuming someone with a bank account who mainly uses a bank card instead of cash. We can assume someone without a bank account would primarily be using cash and thus be generating small change as well as have multiple options to break those bills as needed. One of the posters who claimed to be in support of this service cited lack of cash as an obstacle to being able to do something so simple as to obtain quarters in a timely fashion.

Which is why it's really dumb to try to derail this into an argument about low income people and the banking system. As demonstrated by the swift collapse of this venture/stunt, the target market of people whose best option for breaking bills is the internet is very small. The fact that they even tried such a ridiculous business plan fits into the spirit of this thread, which is mocking the exuberant cluelessness of Silicon Valley culture.

boner confessor fucked around with this message at 17:19 on Jun 30, 2014

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

In a surprising plot twist the laundry quarters startup recently died.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

etalian posted:

In a surprising plot twist the laundry quarters startup recently died.

Yeah we posted about that last week when that happened. They stayed open for less than 7 days and had about 10 customers when they shut down.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Nintendo Kid posted:

If by token systems you mean medallion systems, those usually only apply to cabs that are allowed to roam the streets and pick up people on the sidewalk waving for a cab. They almost never apply to cab services where the riders call in advance, whether by normal phone call or an app or email.

There's really nothing wrong with most medallion systems.

Medallion systems are actually really important in a variety of aspects.

Most importantly they are a check on the total number of cabs that can be out on the city streets at one time. Locations like NYC have major congestion issues and increasing the number of vehicles on the street deteriorates service. It doesn't help to have twice as many cabs on the streets and everything gridlocked. Of course this argument applies equally to personal vehicles, which don't need medallions, but are also taxed and tolled through the nose in NYC to generally discourage their use.

NYC of course has rather egregious medallion pricing - it can be over $1m for the medallion - but it's also the place where congestion is the worst, so that's more or less working as intended. And it's also probably one of the places where taxis are most used, so there's certainly an aspect of desirability there. It's just a supply and demand situation, you have tight physical constraints on the supply (limited by congestion) and very high demand from taxicab drivers.

They also ensure that background checks have been run on the drivers, and act as a simple form of bonding. If you gently caress up the city could void your $1m medallion and auction it off to someone else.

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 16:19 on Jul 2, 2014

egg tats
Apr 3, 2010

Paul MaudDib posted:

Medallion systems are actually really important in a variety of aspects.

Most importantly they are a check on the total number of cabs that can be out on the city streets at one time. Locations like NYC have major congestion issues and increasing the number of vehicles on the street deteriorates service. It doesn't help to have twice as many cabs on the streets and everything gridlocked. Of course this argument applies equally to personal vehicles, which don't need medallions, but are also taxed and tolled through the nose in NYC to generally discourage their use.

They're also a simple form of bonding to ensure that background checks have been run on the drivers.

That's all pretty correct but I live in a city a fraction of new yorks size, and us having a medallion system makes no sense.

That also doesn't touch on companies buying all of the taxi permits and then selling them to drivers for a profit.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

senae posted:

That's all pretty correct but I live in a city a fraction of new yorks size, and us having a medallion system makes no sense.

Why do you think that? I mean, if I wanted to open up a food truck I'd have to get a license that certifies that my truck is suitable and sanitary to prepare food for the public. What's wrong with expecting people who make a living picking up strangers on the street to obey some minimum equipment/safety standards, have background checks, keep insurance policies, etc? That's what a medallion system is doing in a small town. You can mentally replace "medallion" with "taxicab license" if that helps you.

I mean, do you really think that making a living giving strangers rides should be equally-to-less regulated than (say) driving a semi truck?

Most of that argument still applies to dispatch-service taxis/limos, not just hailed taxis. Dispatched cabs should be regulated too, but a service you call is inherently a little less sketch than sticking out your arm and getting into a strange vehicle. I think it's totally reasonable for cities to expect that a little due diligence be done on those drivers and their equipment.

And at the end of the day that's really the problem with UberX, it doesn't have the surety of a professional dispatched driver nor the regulation that keeps hailed-cab systems safe. It's "disruptive", which mostly means it's a cute way to sidestep the consumer protections, insurance, etc that the system requires. Which is great until an Uber driver in their shitbox unsafe car gets in an accident and kills someone and there's no insurance to pay out, etc.

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 16:54 on Jul 2, 2014

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
Yep, all these 'disruptive' appsharing services, or whatever their nomenclature is, are doing is making money for the founders until the law catches up with them. Airbnb, uber, etc are all taking on massive risks that they're just offloading to the suckers trying to make a quick buck.

I mean look at airbnb - they offer what, a million dollar policy? How far will that go when a airbnb visitor breaks plumbing in a highrise condo and floods several floors below the unit? Or causes a fire that damages/smokes out floors above? Same with Uber - what happens to the passenger when an uninsured driver hits them and the Uber driver's insurance coverage doesn't apply to commercial use (which it definitely doesn't)? Or when the Uber driver is at fault and there's a 10+ million award in damages?

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

mastershakeman posted:

Yep, all these 'disruptive' appsharing services, or whatever their nomenclature is, are doing is making money for the founders until the law catches up with them. Airbnb, uber, etc are all taking on massive risks that they're just offloading to the suckers trying to make a quick buck.

I mean look at airbnb - they offer what, a million dollar policy? How far will that go when a airbnb visitor breaks plumbing in a highrise condo and floods several floors below the unit? Or causes a fire that damages/smokes out floors above? Same with Uber - what happens to the passenger when an uninsured driver hits them and the Uber driver's insurance coverage doesn't apply to commercial use (which it definitely doesn't)? Or when the Uber driver is at fault and there's a 10+ million award in damages?

We could even talk about more mundane stuff like "does the meter determining how much I pay actually measure time/distance correctly?" If something as simple as the scale at a grocery store checkout or a gas pump is regularly tested and certified, then so should the meters in an Uber. I used to do precision calibration, and it would be very easy to hide slight irregularities in favor of the company, and no one would be the wiser.

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

Paul MaudDib posted:

You can mentally replace "medallion" with "taxicab license" if that helps you.

No, you can't. They're fundamentally different approaches. One limits the number of cabs (NY medallion approach) and one doesn't (DC license approach.)

In both cases, cab conditions and driver investigations are regulated. One is just artificially limiting supply.

(Also, if there were more cabs in NY you might see somewhat fewer drivers, although probably not an enormous amount less.)

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

senae posted:

That also doesn't touch on companies buying all of the taxi permits and then selling them to drivers for a profit.

It still makes sense to have a standard medallion system because you don't want as many people as possible aimlessly driving the city looking for fares.

Kalman posted:

No, you can't. They're fundamentally different approaches. One limits the number of cabs (NY medallion approach) and one doesn't (DC license approach.)

In both cases, cab conditions and driver investigations are regulated. One is just artificially limiting supply.

(Also, if there were more cabs in NY you might see somewhat fewer drivers, although probably not an enormous amount less.)

Limiting supply of cabs that can drive around all the time looking for fares on the sidewalk, not limiting number of cabs. All other forms of taxicab service are effectively unrestricted in number allowed and the licensing is much cheaper.

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro

etalian posted:

Uber does have a pretty good niche especially in places like the Bay Area that are underserved by taxis or even if you can find a taxi have lots of annoying limitations such as finding a taxi to drive out of SF.
Also Thailand. I love the taxis and I take them and tip well and so on, but not everyone is keen to ride over the speed limit in an outdated Corolla with no seat belts and a driver who just got to town last week and who doesn't know where anything is, so Uber is very good for Western tourists or business clients who are passing through and demand a modicum of expertise and safety. Hell, even I use it personally sometimes when I'm across town and 4-5 taxis in a row refuse to drive me home because :reasons: without demanding an off-meter fare that's 300% the normal price because I'm a different race and coming from a part of town that's considered tourist country.

Though, as mentioned, I can't wait until they try to expand to Phuket. You guys will love the eventual Youtube videos of that. It'll be non-stop draggings and lead pipe beatings of Uber drivers by stupid thugs.

radical meme
Apr 17, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
I bet everybody thought Justine Tunney might give up or fade away when she couldn't even get 150 signatures on her petition. Wrong, she's taken to twitter to further her demands and has even come up with some new artwork in the pursuit of her cause.

quote:

1. Retire all government employees with full pensions.
2. Transfer sovereignty to the tech industry.
3. Appoint Eric Schmidt CEO of America.

radical meme fucked around with this message at 02:41 on Jul 9, 2014

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006
I bet if Mussolini were alive he'd make the websites run on time too.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

quote:

“Unsuccessful people have this nasty habit of blaming everyone else for their problems,” wrote the former co-founder of Occupy Wall Street.

lol

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Willie Tomg posted:

I bet if Mussolini were alive he'd make the websites run on time too.

Would trade Mussolini for Lowtax in a heartbeat.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

radical meme posted:

I bet everybody thought Justine Tunney might give up or fade away when she couldn't even get 150 signatures on her petition.

People pay this person? For reals?

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid
I'm seriously surprised that repeatedly attaching your employer's name to your very crazy, very public online ramblings isn't enough to get you fired.

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

FilthyImp posted:

People pay this person? For reals?

Eric Schmidt pays her, which is basically a disqualifying feature for the cause for which he is being feted

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

WhiskeyJuvenile posted:

Eric Schmidt pays her, which is basically a disqualifying feature for the cause for which he is being feted

You gotta remember that a lot of engineers are literal children.

I know someone who just started a new engineering job and posted this on facebook:

quote:

Here was me thinking that the mental age of my fellows would rise above 12 once I joined the engineering world at large. Today at lunch my coworkers were having a spirited discussion about the possibility of having a urinal cake shaped like a bullseye so that you could play laser tag with it, only to stop when it occurred to them that they could inadvertently splash in their mouth like that. They're mostly 30-40+. Needless to say I'm the only girl in the office

e: And for the record I doubt she's upset, likely bemused at their childishness.

Can I see this type of person making childish "My boss can make the website work, he should run the country!" photoshops? Yes, yes I can.

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 15:38 on Jul 9, 2014

on the left
Nov 2, 2013
I Am A Gigantic Piece Of Shit

Literally poo from a diseased human butt

Paul MaudDib posted:

You gotta remember that a lot of engineers are literal children.

I know someone who just started a new engineering job and posted this on facebook:

Can I see this type of person making childish "My boss can make the website work, he should run the country!" photoshops? Yes, yes I can.

Yeah, your friend sounds like a child who won't let anyone else have fun with stupid ideas. It's terrible that they inflicted her on the other engineers.

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

That seems pretty inoffensive. I've heard way dumber work chat and I've worked at places with business suits as work attire.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP
The urinal question has already been solved anyway.

ZorajitZorajit
Sep 15, 2013

No static at all...

computer parts posted:

The urinal question has already been solved anyway.

That's also why they print a fly on the inside of urinals. It keeps "spillage" down. *The more you know*

Swan Oat
Oct 9, 2012

I was selected for my skill.
This is part of the conversation Justine Tunney had in her renewed call for Erich Schmidt to be CEO of America:

lmao

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

You really are a louse...

Swan Oat posted:

This is part of the conversation Justine Tunney had in her renewed call for Erich Schmidt to be CEO of America:

lmao

Good point, turn the American Regime into a Scandinavian social democracy and find the modern equivalent of Emperor Norton and crown him Emperor of America. It's not perfect but I'd be cool with it.

FRINGE
May 23, 2003
title stolen for lf posting

shrike82 posted:

That seems pretty inoffensive. I've heard way dumber work chat and I've worked at places with business suits as work attire.
Yeah, but, dont you work in finance? With actual b-schoolers?

Ogmius815
Aug 25, 2005
centrism is a hell of a drug

DrProsek posted:

Good point, turn the American Regime into a Scandinavian social democracy and find the modern equivalent of Emperor Norton and crown him Emperor of America. It's not perfect but I'd be cool with it.

No it's an awful point because the Scandinavian countries are weak constitutional monarchies and crazy OWS lady is arguing for a very functional dictatorship.

on the left
Nov 2, 2013
I Am A Gigantic Piece Of Shit

Literally poo from a diseased human butt

FRINGE posted:

Yeah, but, dont you work in finance? With actual b-schoolers?

People who go to b-school are generally pretty smart and well-rounded, and they often have those liberal arts degrees that are apparently required to be able to think critically!

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

Guilty as charged.
I've been involved in academic research and done part-time work in retail and services as a youth. I've dated people in the creative industry and seen the dumb fw fw work emails that get circulated.

I'm curious what workplace doesn't have the occasional dumb watercooler talk. And to preempt you, it's different from offensive chatter (racist, sexist etc.).

FRINGE
May 23, 2003

on the left posted:

People who go to b-school are generally pretty smart and well-rounded, and they often have those liberal arts degrees that are apparently required to be able to think critically!
If they are getting undergrad degrees in business, they didnt get a more robust degree in anything else (most likely).

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/04/17/education/edlife/edl-17business-t.html?pagewanted=all

quote:

Business majors spend less time preparing for class than do students in any other broad field, according to the most recent National Survey of Student Engagement: nearly half of seniors majoring in business say they spend fewer than 11 hours a week studying outside class. In their new book “Academically Adrift: Limited Learning on College Campuses,” the sociologists Richard Arum and Josipa Roksa report that business majors had the weakest gains during the first two years of college on a national test of writing and reasoning skills. And when business students take the GMAT, the entry examination for M.B.A. programs, they score lower than students in every other major.

This is not a small corner of academe. The family of majors under the business umbrella — including finance, accounting, marketing, management and “general business” — accounts for just over 20 percent, or more than 325,000, of all bachelor’s degrees awarded annually in the United States, making it the most popular field of study.

... a Ford Foundation report warned that too many undergraduate business students chose their majors “by default.” Business programs also attract more than their share of students who approach college in purely instrumental terms, as a plausible path to a job, not out of curiosity about, say, Ronald Coase’s theory of the firm.

... At the beginning of freshman year and end of sophomore year, students in the study took the Collegiate Learning Assessment, a national essay test that assesses students’ writing and reasoning skills. During those first two years of college, business students’ scores improved less than any other group’s. Communication, education and social-work majors had slightly better gains; humanities, social science, and science and engineering students saw much stronger improvement.

shrike82 posted:

Guilty as charged.
Even though we dont agree on a a variety of things, I wasnt targeting you. I was making fun of the general business community where sub-mediocrity seems to be highly respected (and rewarded because :patriot:).

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

For the top MBA programs, you'll see that the majority of students didn't do business for undergrad.

FRINGE
May 23, 2003

shrike82 posted:

For the top MBA programs, you'll see that the majority of students didn't do business for undergrad.
Without looking I would guess psych, phil, and math. (All three need something to do after undergrad :v:)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

Why? I did CS for undergrad and I'm doing an MBA. I have friends that did the joint JD-MBA program.

Anyway, for Harvard for example, 56% of incoming MBA students came with STEM/social sciences undergrad. The rest were business/econ majors.

• Locked thread