Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Are you getting the Wii U?
This poll is closed.
Yes 9031 65.25%
No 1191 8.60%
Maybe 808 5.84%
I'm an idiot 460 3.32%
Waluigi 1603 11.58%
Waa 748 5.40%
Total: 13841 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Oh man finally get to play W101. :woop:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

Shovel Knight was well worth the wait!

Fremry
Nov 4, 2003
So I have a Gamepad, bought 2 Wiimotes/nunchucks, and one Pro controller. What games can/can't I play with 4 players. I can't seem to find a definitive list of what controllers are supported in what combination for games.

bef
Mar 2, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
There are no more refurbished wii remote+nunchuk controllers :supaburn:

Suaimhneas
Nov 19, 2005

That's how you get tinnitus

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Every room in the game has it's own "Page". You can look down at the gamepad and see tips other players left for that specific room (and you can leave your own for that room).

You get a constant stream of interaction and it's kinda nice, though it's usually just filled with puns based on the per sons a avatar :v:

I'm surprised, I thought most of the posts would be "Try jumping" wherever there's a bottomless pit

Fremry
Nov 4, 2003

bef posted:

There are no more refurbished wii remote+nunchuk controllers :supaburn:

Well that makes sense. My order from June 27th still hasn't shipped. I'm trying to get a hold of them, but they are apparently not taking calls.

O__O
Jan 26, 2011

by Cowcaster
I know the ubisoft one just ended, but how often are there sales like that on the eshop? Monthly? Weekly? Whenever they feel like it?

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

O__O posted:

I know the ubisoft one just ended, but how often are there sales like that on the eshop? Monthly? Weekly? Whenever they feel like it?

Whenever they feel like it, so depending on the publisher they can range from "every other week" to "almost never".

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations
If I buy a movie or tv episode on Amazon Instant and want to watch it on the Wii U, does it stream or can I download it to my Wii U's hard drive?

Nolgthorn
Jan 30, 2001

The pendulum of the mind alternates between sense and nonsense

Fremry posted:

So I have a Gamepad, bought 2 Wiimotes/nunchucks, and one Pro controller. What games can/can't I play with 4 players. I can't seem to find a definitive list of what controllers are supported in what combination for games.

You have lots of controllers, generally anything you can play on the gamepad can be played with the pro controller.

I prefer the Wiimote when it's available for controlling, but it seems only ever necessary for Wii games anymore. A lot of games support all. Some support only a few. Once in a while a game only supports a combination. But, you have like lots of controllers.

You can play 4-p Mario Kart 8 and probably Mario 3D World without any issue for sure.

RumbleFish
Dec 20, 2007

Speaking of controllers, is the battery life on the Pro infinite? Because holy poo poo, I've been using mine as my main controller since I bought the system in late May and haven't had to charge it once.

Bass Bottles
Jan 14, 2006

BOSS BATTLES DID NOTHING WRONG

Spacebump posted:

If I buy a movie or tv episode on Amazon Instant and want to watch it on the Wii U, does it stream or can I download it to my Wii U's hard drive?

Streaming only. I think Amazon only lets you download videos to Amazon hardware (and maybe a specific model of Tivo).

Zyste
Jan 8, 2002

"Do you want this back?"

Bass Bottles posted:

Streaming only. I think Amazon only lets you download videos to Amazon hardware (and maybe a specific model of Tivo).

You can download Amazon videos to PCs(using a special player) and iPads. I was never quite sure why you can't do the same for PS3, Wii U, etc.

Wild Knight
Mar 27, 2010

Foul villain! I do not flee. I will never turn my back on you and run away!

[he says, running away]
Shovel Knight is one of the best impulse "I've had a lovely day and wanna buy a new game to cheer up" buys I've ever made.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

RumbleFish posted:

Speaking of controllers, is the battery life on the Pro infinite? Because holy poo poo, I've been using mine as my main controller since I bought the system in late May and haven't had to charge it once.

Just about. I've had mine for 6 months and only had to charge it twice.

It also makes for a great PC controller. :)

Fremry
Nov 4, 2003

Nolgthorn posted:

You have lots of controllers, generally anything you can play on the gamepad can be played with the pro controller.

I prefer the Wiimote when it's available for controlling, but it seems only ever necessary for Wii games anymore. A lot of games support all. Some support only a few. Once in a while a game only supports a combination. But, you have like lots of controllers.

You can play 4-p Mario Kart 8 and probably Mario 3D World without any issue for sure.

Yeah, I got them all cheap though. Gamepad with the $200 refurb Wii U, 2 refurb Wiimote/nunchucks for $40 total, and a Pro controller on SA mart for $30. A bunch of my friends and I used to play a lot of Mario Kart 64 in college and we're probably all going to get together for Mario Kart 8.

Other than that, I figure Gamepad for single player games that utilize it well/main controller, pro controller for games that do not utilize the gamepad well or for some other reason the gamepad is not ideal, 2 Wiimotes for casual games on the Wii (Wii Sports, etc.), and then the combination of any of the above for multiplayer games, hoping that some combination of the above is supported in said game.

As I've been saying, all of the above, MK8, DK: Tropical Freeze, New Super Mario Bros, SM3DW, Shovel Knight and Wind Waker HD cost me a grand total of $400, because of refurb parts, used controller, Target sale of buy 2 get 1 and a buying a game code for Wind Waker. It seems like a lot, but in terms of what I paid for all of this, it was a total steal.

Edit: and that doesn't count the club nintendo points and platinum status I have.

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

SeANMcBAY posted:

Just about. I've had mine for 6 months and only had to charge it twice.

It also makes for a great PC controller. :)

I don't own one, how would I do this? Are there drivers like with DS3, or would I be fudging around with xpadder?

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

My WiiU is coming on Friday, and my friend is borrowing my Wii. The only Virtual Console game I have on it is Street Fighter or something, and I don't care too much about transferring it (especially since I homebrewed that Wii.) Can I just copy all of my gamesaves to the SD card and be good to go?

Commissar Ken
Dec 9, 2006

Children STILL love me, dammit!

Pomp posted:

I don't own one, how would I do this? Are there drivers like with DS3, or would I be fudging around with xpadder?

I tried to gently caress around with Windows 8's Bluetooth poo poo to get it to work but it'd double cross me everytime. Said gently caress it and got this thing. http://www.amazon.com/Wireless-Wii-...o+controller+pc

There is a switch on the side that says Dinput or Xinput, switch it over to Xinput and it just works.

Bass Bottles
Jan 14, 2006

BOSS BATTLES DID NOTHING WRONG

Scholtz posted:

My WiiU is coming on Friday, and my friend is borrowing my Wii. The only Virtual Console game I have on it is Street Fighter or something, and I don't care too much about transferring it (especially since I homebrewed that Wii.) Can I just copy all of my gamesaves to the SD card and be good to go?

Only for certain games, mostly just games without online game modes.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Is the D-pad on the Pro controller awesome, or at least as good as the one on the Gamepad (which isn't good)? I've been using the D-pad a lot and am getting weary about thrashing the Gamepad so much, since it's not easily replaced.

v---- poo poo. Why does it all need to be so stiff? They nailed it with the SNES controller. Should've just kept the D-pad and face buttons like that on all future controllers.

enojy fucked around with this message at 06:58 on Jul 10, 2014

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

The D-Pad, sticks, and face buttons on the Pro are all identical to the ones on the Gamepad. Literally the same parts, I'm pretty sure.

PrBacterio
Jul 19, 2000

enojy posted:

[I] am getting weary about thrashing the Gamepad so much, since it's not easily replaced.
This is literally the only reason why I'm debating buying a Pro Controller, but the drat things are rather expensive and I've plenty of Wiimotes for all my local multiplayer needs so it'd literally be only to lessen the wear on the Gamepad :ohdear:

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Scroll, then. There are other posts than these.

Commissar Ken posted:

I tried to gently caress around with Windows 8's Bluetooth poo poo to get it to work but it'd double cross me everytime. Said gently caress it and got this thing. http://www.amazon.com/Wireless-Wii-...o+controller+pc

There is a switch on the side that says Dinput or Xinput, switch it over to Xinput and it just works.

Yes, but even better, switch it to the Dinput side, and you can use it as a PS3 controller. Now Vanquish handles like a dream.

Mr. Neutron
Sep 15, 2012

~I'M THE BEST~

RumbleFish posted:

Officially it is 80 hours but it has to be at least double that - haven't charged it yet either, pretty sure I put more than 80 hours into MK8 by now and it is still showing 2 bars (I do not use rumble tho).

It is like, the complete opposite of the standard gamepad :v:

The DPAD on the Pro Controller is extremely stiff and uncomfortable, I originally thought I would also use it on PC for MK9 and Injustice but nah.

Tyma
Dec 22, 2004

I love Leinster and I couldn't be happier that Jordie Barrett has signed with them on a short term deal.

enojy posted:

Why does it all need to be so stiff? They nailed it with the SNES controller. Should've just kept the D-pad and face buttons like that on all future controllers.

I'm sure a man with a Pop'n Music avatar can appreciate the wonders of opening something up and sticking bits of cardboard in it!

Nolgthorn
Jan 30, 2001

This is some really good hardware that is going way under appreciated, the gamepad is ridiculous and the way everything seems to just work is fantastic. The price for entry was low. God drat I love my Wii U.

Fremry
Nov 4, 2003

Nolgthorn posted:

This is some really good hardware that is going way under appreciated, the gamepad is ridiculous and the way everything seems to just work is fantastic. The price for entry was low. God drat I love my Wii U.

I thought it was going to be a huge gimmick, but I've actually used the screen on the gamepad way more than I thought. In NSMBU, I used the off-screen play a whole bunch to get through a level or two when the TV was in use and I didn't want to watch the show. And I LOVE having all of the menus available in Wind Waker. It makes item management, the map, and changing wind direction much better.

PS1 Hagrid
Sep 17, 2007

Mario Kart taunted me enough so I cave in and bought a Wii U used. It's in a pristine condition and everything is good. The previous owner said he had purchased a couple of games from the eshop but wisely formatted the system before handing it over.

However, Nintendo is legendarily bad at internet. At least on the 3DS the games are tied to the system rather than the user account, meaning that on my 3DS that I also bought used & formatted I could just go to the download history and redownload any purchased games. Does this also work on the Wii U? Can I see the system's purchase history somewhere and redownload the games that the other guy bought?

Or did Nintendo accidentally do something right and it's not possible?

Brasseye
Feb 13, 2009
I really like the pro controller for most things but I find it uncomfortable to use for the mario games where you are constantly holding down sprint. It hurts my thumb a bit and I found myself accidentally letting go of sprint and falling to my death a lot when playing NSMBU for an hour or so. The game pad was fine though.

Zyste
Jan 8, 2002

"Do you want this back?"

Fremry posted:

I thought it was going to be a huge gimmick, but I've actually used the screen on the gamepad way more than I thought. In NSMBU, I used the off-screen play a whole bunch to get through a level or two when the TV was in use and I didn't want to watch the show. And I LOVE having all of the menus available in Wind Waker. It makes item management, the map, and changing wind direction much better.

Agreed. Having the menus for easy access without pausing games is fantastic. Shovel Knight's relics and Unepic's customizable quick menu are so simple, but incredibly effective. Pikmin 3's micromanagement is great, and for the three best (multiplayer) mini games of Nintendo Land: Luigi's Ghost Mansion, Mario Chase, and Sweet Day; They couldn't even work without it.

Nintendo gets knocked a lot for going outside the mainstream too much, but they know how to deliver a unique gaming experience.

Crawfish
Dec 11, 2012

If the account that bought the stuff isn't on there, chances are you aren't able to.

I had someone buy the Mega Man X games at one point on an account they made on my system without my knowledge. At a later point I deleted the account permanently thinking the stuff would be tied to the system and now have no way to redownload them.

Nolgthorn
Jan 30, 2001

Fremry posted:

It's like having a gigantic DS.

Fremry
Nov 4, 2003

Nolgthorn posted:

It's like having a gigantic DS.

Yeah, except for some reason I find it more useable than the DS. I feel like I rarely use the second screen on either the DS or 3DS, but use the gamepad quite a bit. Although, I've only had my Wii U for like 2 weeks and have only played NSMBU and about 9 hours of Wind Waker HD, so take that with a grain of salt.

Niemat
Mar 21, 2011

I gave that pitch vibrato. Pitches love vibrato.

Fremry posted:

Yeah, except for some reason I find it more useable than the DS. I feel like I rarely use the second screen on either the DS or 3DS, but use the gamepad quite a bit. Although, I've only had my Wii U for like 2 weeks and have only played NSMBU and about 9 hours of Wind Waker HD, so take that with a grain of salt.

I have a 3DS, I've played both systems quite a bit, and I still find myself wishing the gamepad was portable.

Zyste
Jan 8, 2002

"Do you want this back?"
OK. I'm probably just super late on this, but I just realized in Super Mario World 3D you can get in the Koopa shells! I probably spent like 20 min just messing with that mechanic. I love this game!

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

Zyste posted:

OK. I'm probably just super late on this, but I just realized in Super Mario World 3D you can get in the Koopa shells! I probably spent like 20 min just messing with that mechanic. I love this game!

Welp, now I know what I'm doing when I get home

Christ, I 100%ed the game (every level, every character) and didn't know.

Afro
May 29, 2007

Mother Earth is pregnant for the third time
For y'all have knocked her up
I have tasted the maggots in the mind of the universe
I was not offended
For I knew I had to rise above it all
Or drown in my own shit

Niemat posted:

I have a 3DS, I've played both systems quite a bit, and I still find myself wishing the gamepad was portable.

Yeah. So much so I bought a second copy of Shovel Knight for my 3DS just to play it on the go.

Zonekeeper
Oct 27, 2007

Mr. Neutron posted:

The DPAD on the Pro Controller is extremely stiff and uncomfortable, I originally thought I would also use it on PC for MK9 and Injustice but nah.

Stiff or not, it's still a Nintendo dpad. It's the same design we know and love, it just feels like they're using a stiffer contact pad between the DPAd and the board. Probably just needs to be worn in. Failing that, perhaps a mod involving swapping in an SNES controller's rubber contact pad would work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zyste
Jan 8, 2002

"Do you want this back?"

Not a Children posted:

Welp, now I know what I'm doing when I get home

Christ, I 100%ed the game (every level, every character) and didn't know.

Yeah. You just hit ZR while holding one. I only found out because the title screen was running for a bit. They actually show you quite a few mechanics during that.

• Locked thread