Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Elissia
Dec 28, 2012

Mortimer posted:

what about a kickstarter for 300k to give kids illnesses I had as a child

I will personally give your kid chickenpox, measles is a stretch goal

for $1M I will crack open those smallpox vials they found at NIH last week and we'll see what happens

Do you need someone to do the legwork? I would happily cough/sneeze in thousands of child faces for a quarter of that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

.... and back down to $56,000.
... and back up to $70,000!

And now it's back below $45,000! It's a potato salad roller coaster!

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Germstore posted:

If all that money comes through he can not work for a year or so, and take care of the haikus at a leisurely pace.

Edit: Actually I'm not sure I'd want to explain a resume hole with, "yeah, I took a couple years to write thousands of potato salad haikus."

It would be evidence of reliability and honesty, unlike taking $50k and running. That will only get you a job in law or banking.

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
fight money in politics by giving a shitload of money to a fake political campaign

pee pee

doo doo

he is a bad president kickstarter

Great Rumbler
Jan 30, 2013

For I am a dog, you see.

quote:

... and back up to $70,000!

And now it's back below $45,000! It's a potato salad roller coaster!

It's not exactly surprising that the a lot of the pledges to this are troll pledges, and since the goal is only $10 there's minimal risk involved.

Noyemi K
Dec 9, 2012

youll always be so sleepy when youre this tiny *plompf*
This can't just be parody, it's obviously some effort to get a little bit of that monkey cheese money. Wonder how much money they could have made with the equivalent effort of the average KS though.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Noyemi K posted:

This can't just be parody, it's obviously some effort to get a little bit of that monkey cheese money. Wonder how much money they could have made with the equivalent effort of the average KS though.

I'm pretty sure he was as surprised as anyone else was when it took off like it did. His early stretch goal updates are hilariously naive in retrospect:

quote:

A BIG STRETCH GOAL:

We're really tearing through these stretch goals. I honestly don't know what is realistic anymore. So, I thought maybe we try to double the current number?

$3000: My kitchen is too small! I will rent out a party hall and invite the whole internet to the potato salad party (only $10 and above will be allowed in the kitchen)! The internet loves potato salad! Let's show them that potato salad loves the internet!!

He was flipping out when it was only at $1,500. :allears:

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

Your plastic pal who's fun to be with!

I'm pretty sure he was as surprised as anyone else was when it took off like it did. His early stretch goal updates are hilariously naive in retrospect.

He was flipping out when it was only at $1,500. :allears:

NEW STRETCH GOAL: If he makes 100k he has to legally change his name to Zach Potato Salad

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Plaguing your posts with incidental music.
Yeah I mean the original is clearly just a guy who was trying to do something silly only to have it explode. Not parody and not an attempt to fleece people, just 'ha ha ha I will do somehting dumb on the internet as a joke for me and my buddies'.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Excels posted:

NEW STRETCH GOAL: If he makes 100k he has to legally change his name to Zach Potato Salad

Zach Potato 'Danger' Salad

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

A Serious Candidate For a Serious Time

Zach Potato 'Danger' Salad

Actually my name is 'Potato Salad.'

It says you're named 'Danger Salad.'

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
Zorak must be pissed. He could have been the Retsuparae of ironyfunding

Noyemi K
Dec 9, 2012

youll always be so sleepy when youre this tiny *plompf*

I'm pretty sure he was as surprised as anyone else was when it took off like it did. His early stretch goal updates are hilariously naive in retrospect:

I wasn't talking about Potato Salad dude, I'm talking about asshats like Tater Tot Casserole Guy, etc.

"Blah blah- way better than potato salad! At least five bucks but preferably multiple tens of thousands please!"

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Can I be like the homeless guy who's sign says "just gonna buy booze" or would that be too sincere?

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/812398259/half-life-3

quote:

No we haven't approached Valve about this, this will be released under a different name and concept but it will in-fact just be half-life 3, we are naming it half life 3 at present just so fans know what we are actually doing rather than coming up with a new name game from the start that people are more likely to pass by not knowing what it actually is

:allears:

Rarely have I seen a project cancelled so fast.

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.
Ł1500 for a 6-person team to develop a modern FPS that would be taking the place of a hugely anticipated game. Okay.

quote:

as valve seem set on not re-creating a half life 3 then we are looking to steal the market for this ourselves
Also this is the most oblivious thing ever.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
The Potato Salad guy has already had to post an update apologising for some stuff. He apparently used some photographer's photo without permission and used his fame to shill some local business and he's very sorry.

quote:

I love you all. Thank you for sticking with me. I promise I won't let you down.

Peace, Love, Forgiveness? Thanks again for your support. Onward.
The comments section on his project is also full of people bitching about things and Kickstarter have had to delete a bunch of comments.
Internet fame always has a downside and he's still got 3 more weeks of this to put up with. :allears:

null_user01013
Nov 13, 2000

Drink up comrades

The Potato Salad guy has already had to post an update apologising for some stuff. He apparently used some photographer's photo without permission and used his fame to shill some local business and he's very sorry.

The comments section on his project is also full of people bitching about things and Kickstarter have had to delete a bunch of comments.
Internet fame always has a downside and he's still got 3 more weeks of this to put up with. :allears:

Yeah, people who pay $10 to post somewhere tend to get a bit crazy when it comes to anything that slightly offends them.

cyberia
Jun 24, 2011

Do not call me that!
Snuffles was my slave name.
You shall now call me Snowball; because my fur is pretty and white.
I would like $65,000 to get a degree in songwriting. Notable features of this project include no examples of the person's work and only one pledge tier of $25 limited to five backers.

Help me erase the stigma of mental illness by giving me the funds to print my absolutely loving crazy t-shirts. If you pledge $1000 the project creator will stomp out stigma single-handedly.

I want to start a pastry-based food truck but I don't actually have a driver's licence. For unknown reasons the target amount of this project is $2 and both the pitch and reward tiers are written in charmingly broken English by a Quebecois native. Good to see that incompetent / borderline-scam kickstarters are not limited to the US.

I need One Million Earth Dollars to make a new Tim Burton Batman movie. Risks include the fact that Tim Burton and Michael Keaton are both old as gently caress now and may not actually be onboard with making a new batman movie with a random goon from the internet. Also only has one pledge tier of $1 minimum and offers no tangible rewards.

Pay me $20,000 to write a book of 'filthy fables'. Features a one-sentence pitch with no actual information about what a 'filthy fable' is or why we should bankroll the creation of said fables. Also only has one pledge tier of $250 to receive a copy of the book and will only ship the finished product within Australia.

It continues to astonish me how many kickstarter projects seem to be created by people that are completely delusional and have no idea how kickstarter is meant to work. These people are, presumably, intelligent enough to operate a computer and create a kickstarter project but can't figure out how to stagger (or even offer) pledge tiers or how to write a vaguely coherent pitch.

echopapa
Jun 2, 2005

El Presidente smiles upon this thread.

cyberia posted:

I need One Million Earth Dollars to make a new Tim Burton Batman movie. Risks include the fact that Tim Burton and Michael Keaton are both old as gently caress now and may not actually be onboard with making a new batman movie with a random goon from the internet. Also only has one pledge tier of $1 minimum and offers no tangible rewards.

Well, Keaton is kinda sorta making a new Batman.

The Supreme Court
Feb 25, 2010

Pirate World: Nearly done!

AxeManiac posted:

Yeah, people who pay $10 to post somewhere tend to get a bit crazy when it comes to anything that slightly offends them.

:drat:

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe

I think that was the joke.

canis minor
May 4, 2011

cyberia posted:

Pay me $20,000 to write a book of 'filthy fables'. Features a one-sentence pitch with no actual information about what a 'filthy fable' is or why we should bankroll the creation of said fables. Also only has one pledge tier of $250 to receive a copy of the book and will only ship the finished product within Australia.

Didn't Anne Rice do that?

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer
This HILARIOUS game based on a bunch of HILARIOUS memes already got 26900% its funding goal!

"How?" one might ask. Well, the answer is simple. Because the goal is only $1game is THAT good.

Gyra_Solune
Apr 24, 2014

Kyun kyun
Kyun kyun
Watashi no kare wa louse

Mehuyael posted:

This HILARIOUS game based on a bunch of HILARIOUS memes already got 26900% its funding goal!

"How?" one might ask. Well, the answer is simple. Because the goal is only $1game is THAT good.

It also comes with Pones Edition

This is like the most 4chan thing ever.

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood
Is that the first "meme" project that didn't wholesale steal the art from the ulcerated sphincter of the cheeseburger network?

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Mehuyael posted:

$1: Viva la Kickstarter flexible funding

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter
Doesn't the creator of those dumb faces sue the poo poo out of any commercial project he sees using them?

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Elliotw2 posted:

Doesn't the creator of those dumb faces sue the poo poo out of any commercial project he sees using them?

no no you see these are different colors

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Mehuyael posted:

It's going to get shut down with C&D orders from multiple meme owners long before those 60 days are up. The rage face guy viciously defends his control over the image IIRC.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Elliotw2 posted:

A few of them don't have any clear creator, but they're also all ones people don't like that much.

RiSK
Dec 9, 2006

The Red Rocket Rifle
Man, my dude Craig has some pretty sick ideas for tricking out a few Pontiac Azteks!

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1654598693/pontiac-aztek-conservation-and-customizing

quote:

Everyone has an opinion about the Aztek, which bodes well for it's future in museums and car shows.

... you do mean junkyards, right?

I don't know if my favorite part is that he seems dead serious about this or the fact that if everyone pledged the minimum, the project wouldn't hit its goal.

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

Your plastic pal who's fun to be with!

Elliotw2 posted:

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012
That's the best thing in the world

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012
Genuinely considering buying that

Cockmaster
Feb 24, 2002
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/57616998/green-drive-full-size-car-prototype?ref=category

quote:

What is Green Drive?

We have to be very careful that we don't give away our idea otherwise other developers might steal it!

The basic concept, you will never need to refuel your car ever again with diesel or petrol.

How does it work?

Simply you will be able to drive as you do now without the need to stop and refuel. We cannot share too much information due to the security of this idea.

Your car will refuel by itself without you consciously needing to remember.

Seriously, these guys aren't even trying.

Masonity
Dec 31, 2007

What, I wonder, does this hidden face of madness reveal of the makers? These K'Chain Che'Malle?

It's a vampiric AI chip. When you sleep your car drives itself around siphoning fuel off other vehicles.

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.
I don't understand how people think this will fly. A scammer would have to realize that Kickstarter would notice a project hitting $685,000 and do something about it. That makes me think this is actually a project by one of the various loons who strongly believe in impossible science and think they can violate every known law of physics if they just get the funding

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Elysiume posted:

I don't understand how people think this will fly. A scammer would have to realize that Kickstarter would notice a project hitting $685,000 and do something about it. That makes me think this is actually a project by one of the various loons who strongly believe in impossible science and think they can violate every known law of physics if they just get the funding

Well hey, thermodynamics is “just a theory” after all. :D

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Asphyxious
Jun 25, 2012

I'm trying to explain that I'm a person who wishes to live a very quiet life.

A Fancy 400 lbs posted:

of course the people defending potato salad donators are amanda palmer defenders, lmfao

#notallamandapalmerdefenders